User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #30346
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,104
Riding in a group, a racing group is fun if you have people who know how and teach you the way and tricks.
Leaning to pace line and ride square and true is cool. There is noting like the sound of 60 high pressure tires at more than 30 mph.

Hint: Let the juniors pull most of the time.

I have always preferred it to riding alone. I'm old enough now, I don't care if I sit in a long time and only take a short pull. I'm still getting into condition to keep up in most cases.
Most of my group interaction out here has been on weekends once I hit the streets. or small groups on the RIver trail. During the week there aren't that many people out and about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Best thing I've done so far this year is group rides.

I'm new to road cycling and because of group riding I've been qble to enjoy the feel of a 25mph paceline.

Incredible.

I've also been dropped and worked my butt off to get back on(usually with the help of another rider.)

The after ride beers and bench racing keep me coming back.

As far as racing.....I've enters a few this season but haven't been able to not get dropped.
I have a long ways to go but haven't given up yet.
I look at this season as a learning year.

So glad I've discovered bicycles at this point of my life(48)
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #30347
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
different strokes for different folks

for me the mental and physical struggle and "suffering" during training, riding or racing is what helps me sleep at night. It makes me feel alive and feel that I am out there living life and not sitting on the porch watching it roll by.

As screwed up as its sounds the mental and physical "torture" is kind of my therapy and in some ways my escapism. Its in those moments of "suffering" I find clarity, simplicity and peace.

When your heart is beating so hard you can feel it in your temples, the sweat is flushing into your eyes, your hands are tingling, your legs are jello and everything in you says No, Stop I cant take anymore, but you push through, you force yourself to give every last ounce in you to overcome the situtation, you are so focused on the task at hand everything else is just a blurr. There is no stress seeping in, no drama, no bills, no work, no headaches, its just your mind and body, no one there to help, no crutches or excuses, you either do it yourself or fail. yep I am a weirdo, at least my wife thinks so...
Not necessarily, just someone whose personality traits makes this sort of thing attractive to you. It's not for everyone. I've competed at very high levels in several activities. Until fairly recently, my main interest was pistol shooting. I was the gold medalist at the 2007 Florida state games, and won the state championship in two divisions the following year. In my early 20's I developed a passion for chess, and within two years was ranked in the top 7% of players in the United States. While those things took an immense amount of time and training to achieve, they don't involve injuries or physical suffering, nor would they have been any more attractive to me if they had. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Quote:
Aurelius, sorry to hear about your injury, just keep pedaling and enjoying life
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #30348
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Ridge, if that's the kind of thing that floats your boat, so be it. Most people aren't emotionally driven adrenaline junkies, so don't for a moment assume that what you do appeals to everyone. It doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. As it happens, I suffered a very serious injury two years ago in a multiple pileup with a group of bicyclists. According to the surgeon, it would have been 'life altering' if the operation had failed, so I'm not the least bit eager to place myself in a situation where something like that is likely to occur, especially when it involves ordeals as thoroughly unpleasant as those you've described.
I don't assume that at all. In fact, I'm very aware that bicycle racers do not represent the majority of cyclists in this nation or the world.

When you say that it does not appeal to you in the slightest... I call bullshit. If it did not appeal to you, we would never be subjected to your rants about Strava inaccuracies and comparing your virtual times to others in your area. You would not be subjecting yourself to the classes you are currently enrolled if the spirit of competition did not course through your veins. You have spoken of local racers in high regard while you chase their times over a segment of road and record it in a virtual world. Unbeknownst to you, that racer might have been doing an endurance ride that day, or tempo workouts that did not translate to the best time he/she could put down. They are not always focused on the trivialities of besting a Strava KOM unless their teammates, friends or competitors are doing the same. We flourish on the camaraderie of shared experiences and revel in each other's struggle. It is a union of sparring, speed, skill and wits that bonds us so tightly. For someone, like you, to stalk a virtual record under the premise of "competition" and do so by spending your money on the most advanced equipment, then waiting for all the variables to be in your favor is bad sportsmanship at its best and undeserving of any respect from true competitors. I'm truly sorry that your accident caused such an aversion to riding in a group and I'm sincerely glad you are able to ride again but I do not accept that what you're doing is competition in the truest spirit of its definition.

This is not to slight anyone else that does not compete on their bicycle. I admire anyone that gets out and rides for whatever reason(s) motivate them. Be it fitness, weight loss, social interaction... whatever. The way I choose to enjoy my bikes is through dedicated training and competitive events interspersed with recreational riding and events like RAGBRAI. I appreciate all cyclists of all abilities so long as they are true to themselves, their peers and the significance of claiming oneself as a cyclist and I would genuinely love grab a ride and sit down over beers afterward with anyone on this thread.

Ridge screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 12:02 PM
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #30349
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
I'm new to this thread but all I've seen posted from you is how you beat this guys time here or how you beat that guys in the virtual spin class,etc....
Then you've only read half of my posts. If you'd read the remaining half, you couldn't have failed to see my references to other, much stronger riders than me. That includes the old geezer whose average power output is almost twice mine.

Quote:
You're correct,we are all wired different.
I just don't see the fun in only riding to better someone's virtual time.
That is all.
Well, I don't see what makes bowling or fishing attractive. BTW, I don't 'only' ride to better someone else's Strava records. The majority of the time I simply ride to be out alone in the woods or the countryside. When I began riding two years ago, I was in terrible shape. I hadn't ridden a bicycle in 30 years, and I took up riding for precisely that reason: to improve my overal health. Strava was simply a convenient tool to measure my progress. Eventually I got fast enough to match or beat the records of racers much younger than myself, and that provided additional incentive to work even harder. It's paid off in many ways. My waist measurement has decreased by two inches, my weight has dropped by five pounds, and my legs are starting to look like those of a racer. Not all of that is the result of using Strava, but some of it certainly is.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #30350
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,611

As long as you're having fun.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #30351
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,104
I stopped racing as competition long ago. In truth I never raced to race, or win. I raced to ride with friends, and enjoy riding in a big, fast group. On roads where I could go as fast as I could. To me the fun part was being with friends. When I was in a race where my friends weren't. I was bored.
My competitive juices dried up sometime in High school I guess. Except when my brother and i get together, then we'll still go at it. What ever "it" is.
After I tore up my knee playing basketball and had it finally repaired that really was the done stamp on even play acting at racing. I can get to pretty quick, but no where near where racing takes place. And I know that due to years, injuries and lack of time and motivation to train I won't get close to where I was back in the day.
And I don't care too much. I can ride fast enough to feel good, and far and long enough to keep burning off the fat. Once I'm where I want to be as far as weight, I'll maybe do some long rides. I do want to figure out how to get me and my bike to Iowa for RAGBRAI so I can ride with my brother again. Maybe I'll just drive back there? That is probably the most straight forward.

One of the great tings about cycling is that it is a life sport/activity. I intend to ride until I'm dead. The same holds to a point for motorcycling. Except I'm much more willing to chuck the motorcycle in favor of walking.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #30352
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I stopped racing as competition long ago. In truth I never raced to race, or win. I raced to ride with friends, and enjoy riding in a big, fast group. On roads where I could go as fast as I could. To me the fun part was being with friends. When I was in a race where my friends weren't. I was bored.
My competitive juices dried up sometime in High school I guess. Except when my brother and i get together, then we'll still go at it. What ever "it" is.
After I tore up my knee playing basketball and had it finally repaired that really was the done stamp on even play acting at racing. I can get to pretty quick, but no where near where racing takes place. And I know that due to years, injuries and lack of time and motivation to train I won't get close to where I was back in the day.
And I don't care too much. I can ride fast enough to feel good, and far and long enough to keep burning off the fat. Once I'm where I want to be as far as weight, I'll maybe do some long rides. I do want to figure out how to get me and my bike to Iowa for RAGBRAI so I can ride with my brother again. Maybe I'll just drive back there? That is probably the most straight forward.

One of the great tings about cycling is that it is a life sport/activity. I intend to ride until I'm dead. The same holds to a point for motorcycling. Except I'm much more willing to chuck the motorcycle in favor of walking.
If we get out to Iowa on the same year, we'll have to grab some beers and get an ADV group photo. I know there have to be at least a half-dozen others here that would/have ridden RAGBRAI.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #30353
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I don't assume that at all. In fact, I'm very aware that bicycle racers do not represent the majority of cyclists in this nation or the world.

When you say that it does not appeal to you in the slightest... I call bullshit. If it did not appeal to you, we would never be subjected to your rants about Strava inaccuracies and comparing your virtual times to others in your area. You would not be subjecting yourself to the classes you are currently enrolled if the spirit of competition did not course through your veins.
That interpretation couldn't be further off the mark if you'd tried. What I said is that the type of racing you're involved in doesn't appeal to me at all. Your descriptions of it sound like just the thing I would do if I wanted to learn to hate bicycling and move on to something much less miserable. That being said, I don't criticize you for being attracted to that type of thing if that's what fits your particular psychology. Perhaps you should extend others the same courtesy.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #30354
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I'm 27 and that's where I'm at already I've got a older racy road bike that I'm afraid to ride after a week on the Trucker, just because the Trucker is fairly comfy and will climb up over anything (albeit slowly). RAGBRAI was just about my pace - I want to go on some longer rides now, but they won't be as fast as I had shot for previously.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #30355
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Wellgo has some great prices. They make a set of pedals that look just like the Look pedals I want, but at a much lower price. Are they any good?

Wellgo makes a HUGE range of pedals, from the cheapest plastic junk riding on bushings rather than bearings to nice quality cro-mo or titanium spindle stuff with sealed cartridge bearings. they make OEM pedals for lots of brands. I've only used their pin-platform pedals, no experience with any clipless things. the ones I have are cro-mo spindle sealed bearing jobbies, with a large but light dished alloy platform with lots of pins.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #30356
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
different strokes for different folks

for me the mental and physical struggle and "suffering" during training, riding or racing is what helps me sleep at night. It makes me feel alive and feel that I am out there living life and not sitting on the porch watching it roll by.

As screwed up as its sounds the mental and physical "torture" is kind of my therapy and in some ways my escapism. Its in those moments of "suffering" I find clarity, simplicity and peace.

When your heart is beating so hard you can feel it in your temples, the sweat is flushing into your eyes, your hands are tingling, your legs are jello and everything in you says No, Stop I cant take anymore, but you push through, you force yourself to give every last ounce in you to overcome the situtation, you are so focused on the task at hand everything else is just a blurr. There is no stress seeping in, no drama, no bills, no work, no headaches, its just your mind and body, no one there to help, no crutches or excuses, you either do it yourself or fail. yep I am a weirdo, at least my wife thinks so...

Aurelius, sorry to hear about your injury, just keep pedaling and enjoying life
Same here. On a group ride, one realizes that we all suffer and that the big test is mental. How long are you willing to be uncomfortable?

Greg Lemond said it best: "It never gets easier, you just get faster."

So true. But that's what makes it worthwhile. The struggle, the challenge, the rise to the challenge and overcoming it.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #30357
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Same here. On a group ride, one realizes that we all suffer and that the big test is mental. How long are you willing to be uncomfortable?

Greg Lemond said it best: "It never gets easier, you just get faster."

So true. But that's what makes it worthwhile. The struggle, the challenge, the rise to the challenge and overcoming it.
Surely all of you are at least dimly aware that there are challenges much greater than what you've described, but which don't entail physical pain or mental distress, right? So when I read these sorts of remarks, it makes me wonder what it is about suffering specifically that you find so appealing. Would you ride a bicycle if you couldn't use it to inflict pain and mental anguish on yourselves?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #30358
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Surely all of you are at least dimly aware that there are challenges much greater than what you've described, but which don't entail physical pain or mental distress, right? So when I read these sorts of remarks, it makes me wonder what it is about suffering specifically that you find so appealing. Would you ride a bicycle if you couldn't use it to inflict pain and mental anguish on yourselves?
like what sort of challenges? if its too easy, its not challenging.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #30359
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
What sorts? How about earning a PhD, or making a great scientific discovery, or becoming the world chess champion? The list is quite long.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #30360
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post

I guess I'm a bit of a masochist.

I used to love suffering through a good old fashioned enduro.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: