Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #30901
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
At least I missed the rain.
I didn't. Started out with thtat 3hr oil change laying on the ground in the sprinkles. Started out in the sprinkles. ...but my riding buddy put on his Gore Tex jacket and it stopped!

So we did my '4 gravel roads' ride and then a 3-lap race over at my local park. He was leading at the 1/3rd way of the 1st lap by 15' when he lost his front wheel in an erosion gully. Down he went!

I looked back, didn't see anything majorly wrong, and put the hammer down.

'Won' by nearly 1/2 of a lap.

If he hadn't gone down, IDK what would've happened. As it was, the motivation for keeping in front of him kept me going.

We were bench-racing afterwards and he was saying that he was going to try and maneuver me in front of him and then sit on my wheel. Didn't happen after that wreck...

I probably woulda lost him on the dismounts around the dumpster and over the wire. He's not real good at the 'getting on and off the bike' thing yet.

M
Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #30902
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Hey Gummee! What is the best source for affordable spokes?
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #30903
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Strongly considering grabbing a frameset around tax time and just throwing the rest of gear off my Trek on it until I can piece together the rest of it.
I think these guys still have a Gen 1, Large hanging around. Give Ben a call (217-679-2356) and see what he'll take for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Even small grassroots IBD's who do business with Quality can't bring Salsa in if they're in a restricted territory, it can be frustrating.
I'm pretty sure it goes beyond restricted territories. It seems if you're not a Salsa dealer, you can't get them, period. That started, a couple years ago.

The guys have posted valid arguments as to why dealers don't sign-up with Salsa. When they sell $300 hybrids, 10:1, against higher-end stuff, I get it. Even a metro area like STL has very little Salsa inventory. We do have a good shop, up by Chicago, though. They stock all the Salsa and Surly models and have really carved a niche in the gravel racing market. They've done that by being active in the segment. Seems that most shops, around here, aren't active in anything. That, I don't get.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #30904
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,158
More '14 stuff.

Trek Farley fatty.

Trek Steel District $699. Somebody here was looking for such a bike.

Surly Straggler.
"Its like they mated a CrossCheck, a Krampus, and a Long Haul Trucker to make it. Its not simply a disc CrossCheck. The geometry is modified for a lower bb, longer ht, and it features brilliant new rear dropouts to accommodate single and geared setups without fuss. It also has the new 70041 Surly Knard tires."
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #30905
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,358
Its so,........pink
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #30906
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
I have to stop looking at those off-roady Surlys... I love my Trucker and sometimes I think I'd like to try offroad bike riding, don't need another bike to spend money on though

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #30907
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
This has probably been brought up before, but a bike rack question.

I've got a 2002 Honda CR-V with a hitch mounted. This is one of the cars with the side-opening tailgate. I've decided that's it's between a Saris Bones or some kind of hitch-mounted rack.

Pluses for the Bones are that I can still open my tailgate with the rack attached. The Bones could be used on my wife's car in a pinch as well. Could still tow the RAGBRAI trailer with the rack attached as well. Disadvantage is that it looks a little trickier to mount than a hitch rack.

For the hitch rack, well, I don't really see what the advantages are besides maybe faster mounting and maybe sturdier construction. I see a lot of them tip forward but I don't think that helps in my case.

So it looks like I've sold myself on a Bones/trunk mount rack, but the hitch mounted ones seem popular so I was just going to see if they had any advantages that I was forgetting.
When I got my full suspension 29er, I HAD to get a hitch mount rack due to the non diamond shaped frame not working with traditional racks. I got the Softride Versa because it is one of the few that works with the side swing tailgate of the RAV4, making loading and unloading easier. Plus it works with any kind (or size)of bike. It has been a great unit. Sounds like your mind is made up, but that's my 2 cents in case you want a hitch mount.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #30908
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
When I got my full suspension 29er, I HAD to get a hitch mount rack due to the non diamond shaped frame not working with traditional racks. I got the Softride Versa because it is one of the few that works with the side swing tailgate of the RAV4, making loading and unloading easier. Plus it works with any kind (or size)of bike. It has been a great unit. Sounds like your mind is made up, but that's my 2 cents in case you want a hitch mount.
Good advice, but looks like they don't make that specific rack anymore anyway. I don't forecast getting any non-diamond frame bikes in the near future but it is something to think about!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #30909
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
FWIW, i've got plenty-thousands of miles on Campy Record 10-spd with a Wippermann (Connex?) link, with no trouble whatsoever. (beat the heck out of the goofy system Campy had,...)
+1. I have five Campy 10-speed bikes, all with Wippermann Connex chains. Plenty strong, easy removal, sweet shifting, and way cheaper than the Campy equivalent. Oh, look, they're on sale for $30 at comp cyclist for the plain steel. Looks like Jenson has some deals, too. I use the nickel steel (10S8 model +$10). Prices up to $100+ for full stainless.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #30910
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Hey Gummee! What is the best source for affordable spokes?

Bike Hub Store has good prices on Sapim spokes. I prefer them to DTs or Wheelsmith as they seem to not break as easily.
BHS always seesm to have stuff in stock and ships quick.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #30911
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,940
Quote:
Good advice, but looks like they don't make that specific rack anymore anyway. I don't forecast getting any non-diamond frame bikes in the near future but it is something to think about!
Yeah, it was discontinued when I was shopping, so I scored a new in the box unit off ebay.

In other news, this week old sinus infection/crud is really getting old. Luckily, that old country church at mile 20 in BFE had a port a potty in front of it yesterday. The inside of the crapper must have been 120F... and it was a long s(h)it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #30912
El Guero
V4 Whore

Didn't ride to work today and felt a little guilty about it, so I took the fast bike for a short ride after work. Decided to go after a Strava segment (I know I know ) near my house. I'd made a PR last time on it and thought I was cranking pretty good, but I didn't think I rode it as smart as I could. This time I attacked it a bit more thoughtfully, and today I beat my old record by 30 seconds! I couldn't believe it. Felt pretty good, and really makes me appreciate that Klein after slogging around on the Surly

Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #30913
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,970
Quote:

For the hitch rack, well, I don't really see what the advantages are ...
For me, it's simple, it doesn't touch my vehicle paint, easier to lock to vehicle.

-

Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #30914
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
hi 'Head!

FWIW, i've got plenty-thousands of miles on Campy Record 10-spd with a Wippermann (Connex?) link, with no trouble whatsoever. (beat the heck out of the goofy system Campy had,
I have 10+ year old 9 speed veloce that I converted to 10 speed with a new index disc, the stuff wears like nothing else, I only replace chains, my cassettes are all close to 6 years old

-

Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #30915
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
I have to stop looking at those off-roady Surlys... I love my Trucker and sometimes I think I'd like to try offroad bike riding, don't need another bike to spend money on though

Just put bigger tires on your LHT. I've seen people put 50's on it.
I've got Travel contacts on mine it'll go down any gravel road or root and rutted Muti Use Trail. I run 40's on mine.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: