ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 4.37 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #31246
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I'm not sure what they're buying here that they can't get in England.
Most of it looks like clothing. They've been financing their vacations like this for many years, so they know exactly what to look for. People are always PMing me on the UKGS forum to send them things ranging from CD collections, to riding suits, to electronic parts, none of which are sold in the UK. One fellow in N. Ireland wasn't satisfied with the two riding suits I sent him and sent me another shopping list. I told him this was really taking the piss, and that he either needed to compensate me for my trouble or fuck off. I never heard from him again.

Quote:
I hear people have been nicked with customs fees on a hit or miss basis.
They've got that figured out too. They always book a return flight to some little known airport in Wales, arriving at a time early in the morning when the customs inspectors have left. Then they simply say they have nothing to declare and walk right through.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #31247
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Pretty common for Brazilians to do the same. My wife just landed in Sao Paulo this morning - her sister is in surgery for breast cancer this morning - and she took two large suitcases filled to capacity with "stuff".

Her advantage is that you're allowed two suitcases, 35 kg each, at no charge to and from Brazil.

I told her to follow a large family, pushing one or two carts, filled to capacity with 8 or 10 suitcases, a bicycle carton and two flat screen TV's, through the "Nothing to declare" line at Customs.
Pretty amazing what you can get away with in some places. In Colombia, we were approached by the head of customs, demanding a bribe to allow all our 'illegal' items through. When we told him we had nothing illegal, he had his henchmen go through our suitcases with a magnifying glass, determined to find something. He looked pretty pissed off when they couldn't find anything.

In Indonesia, I saw people just handing wads of money to customs officials and being waved right through without so much as having to open their suitcases. This happened right out in the open, with everyone watching.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #31248
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 17,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I told her to follow a large family, pushing one or two carts, filled to capacity with 8 or 10 suitcases, a bicycle carton and two flat screen TV's, through the "Nothing to declare" line at Customs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Pretty amazing what you can get away with in some places. In Colombia, we were approached by the head of customs, demanding a bribe to allow all our 'illegal' items through. When we told him we had nothing illegal, he had his henchmen go through our suitcases with a magnifying glass, determined to find something. He looked pretty pissed off when they couldn't find anything.

In Indonesia, I saw people just handing wads of money to customs officials and being waved right through without so much as having to open their suitcases. This happened right out in the open, with everyone watching.
Actually, in Brazil, that family that I used as an example will get pulled aside every single time. That's why we always follow them - we look rather harmless with our two large suitcases and we are simply waved through.

In probably 20 trips, we've been stopped once and one suitcase that they scanned (as opposed to opening) had a desktop in it. They asked about it and my wife told them that she didn't have a laptop and needed to work during the holidays. We were waved on since the other suitcases had nothing of interest after they were scanned.

When I go there on business, I'm a lot more conservative - I don't want to cause issues for my employer.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #31249
inyang
5secs away
 
inyang's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Lagos/Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Not sure when it comes to bicycle stuff, but there are a lot of things you can buy in the US that either isn't sold at all in the UK, or if they are, prices are ridiculously high. .
My experience is that UK prices are at same pound figure as US dollar prices.

One of the reasons I keep checking if BMW helmets are coming to the USA. Paying UK prices every 2 years adds up.
__________________
'11 - 690R
inyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #31250
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
My experience is that UK prices are at same pound figure as US dollar prices.
Are you talking about bicycle products?
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #31251
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,022
Sounded like he was talking about Motorbike gear.

Because it is certainly not the case for bicycle parts. Or kit. Or frames.


Fulcrum Racing 7 Clincher Wheelset 2013, 165 USD in the England, in the States you can find them for 199 if you're lucky.

Campagnolo Zonda Clincher Wheelset, 401 USD in England, 482 USD the cheapest I could find in the States.

Fizik Aliante Versus Saddle with K:IUM Rails 113 USD in England, in the States I found one for 114 USD.

De Rosa Merak Evolution Athena R5 2013, 3,346 USD in England, 3,740 USD in the States.
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 01:47 PM
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #31252
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: live free or die
Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
...Because it is certainly not the case for bicycle parts. Or kit. Or frames.


Fulcrum Racing 7 Clincher Wheelset 2013, 165 USD in the England, in the States you can find them for 199 if you're lucky.
...
... Or Time Expresso 8 pedals for 130 with the shipping vs 274.

Though, if you're in a hurry, shipping from Colorado to the east coast is about a day less than from Ireland.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #31253
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Daydreaming idea... Was thinking about replacing the 48/36/26 crankset on my LHT with a 40/26 double. Given the cost and trouble I've talked myself put of it, but I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion anyway
__________________

El Guero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #31254
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 9,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Daydreaming idea... Was thinking about replacing the 48/36/26 crankset on my LHT with a 40/26 double. Given the cost and trouble I've talked myself put of it, but I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion anyway
I might be interested in the 48/36/26 depending on what it is and what kind of BB it uses. and how much shipping is from whereever you are to California


40 is a pretty small big ring, you sure thats what you want?
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #31255
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
That's the thing... I'm a big dude and it's a heavy bike so it needs low gears, but I wonder about the higher gears. I don't do many long descents in Iowa, but it could happen someday right? On the other hand, a 48 tooth big ring still isn't exactly huge, and with a good tail wind and a flat road I'd be pretty close to maxing out the 40 tooth at a reasonable cadence.

As it is now I usually ride smack dab in the middle of the gear range. If I went to the 40/26 double I think I'd end up coasting down more hills. So I suppose I can't sell pierce that triple quite yet
__________________

El Guero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #31256
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 9,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
That's the thing... I'm a big dude and it's a heavy bike so it needs low gears, but I wonder about the higher gears. I don't do many long descents in Iowa, but it could happen someday right? On the other hand, a 48 tooth big ring still isn't exactly huge, and with a good tail wind and a flat road I'd be pretty close to maxing out the 40 tooth at a reasonable cadence.

As it is now I usually ride smack dab in the middle of the gear range. If I went to the 40/26 double I think I'd end up coasting down more hills. So I suppose I can't sell pierce that triple quite yet
i'm a lazy overweight hybrid rider, currently on a 48/38/28, and I use the big ring pretty much exclusively on flatlands, midrange in my rear 13-26 cluster. the mid ring is for most non big/long hills, and I save the 28 strictly for mile+ grinds up 8% grade kinda stuff.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #31257
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Daydreaming idea... Was thinking about replacing the 48/36/26 crankset on my LHT with a 40/26 double. Given the cost and trouble I've talked myself put of it, but I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
On the other hand, a 48 tooth big ring still isn't exactly huge, and with a good tail wind and a flat road I'd be pretty close to maxing out the 40 tooth at a reasonable cadence.

As it is now I usually ride smack dab in the middle of the gear range. If I went to the 40/26 double I think I'd end up coasting down more hills. So I suppose I can't sell pierce that triple quite yet
I've been thinking of doing the same thing: 50/34 to 40/26. I coast down every hill, conserving energy. I'm not racing, so being able to crank big speed is pointless. I'm financially challenged, otherwise, I'd already have it done.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #31258
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: live free or die
Oddometer: 376
I've been riding with a compact crank for about 3 years now, like it a lot.
Mine is 50/34 front and 12/23 (10 speed) rear.
Lots of hills here, and I regularly spin out in the top gear, but that's between 45 and 50 mph. If you aren't as nutty as I am for speed, coasting works just fine.

The low gearing (relative to what I used to have) is nice for getting home though.

filmfan screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 06:15 PM
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #31259
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 9,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
I've been riding with a compact crank for about 3 years now, like it a lot.
Mine is 50/34 front and 12/23 (10 speed) rear.
Lots of hills here, and I regularly spin out in the top gear, but that's between 45 and 50 mph. If you aren't as nutty as I am for speed, coasting works just fine.

The low gearing (relative to what I used to have) is nice for getting home though.
changing the rear cassette to one with a larger tooth range works great, and is cheaper than changing cranks catch-22, the 10 speed world seems stuck on 11t high gears, when for most non-racing riders, a 13t is plenty high enough. 13t will help your chains last longer, too.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #31260
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,149
Biggest bit of math you need to remember when contemplating a ring or cassette swap: 1 tooth in the back is worth 3 in the front.

IOW a 50x12 combo feels like a 53x13

HTH

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014