Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #31321
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,031
Race with a Harley

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of mountain road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the bends have warning signs that say "MAX SPEED 50 KPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. Three corners later, I was on his mudguard. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out-power me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to out-brake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. Though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the mountain and I had preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of Brit iron.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And, some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well. They really make a great bicycle...

-

Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #31322
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,883
Rode the mtn bike in the rain yesterday afternoon. The 4PM mtn bike ride went off closer to 5:30 but we got out. Didya know its WET when it rains? Lent my Gore Tex jacket to a co-worker to get the sand out of his vagina and got him to ride.

Didya know its also getting dark under them trees? Time to break out the lights.

Did 1:35 in the woods yesterday and 3:3X on the road today on my Crosshairs. My legs must not have gotten the memo to show up 'cause I was sucking wind the entire 3+ hrs. 2 buddies I was riding with had to wait for me on many occasions. That usually don't happen.

Oh well. As long as I don't have a day like that next Sun at Applecross, I'll get over it.

Now its time to see why my car is running on 5 out of 6 cylinders.

M
Old 09-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #31323
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Me on the Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 at today's Conquer the Coast 65 miler around Corpus Christi Bay.

Winds were vicious, but because of the reclined aero position, it wasn't all that difficult to pass and stay ahead of all the upright frame bikes.

Not terribly fast up the three major bridges around the bay, but smokin' fast everywhere else.

I was going to add the pop-up tv option but passed in favor of a power meter for the crank

In terms of straight line speed, how does one of those compare to a TT bike?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #31324
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,315
Got out late today, did an hour twenty minutes but I knew the ride would be short so I pushed. I didn't get out until late and it is starting to get chilly now as the sun falls. But it was nice and cool and windy.

I have a miserable creak from the right side of my FSA crank or bottom bracket. This time it's loud and very disturbing. I have given up on this FSA bullshit and I have a Dura Ace full size crank, bottom bracket and chain coming. Now if I can just find a local shop with the correct bottom bracket tools to install it.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #31325
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
In terms of straight line speed, how does one of those compare to a TT bike?
Same rider? He'll *always* be faster on a recumbent like the one pictured due to aerodynamics. That's with the assumption that he has "recumbent" as well as (for Bobby) "real" bicycle muscles.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #31326
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Same rider? He'll *always* be faster on a recumbent like the one pictured due to aerodynamics. That's with the assumption that he has "recumbent" as well as (for Bobby) "real" bicycle muscles.
What about up Mt. Ventoux?

I don't know if you follow racing but they had a time trial up that horrid martian landscape in 1987. It was just about 22 miles from the bottom to the top and they finished on the summit. Winning time was 1:21 or so. That'll put your Stava data into perspective. Gotta be something on Youtube I'll go look. I saw Mt. Ventoux but not when they were racing it. The Tommy Simpson memorial...

No time trial bikes.

Schlug screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 06:13 PM
Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #31327
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
I rode Ventoux from Bedoin a few years back, one hell of a climb. The wind above tree line was unrelenting. There are a few more climbs on my bucket list.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #31328
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

That is amazing. For a while I wished I had my bike as we drove through in our hired Citroen, but when I got to Ventoux I though to myself, "I am so glad I don't have my bike now."

Did you time yourself?
Old 09-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #31329
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
What about up Mt. Ventoux?

I don't know if you follow racing but they had a time trial up that horrid martian landscape in 1987. It was just about 22 miles from the bottom to the top and they finished on the summit. Winning time was 1:21 or so. That'll put your Stava data into perspective. Gotta be something on Youtube I'll go look. I saw Mt. Ventoux but not when they were racing it. The Tommy Simpson memorial...

No time trial bikes.

I interpreted "straight line speed" as flat. Most mountain roads aren't straight but most recumbent riders don't stand a chance uphill. *Most*
Old 09-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #31330
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,990
Got out for 1:32 tonight and felt the onset of autumn for the first time. Light turned to darkness in a hurry between 7:30 and 7:45. The temps dropped and I found myself thinking of long sleeves and toe covers for the first time since April. Road bike season is almost over... unless I can find some really wide winter cycling shoes. Looking forward to hitting the singletrack on a regular basis again.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #31331
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Got a bit of MTBing in today in between football games and domestic tasks. Yesterday's rain banished all the talc-like dust pools in favor of good ol' hero dirt. From a distance, at dusk, in a heavy fog, even I look like I know what I'm doing on that stuff. Good times.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #31332
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,245
Quote:
I interpreted "straight line speed" as flat. Most mountain roads aren't straight but most recumbent riders don't stand a chance uphill. *Most*
I rode a friend's recumbent (the heavy three wheeled variety), and it was hell going up hill. But from the weights of some of these new recumbents (21 lbs?), their disadvantage on climbs doesn't look all that great. Weren't there even some recumbents in the 17 lb range? On our mostly flat terrain, you'd kick ass on one of these.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #31333
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle.

~Elizabeth West, Hovel in the Hills
Agreed.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #31334
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
.... But from the weights of some of these new recumbents (21 lbs?), their disadvantage on climbs doesn't look all that great. Weren't there even some recumbents in the 17 lb range? On our mostly flat terrain, you'd kick ass on one of these.
I use different muscles and have different leverage than an diamond-frame rider - some recumbent riders have adapted better than others at climbing and I guess I'm not of them. My weight is a factor. Make me 150 lbs on a 21 lb recumbent and I'll be faster.

Oh, 19 lbs or so seems to be the light weight I've seen claimed but that because , I suspect, no one has really made a balls-out attempt to achieve the lightest-weight possible since they're no real advantage due to the UCI banning them in the 30's.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #31335
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
I use different muscles and have different leverage than an diamond-frame rider
That's one of the reasons why riders on recumbents can't climb as fast as regular bikes.
But even worse is that the rider can't stand on climbs. That's a serious disadvantage.

Quote:
Oh, 19 lbs or so seems to be the light weight I've seen claimed but that because , I suspect, no one has really made a balls-out attempt to achieve the lightest-weight possible since they're no real advantage due to the UCI banning them in the 30's.
Light weight is only an advantage for climbing, and since bents are poor at climbing people who want to go fast up hill won't be interested in them.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: