User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #31411
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,976
Rolled into the driveway in a great mood after knocking out 40 miles at a 19mph avg this afternoon. It was a solo ride with no stops or rest breaks. Opened up the phone and there was a message from Strava saying, "Uh oh, James the StickFigureCat1Racer just stole your KOM!". However, I shattered another segment and grabbed the KOM on that one. I could care less really because what I'm really proud of is the fact that I passed a milestone today... 634 miles ridden this month so far. I don't think I've ever ridden more than 455 in one month, even when I raced 20 years (and 10-15lbs) ago.

"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad

fullmonte screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 02:22 PM
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #31412
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,561
Well done Fullmonte. I've not ridden any of my bikes since the 14th.

Coach said to leave them in the garage for a month and go find something else to occupy my fitness time. I picked running.

...my legs hurt like they've never been used before!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #31413
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
Put in a good 30 miles today, very nice outside, 70's and breezy with 1000 squirrels and chipmunks out. I saw more cyclists out today than I have seen in quite a while-- maybe they're trying to get some miles in.

The FSA crank sounds like a pasta machine now. Tic tic TICK - tic tic TICK- tic tic TICK on every revolution.

Chainset install scheduled for tomorrow if I get everything else done. Sounds bad-- like cups loose in the bottom bracket shell.

Are we still cutting chains so that when in the big front ring and smallest cog the rear derailleur is at 90 degrees to the ground or is there something new to know with 10 speed?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #31414
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
I'd been wanting to get some nice big panniers for shopping/hopefully some bike camping. There's a guy who who has some nice "classic" styled panniers made here in Iowa that are nice, but not very big. I'm thinking Ortlieb now... Anybody have experience with those?

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #31415
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I'd been wanting to get some nice big panniers for shopping/hopefully some bike camping. There's a guy who who has some nice "classic" styled panniers made here in Iowa that are nice, but not very big. I'm thinking Ortlieb now... Anybody have experience with those?
ortlieb is supposed to be some decent stuff but kinda pricey.

Axiom has some nice waterproof shopping bag/panniers, about half the price of the Ortleib stuff
http://thebikesmiths.com/store/produ...0d11314396873/
Old 09-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #31416
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I need some cold weather gear for mountain biking. I'm mostly concerned with my upper body and keeping sweat at bay, especially since I wear a hydration pack. Maybe 50F on down to below freezing. I'm in Indiana and the rides are usually 10-20 miles, sometimes more. In the past I tended to not ride when it's very cold because I end up sweating then freeze. I'd like to mountain bike as much as I can all winter and not be miserable which is going to require dressing appropriately.

It seems like a layered approach would give me the most versatility. There seem to be so many options though with different weight base layers/materials, wind blocker base layers, windblocker jackets, different weight fleece midlayers, shells, etc. Vests. I think there are even baselayers with mesh or more breathable backs(maybe good for wearing a hydration pack?)?

What do you all wear and what is a good approach? School a n00b!
I have more cold weather kit than anything else.
Knickers and long sleeve jerseys for 50's-60's
I add a wind proof base layer to that in the cooler temps, sleeve-less then long-sleeved.
Below around 50 I switch to tights and a heavy weight wind resistant jersey with a base layer, and for freezing and below either multiple under layers or a wind breaker jacket on the outside.
I hate jackets that flap in the wind though so I avoid those and use Craft base layers with the wind panels, with maybe a fleece jersey under the heavy wind resistant jersey. A water-proof outer layer usually isn't a requirement.

Gore has some looking nice heavy wind proof jersey/jackets.
My heavy wind resistant jersy is a Castelli that I got from Sierra Trading post, but I've not seen the same one in any of the regular stock shops.
I mix different combinations of all this stuff depending on my mood or what the weather is like that day (windy or not, sunny or not, etc).

You may want to consider cross country ski gear as an alternative to some of the bike specific stuff. It's sometimes cheaper.
Also, all my bottoms are bibs, which gives you an extra layer in front, but standard shorts under tights can work well too.

The Camelback insulated bottles are nice for winter, helps keep the water from freezing.

I go out year-round when the roads are clear, but mid-winter that usually isn't the case, so on a practical basis I'm not often out in the teens and low twenties.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #31417
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
ortlieb is supposed to be some decent stuff but kinda pricey.

Axiom has some nice waterproof shopping bag/panniers, about half the price of the Ortleib stuff
http://thebikesmiths.com/store/produ...0d11314396873/
Thanks - started reading on Axiom and came to read on Lone Peak. Made in the USA, expensive, but apparently built to last. I'm young, I don't mind spending more to get the best if it will last forever

Old 09-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #31418
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
I have lone peak and no complaints
Probably going to get a rack top pack
pretty soon
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #31419
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Sierra tradingpost has mountainsmith
Panniers for 80$ for a pair
Looked pretty large
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #31420
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I need some cold weather gear for mountain biking.
The good thing is MTB-ing doesn't require as much versus road riding. Jay Petervary uses MontBell. I have no experience with their stuff. But, for a guy who has accomplished what he has and initially bought all his own gear, I think that speaks volumes. He has a blog here. There are quite a few videos on YT, too.

Quote:
The Touring Store has a great selection and customer service. Have a look around. Ortlieb is really nice stuff and will be what I purchase.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #31421
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

Coach said to leave them in the garage for a month and go find something else to occupy my fitness time. I picked running.

Go hashing. All the running PLUS more beer!

Buddy is on his way over to do a CX workout. Tabata intervals, then some 5min at race pace with 30sec/30sec off then ride over to the other park and do a set of run-ups.

AFA winter: layers. Several thin ones work better than one thick one. I've migrated most of my base and mid- layers over to merino over the last few years. For when its really cold, I'm a fan of Gore Bike Wear outerwear. I wore my Phantom jacket thru a 2.5ish hour snowy/sleety ride last winter and came back dry underneath. Coldest I started a ride last winter was 19deg. I was comfy except the bridge of my nose froze till I got warmed up.

M
Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #31422
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The Touring Store has a great selection and customer service. Have a look around. Ortlieb is really nice stuff and will be what I purchase.
I just emailed Wayne there. I'm going back and forth between Ortlieb and Lone Peak. I did a little more reading and some people say you want waterproof, some people say you don't, honestly I can see it both ways but I definitely lean towards waterproof.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #31423
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post

Are we still cutting chains so that when in the big front ring and smallest cog the rear derailleur is at 90 degrees to the ground or is there something new to know with 10 speed?
What I have been doing - run your chain around big chainring up front and largest cog in the rear ( not threading through rear derailleur) count another two links and cut there.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #31424
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

Funny I was about to switch back to cycling from running
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #31425
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
I just emailed Wayne there. I'm going back and forth between Ortlieb and Lone Peak. I did a little more reading and some people say you want waterproof, some people say you don't, honestly I can see it both ways but I definitely lean towards waterproof.
Well, I don't know anyone who likes wet stuff, especially their sleeping bag.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: