Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.41 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #30421
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,884

Excellent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
So my bike and I had an interesting day commuting.

This morning I wasn't feeling bad, but I wasn't feeling any motor either (I'm REALLY not a morning person) about halfway a guy pull out from a side road in front of me. Big cat, another non-smurf (like me) with a big ass backpack full or work clothes (like me) and a cylo bike. We stopped at a light nodded, and both took off out of the saddles mashing our heads off of the hill, thought that it was just going to be an above normal speed chase for me till it started to flatten out and dude jumped out of his saddle again.

OH. HELL. NO.

Queue another mile of mashing, nothing but puffing and the sounds of knobbies on asphalt. He had to turn off the mile before my turn in for work so he was in the left lane and we are both stuck at a red.

"good spin man"
"See ya next week" waved and that was that.

Oh the way home I decided that the two hill that had been kicking my ass for the last two weeks were not going to kick my ass today, and just concentrated on keeping my pedalling smooth and tight and motored up both of them.

Beat my previous average speed home by 2mph. So I'm up to 17mph when I could barely pull 13 6 weeks ago.......oh and down 15 lbs. Not bad considering that I hadn't run more than a mile...like total since I got out of the service 5 years ago.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #30422
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 63,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post

Excellent!
It's amazing how quickly one can progress, isn't it?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #30423
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,884
That is cool.

Both cycling and motorcycling have made me friends I've kept up with for years. The internet has made that easier. Very odd for a shy coke-bottle-bottom-glasses geeky kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post

Serious introvert here, but I really love riding with friends.

Here's some weird stuff about the power of bicycles: When I was 7, we moved to New Jersey and I met a couple kids down the street. We stayed in touch through college and then lost each other. I recently reconnected with one of the brothers via Facebook. He sent me a note yesterday and it turns out we're both cyclists and we're both going to ride the Marin Century.

45 years later, we're still riding our bikes out in the street. Freaking awesome!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #30424
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post

Oh the way home I decided that the two hill that had been kicking my ass for the last two weeks were not going to kick my ass today, and just concentrated on keeping my pedalling smooth and tight and motored up both of them.

Beat my previous average speed home by 2mph. So I'm up to 17mph when I could barely pull 13 6 weeks ago.......oh and down 15 lbs. Not bad considering that I hadn't run more than a mile...like total since I got out of the service 5 years ago.
Outstanding my man!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #30425
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Hell yeah! Flanders is my favorite race to watch. Just not sure I'm man enough to wear the Lazer "Flanders graphics" helmets.
Guy on the ride on Thurs was wearing the Hincapie Flanders kit. Looks better in person than on the innerwebs.

...but I'm German and Scottish, so until they fetishize riding in GER or Scotland, I'll pass.

M
Old 08-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #30426
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano View Post
Tomorrow I am heading out for my first group ride...local "no drop" but he said they do some sprints and have a few climbs where they'll hustle, and then wait at the top.

Any tips for a first timer? It is my local shop, but short of the employees I'll know no one. None of my friends ride, so all of my rides (except for 1 I did with my brother) have been solo. I need/want the experience, just a bit nervous and hope I don't make an ass of myself
Yeah, do what they tell you to do! IOW if you're getting barked at, listen!

...and n00bs always make asses of themselves. There's a bunch of unwritten rules/etiquette that you don't know till you get told. Usually by being barked at.

S'one of the things triathletes don't get. There have been 'rules of the road' passed down from generation to generation of riders designed to keep us all moving down the road safely. You can't just jump in and expect to be doG's gift to cycling in a pack if you're being dangerous. ...or even just not following the rules.

M
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #30427
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I think many take their "I ride alone" motorcycle attitude to bicycling, which is a shame. On a long ride, I spend hours and hours talking to the folks I'm riding with. It's really fun to be rolling through some beautiful scenery shooting the shit about riding, life and whatever else pops into your mind.
Group rides on MCs and group rides on pushies are very similar but yet very different. Group riding on pushies means (typically) everyone's working together to get down the road in a relatively quick manner. There's MUCH more chatter on a pushie ride. Otherwise, you're out sharing the experience with your buddies.

Quote:
I've learned a lot about what I call "ridecraft". What to put in my water bottles. How to approach a steep descent. How to prepare for a ride. How to stay out of trouble on the road. That sort of thing that makes riding much easier and makes you faster or more efficient.
Some of that is universal. Some of it is rider-specific. What freaks Kbasa out, probably won't me, and vice versa. I LOVE me some 'hair on fire, screaming descending.' Kbasa? Not so much.

Quote:
And, of course, post ride beer drinking in the parking lot is always fun.
Its all about the stories... Like B and I team TTing to the end of Antioch last nite. He'd pull and I'd suck wheel. I'd pull, he'd suck wheel. Repeat for 3-4mi. The whole time we were trying to keep it over 25mph. I heard last nite that the fast guys were keeping it over 30mph on the same stretch.

Quote:
Here's one I'll share: Get the wet spandex off immediately. If you take a washcloth and wet it, then put it on the dashboard of your car in a sealed ziplock, you'll have a nice warm, wet washcloth to get cleaned up with. And now you can pass that along to your friends.
Baby wipes work too. If I'm at home, I do a quick wipedown with witch hazel 'down there' to get the funk off, then cool down, then eat, then shower.

I'll second the 'get out of the spandex immediately' thing. I'm fighting some recurrnig saddle sores from a ride 2 years ago. I forgot my change of clothing and I had to sit around in sweaty lycra for a few hours. They sores'll go away, then come back, then go away... Its getting old.

Easy 1:15 spin this AM. I'd planned on 2.5hrs but overslept. I woke up 5min before I needed to be out the door. So I said 'effit! I'll do a recovery ride. Probably a better bet anyway. ' So that's what I did. I tried to keep the HR below 90 and certainly below 100bpm. Pretty much managed both goals except for one small rise in a construction zone. Oh well.

M
Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #30428
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Peaks Coaching: how to avoid these common training errors

M
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #30429
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
I think many take their "I ride alone" motorcycle attitude to bicycling, which is a shame. On a long ride, I spend hours and hours talking to the folks I'm riding with. It's really fun to be rolling through some beautiful scenery shooting the shit about riding, life and whatever else pops into your mind.

Riding with a team, where everyone knows what everyone else is going to do, how long to stay at the front of the paceline and the like is really transformative. It'll push you harder than you may push yourself and can really lead to growth as a cyclist.

I've learned a lot about what I call "ridecraft". What to put in my water bottles. How to approach a steep descent. How to prepare for a ride. How to stay out of trouble on the road. That sort of thing that makes riding much easier and makes you faster or more efficient.

And, of course, post ride beer drinking in the parking lot is always fun.

Here's one I'll share: Get the wet spandex off immediately. If you take a washcloth and wet it, then put it on the dashboard of your car in a sealed ziplock, you'll have a nice warm, wet washcloth to get cleaned up with. And now you can pass that along to your friends.
This.

I like to keep a pack of Wet Wipes in my gear bag. They cut through chamois cream, sunscreen, road grime and salt. The washcloth method looks like a winner, too. I'll have to give it a go.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #30430
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 946
Laugh

First group ride complete...34.3 miles in an hour and 57 mins. Never gone that fast before.

Small group as some of the regulars were at a century somewhere. Long and short of it is...well worth it. Yeah, they had to wait at the top of The climb, but said it was a regular regroup spot anyway and I was within a "normal" distance they said.

I wasn't last, but got the feeling the guy behind me was running sweep to see if the new guy blew up

Time for a shower and a sammich
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #30431
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 17,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
But I know perfectly well what I'm capable of from years of training, as should you. I know I'm capable of pushing my body to the point of total muscle failure. I know I can ride to the point where my heart, lungs, and muscles are unable to meet the demands placed on them.
Tell us your experiences.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #30432
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 543
Excellent!!!
When's your next group ride?

Quote:
First group ride complete...34.3 miles in an hour and 57 mins. Never gone that fast before.

Small group as some of the regulars were at a century somewhere. Long and short of it is...well worth it. Yeah, they had to wait at the top of The climb, but said it was a regular regroup spot anyway and I was within a "normal" distance they said.

I wasn't last, but got the feeling the guy behind me was running sweep to see if the new guy blew up

Time for a shower and a sammich
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #30433
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 946
More than likely next Saturday. Gonna log a few more solo rides this week, and, ugh, plenty more vertical feet before the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatfishRacing View Post
Excellent!!!
When's your next group ride?
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #30434
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
Managed to put it 40.6 miles this morning with 3400ft of climbing, moving avg was 12.6 i have a long long way to go. Good ride, legs felt ok after running last night. More wild life than people again.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #30435
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
More than likely next Saturday. Gonna log a few more solo rides this week, and, ugh, plenty more vertical feet before the next one.
Love group rides I've been doing about 3 club rides a week.Tues a beginers ride of 20 or so miles of some rolling hills led by a couple who give great encourgement and patients with anyone who shows up avg about 12.5mph .Then on wed. I do a clydesdale ride again about 20 or so mls. some longer climbs and a little faster.Anyone one is welcome,It amazes me how a coulpe 300lbs. in the group can climb.Beer drinking commences in the parking lot after this ride.It's fun and nobody takes anything serious.On thurs.is a club ride usually a C+ ride some bigger climbs and I struggle with this but it is no drop and usually someone looks out for stragglers like me.Some are alittle more serious and are training for triathalons or other events.
Then sat. is a club ride 45-50mls. and once a month maybe a metric .
All in all a I met a great bunch of people in the yr. and a half I've been doing this. I'm 64 and most of the people are 20-25 yrs. younger than me but they encourge me and help me along.
I was very intimidated to try grouping riding but glad I did it opened up a whole new world for me.So if you never tried it get out for a local club ride I'm sure there wil be people to show you the ropes.
patsymack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: