Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #30631
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,219
Before my trip to N.California last year , I would have been, Elk

I got to see the Roosevelt elk up close and personal.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #30632
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
25.7 miles today. I was planning on another 20 but I was a little lost and you know, I felt good, so I just kept riding. My avg speed according to the Cateye was 15.4-- I know, I know, miserably slow. But give me a break.

I keep hearing a creak when I get up off the seat, like when I'm crossing train tracks, and I spent a while trying to figure out where it was coming from. It doesn't sound like my headset (shitty Cain Creek) or the bars and stem (Unknown "Pro" brand) so I figured it was either the pedals or the bottom bracket. I don't even know how the cranks or BB on these hollow spindle, outboard BB's mount. I don't assume there's any adjustment for preload like the old Mavic BB's (except there's no chamfering here, I assume?). I have a bit of play in my Look pedals, (with maybe 200 miles on them). I stopped halfway to raise my seat up a few mm's and I didn't hear the creak anymore. I suppose it could be from unloading the seatpin if its not tight enough? I know the pinch bolt is some sort of alloy (and budget alloy at that) and I'm not keen on breaking it. I didn't hear it on the way back. But if I had a square taper BB spindle I would bet money that's where the noise originates.

I saw the fellow again with the Motobecane. Same hairy-leg club member as before. Said hi to him twice today, fucker gurgled something at me the one time and flat out ignore the next. If he ever gets behind me I'm going to spend all my energy to roll him off. And I'll blow some snot on him, too.

As a matter of fact I said hi to essentially everyone I passed and probably got about 1 for every 6. Bunch of dry shites.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #30633
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

BobbySands,
Glad you rediscovered cycling.

Your ride reports make me laugh.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #30634
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
How do you feel about monkey butt? Cause I have plenty to spare.
No way to get rid of it except get back on the bike.

I like the Chamois Butter they have now-a-days. Much nicer and less greasy than what we used back in 1990 and Assos would charge you about 30 dollars for a tub.

What has always and continues to amazes me is how shitty a guy can feel one minute and then 30 minutes later feel just great. When I play hockey and I feel like hell, it just gets worse as the game goes and the more tired I am.

What's nice now that I'm back, having done it once before, is that I have nothing at stake. Not a single ounce of ego is wrapped up in this endeavour but cycling is damn good time if you let it be.

PS
Not lyin' I have a full Lotto/Belisol kit coming from England. How's that for Fredness!? I probably won't be able to wear the jersey for some time.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #30635
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I probably won't be able to wear the jersey for some time.

I have a couple of those right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post

What's nice now that I'm back, having done it once before, is that I have nothing at stake. Not a single ounce of ego is wrapped up in this endeavour but cycling is damn good time if you let it be.

I'm new to cycling but spent many years off road racing(dirt bikes.)
I've entered a few club races this year and really had nothing to prove,just checking things out.
Realized I'm not very good but love the sport so I don't care how I do.
20 years ago it would have been a lot of ego being hurt.

enduro0125 screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 06:11 PM
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #30636
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

I imagine my reaction would have been similar.
BTDT in a ride in Sandy Eggo

Hopped up and sideways quite a ways!

M
Old 08-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #30637
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,655
kinda' depends on what you're going to do with it; what makes a tire good for dirt usually makes it bad for pavement, so you need to figure out where you want your compromise to be.
the edge knobs on the Jets make them scary to corner on on pavement, while the Marathons would be great on pavement but probably wouldn't get you much traction on dirt.

i have a set of old WTB All Terrainasauruses on one set of wheels that i use on my CX/Fire Road bike and they work fairly well all-around; i think they've been replaced by the All Terrain. i've found some of the Kenda Small Block 8s and some older Bontrager Jones CXs to work well on mixed surfaces, but if you're looking for an all-rounder that doesn't need to excel exclusively at either dirt or road, you might want to look at something like the Bonty LT1 or LT2.

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Anyone have any tire recommendations for a CX bike? The Rapid Robs will be done sooner than later, well the rear much sooner. They are getting so loud its hard to hear cars behind me.

It current has 35's I think I would rather go to a 30-32 semi slick. I was thinking Sammy Slick or Michelin Jet S Or even a Marathon Supreme.

any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #30638
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Anyone have any tire recommendations for a CX bike? The Rapid Robs will be done sooner than later, well the rear much sooner. They are getting so loud its hard to hear cars behind me.

It current has 35's I think I would rather go to a 30-32 semi slick. I was thinking Sammy Slick or Michelin Jet S Or even a Marathon Supreme.

any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Take the time to rotate your tires. You'll get a lot more life out of them.

I'm really liking my Continental Speed Ride. I run the 42mm width, which measures ~37mm. They're no slower than the 27mm Conti Contact tires I took off.

Also, checkout Clement tires. They have an LAS model and X'plor USH model that you might be interested in. I keep thinking you'll eventually want to go explore all those gravel roads in the mountains.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #30639
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,442
I was thinking of something like this. http://www.geax.com/en/products/?cat=6&prod=25

At least till winter, I tearing the hell out of the knobbies on my 9er commuting.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #30640
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

I imagine my reaction would have been similar.
I'd probably done the same, and and soiled my self.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #30641
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

I'm really liking my Continental Speed Ride. I run the 42mm width, which measures ~37mm. They're no slower than the 27mm Conti Contact tires I took off.

Also, checkout Clement tires. They have an LAS model and X'plor USH model that you might be interested in. I keep thinking you'll eventually want to go explore all those gravel roads in the mountains.
thanks for the advice everyone and thanks for the Clement Link, the Xplor USh looks like the way to go.

I am going to rotate the Schwalbe's after tomorrow ride.
ducnut I will definitely be hitting the fire roads and gravel, I am finally getting more confident on a drop bar and learning the handling characteristics of the CX bike. The biggest trasition is going back to rim brakes, last rim brake bike I had I sold in 03 and it had V-brakes. I need to adjust the Canti's tonight, I am getting a LOT of chatter on the front when braking hard, enough I can watch the fork flex more than I am confortable with

I might run to a LBS tomorrow after my ride and order a Titanico X saddle. Hit a new top speed last night, 43.6mph
I love riding bicycles.
strava-yes I am slow as a turtle
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #30642
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

+1 on the Clement tires. I have a set of the LAS on my Scott CX. They're a very fat 33mm with a plush ride. Traction is better than what I thought would come from a file tread. My old Norco sports the MSOs, which are really a gravel road/trekking tire. At 40mm, they may or may not fit on some of the more compact CX frames. I like the Kenda Small Block Eight too, but watch 'em out in the sharp rocks. I always managed to cut up the sidewalls.

Re: critters. It's fun being able to sneak up and catch them in the act of being wild animals. Around here I've seen turkey, deer, foxes, raptors, coyotes and bear. I fed a doe part of my fig newton during last nights shop ride. I only worry about kamikaze squirrels and jackrabbits in the spokes and mountain lions. No solo off-roading after dark for this chicken.

TheNedster screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 06:35 AM
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #30643
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,976
The end is finally in sight for Cottontail, our new flow trail, which we have been building since the spring. Anyway, we hauled the lumber in (about half a mile)and built two bridges last Sunday.

Whoops section between the bridges.

Wednesday we started building this raised hairpin turn wall.

We had to eyeball it due to not having the level with us. Yesterday, we had to redo the lower section after putting the level to it and realizing our angles were a bit off.

This is the first time either of us has done one and it is proving to be a bit of a head scratcher at times.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #30644
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,655
do those come in a width that would fit in a CX frame? looks nice, but i don't know if even my old Hakkalügi would fit a 46 width tire (though i have put 42s on it).

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I was thinking of something like this. http://www.geax.com/en/products/?cat=6&prod=25

At least till winter, I tearing the hell out of the knobbies on my 9er commuting.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #30645
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
The end is finally in sight for Cottontail, our new flow trail, which we have been building since the spring. Anyway, we hauled the lumber in (about half a mile)and built two bridges last Sunday.

This is the first time either of us has done one and it is proving to be a bit of a head scratcher at times.
Looks awesome!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: