Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #30226
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I was in a near panic this morning when I received this message from Strava:

"You just lost your KOM on Panera uphill final...SPRINT!! to Raffy Soriano by 4 seconds."

Turns out to be bullshit. Soriano didn't beat my record at all, he just tied it. I'm gonna sue Strava for the mental distress their mistake caused me.
Do you also go by Dimitri?

Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #30227
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
RAGBRAI ended on Saturday afternoon. The wife and I rode every day except Monday (which was also the longest day). Had to pick one day to drive the team vehicle so I figured I may as well pick the hardest one

Hit the road most days around 8:30am, which meant that pretty much everybody else was already on the road. Most days were right around 50 miles and we finished up around 3pm most of the time. Longest ride I'd gone on this year previously had been about 33 miles but doing more miles is easy when you've got all day and there are plenty of places to stop. 62-odd miles on the last day was my all-time record, but beautiful weather and a bitchin' tailwind made it easy.

A few pics:

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #30228
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,094
awsome El Guero & wife !!

How'd the seat work out ?

zippy screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 08:21 AM Reason: spelln
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #30229
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
awsome El Guero & wife !!

How'd the seat work out ?
Pretty good actually, I think I'm going to buy one. Only problem was that it was breaking in during the whole ride. So I'd do 40 miles and it would feel great and then my ass would start hurting. So I'd tighten up the leather a little bit and then it would feel great again. Then another 40 miles later my ass would start hurting again. So I put a little more tension on it. By the end, I'd figured out how to keep the tension where I wanted it and it worked great. I wasn't really interested in a seat with that much maintenance but it takes all of 15 seconds to get the tension right so I think I can deal with it.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #30230
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,516
Awesome El Guero!
You might have caught me napping at my campsite in that fourth shot.

I hope I'm able to do that ride next year. I need to coordinate work schedules and training so I'm ready. I don't intend to be in any pain during a ride like that. Right now I can ride one long day, then I'm beat for three and have to ride easy, shorter days.

It looks like there was plenty of good food there. I'd need a motor by the end to pull me and all that pie and beer.

Mr Head screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 08:53 AM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #30231
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Racing these ultra-endurance mountain bike events is truly a life-altering challenge. I don't say that to be trivial or melodramatic... pedaling alone, in the remote wilderness, for 100 miles will cause you to reflect internally on your highest and lowest life moments.

That much solitude, combined with digging into deep, deep reserves of mental strength to continue the physical stresses of forward progression will swing you wildly from temporary moments of Zen immediately followed with vile, Tourette's-level of cursed epithets at the cycling gods... It's cathartic.

I've come to accept that I'll never be the guy on the podium at one of these events. It's not about that... truly. Entering an ultra race has more to do with soul searching and exploring the limits of my own abilities than overall placement. I'm not saying I go out there and soft-pedal the whole thing; I'm still racing the clock and pushing my body to its breaking point in every race but I've experienced these transcendental moments of reality that makes one appreciate being alive. It's those moments that I reflect on most often after an event.

This past weekend I raced the Wilderness101 ultra in Coburn, PA. It has a reputation as one of the most historically epic races on the east coast and I now understand why. Coburn sits at, almost, the geographical center of Pennsylvania. State College (home of Penn State) is the nearest city and there are hundreds of miles of wilderness in every direction. Gravel roads and deserted hunting shacks dot the hills and landscape over some of the oldest geographic features in the nation.

Rocks, rocks everywhere! I now understand why Pennsylvania is called the Keystone state. Every trail and off-pavement "road" is littered with rocks in every shape and size you can imagine. They start out small and harmless but quickly transition into immense boulders felled from turn-of-the century rail tunnels that would crush a car. The rocks are half-buried at times and jut out from the earth in blade-like formations along the trail. They sit idly by like the black widow silently awaiting her prey. One wrong move or mis-placed tire will thrust your foot into a crevice or along loose scree that sends your foot scrambling for traction. Picking your way through miles and miles of single track literally covered in every direction with rocks the size of car wheels will test your ability to maintain composure and calm. There is no clean line to ride over them. It's just point and shoot at every turn of the pedals. The crank arms hit and bounce along the tops of the rocks just to remind you that you are not in charge... they are.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #30232
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I hope I'm able to do that ride next year. I need to coordinate work schedules and training so I'm ready. I don't intend to be in any pain during a ride like that. Right now I can ride one long day, then I'm beat for three and have to ride easy, shorter days.
You just have to learn to pace yourself... I did a little over 300 miles of riding last week, which is about 8-10x what I usually do in a week of commuting. You've got all day, there's no hurry, just pedal 10 miles, take a break, have something to eat, take a nap, go pedal some more. Nothing like what Ridge is up to now

But seriously, people of all kinds of fitness levels were out there. I just made sure that I was aerobic every time I went up a hill, no matter how long it took me. And if it was a really tough hill, somebody had always set up a water and banana stand at the top of it Assuming I'm doing it again next year, I think I will try to ride more and lose some more weight in preparation, just to make it more enjoyable since the route will probably be more difficult. But, that wasn't necessary to have a good time this year.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #30233
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I'm real sure I'll never even think about trying this. But, amazing.
I drove around a lot semi-GARMIN-lost in central Penn when I was out there for work this Spring, (Our spring still pretty much winter there judging by how cold I was all the time). And found it to be steep hills and narrow valleys. I only strayed off on a couple of trails, and a little hiking but rain forced me back tot he car and Starbucks. I am after all a GS Adventure rider.

Part of the reason I came back to cycling was to get fitter for riding that big pig of mine, but mostly for the fitness. I'd always judged mtb as about three times harder than road cycling partly due to the wheel mass, but mostly because of that terrain awareness thing. You don't get to relax much. 20 miles wears me out, 100 would leave me dead somewhere under a bush.
Being out there all alone though is cool, creepy at times, but cool.
Like when I fell off on a steep section at Mountain Lion Access and when I put a hand down to get up, noticed the paw print next time my hand.
Dusk, nobody knows where I am, other than away on the bike, and no cell connection. Zero traffic after work during the week. Yeah, that part of the alone is creepy. The part where I ride for seven miles and I'm away from everything that is the usual in Orange County, that is the cool part. Ride around a corner from desert blazing sun into canyon shade with song birds.
And snakes!

More of the creepy... For now my mtb is still hanging upside down in the garage. I'll have to drag that thing down and do some harder core climbing training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Racing these ultra-endurance mountain bike events is truly a life-altering challenge. I don't say that to be trivial or melodramatic... pedaling alone, in the remote wilderness, for 100 miles will cause you to reflect internally on your highest and lowest life moments.

That much solitude, combined with digging into deep, deep reserves of mental strength to continue the physical stresses of forward progression will swing you wildly from temporary moments of Zen immediately followed with vile, Tourette's-level of cursed epithets at the cycling gods... It's cathartic.

I've come to accept that I'll never be the guy on the podium at one of these events. It's not about that... truly. Entering an ultra race has more to do with soul searching and exploring the limits of my own abilities than overall placement. I'm not saying I go out there and soft-pedal the whole thing; I'm still racing the clock and pushing my body to its breaking point in every race but I've experienced these transcendental moments of reality that makes one appreciate being alive. It's those moments that I reflect on most often after an event.

This past weekend I raced the Wilderness101 ultra in Coburn, PA. It has a reputation as one of the most historically epic races on the east coast and I now understand why. Coburn sits at, almost, the geographical center of Pennsylvania. State College (home of Penn State) is the nearest city and there are hundreds of miles of wilderness in every direction. Gravel roads and deserted hunting shacks dot the hills and landscape over some of the oldest geographic features in the nation.

Rocks, rocks everywhere! I now understand why Pennsylvania is called the Keystone state. Every trail and off-pavement "road" is littered with rocks in every shape and size you can imagine. They start out small and harmless but quickly transition into immense boulders felled from turn-of-the century rail tunnels that would crush a car. The rocks are half-buried at times and jut out from the earth in blade-like formations along the trail. They sit idly by like the black widow silently awaiting her prey. One wrong move or mis-placed tire will thrust your foot into a crevice or along loose scree that sends your foot scrambling for traction. Picking your way through miles and miles of single track literally covered in every direction with rocks the size of car wheels will test your ability to maintain composure and calm. There is no clean line to ride over them. It's just point and shoot at every turn of the pedals. The crank arms hit and bounce along the tops of the rocks just to remind you that you are not in charge... they are.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #30234
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Part of me wants to just ride the distance, have that over, then sit and relax. Part of me likes the idea of a day long plod and waddle eating my way across my home state.
Probably end up doing a little of both. 145 mile day? I'd a picked that day to drive as well. Good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
You just have to learn to pace yourself... I did a little over 300 miles of riding last week, which is about 8-10x what I usually do in a week of commuting. You've got all day, there's no hurry, just pedal 10 miles, take a break, have something to eat, take a nap, go pedal some more. Nothing like what Ridge is up to now

But seriously, people of all kinds of fitness levels were out there. I just made sure that I was aerobic every time I went up a hill, no matter how long it took me. And if it was a really tough hill, somebody had always set up a water and banana stand at the top of it Assuming I'm doing it again next year, I think I will try to ride more and lose some more weight in preparation, just to make it more enjoyable since the route will probably be more difficult. But, that wasn't necessary to have a good time this year.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #30235
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
RAGBRAI ended on Saturday afternoon. The wife and I rode every day except Monday (which was also the longest day). Had to pick one day to drive the team vehicle so I figured I may as well pick the hardest one

Hit the road most days around 8:30am, which meant that pretty much everybody else was already on the road. Most days were right around 50 miles and we finished up around 3pm most of the time. Longest ride I'd gone on this year previously had been about 33 miles but doing more miles is easy when you've got all day and there are plenty of places to stop. 62-odd miles on the last day was my all-time record, but beautiful weather and a bitchin' tailwind made it easy.
Seriously awesome. I absolutely LOVE RAGBRAI! I'm bummed that I missed it this year but had to make a choice between it or Wilderness. In hindsight, I'm sure I would have enjoyed Iowa more but at least I now have PA under the belt.

The best features of RAGBRAI (besides the little hotties riding alongside) is the Food! Tom's turkey breast sammich with a smoothie really hits the spot and they are always located perfectly along the route where I'm ready for a break. This is followed closely by Beekman's root beer floats...

Dammit I want a turkey breast sammich now.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #30236
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:

We are not worthy
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #30237
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Seriously awesome. I absolutely LOVE RAGBRAI! I'm bummed that I missed it this year but had to make a choice between it or Wilderness. In hindsight, I'm sure I would have enjoyed Iowa more but at least I now have PA under the belt.

The best features of RAGBRAI (besides the little hotties riding alongside) is the Food! Tom's turkey breast sammich with a smoothie really hits the spot and they are always located perfectly along the route where I'm ready for a break. This is followed closely by Beekman's root beer floats...

Dammit I want a turkey breast sammich now.
Did get Beekmans, but never got around to Tender Toms. There's always next year though

Old 07-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #30238
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Cry

8 Miles into my ride yesterday and boom! My crank self detonated. Just dropped it off at the shop to see what kind of damage I'm in for....

Rajin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #30239
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,620
Ridge

Guero

Congrats to you both. Two very different kinds of riding, but both presenting some incredible challenges.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #30240
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,624
Ridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: