That's a steal!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #31172
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Have I mentioned how much I really hate riding clinchers for cross? Well, I do. Ride tubulars? No flats. Ride clinchers? Flat per ride. I keep doing it because replacing a $30 clincher is easier than replacing a $100 tubular.

Despite the issues I had a good time and a good workout. CX is still the hardest thing I've done on 2 wheels but the most fun at the same time.

M
I'm going full tubeless for 'cross this year. American Classic TCX wheels with Stan's Racing Ralph tires and orange seal. We'll see how it goes...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #31173
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Dwayne - which part of ATL does your commute cover? I used to ride from the Rockbridge/ Jimmy Carter Blvd over to Technology Park going through old Norcross. IIRC, it was about 10 miles. The only tough part was Jimmy Carter Blvd but once past that, it was back streets the rest of the way.

It took essentially the same time as driving.
I'm close to Hurt Rd just west of Smyrna, ride two miles to the Silver Comet, go four miles on that to South Cobb Dr, head south on that for 2.5 miles over to Perry Blvd, take that downtown (it changes name to Marietta St at some point). All in all it's not too bad, the section of South Cobb Dr between 285 and the Silver Comet is the worst bit.

SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #31174
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Well I laced my first wheel and it turned out just fine.

I added this...

to this...

Single speed was mildly amusing but not practical for where I ride. You can read that as too many hills. The frame has no provision for a derailleur and I found a good deal on the Nuvinci and there ya go.

And just because I am
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #31175
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Well I laced my first wheel and it turned out just fine.

I added this...

I hate lacing inteneral gear hubs. Balancing that 10 pound hub while trying to thread the first few nipples on is a PIA.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #31176
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,987
CO Last Chance comments, Day 3

If the riders completed their run to Kensington and back, they'll hopefully get a few hours sleep.

The DNF's are mounting. Two riders I know personally didn't finish and they were joined by one more. Of those two, I'm not sure of their issues yet. They both returned to Atwood just after midnight. That's a great time for them and beat my time last year by about 3 hours. Clearly, something else caused them to stay in bed or abandon their efforts.

This morning, if you're at least a somewhat astute observer, you can pick out those who will and won't finish. Despite only about 3 hours sleep, when we headed out last year, I was raring to go - 100% confident. But, I left my partner behind. He was already in zombie mode and couldn't manage to change a tire that went flat as he slept. I asked one of the other riders who had withdrawn to give him a hand. You can't allow others to have too much of an impact on your ride. It's hard to believe but every minute counts as the ride moves forward.

Another guy and I started out but I had my doubts about him also. There's a nice, long climb out of Atwood as you head back to the west. I dropped him in the first mile of that climb and never saw him again that day. He abandoned the ride about 11 hours later. My partner managed to get on the road about 30 minutes after I left and he abandoned around midnight when he could no longer balance himself on the bike.

The first city they'll hit on today's ride is Bird City - a short 27 mile ride from Atwood. If they're smart, they'll stop and eat at the little cafe there. Since no one has accused me of being smart, I kept rolling towards St Francis.

They'll ride only 180 miles today but the real challenge is making it to Anton before 6 pm. The only store for about 50 miles is there and if they arrive after 6 pm, there's no food.

We were lucky - several of the riders' support teams took up a collection and had food there for us upon our arrival last year. If I had stayed to help my partner, I likely would have missed out on the food.

For those who arrived after about 10 pm, there was nothing except the food & snacks in their bags. If they didn't plan well, they're SOL. That can be a tough hurdle to overcome.

The rest of today's ride into Byers is only 50 miles. I don't recall most of that since the exhaustion was setting in. I was riding with a Canadian and we both decided it was time for a nap on the side of the road down in the deep grass. That last 50 miles took forever.

There's one guy on the ride who must be working on a personal best. The first day, he rode the 251 miles in 18 hours - not fast - but he was out of the control in under two hours (in at 2100, out at 2355). No overnight sleep...not even a few hours.

He completed the 219 mile out-and-back yesterday at 1730 hrs and was only in the control for just over 2 hours.

He's already arrived through the Byers control at noon today. This is where the majority of the people will arrive well after midnight and sleep. He was on the road again by 1300 hrs. With only 103 miles to go, I suspect he'll be done by 6 pm or 7 pm tonight. That's 750 miles in about 64 hours.

The lady who simply killed it the first day appears to still be doing well. She was back in the control last night at 1906 hrs and appears to have had at least 5 hours of sleep. Decent amount of rest.

The weather appears to be slightly in their favor. Winds are out of the south-south-east as the're heading literally due west. Temps are in the high 60's. They're probably getting a little wet though.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #31177
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 867
Crap. I've managed to avoid a serious case of new bike lust for a while now. That kinda went down the tubes when I saw Niner's new gravel grinder.

I wants it...even with the Aqua-Fresh colorway, I wants it. Complete specs and propaganda here: http://www.ninerbikes.com/RLT9
Old 09-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #31178
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I'm going full tubeless for 'cross this year. American Classic TCX wheels with Stan's Racing Ralph tires and orange seal. We'll see how it goes...
I've heard too many stories about tires burping to go tubeless.

Lemme know how it goes.

Second race of the season coming up in Germantown, Md on Sun at 1145. In theory I should be starting on the front row. ...assuming that the refs have fixed their goof that is. I WAS in the race last Sun. Promise!

M
Old 09-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #31179
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Crap. I've managed to avoid a serious case of new bike lust for a while now. That kinda went down the tubes when I saw Niner's new gravel grinder.

I wants it...even with the Aqua-Fresh colorway, I wants it. Complete specs and propaganda here: http://www.ninerbikes.com/RLT9
Life's short.

Go for it!

M
Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #31180
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post

I am sure it would ride great, but it looks like it would kick the shit out of you on the gravel around here.....

I do like the looks of it and the specs look nice.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #31181
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
He's already arrived through the Byers control at noon today. This is where the majority of the people will arrive well after midnight and sleep. He was on the road again by 1300 hrs. With only 103 miles to go, I suspect he'll be done by 6 pm or 7 pm tonight. That's 750 miles in about 64 hours.
The guy I mentioned above finished at 1925 or 7:25 pm. Most of the rest won't finish until tomorrow afternoon. .
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #31182
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,014
Not been keeping up on this read of late, and I'm sure this question has been answered a bunch of times, but. . . . .
Wife's touring/commuter bike, a 2000 novara randonee, is really in need of new wheels. The tiagra hubs need a bunch of little parts that are hard to find (dust caps, cones, etc.), the rims are quite worn, and the spokes are no-name straight gauge things. And she's put tens of thousands of miles on the bike. I'd like to get her a new wheelset, nothing too fancy, but higher quality than what's on there. Lightness is not a concern. I'm leaning towards a tiagra or LX hub, Mavic open sport or A319 rim, 36 spoke. Supposedly her bike is built with a 132.5mm rear hub spacing, and can use either 130 or 135 mm hub.

Any thoughts? I'd like to stay in the $175-250 range, and I'm not looking to build the wheels myself, especially when it doesn't seem to save me any money.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #31183
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Not been keeping up on this read of late, and I'm sure this question has been answered a bunch of times, but. . . . .
Wife's touring/commuter bike, a 2000 novara randonee, is really in need of new wheels. The tiagra hubs need a bunch of little parts that are hard to find (dust caps, cones, etc.), the rims are quite worn, and the spokes are no-name straight gauge things. And she's put tens of thousands of miles on the bike. I'd like to get her a new wheelset, nothing too fancy, but higher quality than what's on there. Lightness is not a concern. I'm leaning towards a tiagra or LX hub, Mavic open sport or A319 rim, 36 spoke. Supposedly her bike is built with a 132.5mm rear hub spacing, and can use either 130 or 135 mm hub.

Any thoughts? I'd like to stay in the $175-250 range, and I'm not looking to build the wheels myself, especially when it doesn't seem to save me any money.
handspun wheels (sold through QBP) are quite well made. cheaper than you can buy the parts for, too. most any dealer can order these from their QBP catalog.

maybe...
http://harriscyclery.net/product/dim...e9216-qc49.htm
plus
http://harriscyclery.net/product/dim...e9212-qc49.htm

mavic open sport are a real nice rim. thats a 36H rear, there's a 32H version too.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #31184
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
handspun wheels (sold through QBP) are quite well made. cheaper than you can buy the parts for, too. most any dealer can order these from their QBP catalog.

maybe...
http://harriscyclery.net/product/dim...e9216-qc49.htm
plus
http://harriscyclery.net/product/dim...e9212-qc49.htm

mavic open sport are a real nice rim. thats a 36H rear, there's a 32H version too.

Those are what I'm looking at. I guess a big part of my question is: what's the difference between a LX hub and a Tiagra hub- is the mtb hub actually sealed better against dirt and wet, or are they basically the same hub except for spacing. And is there a better price/quality group- I would normally look at 105 components, but what I've read so far is that the tiagra hubs are as good as anything shimano makes when it comes to touring.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #31185
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
You could also consider spending a little more and getting her a dynamo front hub so she can run dynamo lights. Just a thought since you said it's her commuter/tourer.

SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: