User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 275 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #30211
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,886
All y'all that rode today suck. Right about the time it was time to get dressed to go mtn biking another thunderstorm rolled through.

While I'm not adverse to riding in the rain, the trails aren't so appreciative.

So I went home instead.

M
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #30212
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,800
No riding for K7

Between kissing the pavement on July 5th followed by bronchitis followed by vacation late next week, this will be the longest period I've been off the bike in three years.

It sucks too.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #30213
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Between kissing the pavement on July 5th followed by bronchitis followed by vacation late next week, this will be the longest period I've been off the bike in three years.

It sucks too.
Think of it as 'rest weeks.' Allows you to regain motivation among other things.

M
Old 07-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #30214
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,921
I had extended family come in last night, late. Late to coffee, then back to putter around the house doing chores.
I did true up that rear wheel though.
Replaced a bunch of burned out lights, and almost got the last pieces of trim into the powder room. Washed my nasty motorcycle jacket and my helmet. That poor thing is worn out. Smells a lot better now, I sure hope it dries by Monday.
Tomorrow I'll get a ride in. Should be nice and windy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
All y'all that rode today suck. Right about the time it was time to get dressed to go mtn biking another thunderstorm rolled through.

While I'm not adverse to riding in the rain, the trails aren't so appreciative.

So I went home instead.

M
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #30215
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,578
Racing 100 miles in the dirt is stupid... so I only did 98.

They re-routed the course last minute to avoid some bridges that were out. Pennsylvania has a metric-shit-load of rocks!

Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #30216
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

They re-routed the course last minute to avoid some bridges that were out. Pennsylvania has a metric-shit-load of rocks!

Back when I did enduros we called them "rock gardens" .

How'd you do?
Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #30217
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,246
Strava sucks!

I was in a near panic this morning when I received this message from Strava:

"You just lost your KOM on Panera uphill final...SPRINT!! to Raffy Soriano by 4 seconds."

Turns out to be bullshit. Soriano didn't beat my record at all, he just tied it. I'm gonna sue Strava for the mental distress their mistake caused me.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #30218
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Wow!

Quote:

Facebook
Smugmug
Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #30219
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Ridge
Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #30220
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:

Hard Core!!!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #30221
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Couldn't get myself to Newport Coast, turned around at Fashion Island.

That was a hard ride. Max was only 170, but averaged 139.

Four hours work:

Caught a big guy that came past real fast. I chased on the way out for a mile or two and caught him on the first little jump back up from under an overpass.
I stayed out front for about 8 miles. At 6 from the beach the wind really kicked up, by 4 I was done.
He came back by, I couldn't keep up.

Rode south on PCH after a natural break and taking on more water at the tower 2 rest. By the time I got to Fashion Island I knew that was going to be my turn for today. My legs were beginning to tell me I was a dumbass.
Another fast guy came by on PCH, I caught up at the next long light. He took off in way too big a gear, sort of stood on it and just stayed there.
I rode by, he must have turned off, at least he was gone by the time I got to the river trail.

Caught a pair of young people training for a tri. Slowed down form the red-zone speed I was doing to sit on and talk, and recover. She missed the turn across the bridge and I stopped at the Fill station to add more water and use the facilities. I caught back up as they had gone up the east side of the golf course at the next overpass east.
Hugh with them for a bit until they u-turned at about mile 16. By the time I got to the regional park I needed some Gu and lots more water. No shade and a light wind had my legs at the edge of cramps.
The Gu worked it's magic, one bottle of water there, then back on the trail. I'd caught a couple of guys who had been motoring along at about 20, right about the time I pulled off. I caught back up to them a half mile form my turn up the hill.
They had slowed down a lot.
Like I was doing 18 and went by like they were painted on the fence.
The one guy might have lost some Trek stickers on that one.

The climb.
Damn, that was tough. I had to drop into the triple, but didn't have to climb all the way to the basement to get up the hills. No shade this time of day out there and back in the houses like it is there is no wind.
Just heat. Those last two bottles got me home.
Legs up rest and a fresh cold bottle of water later, I'm beginning to feel almost normal.

Just about time to go finish the chores, then to bed early for sure.
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #30222
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:

Are you shitting me!!! 11k of climbing on dirt, and i'm assuming they weren't roads.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #30223
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,578
Probably 30% of it was singletrack... rocky, snap-your-leg-in-pieces singletrack. The remainder was double track and jeep trails. The only pavement was at the start/finish, leaving the town we were in. I managed to bounce my rear chain stay off a nice rock whilst trying to avoid hucking my body off a cliff to a meat grinder demise. I now have a sweet dent in my drive side chain stay and the derailleur is out-of-whack. Gotta see if I can find some frame repair.

Couple of sweet bruises and cuts but intact for the most part. Luckily it did not rain on the course or I seriously might not be here to type this. Those rocks were dangerous enough without being wet.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #30224
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Probably 30% of it was singletrack... rocky, snap-your-leg-in-pieces singletrack. The remainder was double track and jeep trails. The only pavement was at the start/finish, leaving the town we were in. I managed to bounce my rear chain stay off a nice rock whilst trying to avoid hucking my body off a cliff to a meat grinder demise. I now have a sweet dent in my drive side chain stay and the derailleur is out-of-whack. Gotta see if I can find some frame repair.

Couple of sweet bruises and cuts but intact for the most part. Luckily it did not rain on the course or I seriously might not be here to type this. Those rocks were dangerous enough without being wet.

Totally Badass! I might sign up for next year
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #30225
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Well the CX bike is pretty cool. It rolls really well and rides pretty smooth The gearing will take some getting used to, I am still trying to get the tension on my clipless pedals set properly, need to adjust my cleats as well. Just the normal fine tuning stuff, seat angle and for/aft positioning, etc...Biggest adjustment for me is going back to rim brakes, and canti's at that. Hydro disc spoiled me. Need to practice wheelies too the short wheelbase is different All in all I am pretty happy. I did lose 2.5lbs this week, trying to pedal my way back below 170lbs. Im down about 13 total since the middle of June.

In riding form but no water in the water bottles it was 17.5lbs on the bathroom scale.

Shake down ride was 25 miles, I just did an out and back to try to stay in cell service incase of a major mechanical.

Great ride, I was on the road by 7:30, didnt have a single car pass me in 2 hours, saw more deer, goats and atv's then people

SuperX by Rider_wv, on Flickr

SuperX 2 by Rider_wv, on Flickr

Strava App and Garmin dont always jive. Garmin said 1800ft, Strava said 1450ft,
Yes I hillbilly engineered my Montana to the stem

Picture 007 by Rider_wv, on Flickr

I squeezed in 20 flat miles yesterday. I had been fighting a migraine most of the morning. Uploaded from .gpx and it did the stupid straight line crap again and added 9 miles on the ride. It was 20 miles with an average of 15.4mph.
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: