User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 499 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #30196
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,950
Any of you guys know where I can buy some Wheels Mfg brass ferrules in quantities less than 50? I need 10 each of 4mm and 5mm.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #30197
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Any of you guys know where I can buy some Wheels Mfg brass ferrules in quantities less than 50? I need 10 each of 4mm and 5mm.
try your LBS

I'll give away that few to someone that asks nicely...

M
Old 07-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #30198
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
try your LBS

I'll give away that few to someone that asks nicely...

M
BTDT, everyone I've asked carries the standard silver cheapies but not the Brass and they're unwilling to order two bottles of 50 for a single customer request...

Edit: Screw it... I'll order two packs of 50, use what I need and sell the rest in baggies of 10 on Fleabay to recoup the money.

Ridge screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 12:39 PM
Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #30199
ericm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
The rear wheel on my Roubaix goes wonky every few weeks. I have to pull the wheel, tire and rim strip to tweak it back.
Unless it is a very low spoke count build on a flexy rim or you are unusually hard on wheels, it should be fine for your weight.
Stock wheels on bikes generally use relatively sturdy rims and enough spokes. However their assembly may leave something to be desired. It sounds like your wheel does not have enough tension or the tension is uneven.

If you don't have a tensiometer you can have a good LBS retension it. If you work on wheels enough to have a truing stand the cheap Park tensiometer is worth getting.

Today I did a short moderate intensity ride (2 hours, 4000' of climbing) and then rode my motorcycle to work. Days when I can ride bicycle and motorcycle are good days.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #30200
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,826
I'd guess early 80's to mid 80's. Mid to high grade. Not top shelf. Maybe SL, I'm betting not SLX, or later. No later than 84.

What is the inside diameter of the seat tube? If it's the usual 25.4mm or (1.00in) then it's maybe something good. The BB though looks French to me. The chain stay drive side kink looks unlike Italian stuff. I'm guessing non-butted steel.

Quote:
Looks late 80s to mid-90s based on what I can see. If you look down the seat tube and see rifling around the bottom ~6" of the tube, its SLX. If you see rifling all the way up, its TSX. The rest? Hard to say.

Chances are its Aelle or possibly Cromor, or a combo of decent main tubes and so-so chain- and seat-stays aka tre-tubi. Hard to say without knowing what came on it originally. More $$ spent = higher grade tubesets.

HTH

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #30201
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Low spoke count is my guess. Roval some such stockers. Radial on the static side, 2X on the drive side. One spoke broke once and that was the one time it has been in the LBS for service. Took a week to get the spoke on special order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
Unless it is a very low spoke count build on a flexy rim or you are unusually hard on wheels, it should be fine for your weight.
Stock wheels on bikes generally use relatively sturdy rims and enough spokes. However their assembly may leave something to be desired. It sounds like your wheel does not have enough tension or the tension is uneven.

If you don't have a tensiometer you can have a good LBS retension it. If you work on wheels enough to have a truing stand the cheap Park tensiometer is worth getting.

Today I did a short moderate intensity ride (2 hours, 4000' of climbing) and then rode my motorcycle to work. Days when I can ride bicycle and motorcycle are good days.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #30202
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I'm calling this one the Bird Shit Ride.

Guess why?

Yeah splat, spatter, splat. Yuck!

Anyway I got out of the cube farm early or only marginally late. Got home just before the traffic went into full throttle stupid mode. The boneheads are out today. I guess the end of the month or something they all need to get their clown-moves in.
I felt like stone for the whole way into the wind. Just could not get myself to spin up on top of a gear. Any gear. So, I turned around at the pond and headed back home. Determined to get spinning with the big tail wind.
And I did.
Wasn't magic but I got going. Still doesn't really feel like power yet. My neck had been pretty sore form Sunday's effort, and I only felt a few tweaks. Doesn't feel so bad now though.
My back is definitely getting better with each ride. And that is why I'm out there.
Anyway it felt better on the way home and now I feel better. That is the bonus. I sort of had an attitude when I left work, actually when I walked in this morning I didn't want to be there. Then I went to the cafeteria to grab some lunch early since We had a stupid status meeting during the normal lunch hour.
And I was thinking salad. Good idea, but then I see a shrimp fajita salad. Sure fire it up. Cafeteria shellfish. What's the worst that could happen?
I got lucky so far anyway.

Anyway, I feel better and here is your moment of Strava:
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 07-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #30203
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
So today's Wed right? Guess who woke up with a headache on his day off. Rather: guess who's headache woke him up on his day off? More accurate question.

Mowed half of my 'half' of the yard. Changed the right shifter on the mtn bike. Finished truing/tensioning my rear 38mm carbon tubular I got from china. Took a nap.

...then said 'eff it! I'm going to the Wed ride despite feeling crappy.'

So I schlepped myself over to Haymarket. Just before the town limit sign, the skies open up. Hmmm no bueno, but I'm here, effit! I'll ride anyway.

Yes, I was dropped on the first hill again. One of these days...

There was a guy behind me that probably should've gone on the B ride, but hey! the more the merrier, right?! So we pacelined down to the Plains with me taking more/longer pulls and waiting for him on the hills.

The next little bit is something of a blur as I wandered into and out of a lactic acid-induced haze. I remember being OTF for a bit till the attacks started coming thick and fast, then hanging on for dear life for a bit till I recovered.

Managed to tag on to the back of the Cat 1 and the Cat 2 that were working together at the first sprint, but I didn't have the legs to sprint and sat up. Still came in 5th or so despite not sprinting, but I gotta work on that somehow.

The second lap was going to be a repeat of the first till the skies opened up in a rainstorm of biblical proportion. Rain hurts! I started to get chilly, so got my ass on the front and pulled at just below where I blow up for a bit.

...then the attacks started again and I didn't have anything left. 4 of us got dropped and were working together to catch on. Only way we did catch was a stop sign and traffic coming. :whew Still raining cats and dogs, mind you.

At this point, I'm riding by braille 'cause my glasses are so fogged I can hardly see thru em. Every once in a while, they'd clear up and I could see something but otherwise, I was relying on memory of the road to avoid stuff. Mostly worked.

So right before the 4 of us caught up to the other 5, a truck passes us and yells 'go home!' at us. Thinking to myself: Umm dood. Unless you have a Star Trek transporter beam in that truck I don't know about, we ARE going home. None of us live out in The Plains.

Like yelling 'go home!' is going to magically make us disappear?

I've decided that the minute someone opens their mouth to yell at me out their window, that their opinion doesn't matter 'cause they're obviously too stupid to have figured 'it' out.

My usual answer to pretty much anything yelled at me out the window has become 'I love you too!' with a big grin and a wave.

Back to the ride 'cause that was pretty much the only idiot on the ride tonite (other than the person that HAD to pass a line of 15-20 riders to turn 100m down the road ) So coming out of The Plains B and S were toodling on the front. My HR had dropped down into the 90s and I was getting chilly.

Then the attack happened.

Then the chase started.

Then we all caught up after some of the hardest riding I've done in a while.

For which I paid a little later as we got to the 'steep' section of Waterfall Rd. Waterfall 'steps' up in both directions. The 'out' side is much steeper and shorter. The 'in' side is longer and gentler. I can *usually* hang on the 'in' portion of the ride.

Not so tonite. Got popped right before the 'steep' section and that's all she wrote. My riding buddy, B, droped off with me and we 2-man TTed it all the way to the sprint line. I was trying to keep speeds of ~25-26mph when I was pulling. We slowed down some towards the end, but that's because the road rises slightly. There's only so long I can keep my HR right below 150. I'd reached that point a while ago but kept pushing and hoping. Once the speed ratcheted up that little bit more, I didn't have it.

My head doesn't hurt nearly as much as it did 'cause my legs were hurting more. Kinda like that old 'I can step on your toe...' theory of headache abatement: make something else hurt more than your head.

The guy that I rode with to The Plans? Turned around and headed back. He was in over his head. Least he knew where he was.

Hope your ride went well.

M
Old 08-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #30204
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
So right before the 4 of us caught up to the other 5, a truck passes us and yells 'go home!' at us. Thinking to myself: Umm dood. Unless you have a Star Trek transporter beam in that truck I don't know about, we ARE going home. None of us live out in The Plains.

Like yelling 'go home!' is going to magically make us disappear?

I've decided that the minute someone opens their mouth to yell at me out their window, that their opinion doesn't matter 'cause they're obviously too stupid to have figured 'it' out.

My usual answer to pretty much anything yelled at me out the window has become 'I love you too!' with a big grin and a wave.
Arguing with redneck logic is like asking a cow to take a dump in a toilet. It's just not going to end well...
Old 08-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #30205
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Strava observations...

Last night I was able to go on my weekly (if I'm lucky) ride. My riding buddy has the Strava iphone app and I use a Garmin Edge 500, then I upload the file from my computer to Strava, if I want to.

I started my timer just before we started the ride, but my buddy forgot to start his until we were at least 1/4 mile into it. My stats for the ride were 30.6 miles at 16.0 mph avg. His were 31.2 at 16.5 mph . Considering I was the lead rider 99% of the time, I'm not sure how he went .6 miles further than I did. Also, there was one climbing segment that we both tried to do well on. He started it maybe a bike length ahead of me, but I passed him and finished several bike lengths ahead. Strava said he did the climb two seconds faster than I did.

My buddy gets pretty wrapped up with his segment times and rankings. I think this just shows how they don't mean much except as a reference to your own past performance. He's a premium member though, so maybe he gets bonus miles or something

2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #30206
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,447
Quote:
So right before the 4 of us caught up to the other 5, a truck passes us and yells 'go home!' at us. Thinking to myself: Umm dood. Unless you have a Star Trek transporter beam in that truck I don't know about, we ARE going home.
Honestly, and this might be a hot-button, but this sort of thing is why I'm in favor of open-carry for cyclists.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #30207
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Last night I was able to go on my weekly (if I'm lucky) ride. My riding buddy has the Strava iphone app and I use a Garmin Edge 500, then I upload the file from my computer to Strava, if I want to.

I started my timer just before we started the ride, but my buddy forgot to start his until we were at least 1/4 mile into it. My stats for the ride were 30.6 miles at 16.0 mph avg. His were 31.2 at 16.5 mph . Considering I was the lead rider 99% of the time, I'm not sure how he went .6 miles further than I did. Also, there was one climbing segment that we both tried to do well on. He started it maybe a bike length ahead of me, but I passed him and finished several bike lengths ahead. Strava said he did the climb two seconds faster than I did.

My buddy gets pretty wrapped up with his segment times and rankings. I think this just shows how they don't mean much except as a reference to your own past performance. He's a premium member though, so maybe he gets bonus miles or something
Strava's website says that even under ideal conditions (where it sees eight satelites), distance measurements are only accurate to within 7 meters (23 feet). I've seen even worse miscalculations than the one you report. On one segment, I currently hold the 2nd fastest time, with an average speed of 30.4 mph. First place is listed as 31.6 mph, but if you click on the Performance tab, you'll find that at no time did that rider exceed 29 mph, and most of the time he was below that. So how could his 'average speed' possibly be 2.6 mph higher than his fastest speed?

Strava's support staff explained it this way:

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this. In general the average speed calculated over a segment can be different than a user's actual average speed. This is because the calculated segment average speed uses the segment distance and the users time on the segment but the users time on the segment can be from a shorter distance than the actual segment distance. So they're timed over .56 miles but the segment distance is .6 miles. This causes the average speed over that segment to be exaggerated.

However, there can be other reasons for this as well. For example, if the user is using a speed sensor that is incorrectly calibrated. The speeds that appear on their activity data will be from their speed sensor, which may be too slow, but their actual speed could be higher.

Unfortunately there is no way to really correct this or be more accurate about this unless and until we start using GPS point interpolation. I apologize for any inaccuracies.

Cheers,
Travis
Strava Support Team
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #30208
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 14,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Strava's website says .......

Are you this competitive in everything?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #30209
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Are you this competitive in everything?
I don't see the point of commiting myself to anything unless I do it to the best of my ability.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #30210
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

The Garmin 2610 I use mostly on the motorcycle has returned some odd top speeds.

Somewhere I have a shot showing more than 600 mph.
A funny thing, my Specialized Cycling computer would pick up the drive shaft or trans speed sensor in a Chrysler 300 rental car I have up in Everett. I'd get back to the hotel and see max speeds exceeding 60 mph and really big distance numbers.
On my iPhone 4 I use STRAVA, but I also have MotionX GPS that I'm told if I turn that on, the whole GPS is better/more accurate. No idea if that is true. But, my STRAVA distances align closely to my cycle computer. As long as I keep the computer out of Chryslers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Strava's website says that even under ideal conditions (where it sees eight satelites), distance measurements are only accurate to within 7 meters (23 feet). I've seen even worse miscalculations than the one you report. On one segment, I currently hold the 2nd fastest time, with an average speed of 30.4 mph. First place is listed as 31.6 mph, but if you click on the Performance tab, you'll find that at no time did that rider exceed 29 mph, and most of the time he was below that. So how could his 'average speed' possibly be 2.6 mph higher than his fastest speed?

Strava's support staff explained it this way:

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this. In general the average speed calculated over a segment can be different than a user's actual average speed. This is because the calculated segment average speed uses the segment distance and the users time on the segment but the users time on the segment can be from a shorter distance than the actual segment distance. So they're timed over .56 miles but the segment distance is .6 miles. This causes the average speed over that segment to be exaggerated.

However, there can be other reasons for this as well. For example, if the user is using a speed sensor that is incorrectly calibrated. The speeds that appear on their activity data will be from their speed sensor, which may be too slow, but their actual speed could be higher.

Unfortunately there is no way to really correct this or be more accurate about this unless and until we start using GPS point interpolation. I apologize for any inaccuracies.

Cheers,
Travis
Strava Support Team
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: