Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 312 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #30496
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Always the case. Some of the women I've been riding with absolutely kick ass. They're probably as strong as I am, but they weigh 50 pounds less. They just vault up and over.
There's one tiny girl in my racing class who is averaging 150 Watts during our training sessions. That's where a lot of the men started, but she weighs only 110 lbs. I asked her if she was a good hill climber, and she mentioned being able to outclimb all the guys in her riding group. But she also said that her light weight counted against her when going down hill, which I'd never considered.

Quote:
My mission this winter is weight loss and strength maintenance. I'm about 195 now and would like to be right at 180, which would really help when I'm climbing.
I've been stuck at 180 for 25 years, but over the last six months I've both gained a lot of muscle on my legs and lost 5 lbs. My goal is to get down to 170 lbs, but something tells me it's going to be hell getting rid of the remaining 5 lbs. Interestingly enough, all my weight loss has come from riding my road bike; I couldn't lose a single ounce riding a mountain bike.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #30497
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
There's one tiny girl in my racing class who is averaging 150 Watts during our training sessions. That's where a lot of the men started, but she weighs only 110 lbs. I asked her if she was a good hill climber, and she mentioned being able to outclimb all the guys in her riding group. But she also said that her light weight counted against her when going down hill, which I'd never considered.

I've been stuck at 180 for 25 years, but over the last six months I've both gained a lot of muscle on my legs and lost 5 lbs. My goal is to get down to 170 lbs, but something tells me it's going to be hell getting rid of the remaining 5 lbs. Interestingly enough, all my weight loss has come from riding my road bike; I couldn't lose a single ounce riding a mountain bike.
Interesting. If my experience with riding mountain bikes is any indication, I found it to be kind of "peaky" riding, with short bursts of high effort, rather than long sustained medium to high effort phases.

I was at about 185 when I started training, but I know I've gained significant muscle mass, particularly in my legs.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #30498
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Interesting. If my experience with riding mountain bikes is any indication, I found it to be kind of "peaky" riding, with short bursts of high effort, rather than long sustained medium to high effort phases.
I've noticed quite a few 'obese' mountain bikers around here, even among the very skilled ones. Roadies tend to have much less bodyfat for some reason, even the old ones.

Quote:
I was at about 185 when I started training, but I know I've gained significant muscle mass, particularly in my legs.
Yep, the only mirror I have at my house is the small one over the bathroom sink, so I was quite surprised to see how my body has changed.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #30499
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:

During race season I hover between 168-173 and I'm 5'-10". Ideally, I'd love to be 165 and stay there but that last 3-5 pounds always seems to elude me for staying off. I have to extensively change my eating habits to shed weight now. I'll be trying to lean down as much as possible for the next 5 weeks building up to my annual Bridge Challenge ride. It's the only day per year they allow cyclists to enter Grandfather mountain and climb to the top. Last year, I came in at 5:27 and I'm hoping to better that by at least 15 minutes this year.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #30500
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:

spot on for the MTB. I always had a hard time losing weight on the MTB because its very very peaky where I ride. Blast in zone 5 to the top then cruise on the flowy downhills that can be more like a pump track at times so little to no effort so HR bottoms out, rinse repeat. Or its so slow, rocky and tech so your not sustaining a high enough HR for weight loss. Didnt matter how many days a week I rode or miles, I always held steady weight wise.

I started at 188 in Mid june, I was 176 last week, back up to 178 this week(think im building muscle cause my 5k time dropped). Body is still changing cause my clothes fit different. I really really want to be below 170 but its going to take time time time and pedal pedal pedal. If I lose enough lbs I can put the stock springs back in my GasGas

eating properly is always a struggle for me, i am a picky eater and get burned out on certain foods. I have upped my protein, been eating a ton of fruit and nuts and cut out fast food except for pizza once a week. I will never ever give up pizza or rum & coke All water all the time except for a splash of coke in my rum. I havent gotten back into the obsessive calorie counting yet.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #30501
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Interesting way to sell a bike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/giant-defy...d=507385185837
Old 08-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #30502
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I've noticed quite a few 'obese' mountain bikers around here, even among the very skilled ones. Roadies tend to have much less bodyfat for some reason, even the old ones.
When we climbed up Mt. Hamilton from Mines, I think it was a solid couple hours of climbing work. I spent the entire time in upper zone 3 and zone 4.

I can't think of a time on my mountain bike where I spent two hours climbing, even here in the origin of mountain biking. Now, truth be told, I've never had much incentive to climb Mt. Tam on dirt, but I think that might be my next goal. Also, the top of China Camp, the Bolinas Ridge Trail climb from the Cross Marin Trail and finally getting to the top of the Big Rock Ridge, up behind my house. That's a crazy climb that seems to keep the traffic down.

First, I've gotta get my MTB sorted. It's my old school Gary Fisher Tassajara with a pretty crappy Tiagra gruppo.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #30503
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
That said, I'm thinking California Triple Crown in 2015.
If you keep riding over the winter you'll be ready next year. They're not that much harder than the Death Ride and you'll be fitter and faster.
It does eat into motorcycling time however. I started cyciing to get in better shape for trials competition and now I don't ride trials at all.

BTW thanks for raising money for cancer. It's hit my family hard this year.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #30504
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
If you keep riding over the winter you'll be ready next year. They're not that much harder than the Death Ride and you'll be fitter and faster.
It does eat into motorcycling time however. I started cyciing to get in better shape for trials competition and now I don't ride trials at all.

BTW thanks for raising money for cancer. It's hit my family hard this year.
After my wife being a bicycle widow for the entire year this year, I'm thinking I need to take next year off. I'll keep riding. We were on vacation on the motorcycle after DR and I was seriously jonesing for a bicycle ride.

And it's my honor. My wife is here because someone before me rode and raised money to help fund research on the drug that saved her life. It's my duty and my honor to pay that forward. I hope your family finds peace. Sometimes, that's as much as we can ask for.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #30505
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
Thanks guys, best part of the whole week was meeting a very special lady on the ride...we had talked a bit before the ride on facebook, and there were some mutual feelings, and we are now talking the possibility of marriage...this pic was right after the celebration ceremony at Calvin College in Grand Rapids MI in the Van Noord arena, theres about 150 cyclists on the ride right now, i was only able to ride for one week, but theres 81 full timers riding from Los Angeles all the way to staten island, a 3900mi trek over 9 weeks, trying to raise awareness and funds for the alleviation of poverty... Info on the ride is at www.seatosea.org

Shit, you were on Sea to Sea? If you camped in Coralville, you were a block away from my apartment!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #30506
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,322
On the weight loss/muscle gain thing...

I've been riding fairly regularly this season on a road bike and I'm still at my start
weight. 2 years ago riding road and trail on my mtb I lost 10lbs.
I'm 6'2" 245lbs and before you start thinking "heavy guy", I'm only a 38" waist.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #30507
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,660
i'm not sure i see the need for 40 wheels, forcing you into a pretty narrow choice of hubs and rims.
we (and many others) run tandems on and off-road that have regular 135mm OLD wheels with 36, and don't have any problems. well-built 36 wheels should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Mtn bike with a 40-hole rear wheel. 36h at the lightest.

M

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #30508
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
spot on for the MTB. I always had a hard time losing weight on the MTB because its very very peaky where I ride. Blast in zone 5 to the top then cruise on the flowy downhills that can be more like a pump track at times so little to no effort so HR bottoms out, rinse repeat. Or its so slow, rocky and tech so your not sustaining a high enough HR for weight loss. Didnt matter how many days a week I rode or miles, I always held steady weight wise.

I started at 188 in Mid june, I was 176 last week, back up to 178 this week(think im building muscle cause my 5k time dropped). Body is still changing cause my clothes fit different. I really really want to be below 170 but its going to take time time time and pedal pedal pedal. If I lose enough lbs I can put the stock springs back in my GasGas

eating properly is always a struggle for me, i am a picky eater and get burned out on certain foods. I have upped my protein, been eating a ton of fruit and nuts and cut out fast food except for pizza once a week. I will never ever give up pizza or rum & coke All water all the time except for a splash of coke in my rum. I havent gotten back into the obsessive calorie counting yet.
My problem isn't that I'm picky. I like just about everything...and lots of it! I put on about 30 lbs after quitting smoking 7 years ago. Getting back on the bike burnt it all off, and now I hover around 210. I figure my climbing should improve significantly if I get below 200, 190 would be ideal. Time to say goodbye to all my precious snacks and sweets.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #30509
zouch
part-time wanderer

and those disc brakes might be at the root of your problem; the already narrow front wheel needs to be 'dished' in order to make room on the axle for the rotor, resulting in a front wheel that's not as well braced as a standard wheel, and almost impossible to get evenly balanced spoke tension on. (that's one of the reasons i don't like disc brakes; having competed in Trials, i don't relish the thought of bouncing on a front wheel that i know inherently isn't likely as strong as one built for rim brakes, even if made of heavier components.)

FWIW, i'm right in your weight range, and haven't tacoed a front wheel in decades. (i can't remember having ever done it, but i'll allow that it's possible that i just don't recall. while so many other things don't work as well as they used to, my Forgetter just keeps getting better and better,... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I've managed to whack my front wheel out of what twice in the last 4 weeks. I weigh somewhere between 200 and 210, I've come to the conclusion that they make all of these bikes for smurfs That was also why I went with disc brakes, if I knock it out of true (again) it doesn't take the brakes with it.

I'm not that big, if I was in fighting shape I would be no lower than 190, and I have to do a ridiculous amount of running to stay that low.

'02 GS Adv
Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #30510
zouch
part-time wanderer

glad you had fun; i've worked the Marin as a Moto-Ham several years now; the people behind putting in on are great, and the Moto-Ham crew is one of the best i've worked with.

Quote:
Did the Marin Century's Traditional Route. The have a double, a climbing version, a metric, a double metric, a 50km.

It was awfully pretty and the weather was just about perfect. There was plenty of excellent food at the SAG stops, the support was all by BMW bikes, and the porta johns were sparklingly clean.

'02 GS Adv

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: