Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #3046
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Yabbut...

He's got a FOUR YEAR waiting list! You better REALLY really want a Vanilla!

M

It would take me that long to afford the one I'd want too...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #3047
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,386
Quote:
Yabbut...

He's got a FOUR YEAR waiting list! You better REALLY really want a Vanilla!

M
Good for him! It was only a year or so waiting list a couple years ago. It's great to hear when companies like Trek and Specialized so dominate the bicycle world.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #3048
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Hey Scott, don't know if you saw this, but this is what we ended up for Traci, she didn't need a women's specific (5'6" long legs), so we went with this in a 50cm. It was in the $1200 range, and is actually a very light/comfortable bike. The shop changed the stem/ bars/seat to fit her too.

Canondale Synapse Aluminim.

This afternoon we're hitting the big shop that carries Cannondale, Bianchi and a few others.

I saw your comment about your girl caring about the looks of the bike. I think I might care more than Erin. Ok, maybe not. But, damn, so many of the bikes that fit her are truly horribly ugly, painted 'pretty' colors like bright teal, pink, and covered with swirly floral patterns and other shit. If the Scott Contessa she rode yesterday was available in black or gray or whatever, Erin would have been all over it. But white with burgundy swirls is beyond fugly. Besides, I just don't know if I can stand a bike that elicits cracks like, "I bet you're riding that Scott more than the other" or whatever.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 03-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #3049
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary

Besides, I just don't know if I can stand a bike that elicits cracks like, "I bet you're riding that Scott more than the other" or whatever.

No, you can't have that, that wouldn't be good...

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #3050
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
No, you can't have that, that wouldn't be good...

No, it wouldn't.

This bike has all the charm of white faux-leather gloves.

But the bike shop is fantastic and the machiine otherwise fits her. If we thought it was reasonable, and affordable, to paint a brand new bike, we'd get it.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 03-16-2007, 11:01 AM   #3051
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,683
Quote:

This afternoon we're hitting the big shop that carries Cannondale, Bianchi and a few others.

I saw your comment about your girl caring about the looks of the bike. I think I might care more than Erin. Ok, maybe not. But, damn, so many of the bikes that fit her are truly horribly ugly, painted 'pretty' colors like bright teal, pink, and covered with swirly floral patterns and other shit. If the Scott Contessa she rode yesterday was available in black or gray or whatever, Erin would have been all over it. But white with burgundy swirls is beyond fugly. Besides, I just don't know if I can stand a bike that elicits cracks like, "I bet you're riding that Scott more than the other" or whatever.
Paint's easy to fix. Check with yer local powder coating place for a quote. I'm betting its somewhere in the $100 range. Nowadays, you can get anything from Pearl Black (my Denny) to Candy Apple Red in powdercoat colors.

HTH

M
Old 03-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #3052
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
bicycles suck pig juice.
Yeah, I perfer to get my excercise from bitching.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #3053
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,016
Quote:
Paint's easy to fix. Check with yer local powder coating place for a quote. I'm betting its somewhere in the $100 range. Nowadays, you can get anything from Pearl Black (my Denny) to Candy Apple Red in powdercoat colors.
The trick is, you gotta strip the old paint down to the metal for a proper powder coat to work. I had my old cruiser sandblaster, that cost about $30, then it was $80 to powdercoat at the local bike-painter (aka Santa Cruz Powder Coating aka Santa Cruz Cycles )
Old 03-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #3054
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
A really good deal on a Bianchi Cross Concept. Somebody buy this so I can get some sleep.

http://www.racycles.com/sdrb/catalog...05_5258313.htm
Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #3055
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700
A really good deal on a Bianchi Cross Concept. Somebody buy this so I can get some sleep.

http://www.racycles.com/sdrb/catalog...05_5258313.htm

Great. Now I'm not going to be able to sleep. That's a good deal, and in my size. I just did my taxes yesterday, and found out that I owe Uncle Sam considerably less than I was expecting. That's practically the same as getting a big refund, right?

So I can almost talk myself into it. Almost. The problem is that we've already got 4 bikes in a smallish condo. No room for new bikes, and nice as that one is, it wouldn't quite make a good replacement for any of my current rides. Besides, it'd be my 3rd Bianchi; People would start to think I have some sort of fetish.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #3056
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody
Great. Now I'm not going to be able to sleep. That's a good deal, and in my size. I just did my taxes yesterday, and found out that I owe Uncle Sam considerably less than I was expecting. That's practically the same as getting a big refund, right?

So I can almost talk myself into it. Almost. The problem is that we've already got 4 bikes in a smallish condo. No room for new bikes, and nice as that one is, it wouldn't quite make a good replacement for any of my current rides. Besides, it'd be my 3rd Bianchi; People would start to think I have some sort of fetish.
I knew that there was someone who could relate to my pain . The only way to deal with this is to log off and watch my new dvd-The Doctor, The Tornado, & the Kentucky Kid. It's a two disc set and hopefully by the time I'm done watching it someone will have pulled the trigger and ended my suffering .
Old 03-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #3057
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,016
DTK rocks. I bought the original 1 DVD 'preview' version. holy crap that was an intense race :)

bt I also have all the "faster" movies by the same folks.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #3058
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
There are lots of choices if you're not a 5' 1/2" woman with short legs. Many of the $1000ish priced bikes aren't available in -ahem- little people sizes. It's been amusing watching the sales people say "oh, we've got gobs of choices for you!" and then realize that that itty bitty bike they pulled out isn't itty bitty enough.
I know bianchi makes the women's bikes down to 44cm with a ~47cm top tube. If that's not small enough, look at some of those tricked out junior bikes from giant and specialized.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:50 PM   #3059
lorazepam
Two fisted burger

Oddometer: 8,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZim
Okay, my knowledge of bikes is far from current. I have about $750 to spend on a new road bike. (Not much by today's standards.) Anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at a Lemond Reno and I was impressed based on my antiquated knowledge of road bikes. Oh, by the way, I'm 230ish and I've always been hard on wheels.
try http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ier_corvus.htm
Old 03-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #3060
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad
I really wish that Grant Petersen of Rivendell would come out with a Toad or RoadToad model of a good all 'rounder. His bicycles are class on two wheels. Style never goes out of style and his creations have it in spades.

I should think a lugged steel framed bike, good decent kit and a nice (real) head badge featuring J. Thaddeus Toad of "The Wind In The Willows" fame would make for one classy bike.

"Sigh"...I am getting on in my dotage, but still I can dream...

El Toado Verde
Also check out heron.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: