Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 515 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #30751
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
Do they shift well when under hard pedaling?
Just trying to see what benifit there is.
Not familiar with new fangled gadets
you shift an IGH while coasting. advantage for a casual rider is they can be shifted while stopped.

Personally, I'm intrigued by the belt drive IGH bikes I've seen. again, for city/commuter kind of uses, not hard core long distance riding, or racing, or mountain biking, or whatever. these belt drives are much cleaner than any chain.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #30752
ericm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Are you sure? I always hear participants talking about their finish times. Sounds like a race to me.
It's not a race. Self-timed and no mass start. Some people like to see how fast they can do a century, which is a fine goal, but it's about as close to racing as a paper cut is to hitting yourself in the head with a ball pein hammer.

That said, organized rides can be fun. Unless you get into a group with idiots it's as safe as riding by youself. And since it's not a race, if you do end up in a group with idiots you can just drop out.
Usually the route is selected to be scenic and sometimes challenging.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #30753
ericm
Studly Adventurer

The problem with an IGH is 1) internal friction is much higher than a derailleur 2) the gaps between gear ratios are wider than a 9/10sp derailleur and double chainring, 3) you can't change the gear ratios, 4) they're heavy and 5) expensive. A friend of mine had a custom frame built for a 14 sp Rohloff IGH, the current top model. He rides a LOT and in all weather. He rode it on a rainy century with me when I'd been ill and was slow. I still wound up towing him for the last 30 miles. The extra drag made a difference.

They're also not no-maintenance. I forget the schedule but talking to the Rohloff people at the hand built bike show I was surprised at the frequency of maintenance. It's still not as much as a derailleur plus roller chain but it's not zero if you want your hub to last.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #30754
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
OK, guys. You have to pinch the link's side plates, then push the chain together towards the quick link. The pins of the quick link seat in the side plates. If you're not pinching the side plates, you'll never get it apart. I just use my fingernails to pinch the plates, while pushing the chain together. Also, if you have the chain under tension (linked through the derailleur), you'll never get it apart. This whole deal isn't very graceful to get apart, so be prepared to get your hands dirty.

amen and thanks for the knowledge ! Thanks also Nedster my link is now properly seated ! I hadn't taken the bike off the park stand yet and it didn't dawn on me to use my own weight .....duh
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #30755
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,834
Ah, yes.
Forgot about that part.
I knew there was a reason I one morning waiting on MotoGP to begin found myself surfing Amazon Park Tools.
Now, if I can remember this long enough to add it to my wishlist I'll be closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
With the chain installed, rotate the cranks so that the quick link is at the top of the chainline. Apply the brakes and put your weight on the drive side pedal. You may need to give the pedal a good stomp. IDK if this is a proper technique, but it's worked for me in the past. FWIW, a specific tool is needed to disconnect the SRAM 10sp quick link. Park Tool sells one, but a pair of needle nose pliers will work. The 9sp link can be separated by hand.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #30756
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
The problem with an IGH is 1) internal friction is much higher than a derailleur 2) the gaps between gear ratios are wider than a 9/10sp derailleur and double chainring, 3) you can't change the gear ratios, 4) they're heavy and 5) expensive. A friend of mine had a custom frame built for a 14 sp Rohloff IGH, the current top model. He rides a LOT and in all weather. He rode it on a rainy century with me when I'd been ill and was slow. I still wound up towing him for the last 30 miles. The extra drag made a difference.

They're also not no-maintenance. I forget the schedule but talking to the Rohloff people at the hand built bike show I was surprised at the frequency of maintenance. It's still not as much as a derailleur plus roller chain but it's not zero if you want your hub to last.
I thought maybe there would be less drag atleast equal drag
and the big drawback was weight and price
Thanks
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #30757
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,834
I've been considering an organized century ride someplace around my part of the country but as a goal. later goal. I'd rather be able to pull one off on my own. I'm pretty sure I can do it. I used to do it weekly with a team and I've ridden on my own basically a mountain century when a few of us would ride form my house to the top of Mount Evans and back. Since you're climbing a lot there isn't much paceline activity. We didn't die, though we did kill a lot of tubes. Well, one of us did. Our resident fast guy/runner knew zero about changing tires and proved it by pinching three tubes before we repaired one of his tubes and installed it for him.

I figure out here where it is relatively flat I could manage a hundred at about 15 mph or so, once my back is a little better and I can sneak in some more training. I'll wait for later in October or November before thinking hard about it though. There are some great super wide streets with bike lanes that are 50 mph so that means the cars are only doing about 80.
There's plenty of room and big curbs so you just hop onto the grass median when a car wanders toward you. The drivers are usually too busy texting or finding food to be bothered with looking up from the screen.

I decided I need a GoPro on my bicycle helmet and use it on my motorcycle helmet. On the bike path on Saturday there was an epic shot some might have enjoyed I'll just say it framed the argument for the lovely combination of dropped bars and lycra perfectly.

On the motorcycle I could take movies of people reading tablets, texting, reading the paper, knitting, the classic eye make-up application, and shaving. And of course yelling at me and flipping me off for being on the freeway in the next lane they have wandered into having frightened them with my overly loud horns.

...where was I?

Oh, yes organized century rides.
Cookies yes. Watermelon, chilled to perfection even better. Cold beer after, always welcome! I think that was a Boulder Beer or Fat Tire supported ride. There was barbeque as well, but I was not that into meat then. There was the century that went past the clothing optional beach where cyclists were free. Yes the water was cold, but it was almost 100 out too.

I know that back in the day some guys from some teams would team time trial The Front Range Century and manage some great times. We did it one year behind a tandem. That was fun.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #30758
ericm
Studly Adventurer

I did the Mt Evans hillclimb race about five years ago, in the M45s. I'm from California, and don't live at altitude. It's the only time I have gotten tunnel vision due to lack of oxygen. At the top I could feel my brain was running really slow. I didn't get to look at the scenery for long before I headed down as it felt unhealthy to be up there.

When I came back to riding at age 41 I rode around for fun for a while. Once I decided that I wasn't going to get burnt out right away I made a goal of finishing a metric century. When I'd been racing in my 20s a century was no big deal. I wouldn't even rest the day before, just go out and ride it. But I'd gotten unfit as I reached 40.

I rode the metric with a friend, the same one who has the custom Rohloff bike now. He had to pull for the last 20 miles and wait for me on every little hill. But I finished.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #30759
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
But I finished.
That's the best feeling 'eh?

k7 screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 06:55 PM
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #30760
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I have not replaced my chain yet, I only have a few thousand miles on it.
I seem to recall being told the chain was narrow enough with the 10 back there the quick link would be a problem.
I carry one in case I make a mess and have to ride home.
I need to get to the LBS and check my chain. I have not bothered to look up the specs on it or take measurements.
I still use the old 12" pin-pin method despite having several 'chain checking tools' in the shop.

EVERYone has a 12" ruler...

M
Old 08-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #30761
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
That's the best felling 'eh?
Always

Even the little 35miler I did Sunday.

M
Old 08-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #30762
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Always

Even the little 35miler I did Sunday.

M

I'm still having issues with my cough and throat. I've been through two rounds of antibiotics and my voice is still raspy. I haven't been on the bike since July 5th when I tasted asphalt at 20 mph.

I'll see an ENT dr on Friday but one way or another, I'm riding on Saturday morning. I may only average 16-18 mph but I'm riding. Strangely enough, I feel capable of some big miles....on a relatively flat course.

After the ride, there's football.

If my wife cooperates, it "could" be the perfect Saturday.

If she sees this comment, I'm screwed.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #30763
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post

I'm still having issues with my cough and throat. I've been through two rounds of antibiotics and my voice is still raspy. I haven't been on the bike since July 5th when I tasted asphalt at 20 mph.

I'll see an ENT dr on Friday but one way or another, I'm riding on Saturday morning. I may only average 16-18 mph but I'm riding. Strangely enough, I feel capable of some big miles....on a relatively flat course.

After the ride, there's football.

If my wife cooperates, it "could" be the perfect Saturday.

If she sees this comment, I'm screwed.
Dood. You live in the desert. Its a hundredeleventy degrees out. Do the maths!

(yes, I'm teasing you! Hope things get better soon!)

M
Old 08-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #30764
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

10 worst foods and drinks for athletes

M
Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #30765
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
2014 Salsa preview.