Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #31396
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,755
I rode tonight! Wheeeee!

Just a simple commute home, but it's been over a week. I managed to beat my old time up the damn hill that separates me from work by 4sec. Probably because I wasn't wearing my backpack or carrying a water bottle. Yay for no backpack. Boo for no water.

Back to work tomorrow via the pedal bike, depending on how much I enjoy my purchases due to LA Beer Week...

Feeling 'off', I'll take the moto.

Hangover = Pedal harder, bitch! I guess I like to punish myself.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #31397
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,098
HAD two. Sold/traded em both.

Crap. Well it was worth a try.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #31398
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
This is my 2010 Norco CRR1, a decent bike and I've done a lot of miles on it, but originally when the ISP was cut down it was cut just a little bit too short.

Eventually I had the ISP up so high to get a proper fit that I cracked the tube, which sucked. Did a bunch of looking around for a longer topper, no luck. Read some posts on different sites about cutting down the ISP and putting in a traditional seat post and clamp set up. Not a tonne of info on pulling that off so it was looking like an end game for the frame.

Picked up my buddies Ridley race rig for a hell of a deal, this years and a traditional seat post to boot!!

Put the Quark on there and I'm off to the races (literally)

So with nothing to lose I figured what the hell, lets give the ISP conversion thing a go.

Cut down the frame post below the crack and then cut a slit in the back. Bought a seat post that fits exactly into the frame plus a clamp.

And done, works like a charm. There's lots of post within the frame so it's nice an solid.

Now I have a spare rig:

I'm going to keep a close eye on the slot that I cut in the post for cracks, but I think it's pretty solid.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #31399
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
This is my 2010 Norco CRR1, a decent bike and I've done a lot of miles on it, but originally when the ISP was cut down it was cut just a little bit too short.

I'm going to keep a close eye on the slot that I cut in the post for cracks, but I think it's pretty solid.
Drill a round hole at the bottom of your slot, diameter 2X the width of the slot. If you haven't already.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #31400
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,245
Some pictures of the local residents at one of my favorite mountain bike trails:

A four foot Cotton Mouth viper, one of the deadliest snakes in North America:

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #31401
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,306
gators are cool but that snake view me the heebiies. Thankfully none like that up here
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #31402
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbastid View Post
gators are cool but that snake view me the heebiies. Thankfully none like that up here
We've got four of them. Plus a Coral snake.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #31403
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Drill a round hole at the bottom of your slot, diameter 2X the width of the slot. If you haven't already.

Good call, thanks. Did already.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #31404
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Rolling stops are what we usually do. Unless of course I'm trying for a KOM on Strava; then I just blow through every stop sign.

ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #31405
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,137
I need some cold weather gear for mountain biking. I'm mostly concerned with my upper body and keeping sweat at bay, especially since I wear a hydration pack. Maybe 50F on down to below freezing. I'm in Indiana and the rides are usually 10-20 miles, sometimes more. In the past I tended to not ride when it's very cold because I end up sweating then freeze. I'd like to mountain bike as much as I can all winter and not be miserable which is going to require dressing appropriately.

It seems like a layered approach would give me the most versatility. There seem to be so many options though with different weight base layers/materials, wind blocker base layers, windblocker jackets, different weight fleece midlayers, shells, etc. Vests. I think there are even baselayers with mesh or more breathable backs(maybe good for wearing a hydration pack?)?

What do you all wear and what is a good approach? School a n00b!
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #31406
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I need some cold weather gear for mountain biking. I'm mostly concerned with my upper body and keeping sweat at bay, especially since I wear a hydration pack. Maybe 50F on down to below freezing. I'm in Indiana and the rides are usually 10-20 miles, sometimes more. In the past I tended to not ride when it's very cold because I end up sweating then freeze. I'd like to mountain bike as much as I can all winter and not be miserable which is going to require dressing appropriately.

It seems like a layered approach would give me the most versatility. There seem to be so many options though with different weight base layers/materials, wind blocker base layers, windblocker jackets, different weight fleece midlayers, shells, etc. Vests. I think there are even baselayers with mesh or more breathable backs(maybe good for wearing a hydration pack?)?

What do you all wear and what is a good approach? School a n00b!
In winter months I wear a thin thermal Underarmour base layer that wicks sweat away from the skin to a mid-layer where that sweat can evaporate. I also wear a windblocking layer over both of those to keep from cooling the sweat and making my core temp drop. eVent fabric is an excellent outer layering tool to evacuate sweat vapor but the price of entry can be steep. It is improved over Gore-Tex though.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #31407
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
In winter months I wear a thin thermal Underarmour base layer that wicks sweat away from the skin to a mid-layer where that sweat can evaporate. I also wear a windblocking layer over both of those to keep from cooling the sweat and making my core temp drop. eVent fabric is an excellent outer layering tool to evacuate sweat vapor but the price of entry can be steep. It is improved over Gore-Tex though.
Thanks! What type of mid-layer do you use? Fleece?
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #31408
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Thanks! What type of mid-layer do you use? Fleece?
All depends on how cold outside. Fall into late November is just usually a long-sleeved jersey. From Dec-Feb I'll supplement that with a merino wool or fleece layer. I also use a merino wool BUFF over my face and ears.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #31409
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,315
Everytime I see a bike with an integrated seat mast I shake my head. I know they are lighter and can be more aero but I'd just as soon have a fully adjustable seat pin.

Nice work on the repair, though.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #31410
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Everytime I see a bike with an integrated seat mast I shake my head. I know they are lighter and can be more aero but I'd just as soon have a fully adjustable seat pin.

Nice work on the repair, though.

Yup, knowing what I know now I wouldn't buy one again. Even just for resale reasons.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: