Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 321 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #31441
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
I've got canvas bags with a light water proofing. On a tour a few years ago with some friends a heavy downpour got us soaked. My gear barely got wet in the bags, but considering we weren't riding nekkid, at some point wet clothing had to get packed away. a couple days later I was the only one with dry gear because of my bags.
Cool. That makes sense.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #31442
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
clearly we have different ideas of what's "relevant"; i personally have no interest in most anything you mentioned, and didn't see anything that really had any possible bearing on the subject until your last line mentioning neck issues.

(different strokes, clearly; i'm long past having any interest in doing events where i'm riding with only 3 hours sleep, and i'm guessing you don't spend nearly as much time on the road as traffic or on and off trains, or play in areas where your basic short 1.5 hour Fun Ride includes 2000' of climbing and possible dirt detours...)

if riding a 'bent is the only option you've got to keep you riding due to neck issues, that's great... but that doesn't make a 'bent "better", or necessarily the answer for anyone else.
True that but I don't think I ever said they were better or the answer for anyone else. In fact, I think I've been pretty balanced in my comments about what they can and can't do i.e faster on the flats and slower on the hills for most riders.

FWIW, not everyone rides a recumbent due to issues like mine. Some actually elect to ride one. Can you imagine? The horror...the horror.

I've done all the items on your list at least once - i.e the 2000' of climbing, riding dirt roads (only once thought - about 10 miles, in the dark, on an event ) and my current recumbent has even see the inside of a train in SoCal. Imagine that. Not many trains in Phoenix though.

Like anything else, in the right hands, a recumbent is a formidable bicycle. A friend of mine finished the 2011 Dirty Kanza on a recumbent - good enough for 10th overall and first in the 50 year old age group. He has no health issues though and can ride anything he wants but I'm the first to admit, he's an animal - he's been racing bikes almost all of his life. He's probably the second best male recumbent rider in the US so clearly, he's outside of the stereotypical image of a recumbent rider.

Be safe on your rides and have fun!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:12 AM   #31443
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
He's probably the second best male recumbent rider in the US
You must read that in your best Napoleon Dynamite voice in order to get the full effect.

I admit I also have 0 interest in recumbents aside from allowing people with special needs to ride a bicycle and I also have 0 interest in ultra marathon events unless it involves racing through the Ardennes and climbing La Redoute.

But, you know, I have no trouble owning up to my snobbiness or my hairy legs.

-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #31444
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,282
Quote:
In fact, I think I've been pretty balanced in my comments
^^^ 100% true!

The one common trait I've noticed in all accomplished cyclists I've met is humility. Why? Because they have nothing to prove to I or anyone else, only to themselves. I'm a huge Jay Petervary fan, as I admire his accomplishments and character. He's probably the most humble of them all. I'd lump you into that same group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
But, you know, I have no trouble owning up to my snobbiness or my hairy legs.

You match? Definite snob!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #31445
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

I took a second to remove a bit of lint from my bibs and clean a scuff from the toe of my shoe as well.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #31446
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:

FWIW, not everyone rides a recumbent due to issues like mine. Some actually elect to ride one. Can you imagine? The horror...the horror.
Yeah, I'm one of those weirdos. But I get all of the 12-year old boys telling me I have a cool bike!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #31447
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
I think the best was about a week ago
when a guy in a lowrider passed and said
cool bike.
i ride the same area on both a " real bike " and
on a bent, the bent gets noticed much more
and its always a positive reaction.
I ride the bent because its more enjoyable
and in the area i ride the " real bike " is always
about the same avg.mph
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #31448
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
I think the best was about a week ago
when a guy in a lowrider passed and said
cool bike.
i ride the same area on both a " real bike " and
on a bent, the bent gets noticed much more
and its always a positive reaction.
I ride the bent because its more enjoyable
and in the area i ride the " real bike " is always
about the same avg.mph
Well, the reactions said out loud are positive.

Ride a lot, ride a lot. Just ride.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #31449
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

You match? Definite snob!

I don't care who you are - that's pretty darn funny.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #31450
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
You must read that in your best Napoleon Dynamite voice in order to get the full effect.
Well, being second best isn't a bad thing. I was considering that he was only about 7 miles behind No 1 in the Sebring 24-hour event. There was a group of recumbents, drafting, who exceeded 500 miles. No 1 did 523 miles, No 2 did 516.

No 2's wife also did 516 miles but I'd rank her behind Maria Parker who did 474 miles non-drafting in the same event.

I don't care what you ride - anything over 400 miles is pretty serious riding. 500+ is hard to fathom even under the best conditions.

To put that in perspective, lots of riders, DF and recumbent, have done 250 miles in a day. The first day of nearly every 400-km, 600-km and 1200-km brevet is right at 250-miles in the first "day".

I say "day" because most are done with 400-km in 18 hour or so. The challenge as you transition from 600-km to 1200-km is essentially riding three double-centuries back-to-back-to-back followed by a 150 day to finish the event. Being physically prepared is one thing but the bigger challenge is psychological.

I never saw the movie you referenced but I suppose it one thing to sit behind a computer and "talk" versus going out riding.

From what I've observed, most of the people in this thread seem to have a pretty good balance and I appreciate the stories, the experiences and the expertise that's demonstrated here from riders like yourself, Docnut, Gummee, Rouch, Yeti, etc, etc, etc.

I don't even hold it against any of you guys just because you don't ride a recumbent.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #31451
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Had good ride up to the old fire lookout atop South Fork Mountain this morning. A CX bike is my normal choice for this ride, but my buddy's Psychlo X is in pieces right now so we took the MTBs. A suspension fork and fat tires make the descent a lot less harrowing, too.

It's a long way to the top, but the view is worth it. (This is my best side, BTW. )

Old 09-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #31452
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post

Man - that's beautiful country!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #31453
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Had good ride up to the old fire lookout atop South Fork Mountain this morning. A CX bike is my normal choice for this ride, but my buddy's Psychlo X is in pieces right now so we took the MTBs. A suspension fork and fat tires make the descent a lot less harrowing, too.

It's a long way to the top, but the view is worth it. (This is my best side, BTW. )
Nice ride, nearly 4,000 feet of climbing and a nice payoff.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #31454
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Put in another 28 against my better judgement. Bottom bracket creaking, snapping and popping now. FSA... Fucking Shyte Accessories.

About half way I thought I should find a shortcut back to the truck or risk walking back with a broken machine. But I did the loop anyway.

I have everything I need to make the Dura-Ace swap aside from the $2.50 plastic tool that you use on the left side Dura Ace crankarm to set the preload.

In other news, for the first time in my adult life I threw the chain while going from big ring to small ring. How embarrassing. And I couldn't even trick the shitey bastard back on by massaging the FD while rolling. I had to stop and coax it back on.

The ignominy.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #31455
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,088
Did the MS charity ride to the Jersey Shore today. Me and 8,000 other riders.

80 miles and a total of 1,015 feet of vertical. See, we've got hills.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: