Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 297 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #30751
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
I worked with Chris at Providence Bicycle when I was back east. He was definitely a great guy. Funny, supportive, intelligent and way faster than he appeared to be. That wax a solid shop but Chris's presence really took it up a notch.
Small world!

Yep - he was all of that.

I remember driving over the Athens GA to watch him in the Twilight Criterium. The format was interesting - after a certain number of laps, there was a "win-and-out" lap. Chris blew by everyone else to take first place and end his participation quite early.

I remember talking to him in downtown Auburn after class one day. He was on kind of a BMX-type bike and the sidewalk had a big slant to it. Without touching his feet to the ground, he was going back-and-forth in a U-shaped path...backwards and forwards...

The guy had great skills and was definitely one of the good guys.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #30752
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,327
Did another 27 miles today. I pushed, I stood up a couple times, I rolled some stop signs, I refused to coast downhill. I-- I averaged another 15.3.

Couldn't believe it. Oh well.

I did finally see some cute women on the road. I'm not going to leg hump but it does lift one's spirits. I saw another slow guy on an old Trek 2300. Can't believe that thing is still in one piece. I wanted to check his BB to seat tube but I didn't want to be rude. He was going the opposite way but I bet we could meet up for ride. He said hi to me everytime I said hi to him.

I passed another, faster guy going the opposite way. He looked like a decent chappy but I waved and said hi to him and he said fuck-all back, nor did wave or even nod his head. He some flash bike and I thought this fellow is the sort of fellow who would push me a bit, judging by his form. Maybe I'd break the 15.3 barrier, sort of like Moser. But then I noticed he was wearing a Sky jersey and Lampre bibs.

Well, that's it. You cannot mix English sports channel kit with Italian steel sheet kit on the same day. And if that was insult enough to the world, I noticed he had Nike cycling shoes. I immediately felt nothing but contempt and enmity for him. Some people know no limits.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #30753
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

P.S.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #30754
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Thanks, man. I polish a lot of bike stuff, on the side.

When you start bending chainrings over, you'll officially be into Cancellara realm.
I have bent 3 #2 front chain rings, and a 2, 3, and 4 on the rear... Thats on my mtb though not roadie...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #30755
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
I have bent 3 #2 front chain rings, and a 2, 3, and 4 on the rear... Thats on my mtb though not roadie...
Is that from power? Or, bad shifting habits?
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #30756
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Is that from power? Or, bad shifting habits?
Power... I dont shift for a climb....LOL
Old 08-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #30757
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

You live in Chicago-- what hills? If you're really bending cogs and chainrings like that, you need to go pro. Wait, maybe you are a pro. Who do you ride for, again? I know a handful of guys who ride for Flatlandia...

Serotta is officially out of business.

They have been purchased and will continue to operate, making frames for other brands.

linky:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bik...-309618-2.html
Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #30758
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
I notice a lot of people in thread like to use that Strava tracking thing. I have been using google tracks on my phone and am pretty happy with it. Of course when the phone takes almost 1/2 mile to find the GPS signal, that is a bummer. Start point and end point were the same.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_-b...it?usp=sharing

And as luck would have it...first time I get out on mountain bike this season, I get chiggers for the first time in my life. Gotta love the east coast.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #30759
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Did another 27 miles today. I pushed, I stood up a couple times, I rolled some stop signs, I refused to coast downhill. I-- I averaged another 15.3.

Couldn't believe it. Oh well.

...I saw another slow guy on an old Trek 2300. Can't believe that thing is still in one piece. I wanted to check his BB to seat tube but I didn't want to be rude....

Mine came apart there as well and Trek took care of me.

As for you average, if you want to increase it, slow down a bit. Say your goal is to average 21, you need to do intervals of a shorter distance at 23-25 mph to bring your average up. Use the same stop free course to track your progress. Seated climbing intervals at 60rpm will help you build power. There are plenty of free sources for workouts, doing them right is rewarding.

I haven't done any dedicated training the past 2 years and will be starting back soon for next season and a 100 mile TT is one goal.

Good luck with bringing it up

-

Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #30760
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

I worked at a frame shop in Philadelphia where we repaired all the Alan, Vitus, Miyata, Trek, Giant, Specialized carbon/aluminum lugged frames.

Aluminum and Carbon like it each a LOT. Galvanic corrosion attacks the glue, the internal lug begins to move, and the hoop strength of a woven carbon tube is next to nothing. Next thing you know, frame failure.

For the Treks and Giants, etc, we mostly did rear derailleur hanger replacements, but getting rid of the old internal dropout and derailleur hanger and making an external.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it to heart. I have some places I can do some seated climbing but I've trying to keep my cadence high. I need to be able to do a good 40-50 miles to get in with the other hammerheads here locally, but doing it at 15 mph isn't going to work, either. So I'll try some intervals. These are the first 200 miles I've put on a bike in 11 years. #OldOutofShape
Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #30761
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
I worked at a frame shop in Philadelphia where we repaired all the Alan, Vitus, Miyata, Trek, Giant, Specialized carbon/aluminum lugged frames.
Harry Havnoonian's?

I still have my Vitus 979 that I raced back in the 80s and early 90s.

Quote:
These are the first 200 miles I've put on a bike in 11 years.
OMG man, you should not be worrying about average speed and intervals yet! You need some base first. Stop looking at anything other than the riding time on your bike computer.
You don't need to be getting all serious yet. Any riding you do now will improve your fitness. So just go out and have fun. Don't make it a chore until you need it for further improvement.

When you do, average speed is the worst metric to train by. To hang in on a group ride you don't need to be able to do the same speed, just be able to go hard enough to stay with the accelerations and to hang in the draft the rest of the time. It when they are jamming over a hill and you're the last rider in the group that you can get dropped. Average speed on your rides wont tell you how well you'd do there.
ericm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #30762
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,044
The Badger

Coors Classic 1983 maybe? Can't remember anymore. I was working press instead of riding Marshal or official.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #30763
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,044
In the space junk business we keep aluminum and CF far apart. We use titanium when we need metal.
In space, aluminum allows the nasty to eat the CF. Not a good trick anywhere.

Quote:

Aluminum and Carbon like it each a LOT. Galvanic corrosion attacks the glue, the internal lug begins to move, and the hoop strength of a woven carbon tube is next to nothing. Next thing you know, frame failure.

For the Treks and Giants, etc, we mostly did rear derailleur hanger replacements, but getting rid of the old internal dropout and derailleur hanger and making an external.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it to heart. I have some places I can do some seated climbing but I've trying to keep my cadence high. I need to be able to do a good 40-50 miles to get in with the other hammerheads here locally, but doing it at 15 mph isn't going to work, either. So I'll try some intervals. These are the first 200 miles I've put on a bike in 11 years. #OldOutofShape
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #30764
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You live in Chicago-- what hills? If you're really bending cogs and chainrings like that, you need to go pro. Wait, maybe you are a pro. Who do you ride for, again? I know a handful of guys who ride for Flatlandia...

Serotta is officially out of business.

They have been purchased and will continue to operate, making frames for other brands.

linky:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bik...-309618-2.html
We dont have big hills... We have very short STEEP river cuts...which around here we call hills... LOL as for me going pro? LOL i think the fact that im 240# and too lazy to downshift so i hoof it up the hill is what bends the rings...remember...mtb not roadie...that and i cant afford top of the line components....LOL cheaper stuff is all my bike sees... In addition to bending rings i have snapped two chains too, but thatw as probably because they were worn out anyways... Was the end of the season for both of em, which means about 8-1200mi of dusty crappy trails and i never used to clean the chain, nor lube it...i have much better bike habits nowadays....LOL
Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #30765
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
Harry Havnoonian's?

I still have my Vitus 979 that I raced back in the 80s and early 90s.

OMG man, you should not be worrying about average speed and intervals yet! You need some base first. Stop looking at anything other than the riding time on your bike computer.
You don't need to be getting all serious yet. Any riding you do now will improve your fitness. So just go out and have fun. Don't make it a chore until you need it for further improvement.

When you do, average speed is the worst metric to train by. To hang in on a group ride you don't need to be able to do the same speed, just be able to go hard enough to stay with the accelerations and to hang in the draft the rest of the time. It when they are jamming over a hill and you're the last rider in the group that you can get dropped. Average speed on your rides wont tell you how well you'd do there.

Yep, HH Racing. I recall getting a large box of old KAS frames for repair. I was excited because I always liked Sean Kelly (go figure). When we opened the box there were probably 8 frames in there, all covered in piss and vomit and sticky, putrid sports drink or soda. They hadn't been washed, just stripped by the race mechanic and retired. And then years later (KAS was done in 1987) they came to us. No one wanted to touch them. I think they were Carbon 3s, IIRC.

I know I'm just getting there. But I'd like to get in with a group for the same reason I always liked racing. Riding with your friends against a rival shop or two, bench racing and fixing all their broken shit in the parking lot.

Right now no one is going to drag my barge arse around for very long.

I used to ride in Phlly on the drives, and that was a huge group with more than a couple PRO riders. It was easy to sit in as long as there wasn't a fantastic crash. Only when something mucky happened and the peleton was shattered would I get dropped and the whole group would form packs or 4 or 5. Those guys would be up front pulling us at 26 mph and I would be barely turning my pedals, safely tucked in 20 deep.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: