Peaks Coaching: how to avoid these common training errors

M
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #30317
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I think many take their "I ride alone" motorcycle attitude to bicycling, which is a shame. On a long ride, I spend hours and hours talking to the folks I'm riding with. It's really fun to be rolling through some beautiful scenery shooting the shit about riding, life and whatever else pops into your mind.

Riding with a team, where everyone knows what everyone else is going to do, how long to stay at the front of the paceline and the like is really transformative. It'll push you harder than you may push yourself and can really lead to growth as a cyclist.

I've learned a lot about what I call "ridecraft". What to put in my water bottles. How to approach a steep descent. How to prepare for a ride. How to stay out of trouble on the road. That sort of thing that makes riding much easier and makes you faster or more efficient.

And, of course, post ride beer drinking in the parking lot is always fun.

Here's one I'll share: Get the wet spandex off immediately. If you take a washcloth and wet it, then put it on the dashboard of your car in a sealed ziplock, you'll have a nice warm, wet washcloth to get cleaned up with. And now you can pass that along to your friends.
This.

I like to keep a pack of Wet Wipes in my gear bag. They cut through chamois cream, sunscreen, road grime and salt. The washcloth method looks like a winner, too. I'll have to give it a go.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #30318
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
Laugh

First group ride complete...34.3 miles in an hour and 57 mins. Never gone that fast before.

Small group as some of the regulars were at a century somewhere. Long and short of it is...well worth it. Yeah, they had to wait at the top of The climb, but said it was a regular regroup spot anyway and I was within a "normal" distance they said.

I wasn't last, but got the feeling the guy behind me was running sweep to see if the new guy blew up

Time for a shower and a sammich
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #30319
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
But I know perfectly well what I'm capable of from years of training, as should you. I know I'm capable of pushing my body to the point of total muscle failure. I know I can ride to the point where my heart, lungs, and muscles are unable to meet the demands placed on them.
Tell us your experiences.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #30320
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 633
Excellent!!!
When's your next group ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano View Post
First group ride complete...34.3 miles in an hour and 57 mins. Never gone that fast before.

Small group as some of the regulars were at a century somewhere. Long and short of it is...well worth it. Yeah, they had to wait at the top of The climb, but said it was a regular regroup spot anyway and I was within a "normal" distance they said.

I wasn't last, but got the feeling the guy behind me was running sweep to see if the new guy blew up

Time for a shower and a sammich
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #30321
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
More than likely next Saturday. Gonna log a few more solo rides this week, and, ugh, plenty more vertical feet before the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatfishRacing View Post
Excellent!!!
When's your next group ride?
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #30322
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
Managed to put it 40.6 miles this morning with 3400ft of climbing, moving avg was 12.6 i have a long long way to go. Good ride, legs felt ok after running last night. More wild life than people again.
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #30323
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano View Post
More than likely next Saturday. Gonna log a few more solo rides this week, and, ugh, plenty more vertical feet before the next one.
Love group rides I've been doing about 3 club rides a week.Tues a beginers ride of 20 or so miles of some rolling hills led by a couple who give great encourgement and patients with anyone who shows up avg about 12.5mph .Then on wed. I do a clydesdale ride again about 20 or so mls. some longer climbs and a little faster.Anyone one is welcome,It amazes me how a coulpe 300lbs. in the group can climb.Beer drinking commences in the parking lot after this ride.It's fun and nobody takes anything serious.On thurs.is a club ride usually a C+ ride some bigger climbs and I struggle with this but it is no drop and usually someone looks out for stragglers like me.Some are alittle more serious and are training for triathalons or other events.
Then sat. is a club ride 45-50mls. and once a month maybe a metric .
All in all a I met a great bunch of people in the yr. and a half I've been doing this. I'm 64 and most of the people are 20-25 yrs. younger than me but they encourge me and help me along.
I was very intimidated to try grouping riding but glad I did it opened up a whole new world for me.So if you never tried it get out for a local club ride I'm sure there wil be people to show you the ropes.
patsymack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #30324
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 14,667
Intervals today.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #30325
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Just went on my first ride since last Saturday after getting kicked in the slats at work all week. I know, I should be happy to have a decent job, and I am. But still, I'm looking forward to fall and the accompanying slowdown.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #30326
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
I also did my first ride since last Saturday, and it was the final tuneup before our VT trip on Tuesday. Should be a fun trip as always.

rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #30327
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,805
Did the Marin Century's Traditional Route. The have a double, a climbing version, a metric, a double metric, a 50km.

It was awfully pretty and the weather was just about perfect. There was plenty of excellent food at the SAG stops, the support was all by BMW bikes, and the porta johns were sparklingly clean. Rode by myself for most of it, periodically falling in with a couple riders and just riding with them for a bit, then passing and moving on. I felt really good on the descents, so I was able to take advantage of the east side of the Marshall Wall and a few others. Big, big fun and a great day of riding.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #30328
ericm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Santa Cruz Mountains Challenge 200k. Rode pretty much by myself for the first 110 miles and worked with a friend for the last part.

ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #30329
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Intervals today.

I went for an easy 1:40 spin on the mtn bike.

I'm trying to get a Sat afternoon ride started, but so far its been me, Rodrigo and I, me, and today: me. I'm at a point where I'll invite anyone to come along and if they show, great. If not, I'm going anyway.

Tomorrow AM is the memorial ride for a guy that died out past Marshall. The collective jury is still out whether he got hit or had a heart attack when someone was passing him. Original reports had him being hit, but his bike was straight. Either way, he's gone. I didn't know him personally, but the guys in the shop in Warrenton did.

M
Old 08-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #30330
2degreesout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868

I was in Reno last week an got the chance to ride the Tahoe Rim trail and the Flume trail. We started at Tahoe Meadows and rode south around Marlette Lake and hit the Flume Trail back north to Incline Village.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: