ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #31231
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 6,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
No this was down toward 47th past U Penn.

I found the exact spot I think. Google maps FTW! Just imagine it's getting dark folks are on the pavement drinking flagons of the finest malt beverage.

Keswick Cycle not far from there.


Ahh yeah, sketchy as fuck over there. Going for landspeed records?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #31232
soewe812
Wag more Bark less
 
soewe812's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Springville, Utah
Oddometer: 999
Did a 90 mile ride today. Chased the thunderstorms the whole way, but only got a few sprinkles. Apparently I missed the lighting and hail that hit about 30 minute before me. There was one double set of train tracks that were good and wet and crossed the road at a 45 degree angle though. Bunny hopped the first track at around 19 mph but only got the front wheel over the second set. Rear end kicked out to the right about 30 degrees. My right leg came against the top tube so hard for control that it got a nasty bruise. Saved it though. Glad it was wet enough that I didn't high side when it kicked back. I think I may have re greased my chamois though I am officially toast now. I suspect I will be rather sore tomorrow after the acrobatics of today.


soewe812 screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 04:10 PM
soewe812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #31233
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,994
Buying at wholesale for export?

A friend and fellow cyclist from Britain was here recently and wants me to look into the possibility of supplying him with cycle gear and parts. He already has an on-line business, so it wouldn't be difficult to expand his inventory to include these things. The question is, what kind of paperwork would I need to buy at wholesale cost from manufacturers? Would a business license suffice?

__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #31234
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,185
It's been years since I was in the business and I'm not sure what it is you're trying to supply him.

Generally there are dealer agreements for bigger suppliers and those pertain to how much you're going to buy in a year.


People are probably going to need more information.

I can buy nearly everything from clothes to forks to chainsets for less money from England even with shipping so I'm sure you've worked some angle that makes sense for you to buy it here and then feed it to him across the pond.
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #31235
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Did a 90 mile ride today. Chased the thunderstorms the whole way, but only got a few sprinkles. Apparently I missed the lighting and hail that hit about 30 minute before me. There was one double set of train tracks that were good and wet and crossed the road at a 45 degree angle though. Bunny hopped the first track at around 19 mph but only got the front wheel over the second set. Rear end kicked out to the right about 30 degrees. My right leg came against the top tube so hard for control that it got a nasty bruise. Saved it though. Glad it was wet enough that I didn't high side when it kicked back. I think I may have re greased my chamois though I am officially toast now. I suspect I will be rather sore tomorrow after the acrobatics of today.


That looks like a very nice ride and well done on the mileage! I'm happy you didn't fold up your rear wheel on the slide.
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #31236
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
A friend and fellow cyclist from Britain was here recently and wants me to look into the possibility of supplying him with cycle gear and parts. He already has an on-line business, so it wouldn't be difficult to expand his inventory to include these things. The question is, what kind of paperwork would I need to buy at wholesale cost from manufacturers? Would a business license suffice?

For sure, QBP requires a storefront.

I'm not sure what you could supply that he can't already get over there.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #31237
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
It's been years since I was in the business and I'm not sure what it is you're trying to supply him.

Generally there are dealer agreements for bigger suppliers and those pertain to how much you're going to buy in a year.


People are probably going to need more information.

I can buy nearly everything from clothes to forks to chainsets for less money from England even with shipping so I'm sure you've worked some angle that makes sense for you to buy it here and then feed it to him across the pond.
I'm surprised to hear that. When I was in the UK, most things cost about the same in pounds as they cost here in dollars, or 1:1.8, at 2005 exchange rates.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #31238
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I'm surprised to hear that. When I was in the UK, most things cost about the same in pounds as they cost here in dollars, or 1:1.8, at 2005 exchange rates.
I just ordered 2 Racing Ralph tubular tires from the UK for the price of one from QBP.

Except for a few 'made in the USA' kinds of things, he's got more access to more than we do.

QBP requires a storefront, yellow pages listing, and pics of the shop to qualify to buy from them. IIRC J&B was pretty similar. You'd have better luck with the chinese stuff floating around alibaba.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #31239
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
For sure, QBP requires a storefront.

I'm not sure what you could supply that he can't already get over there.
Not sure when it comes to bicycle stuff, but there are a lot of things you can buy in the US that either isn't sold at all in the UK, or if they are, prices are ridiculously high. When they come here, they typically buy three empty suitcases, fill them to capacity, and then sell the stuff in the UK for twice what they paid for it.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #31240
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I just ordered 2 Racing Ralph tubular tires from the UK for the price of one from QBP.

Except for a few 'made in the USA' kinds of things, he's got more access to more than we do.

QBP requires a storefront, yellow pages listing, and pics of the shop to qualify to buy from them. IIRC J&B was pretty similar. You'd have better luck with the chinese stuff floating around alibaba.

M
Good to know.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #31241
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Did a 90 mile ride today. Chased the thunderstorms the whole way, but only got a few sprinkles. Apparently I missed the lighting and hail that hit about 30 minute before me. There was one double set of train tracks that were good and wet and crossed the road at a 45 degree angle though. Bunny hopped the first track at around 19 mph but only got the front wheel over the second set. Rear end kicked out to the right about 30 degrees. My right leg came against the top tube so hard for control that it got a nasty bruise. Saved it though. Glad it was wet enough that I didn't high side when it kicked back. I think I may have re greased my chamois though I am officially toast now. I suspect I will be rather sore tomorrow after the acrobatics of today.

Hey - I know that area. We rode it as part of a 600k last year:



Larger map here

That was my first - and only - 600k brevet and the heat in June was tough. It seems that every other vehicle around the lake was a huge, lifted 4x4 pulling a fairly large boat. It was a clue that the local economy there was doing very well.

As I recall, there were some pretty significant fires on the southwest side of the lake. Has that area recovered? Central Utah, to your south, is a beautiful area. The drivers were fairly nice also.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #31242
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Not sure when it comes to bicycle stuff, but there are a lot of things you can buy in the US that either isn't sold at all in the UK, or if they are, prices are ridiculously high. When they come here, they typically buy three empty suitcases, fill them to capacity, and then sell the stuff in the UK for twice what they paid for it.
Pretty common for Brazilians to do the same. My wife just landed in Sao Paulo this morning - her sister is in surgery for breast cancer this morning - and she took two large suitcases filled to capacity with "stuff".

Her advantage is that you're allowed two suitcases, 35 kg each, at no charge to and from Brazil.

I told her to follow a large family, pushing one or two carts, filled to capacity with 8 or 10 suitcases, a bicycle carton and two flat screen TV's, through the "Nothing to declare" line at Customs.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #31243
soewe812
Wag more Bark less
 
soewe812's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Springville, Utah
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
That looks like a very nice ride and well done on the mileage! I'm happy you didn't fold up your rear wheel on the slide.
Thanks. I am surprised about the rim myself. It only has 16 spokes and I am a clyde.
soewe812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #31244
soewe812
Wag more Bark less
 
soewe812's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Springville, Utah
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Hey - I know that area. We rode it as part of a 600k last year:



Larger map here

That was my first - and only - 600k brevet and the heat in June was tough. It seems that every other vehicle around the lake was a huge, lifted 4x4 pulling a fairly large boat. It was a clue that the local economy there was doing very well.

As I recall, there were some pretty significant fires on the southwest side of the lake. Has that area recovered? Central Utah, to your south, is a beautiful area. The drivers were fairly nice also.
The economy in Utah hasn't taken quite as big a hit as other places in the country although it is down some. I think you will find most of those big trucks and toys are bought on credit to impress the neighbors. That is the state sport so to speak.

The fire areas are slowly recovering. This year has been pretty wet and there have been flooding and mudslide issues just about everywhere there have been fires recently.

Utah's diverse geologic beauty is what has kept me here despite most of the people.
soewe812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #31245
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,185
I'm not sure what they're buying here that they can't get in England. I've back and forth quite a bit and I suppose there are a few things less expensive here, but when it comes to cycling I'm not sure what, aside from particular small shop 'Made in the USA' goods, could be less expensive here than over there. Hockey equipment I could see. A pair of skates in Ireland is blindingly expensive. But not cycling.


For instance:
I have an old Eddy Merckx MX-Leader frame and I've decided to build it up with a new Columbus carbon fork, Campy headset, Cinelli bars, 3T stem, all for about a 120 USD less than I could buy it here from Competitive or Exel. Not that I could find that Columbus fork anywhere stateside.





I put my order in Mon 9-16
1 x Columbus Minimal Road Forks Carbon 1"
1 x Campagnolo Record Threadless 1 Inch Headset
1 x Thomson Stem Shim Black
1 x 3T ARX Pro Alloy Oversized Road Stem Black 110mm
1 x Cinelli Graphis XL Shallow White Road Handlebar White 44cm
3 x Deda Metal Spacers Black 5mm - 1 Inch

and it all shipped 9-17 aside from the shim which was back ordered and was sent out today, 9-18.

Free shipping.

I hear people have been nicked with customs fees on a hit or miss basis, but I have never had to pay any sort of additional monies. About 5 days shipping and maybe 2 in customs, figure a week on the long side.
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014