ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #30226
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Are you such a dick-waver in everything?


My God, talk about taking the FUN out of cycling.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #30227
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 1,003
The point I was trying to make with my post about Strava is that "competing" with others virtually is a farce. I was riding right next to the guy for 30 miles, and passed him on one of the segments. Strava showed him riding over a half-mile further than me at a higher average speed, and also showed him completing the segment 2 seconds faster than I did. Thinking about it, it's possible that I slowed down before the segment was finished and we may have been riding together which could have shown him having a faster time, but he knows, and I know, that I was the faster rider on that segment. According to Strava though, he was faster.

How is it being competitive to compare possibly inaccurate statistics? It sure doesn't seem worth getting worked up over.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #30228
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
That's a loaded question... as, technically, he does not compete. At least not outside the virtual world anyway. He prefers the "safety" of virtual racing over close-proximity, actual physical exertion over a pre-set course with like-minded individuals ready to hand you your ass at any given moment.

Hell, half the fun of real racing is talking shit to your teammates and competitors pre, during and post-race.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #30229
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rider_WV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Leon, WV
Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
You'll find those very same things in many other types of competitive and non-competitive activities which don't hold out the prospect of serious injury, or the 'suffering' that seems to appeal to some people.

different strokes for different folks

for me the mental and physical struggle and "suffering" during training, riding or racing is what helps me sleep at night. It makes me feel alive and feel that I am out there living life and not sitting on the porch watching it roll by.

As screwed up as its sounds the mental and physical "torture" is kind of my therapy and in some ways my escapism. Its in those moments of "suffering" I find clarity, simplicity and peace.

When your heart is beating so hard you can feel it in your temples, the sweat is flushing into your eyes, your hands are tingling, your legs are jello and everything in you says No, Stop I cant take anymore, but you push through, you force yourself to give every last ounce in you to overcome the situtation, you are so focused on the task at hand everything else is just a blurr. There is no stress seeping in, no drama, no bills, no work, no headaches, its just your mind and body, no one there to help, no crutches or excuses, you either do it yourself or fail. yep I am a weirdo, at least my wife thinks so...

Aurelius, sorry to hear about your injury, just keep pedaling and enjoying life
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #30230
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
First off,
Sorry you had a bad crash.
Glad you're OK.

I agree with Ridge.
As far as I'm concerned he nailed it.
When you say that, does it cross your mind for even a second that all you've asserted is that you and he share similar personalities? Does it occur to either one of you that others possessing different personalities might view things entirely differently?

Quote:
I just find it funny that you go so far as to email Strava about KOM's.

It's one thing to be competitive but this is almost compulsive.
That's just the sort of false assumption I aluded to in my earlier post. You falsely assume that I asked Strava about this discrepancy in order to invalidate another person's result. If that were the case, I could have 'flagged' his run and had it removed, given that it was clearly in error. I didn't do that, and his KOM is still intact (unless soomeone has beaten it since). The reason I wanted to know how it happened is because I and some other Strava users had been debating about the accuracy of the software and citing examples in which it produced an inaccurate result. This just happened to be one such case.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #30231
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
When you say that, does it cross your mind for even a second that all you've asserted is that you and he share similar personalities? Does it occur to either one of you that others possessing different personalities might view things entirely differently?



That's just the sort of false assumption I aluded to in my earlier post. You falsely assume that I asked Strava about this discrepancy in order to invalidate another person's result. If that were the case, I could have 'flagged' his run and had it removed, given that it was clearly in error. I didn't do that, and his KOM is still intact (unless soomeone has beaten it since). The reason I wanted to know how it happened is because I and some other Strava users had been debating about the accuracy of the software and citing examples in which it produced an inaccurate result. This just happened to be one such case.
Boy, I bet you are a bunch of fun on a night out....
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #30232
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,823
Like mine, thanks to the iPhone.
I am avoiding sensors so far, because to use the phone and the Wahoo BT sensors I need the iPhone 5. I'm avoiding that upgrade right now, but may eventually go that route.

Just one more bullet to expend in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Those types of errors are pretty common. You'll typically find them on Strava when riders rely solely on the GPS data, without using wheel sensors. You can tell right away who they are because their Performance graph will not be a smooth line but a very jagged one, showing huge increases and decreases in speed over very short time intervals. In some cases I've seen riders go from something like 15 mph to over 40 mph almost instantly.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #30233
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..
 
enduro0125's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Orchard Park,NY
Oddometer: 14,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
When you say that, does it cross your mind for even a second that all you've asserted is that you and he share similar personalities? Does it occur to either one of you that others possessing different personalities might view things entirely differently?



That's just the sort of false assumption I aluded to in my earlier post. You falsely assume that I asked Strava .... .

I'm new to this thread but all I've seen posted from you is how you beat this guys time here or how you beat that guys in the virtual spin class,etc....

You're correct,we are all wired different.
I just don't see the fun in only riding to better someone's virtual time.
That is all.

I'm lucky I guess
The way my brain is wired I have fun competing and taking risks,but also enjoy just going out and toodling around.
__________________
AMA 487807A
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #30234
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,823
Riding in a group, a racing group is fun if you have people who know how and teach you the way and tricks.
Leaning to pace line and ride square and true is cool. There is noting like the sound of 60 high pressure tires at more than 30 mph.

Hint: Let the juniors pull most of the time.

I have always preferred it to riding alone. I'm old enough now, I don't care if I sit in a long time and only take a short pull. I'm still getting into condition to keep up in most cases.
Most of my group interaction out here has been on weekends once I hit the streets. or small groups on the RIver trail. During the week there aren't that many people out and about.



Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Best thing I've done so far this year is group rides.

I'm new to road cycling and because of group riding I've been qble to enjoy the feel of a 25mph paceline.

Incredible.

I've also been dropped and worked my butt off to get back on(usually with the help of another rider.)

The after ride beers and bench racing keep me coming back.

As far as racing.....I've enters a few this season but haven't been able to not get dropped.
I have a long ways to go but haven't given up yet.
I look at this season as a learning year.

So glad I've discovered bicycles at this point of my life(48)
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #30235
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
different strokes for different folks

for me the mental and physical struggle and "suffering" during training, riding or racing is what helps me sleep at night. It makes me feel alive and feel that I am out there living life and not sitting on the porch watching it roll by.

As screwed up as its sounds the mental and physical "torture" is kind of my therapy and in some ways my escapism. Its in those moments of "suffering" I find clarity, simplicity and peace.

When your heart is beating so hard you can feel it in your temples, the sweat is flushing into your eyes, your hands are tingling, your legs are jello and everything in you says No, Stop I cant take anymore, but you push through, you force yourself to give every last ounce in you to overcome the situtation, you are so focused on the task at hand everything else is just a blurr. There is no stress seeping in, no drama, no bills, no work, no headaches, its just your mind and body, no one there to help, no crutches or excuses, you either do it yourself or fail. yep I am a weirdo, at least my wife thinks so...
Not necessarily, just someone whose personality traits makes this sort of thing attractive to you. It's not for everyone. I've competed at very high levels in several activities. Until fairly recently, my main interest was pistol shooting. I was the gold medalist at the 2007 Florida state games, and won the state championship in two divisions the following year. In my early 20's I developed a passion for chess, and within two years was ranked in the top 7% of players in the United States. While those things took an immense amount of time and training to achieve, they don't involve injuries or physical suffering, nor would they have been any more attractive to me if they had. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Quote:
Aurelius, sorry to hear about your injury, just keep pedaling and enjoying life
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #30236
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Ridge, if that's the kind of thing that floats your boat, so be it. Most people aren't emotionally driven adrenaline junkies, so don't for a moment assume that what you do appeals to everyone. It doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. As it happens, I suffered a very serious injury two years ago in a multiple pileup with a group of bicyclists. According to the surgeon, it would have been 'life altering' if the operation had failed, so I'm not the least bit eager to place myself in a situation where something like that is likely to occur, especially when it involves ordeals as thoroughly unpleasant as those you've described.
I don't assume that at all. In fact, I'm very aware that bicycle racers do not represent the majority of cyclists in this nation or the world.

When you say that it does not appeal to you in the slightest... I call bullshit. If it did not appeal to you, we would never be subjected to your rants about Strava inaccuracies and comparing your virtual times to others in your area. You would not be subjecting yourself to the classes you are currently enrolled if the spirit of competition did not course through your veins. You have spoken of local racers in high regard while you chase their times over a segment of road and record it in a virtual world. Unbeknownst to you, that racer might have been doing an endurance ride that day, or tempo workouts that did not translate to the best time he/she could put down. They are not always focused on the trivialities of besting a Strava KOM unless their teammates, friends or competitors are doing the same. We flourish on the camaraderie of shared experiences and revel in each other's struggle. It is a union of sparring, speed, skill and wits that bonds us so tightly. For someone, like you, to stalk a virtual record under the premise of "competition" and do so by spending your money on the most advanced equipment, then waiting for all the variables to be in your favor is bad sportsmanship at its best and undeserving of any respect from true competitors. I'm truly sorry that your accident caused such an aversion to riding in a group and I'm sincerely glad you are able to ride again but I do not accept that what you're doing is competition in the truest spirit of its definition.

This is not to slight anyone else that does not compete on their bicycle. I admire anyone that gets out and rides for whatever reason(s) motivate them. Be it fitness, weight loss, social interaction... whatever. The way I choose to enjoy my bikes is through dedicated training and competitive events interspersed with recreational riding and events like RAGBRAI. I appreciate all cyclists of all abilities so long as they are true to themselves, their peers and the significance of claiming oneself as a cyclist and I would genuinely love grab a ride and sit down over beers afterward with anyone on this thread.

Ridge screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 11:02 AM
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #30237
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
I'm new to this thread but all I've seen posted from you is how you beat this guys time here or how you beat that guys in the virtual spin class,etc....
Then you've only read half of my posts. If you'd read the remaining half, you couldn't have failed to see my references to other, much stronger riders than me. That includes the old geezer whose average power output is almost twice mine.

Quote:
You're correct,we are all wired different.
I just don't see the fun in only riding to better someone's virtual time.
That is all.
Well, I don't see what makes bowling or fishing attractive. BTW, I don't 'only' ride to better someone else's Strava records. The majority of the time I simply ride to be out alone in the woods or the countryside. When I began riding two years ago, I was in terrible shape. I hadn't ridden a bicycle in 30 years, and I took up riding for precisely that reason: to improve my overal health. Strava was simply a convenient tool to measure my progress. Eventually I got fast enough to match or beat the records of racers much younger than myself, and that provided additional incentive to work even harder. It's paid off in many ways. My waist measurement has decreased by two inches, my weight has dropped by five pounds, and my legs are starting to look like those of a racer. Not all of that is the result of using Strava, but some of it certainly is.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #30238
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..
 
enduro0125's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Orchard Park,NY
Oddometer: 14,629


As long as you're having fun.
__________________
AMA 487807A
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #30239
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,823
I stopped racing as competition long ago. In truth I never raced to race, or win. I raced to ride with friends, and enjoy riding in a big, fast group. On roads where I could go as fast as I could. To me the fun part was being with friends. When I was in a race where my friends weren't. I was bored.
My competitive juices dried up sometime in High school I guess. Except when my brother and i get together, then we'll still go at it. What ever "it" is.
After I tore up my knee playing basketball and had it finally repaired that really was the done stamp on even play acting at racing. I can get to pretty quick, but no where near where racing takes place. And I know that due to years, injuries and lack of time and motivation to train I won't get close to where I was back in the day.
And I don't care too much. I can ride fast enough to feel good, and far and long enough to keep burning off the fat. Once I'm where I want to be as far as weight, I'll maybe do some long rides. I do want to figure out how to get me and my bike to Iowa for RAGBRAI so I can ride with my brother again. Maybe I'll just drive back there? That is probably the most straight forward.

One of the great tings about cycling is that it is a life sport/activity. I intend to ride until I'm dead. The same holds to a point for motorcycling. Except I'm much more willing to chuck the motorcycle in favor of walking.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #30240
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I stopped racing as competition long ago. In truth I never raced to race, or win. I raced to ride with friends, and enjoy riding in a big, fast group. On roads where I could go as fast as I could. To me the fun part was being with friends. When I was in a race where my friends weren't. I was bored.
My competitive juices dried up sometime in High school I guess. Except when my brother and i get together, then we'll still go at it. What ever "it" is.
After I tore up my knee playing basketball and had it finally repaired that really was the done stamp on even play acting at racing. I can get to pretty quick, but no where near where racing takes place. And I know that due to years, injuries and lack of time and motivation to train I won't get close to where I was back in the day.
And I don't care too much. I can ride fast enough to feel good, and far and long enough to keep burning off the fat. Once I'm where I want to be as far as weight, I'll maybe do some long rides. I do want to figure out how to get me and my bike to Iowa for RAGBRAI so I can ride with my brother again. Maybe I'll just drive back there? That is probably the most straight forward.

One of the great tings about cycling is that it is a life sport/activity. I intend to ride until I'm dead. The same holds to a point for motorcycling. Except I'm much more willing to chuck the motorcycle in favor of walking.
If we get out to Iowa on the same year, we'll have to grab some beers and get an ADV group photo. I know there have to be at least a half-dozen others here that would/have ridden RAGBRAI.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015