User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #30706
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Just in case anyone really cares, fall has started to take hold up in Lassen Park. The fingers and toes got a little numb on the descent from the summit to the south gate. Still, that ride is worth the discomfort and then some.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #30707
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
Yeah. Scans of some old slides. I really should have at least cleaned up the dust spots...

That stage was always fun to watch, but brutal on the riders. By mid afternoon, in August, in Grand Junction, it was pretty warm. The Euros especially seemed to suffer. I remember an Irish Killian's rider struggling up to the high point croaking out, "push me, please!" My wife jumped out and pushed him for about fifty yards, then a couple more spectators did turns, and then he was over the top... :-)

Wow A Young Doug Shapiro,Phil Anderson trying to shift those down tube fiction shifters while climbing. .... They probably had SIS by then though.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #30708
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,310
In an effort to get back into race shape, I've been annoying the local adv community by getting the tags by pedaling there.

No pedals today, 2 hours at the mx Track on the 350 then 100+ miles on the 950. Pedal to work tomorrow, Bmx Tuesday, race team ride Wednesday, recover Thursday.

-

Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #30709
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Wow A Young Doug Shapiro,Phil Anderson trying to shift those down tube fiction shifters while climbing. .... They probably had SIS by then though.
I wonder which teams were using Shimano in 1986? Six-speed but I guess it was SIS by then.

I know 7-Eleven used Dura Ace in 1988, but I don't think La Vie Claire or Panasonic ever used Shimano. Of course I could be wrong. I'm sure I'll be corrected here shortly by those who know. I have a box of snaps I'll have to get, one has Bob Roll's 7-Eleven bike which he said was a De Rosa.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #30710
PDXLoki
Not Dirty. Yet.

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post

Daammnnn, that thing looks stout, snappy, and stiff. Methinks it must accelerate well.
PDXLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #30711
PDXLoki
Not Dirty. Yet.

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I was looking through my tool box and got sidetracked when I came across these,

Very cool! The referee patch is interesting in that it's BMW/boxer specific.
PDXLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #30712
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Because he's Stybar, and we're not.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #30713
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,779
Yesterday...

I've been itching to try out my new 11-28 'climbing' cassette, and finally got my chance. Contrary to expectations I actually felt slower going up those hills than I did before, and was just as tired by the time I reached the tops. Appearances can be deceiving though: I set 11 PR's, the most ever on a single ride.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #30714
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Have they made any advancements in latex tubes or do I still have to air them up every 6 hours?
I ride nearly every day, so I check and air them up every day. Probably lose 5-15psi per day but I'm diligent about checking tire pressures and tire condition often. Any dedicated cyclist should be as well.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #30715
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Probably 86, The Worlds were Colorado Spings in 86 All the teams came to do the Coors Classic to race at altitude.
Yeah, 86. Here's another recent reflection on that year's racing from a friend of mine who was on the team.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #30716
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,459
That was a great read. Phil is my single favourite rider from that era and it was a pleasure to meet him.

If I ever needed a boost I used to watch 23 Days in July or La Course en Tete.

If anyone can locate a copy of 23 Days in July on DVD I'd be happy to buy a copy.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #30717
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXLoki View Post
Daammnnn, that thing looks stout, snappy, and stiff. Methinks it must accelerate well.
It doesn't do bad, my 1st full carbon road bike. It would sprint better if I didn't have those tank wheels on it. All the parts are an accumulation of 15 years of pieces. The shifters and rear derailer are Veloce 9 speed but I put a 10 speed disc in the shifter and converted them over.

I had a SL01 prior and after 35 miles wanted off of it. I took it apart to sell after a couple years and the frame was cracked so BMC replaced it with this Grand Fondo (GF01), now I doubt I will sell it. The bike does everything well and the long distance comfort is great. The seat moves back from flex nearly an inch or more with my 200lbs on it whereas the SL01 moved about 0" more or less which cause the one crack near the upper frame loop. The offset seat stay/top tube joint allows lots of movement. If you ride with choppy pedals you will feel like you are riding with a flat rear tire.

The downside, the seat tube is a bit slack so I need to keep the seat pushed up to get my reach correct. I may try to find a zero offset carbon post from them so I keep the soft ride and get a better fit.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #30718
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Here's my spare Conti Comp. I pressed into service the other day.
Flatted, put this on, and rode another 15 miles;

[IMG][/IMG]
And all these years nobody told me I've been doing it wrong by carrying a spare tube instead of a worn out tire.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #30719
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,829
That's probably right. We drove down closer to the Air Force Academy then pedaled over and got to ride beside the worlds across the median. The guys in the field would wave at us. It was great.
Sadly there was zero coverage outside the Springs. They had live radio but the people involved knew next to nothing about bicycle racing. There was a camera man who jumped off the motorcycle to film the riders taking "Natural Breaks", as Paul Shirwen says.
The Air Force placed port-a-potties around the course for the riders to use, but the only ones doing that were the US riders.
There was zero mention of the race or anything to do with the Worlds in Denver. I worked some of the races as an official. The Juniors races as a motorcycle official. Got to see some of the track events from the infield, (sponge monitoring official).

I'll have to go looking for any pictures I have from back in the day. My slides were "re-organized" into metal boxes. Many were scanned onto an external drive that has since crashed. I'm in the process of that recovery effort. $$$
I recall the Spanish squad were training along one highway one morning when we were riding to Steamboat from Dillon. We spotted them near Green Mountain Reservoir.
That an epic time. We stayed at the OTC, and across the street was this little neighborhood bar. We had left the high-zoot meet and greet with all the muckie mucks because it was too loud. And we rode back to our digs and walked across to the bar. We ordered a couple of beers and burgers and sat back to relax. The bartender comes over and asks if we mind strippers, as they were going to have to shut the door to any more patrons because of a bachelor party.
We didn't mind strippers, as long we're not paying fine, and the beer stayed cheap.
The wedding party bought our meals too.
The groom and his party were all too drunk to see by the time the strippers got there. Pretty funny.
A guy were supposed to meet up with there had ridden straight there, but after looking at the outside decided it might be a rough place.
Not an ADVrider of course.
We made an early evening of it and walked back to our digs. None of the racing was stupid early so we got to sleep in a bit and have breakfast in the training center. Back then they would pay us $.25/mile plus the tiny USCF fee and cover expenses like gas and food and lodging. The Worlds were real high-zoot. They took us to lunch in a local cafe with plates and everything.
I remember one race where we got Powerbars.

Quote:
Probably 86, The Worlds were Colorado Spings in 86 All the teams came to do the Coors Classic to race at altitude.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #30720
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,829
I used to carry both, but the advent of the Armadillos and riding mainly bike paths have lulled me into laziness. That and I can't find my old tiresock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
And all these years nobody told me I've been doing it wrong by carrying a spare tube instead of a worn out tire.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: