User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #30961
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Love my Vitus, and I'm an ex sprints/kilo trackie. When I first got it, compared to my steel crit (jackhammer) bike, I had to keep looking to make sure I didn't have a tire going down. The wheels are rarely operating in the same plane, or even parallel planes, but it does just fine. On our local shit roads it descends like nothing else.

Sean Kelly stuck with clips and straps until he wasn't enough of a team leader to get his own bike on top of the team car. 1991, maybe? More than once, he was nearly taken out by clipless riders who'd pulled a foot. His countryman Martin Earley was one.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #30962
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,337
I quite enjoyed pulling for Martin, had some great rides there, climbing up behind Lemond and Hinault on Alp d'Huez and winning that stage of the Giro in 1986. For the boggies, Stephen Roche, Martin Earley, and King Kelly all in the front made for a lot of spilt ale.

I know when we were building stiffer and stiffer frames, trying to build them lighter and lighter, some of the wiser fellows wanted their frame to flex. I completely agree with this idea. People who could ride with their frames instead of on them seemed to do very well with them.

Especially after riding this Columbus Airplane frame for a few hundred miles. And don't get me started on the Cannondale kidney wrecker I had in 1990. Before it cracked at the headtube.

-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #30963
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I had a PDM Concorde. SLX frame. Loved that thing. I was going to build it up 'team edition' till I found out how expensive C-Record was! My college student budget wouldn't support that, so I ended up with a Shimano mix

One of the few bikes I wish I'd never sold.

M

I know essentially nothing about Concorde frames aside from they are Dutch. They started showing up when I was a kid in the 1980's but I always thought they were Italian frames rebranded in SL, SLX, and later TSX and eventually Max. I'd heard rumours they came out of the Ciocc factory for a while, then other builders. If you look carefully at a lot of the PDM Concordes they were TVT's repainted, and even a lot of the lugged frames had TVT forks. Any idea where your frame came was built?

For what it's worth, a year or so ago a Concorde TVT frame/fork sold on Ebay for 375 US Dollars.

Gert-Jan Theunisse on the Alp d'Huez with a Concorde TVT frame and a -- ahem-- Columbus sticker on the downtube.

Hello,

Nice to hear from you.
I asked my husband and: You are right!
it was a TVT bike!

Hope you got your answer.

All the best,

Nancy Theunisse
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 01:46 AM
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #30964
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 867
There's a local cyclocross/run-whatcha-brung race series that'll be firing up again in October. I got a wild hair today and decided that I may want to give it a shot. So I sat down with a few instructional videos on YouTube then pedaled to the park down the street to practice dismounts. It wasn't too dismal, managed to not sustain any wounds requiring stitches. The people in the house across the street from the park probably got some entertainment value from the whole enterprise. Who says physical comedy is dead? I think I may invest in a cup before starting up with the remounts.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #30965
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
There's a local cyclocross/run-whatcha-brung race series that'll be firing up again in October. I got a wild hair today and decided that I may want to give it a shot. So I sat down with a few instructional videos on YouTube then pedaled to the park down the street to practice dismounts. It wasn't too dismal, managed to not sustain any wounds requiring stitches. The people in the house across the street from the park probably got some entertainment value from the whole enterprise. Who says physical comedy is dead? I think I may invest in a cup before starting up with the remounts.

The Guys who Mount and Dismount well make it so easy,and effortless.The rest are the comic relief. That would be me,I'm so glad CX wasn't popular when I raced. We'd do single track MT biking for a different kind of workout. I was the comic relief on those rides.

The two guys I still keep up with race CX now....so you do the math
Me doing it they would rename it to Crash cross.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #30966
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
The Guys who Mount and Dismount well make it so easy,and effortless.The rest are the comic relief. That would be me,I'm so glad CX wasn't popular when I raced. We'd do single track MT biking for a different kind of workout. I was the comic relief on those rides.

The two guys I still keep up with race CX now....so you do the math
Me doing it they would rename it to Crash cross.
...and I'm somewhere in the middle. I can get a smooth one in every now and again, but mostly, I'm herky jerky when remounting.

During Friday's run-up training I managed to get one (of 3) remounts right (aka no hop-step) and almost forgot to pedal I was so surprised!

I'm cogitating on going cx racing next Sun. There's a Sportif Cup race north (way!) of here. My thought is to 'see what these new tire combos do' and 'see how these carbon rims brake' before the start of the Super 8 series. We'll see. That's the way I'm leaning right now... Gonna be a 'race, recover, race recover' kind of fall/winter.

M
Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #30967
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I know essentially nothing about Concorde frames aside from they are Dutch. They started showing up when I was a kid in the 1980's but I always thought they were Italian frames rebranded in SL, SLX, and later TSX and eventually Max. I'd heard rumours they came out of the Ciocc factory for a while, then other builders. If you look carefully at a lot of the PDM Concordes they were TVT's repainted, and even a lot of the lugged frames had TVT forks. Any idea where your frame came was built?

For what it's worth, a year or so ago a Concorde TVT frame/fork sold on Ebay for 375 US Dollars.

Gert-Jan Theunisse on the Alp d'Huez with a Concorde TVT frame and a -- ahem-- Columbus sticker on the downtube.

Hello,

Nice to hear from you.
I asked my husband and: You are right!
it was a TVT bike!

Hope you got your answer.

All the best,

Nancy Theunisse
All the Concordes had Italian flags on the TT. They were made either by Bilata or (most likely) Ciocc. Rode really nicely, but the Paramount I borrowed when I ripped my dropout off rode even nicer.

...So I'm looking for a Paramount SLX frame in addition to my Concorde. When I say 'looking' I'm not hunting seriously, but if one falls in my lap for the right price, I'm gonna buy it.

M
Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #30968
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
And don't get me started on the Cannondale kidney wrecker I had in 1990. Before it cracked at the headtube.
Did it ride better after it cracked? Before crossing over from mtb to road riding, I borrowed a college friend's 1990 Cannondale for a couple of rides of maybe 30 miles. You could feel every individual piece of aggregate and or crack in the pavement. The roads around our campus were billiard table smooth too. It was as if my balls were resting on a tuning fork in the most uncomfortable hertz range possible. I don't know how my buddy rode that bike. I ended up buying a used Bianchi for my first road bike in 1991. Wish I had kept it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #30969
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,987
31 miles today. Yeah, it shows 30.5 - forgot to push the start button on the GPS.

Felt good. Started at 0700 and was done by 0900. This was very urban in Phoenix - lots of stoplights and one convenience store stop for a banana and water. With this group, each light is a jackrabbit start back up to speed. A total pain in the ass but I think it's a good way to build strength.

The first half was fairly fast. Speeds topped out at 25 or so before another light dragged us back down.

Part of riding a recumbent is rapant paranoria - I swear they were trying to drop me. On the other hand, part of riding a recumbent is knowing that the fast riders in our club can't ride away from me on the flats, downhill or even slight inclines. I still had a few more MPH in the tank - at least to the next light - but there was no use using them. I knew what was coming on the second half of the ride.

The second half more challenging as we made a slight climb bumping up against the edge of South Mountain. I got dropped from the fast group about a mile from the peak(ish) but I wasn't the first. Four others were dropped way before me.

Maybe I'll get up early and ride a few days this week. Voice is still impacted - can't yell "car" or "clear". Oh well, I can still ride a little...
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #30970
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
...and no lawyer tabs back then, quick releases worked as they should. Just saying.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #30971
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,103
Nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
31 miles today. Yeah, it shows 30.5 - forgot to push the start button on the GPS.

Felt good. Started at 0700 and was done by 0900. This was very urban in Phoenix - lots of stoplights and one convenience store stop for a banana and water. With this group, each light is a jackrabbit start back up to speed. A total pain in the ass but I think it's a good way to build strength.

The first half was fairly fast. Speeds topped out at 25 or so before another light dragged us back down.

Part of riding a recumbent is rapant paranoria - I swear they were trying to drop me. On the other hand, part of riding a recumbent is knowing that the fast riders in our club can't ride away from me on the flats, downhill or even slight inclines. I still had a few more MPH in the tank - at least to the next light - but there was no use using them. I knew what was coming on the second half of the ride.

The second half more challenging as we made a slight climb bumping up against the edge of South Mountain. I got dropped from the fast group about a mile from the peak(ish) but I wasn't the first. Four others were dropped way before me.

Maybe I'll get up early and ride a few days this week. Voice is still impacted - can't yell "car" or "clear". Oh well, I can still ride a little...
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #30972
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,995
Lovely ride today....till I broke a goddam spoke
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #30973
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,103
Well, I stayed up too late drinking wine and trying to cool off in the pool. So this morning I woke up feeling very much second hand.
Decided what would fix me or damned sure teach me a lesson was riding so I ate a waffle then followed that with a banana and a bit of pinhead oats and yogurt and dried fruit.
Then saddled up and took off like I was shot out of a gun.
A group of four fast guys came by so I jumped on to them. That lasted to the coffee shop three miles out so I got about a two mile quick-warm-up. They broke up and pulled off so I decided to see how long the slight head wind would let me ride hard.
The answer was a bit over half way to the beach, then somebody turned the fan up and my speed dropped. That last ten miles was killer. Beach was socked in with fog and if I'd have my good camera I could have gotten some nice shots of fog rolling over the hills. Could not see the water across the beach it was so thick. And at about three miles out dew was forming all over my body as my well warmed body was hit by the damp cool air.

Turning around and heading back inland felt pretty good for a while. The tailwind was nice too sort of quartering a bit.
A group of real fast guys went by as I got past the 405 but they were motoring hard. I caught up to them at the park at ten miles and they came by again about the ball park, but there was no way I was catching any free rides with that train. They were motoring about 23 mph and I just couldn't hang anymore.

About a mile before my last stop I was at the point of feeling like puking. I gulped more water and waited as I pedaled for the sickness to start up but I got away with it.
Stopped for water and a rest in the shade and promptly dumped my Nuun mix on my head instead of the water I'd meant to use.
Sticky?
Yep. Stings the eyes a good bit too. Hosed myself off with repeated bottle fillings and dumpings. Ate a GU, and drank a bottle of water stretched a little and waited for the Gu to kick in.
Left feeling just the slightest cramp trying to get started just below my right knee and at the top of the calf.
Didn't the Gu did the trick.
Last bit of fun was the Chevy Volt driven by an older fart than me, nearly running the red light and hitting me. I saluted and the excitement got me up the hill.
Cooled down good with ice and more icewater and now it's time for some of the homemade soup I smelled as I opened the door.

Your moment of STRAVA:

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #30974
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,110
The wife and I rode that trail along the river about 6 years ago starting up around Fullerton, it was bone dry then and they were excavating washed gravel out of it.

Looks like we did similar workouts but mine was avoiding Amish buggies, not grocery buggies under bridges...

After I loaded up, I went to Crow Canyon to practice MX and get some hot laps in on the trails with the 350XCF and when I parked my bike out of the way, my buddy noticed my tire looked out of sorts. A separated belt was nice enough to let me finish my ride

I tried to ride the 950 today, I was too tired to enjoy the ride so I came home early. 3 hours of pedaling followed but 4 hours of moto was too much for this guy

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #30975
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,303
One for the old guys

I was out doing some equipment tests when I ran into members of a group I occasionally ride with. They were doing a TT race, with two tickets to this year's Horrible Hundred as part of the prize package.

To no one's surprize, Cat 1 racer Jason Guillon won first place. I guess there's something to be said for weighing slightly more than a hamster.

The big surprise was 'old geezer' Steven Rooks, who finished only a minute behind to win second place.

As for me, my GPS data shows that aero helmets are no faster at high speeds than a regular helmet; they just look ridiculous.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: