Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.44 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #30511
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
and those disc brakes might be at the root of your problem; the already narrow front wheel needs to be 'dished' in order to make room on the axle for the rotor, resulting in a front wheel that's not as well braced as a standard wheel, and almost impossible to get evenly balanced spoke tension on. (that's one of the reasons i don't like disc brakes; having competed in Trials, i don't relish the thought of bouncing on a front wheel that i know inherently isn't likely as strong as one built for rim brakes, even if made of heavier components.)

FWIW, i'm right in your weight range, and haven't tacoed a front wheel in decades. (i can't remember having ever done it, but i'll allow that it's possible that i just don't recall. while so many other things don't work as well as they used to, my Forgetter just keeps getting better and better,... )
I didn't taco anything, I did knock it well out of true though.

A lot of it is just lack of technique the one time I thought I could get over a ditch didn't get the kick I wanted so I nose plowed the opposite bank, and I was rolling....that was a trip OTB , the other time I knew there was a decent drop...like 9 feet or so, however, I screwed up and locked the front wheel so I had to let off and went off the end all Wiley Coyote style.....I manged to stay on the bike that time at lest.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #30512
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,618
Fabian Cancellara

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #30513
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Fabian Cancellara

Spartacus is poised to make an attempt at the hour record either after this year's World's or next year's Spring Classics. If anyone can do it, he can. Check out some of his efforts at Paris-Roubaix, Flanders or Milan-San Remo. Even in a WorldTour field, he often looks like a man racing against children.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #30514
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Spartacus is poised to make an attempt at the hour record either after this year's World's or next year's Spring Classics. If anyone can do it, he can. Check out some of his efforts at Paris-Roubaix, Flanders or Milan-San Remo. Even in a WorldTour field, he often looks like a man racing against children.
Our VQ racing coach opined last week that Cancellara is 'the greatest racer of his generation'.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #30515
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,351
Quote:
Our VQ racing coach opined last week that Cancellara is 'the greatest racer of his generation'.
Wiggo beat him (quite handily) this past week in Poland I believe....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #30516
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Wiggo beat him (quite handily) this past week in Poland I believe....
If you want to see some phenomenal racing from the Tour de Pologne, check out Taylor Phinney keeping an angry peloton at bay for over a kilometer.

Sent from my intergalactic space modulator
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans

Ridge screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 02:55 PM
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #30517
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,164
Ya know.... I've gotten to the point in my life where I invite people to come riding and if they show, great. If they don't, well... that's fine too.

Case in point yesterday AM. Buddy was supposed to come up and we were gonna go for a 2hr ride.

Got a txt (early) 'I'm bailing. Rainy and I need to sleep.'

D just got done working a stretch of 12hr days/row so I understand the sleeping thing. ...And yeah, it was cloudy, but all that happened was a little drizzle. No rain.

Long story short: I had a great 90ish min ride yesterday AM underneath grey skies.

I'm fixin to go down to the city to pick up a Red crankset. Gotta love the innerwebs for 'cheap' (if Red can be cheap) bike parts.

M
Old 08-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #30518
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065
short ride yesterday evening. I really prefer morning rides, less traffic and more animals. Legs are getting better, Im still trying to get used to spinning, Im still in MTB mode, blast the climbs and coast the down hills. Trying my hardest to stay in the saddle to spin the climbs AND the decents. the 48t makes it hard to spin all the decents. Cardio is coming around, recovery from red zone is dropping. Finally got new batteries for the HR montior.

Im really diggin the Strava app. Its very handy to track all the run/walk/rides instead of scribbling in a notebook or on a calander. Very few segments in my general area so I wont get wrapped up in that aspect too much. Its been a great tool so far, well when I can actually get the GPS to track on my phone.

Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #30519
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,447
Apologies if this has been posted already, but it reminds me of the pass that led to what is now called the zanardi rule. Named after the famous indycar racer who lost both of his legs in a tragic unrelated crash, Alex used the dirt in the corkscrew at laguna seca to win the race.

According to reports, this guy crashed early in the race and then pulled off this pass to win it.

pretty gutsy move imo
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #30520
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

5th class of the VQ Racing course was a tough one yesterday: 40 minutes of climbing split up into ten minute segments, with three minutes of 'rest' between them. The climbing segments began with 90% of each rider's maximum power output, and increased to 100% for the final segment. The 3 minute resting intervals were all performed at 50% max power, as were the warm up and warm down phases, so there was no rest at all during the entire hour of class. Pedaling against constant resistance for a solid hour is nothing like traversing Florida's mostly flat terrain, so this simulation felt much worse than an actual hour's ride.

We were told to begin with a cadence of 80-85 rpm, but after five minutes of steady climbing my legs began to tire out, so I switched gears and pedaled at 105 rpm for a while to give them a break. When I got winded, I went back down to 85 rpm, and then back up again. Alternating pedaling speeds in this way got me through all four 10 minute climbs while meeting the computer's target power output. I don't think I could have done it had I tried to maintain the same cadence from start to finish.

During class I often look at the computer screen to see how the others are doing, and I noticed something very interesting yesterday. There's a young (20 something) TT racer in the class who always puts out the highest power numbers: 270 W average, typically. I'd attributed this to his youth and the enormous muscle development in his thighs, which are almost freakishly large. But across the room was the old white haired dude who has been there since day one, running a separate simulation. I looked at his computer screen and noticed that his power output over the same period of time was a steady 300 W. He looks to be in great shape for an old man, but certainly doesn't have the bodybuilder physique of the TT racer. I'd love to know whether he started out with some genetic advantage that makes him so strong, or whether this is the result of decades of hard training.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #30521
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
Apologies if this has been posted already, but it reminds me of the pass that led to what is now called the zanardi rule. Named after the famous indycar racer who lost both of his legs in a tragic unrelated crash, Alex used the dirt in the corkscrew at laguna seca to win the race.

According to reports, this guy crashed early in the race and then pulled off this pass to win it.

pretty gutsy move imo
Badass move!

Sorta' like the Rossi/Stoner battle at Laguna.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #30522
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #30523
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
5th class of the VQ Racing course was a tough one yesterday: 40 minutes of climbing split up into ten minute segments, with three minutes of 'rest' between them. The climbing segments began with 90% of each rider's maximum power output, and increased to 100% for the final segment.
Curious what time period that max power is over? Clearly its not 5 second max.
Quote:
Pedaling against constant resistance for a solid hour is nothing like traversing Florida's mostly flat terrain, so this simulation felt much worse than an actual hour's ride.
Intervals are always harder than just riding for the same overall time.
Quote:

During class I often look at the computer screen to see how the others are doing, and I noticed something very interesting yesterday. There's a young (20 something) TT racer in the class who always puts out the highest power numbers: 270 W average, typically. I'd attributed this to his youth and the enormous muscle development in his thighs, which are almost freakishly large. But across the room was the old white haired dude who has been there since day one, running a separate simulation. I looked at his computer screen and noticed that his power output over the same period of time was a steady 300 W. He looks to be in great shape for an old man, but certainly doesn't have the bodybuilder physique of the TT racer. I'd love to know whether he started out with some genetic advantage that makes him so strong, or whether this is the result of decades of hard training.
If you look at pros, some have muscular legs and some who are just as fast do not. I.e. Cancelara vs Wiggins are both top pro TT racers and Cancelara has big muscles while Wiggins has thin legs. But as Dr Coggan says cycling is an endurance sport. Each pedal stroke does not require much force even at pro power levels. Giant muscles are not needed (track sprinting excepted).

Also, is the "old" guy larger? Bigger riders make more power. That is an advantage on flat terrain as resistance is mostly due to wind and a larger rider does not have that much more wind resistance. But up hill speed is determined by power/weight ratio and that is where lighter but less powerful riders can do well.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #30524
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,371
Quote:

That was a tad excessive, it was more like a gear commercial than a real takedown anyway.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #30525
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 63,458
Quote:
5th class of the VQ Racing course was a tough one yesterday: 40 minutes of climbing split up into ten minute segments, with three minutes of 'rest' between them. The climbing segments began with 90% of each rider's maximum power output, and increased to 100% for the final segment. The 3 minute resting intervals were all performed at 50% max power, as were the warm up and warm down phases, so there was no rest at all during the entire hour of class. Pedaling against constant resistance for a solid hour is nothing like traversing Florida's mostly flat terrain, so this simulation felt much worse than an actual hour's ride.

We were told to begin with a cadence of 80-85 rpm, but after five minutes of steady climbing my legs began to tire out, so I switched gears and pedaled at 105 rpm for a while to give them a break. When I got winded, I went back down to 85 rpm, and then back up again. Alternating pedaling speeds in this way got me through all four 10 minute climbs while meeting the computer's target power output. I don't think I could have done it had I tried to maintain the same cadence from start to finish.

I'm curious about what grade percentage you're climbing here. 105 on a climb? I only see that around here when people are rolling a 34 on the cassette. Otherwise, it's going to be 60 - 80 on anything above about 5%.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: