User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 514 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #30496
ericm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
There's been a few Eliptigo type bikes on the Death Ride the last few years.
I have seen them near the top of the last pass as I drive home, so some of them are probably making the whole thing.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #30497
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I saw one on RAGBRAI... Not sure whether they were doing multiple days or not. I think the biggest problem with them would have to be the air resistance of that full-upright position.
ElliptiGO bikes are just the most recent confirmation of the reason the bicycle has remained essentially unchanged for a hundred years: because nothing else that's been tried has worked as well.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #30498
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,834
I saw one on the trail, they are big.
The guy "riding" it liked it. He said it was like a stairmaster climbing.
It looked really heavy to my eye. I pedaled away from him on my return from down past CDM, so I hit 70 miles on that ride a t a good clip. The set up had seemed somewhat fast when I first saw it, but as I've gotten quicker he hasn't really. I bet it puts a little less stress on knees because of the lack of the seat so you can't get too full a squat which is part of what hammers a knee. Though the weight and inertia would be tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
You've seen those ElliptiGO bikes - I've always thought they were silly machines not fit for "serious" riders.

Several finished LEL a few days ago. London Edinburgh London or LEL, is a “randonnee” cycling event held every four years. To complete the event, riders must cover the 1,418 km (881-mile) round trip from London (England) to Edinburgh (Scotland) – and back – within 116 hours and 40 minutes. 1,000 cyclists from 33 different countries attempted this feat in 2013 – alongside 3 ElliptiGO riders: Alan McDonogh, Steve Cook and Idai Makaya.

I guess I've got to re-think that. Maybe.

Link to their story - worth a read.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #30499
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I saw one on the trail, they are big.
The guy "riding" it liked it. He said it was like a stairmaster climbing.
It looked really heavy to my eye. I pedaled away from him on my return from down past CDM, so I hit 70 miles on that ride a t a good clip. The set up had seemed somewhat fast when I first saw it, but as I've gotten quicker he hasn't really. I bet it puts a little less stress on knees because of the lack of the seat so you can't get too full a squat which is part of what hammers a knee. Though the weight and inertia would be tough.
What you say about a squat is true, but remember that while pedaling at 70+ rpm, you're applying very little force to the pedals, so the stress on the knees is also very small. And without a seat to support him, an ElliptiGO bike rider is constantly burning calories just to carry his own weight. Calories that could be put to much better use moving the bike forward.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #30500
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
You've seen those ElliptiGO bikes - I've always thought they were silly machines not fit for "serious" riders.

Several finished LEL a few days ago. London Edinburgh London or LEL, is a “randonnee” cycling event held every four years. To complete the event, riders must cover the 1,418 km (881-mile) round trip from London (England) to Edinburgh (Scotland) – and back – within 116 hours and 40 minutes. 1,000 cyclists from 33 different countries attempted this feat in 2013 – alongside 3 ElliptiGO riders: Alan McDonogh, Steve Cook and Idai Makaya.

I guess I've got to re-think that. Maybe.

Link to their story - worth a read.
I saw one on Death Ride. Not sure I'd want to be doing a 50mph descent on one of those thing.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #30501
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I saw one on Death Ride. Not sure I'd want to be doing a 50mph descent on one of those thing.
Did he make it up those mountains?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #30502
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Did he make it up those mountains?
When I saw him, he was climbing the backside of Monitor, which tells me he'd been over the front already.

I didn't see him after that, so I'm not sure if he completed the other passes.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #30503
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Tire question... I've got Vitoria Rubino Pros on NY road bike. They've got maybe 200-300 miles on them. The rear tire has always been noisy. It makes a sort of squeaky noise that increases with speed. It won't do it on the stand, it doesn't look like it could be possibly running anywhere, doesn't feel like it has any drag, spins smooth etc. As I was typing this out I began to think that it could be the hub, but everything seems to work fine except that it makes this noise. Is it possible that it's just a noisy tire or should I have somebody look at it?
You could swap ends and see if it's that particular tire. But, I suspect it's the tread that causing the noise.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #30504
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You could swap ends and see if it's that particular tire. But, I suspect it's the tread that causing the noise.
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I wish it was more quiet, but if it rides fine I really can't complain much.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #30505
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I wish it was more quiet, but if it rides fine I really can't complain much.
Eventually, the tread pattern wears off, then, the tread, then, thread, then, the....oh you get it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #30506
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,463
I had a lovely little 20 mile ride yesterday. Trying like hell to sit in the small ring and get a cadence back.

For a second there I thought I had come up on a fellow who was my speed and could a riding pal. Same build, same hairy legs, and probably the same speed.

We were stopped at an intersection and I turned to him and said, "how're you doing to day, good, yeah?" He just muttered 'yeah' and looked down the road opposite me. Maybe it was my accent.

Okay, I guess not. There's a club ride here but I don't know where I sit with fitness. A 20 mile solo ride at 17.1 mph on dead flat roads isn't anything to speak of and I don't want to hang on for 5 minutes and then get shat straight off the back.

I ran in to a woman on a new Giant which looked like it was carbon. She was moving along okay, with a pink woolen hat with a knit flower on it, long sleeved jersey, either arm warmers or gloves that went almost to her elbow, a skirt on top of a skirt on top of tights, and some sort of bum bag.

Sorta looked like the wicked witch of the west. She didn't seem very friendly either but I don't blame her-- she's probably tired of getting leg humped.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #30507
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 14,678
. ^^
Old 08-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #30508
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
So I was spinning along Tuesday enjoying a country road and a respite from the rain, when I spotted a large bird of prey ahead that was trying to gain altitude with a large kill in it's talons. A contractor's van passed me and caused the bird to drop the meal on the road. Birdy flew to the nearest house and landed on the roof. As I neared it's kill, I realized it had dropped an adult cat on the road. I've seen some cool stuff when out riding, but that's a first for me. We have a lot of red tailed hawks around here.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #30509
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,834
I once had an eagle drag a snake across my helmet in Big Sur.
And yes I ducked, but the snake whacked the side of my helmet.
Big snake, low flying bird, and me and the wife on our old R100RS.

On the bicycle I had a hawk nearly hit me diving for a prairie dog, when I lived in Colorado. The bird was right at my head when I saw it, I'd heard the dog town alarms go off and looked at them, and was just starting my scan for where the threat was coming from when the hawk came across me.
Where we lived in Colorado we had six mating pairs of eagles and pretty much all the birds of prey of Colorado represented nearby. Also mountain lion. More than one suburban home owner lost a good sized dog to those.
One guy who moved to the mountains thought his big dog could be outside in the high fenced back yard, got to watch a big cat carry his dog over the fence and away.

We used to joke when mountain biking that we should try not look like cat toys.
No feathers and loose string

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
So I was spinning along Tuesday enjoying a country road and a respite from the rain, when I spotted a large bird of prey ahead that was trying to gain altitude with a large kill in it's talons. A contractor's van passed me and caused the bird to drop the meal on the road. Birdy flew to the nearest house and landed on the roof. As I neared it's kill, I realized it had dropped an adult cat on the road. I've seen some cool stuff when out riding, but that's a first for me. We have a lot of red tailed hawks around here.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #30510
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 14,678
I had a red fox bolt in front of me today on my commute.

Three leaps....cool.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: