Looked pretty large
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #31308
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I need some cold weather gear for mountain biking.
The good thing is MTB-ing doesn't require as much versus road riding. Jay Petervary uses MontBell. I have no experience with their stuff. But, for a guy who has accomplished what he has and initially bought all his own gear, I think that speaks volumes. He has a blog here. There are quite a few videos on YT, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I'd been wanting to get some nice big panniers for shopping/hopefully some bike camping. There's a guy who who has some nice "classic" styled panniers made here in Iowa that are nice, but not very big. I'm thinking Ortlieb now... Anybody have experience with those?
The Touring Store has a great selection and customer service. Have a look around. Ortlieb is really nice stuff and will be what I purchase.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #31309
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Well done Fullmonte. I've not ridden any of my bikes since the 14th.

Coach said to leave them in the garage for a month and go find something else to occupy my fitness time. I picked running.

...my legs hurt like they've never been used before!
Go hashing. All the running PLUS more beer!

Buddy is on his way over to do a CX workout. Tabata intervals, then some 5min at race pace with 30sec/30sec off then ride over to the other park and do a set of run-ups.

AFA winter: layers. Several thin ones work better than one thick one. I've migrated most of my base and mid- layers over to merino over the last few years. For when its really cold, I'm a fan of Gore Bike Wear outerwear. I wore my Phantom jacket thru a 2.5ish hour snowy/sleety ride last winter and came back dry underneath. Coldest I started a ride last winter was 19deg. I was comfy except the bridge of my nose froze till I got warmed up.

M
Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #31310
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The Touring Store has a great selection and customer service. Have a look around. Ortlieb is really nice stuff and will be what I purchase.
I just emailed Wayne there. I'm going back and forth between Ortlieb and Lone Peak. I did a little more reading and some people say you want waterproof, some people say you don't, honestly I can see it both ways but I definitely lean towards waterproof.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #31311
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post

Are we still cutting chains so that when in the big front ring and smallest cog the rear derailleur is at 90 degrees to the ground or is there something new to know with 10 speed?
What I have been doing - run your chain around big chainring up front and largest cog in the rear ( not threading through rear derailleur) count another two links and cut there.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #31312
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
Quote:
Well done Fullmonte. I've not ridden any of my bikes since the 14th.

Coach said to leave them in the garage for a month and go find something else to occupy my fitness time. I picked running.

...my legs hurt like they've never been used before!
Funny I was about to switch back to cycling from running
Old 09-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #31313
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I just emailed Wayne there. I'm going back and forth between Ortlieb and Lone Peak. I did a little more reading and some people say you want waterproof, some people say you don't, honestly I can see it both ways but I definitely lean towards waterproof.
Well, I don't know anyone who likes wet stuff, especially their sleeping bag.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #31314
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
I've always been a proponent of soft bags using waterproof liners and multiple inner bags to protect/organize contents. I still want the stuff to be protected from the elements when I remove them from the panniers.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #31315
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,689
that's me too.

it makes it a bit more of a hassle to get things in and out, but all my small bags fit into large ziplock freezer bags.

watterproof panniers are almost always heavier, and i don't necessarily want panniers that trap all the moisture in all the time.
if you're unfortunate enough to spend a few days in the rain, it seems like nothing is so waterproof anyway.

furthermore, i'd rather leave dirty wet panniers on the bike and bring just the ziplocks with everything in them or just the smaller bags into my tent/living space. (just like using bag liners in the System Cases on the moto.)
nice lightweight breathable panniers work will most of the time, and ziplocks are a simple solution for the rest of the time.

cheers!

Quote:
I've always been a proponent of soft bags using waterproof liners and multiple inner bags to protect/organize contents. I still want the stuff to be protected from the elements when I remove them from the panniers.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #31316
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
+1

On motorcycle trips, I put everything in big zip loc bags or small dry bags and THEN put them into my side bags.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #31317
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
The Ortlieb waterproof bags have provisions to mount smaller mesh bags on the outside. I'm thinking this may split the difference a bit if you need to air things out... I've pretty much decided against the roll-top Ortlieb bags but the ones with the drawstrings seem like they might be easier to let air out if you want.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #31318
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
http://salsacycles.com/bikes/2014_vaya_2

I'm kind of behind in this thread, but the silhouette is nearly identical to Salsa's Vaya, except for the skinny eat stays. It's pretty cool that the huge companies are taking cues from smaller manufacturers...
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #31319
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
that's me too.

it makes it a bit more of a hassle to get things in and out, but all my small bags fit into large ziplock freezer bags.

watterproof panniers are almost always heavier, and i don't necessarily want panniers that trap all the moisture in all the time.
if you're unfortunate enough to spend a few days in the rain, it seems like nothing is so waterproof anyway.

furthermore, i'd rather leave dirty wet panniers on the bike and bring just the ziplocks with everything in them or just the smaller bags into my tent/living space. (just like using bag liners in the System Cases on the moto.)
nice lightweight breathable panniers work will most of the time, and ziplocks are a simple solution for the rest of the time.

cheers!
I'm learning, too.

The only downside to the Ortliebs is weight and they'll hold moisture?

Why wouldn't I just put my smaller ziplocs and such inside the Ortliebs?

I guess, I'm not seeing enough justification to not go with Ortliebs. I'm not fit and trim, so weight isn't a huge concern. And, the moisture doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, as I'd just air them out when needed, like I do my motorcycle drybag. IDK, just thinking aloud. And, the Revelate stuff is intriguing, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
It's pretty cool that the huge companies are taking cues from smaller manufacturers...
Agreed.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #31320
ericm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
New HPV speed record: http://www.hptdelft.nl/en/
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: