Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #31486
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've spent many a 3+ hr ride on one. They WILL make you MUCH faster/fitter than riding outside.
I always do a short ride just to cool down after an hour on the trainer. It's strange how the bike feels as if it's pedaling itself. On the Computrainer, there is no coasting; you're always fighting against resistance, and if you try to rest by slowing down or switching to a lower gear, the computer senses it and automatically increases the resistance.

Quote:
...but they're deadly boring. Even in a group.
Finding ways to distract yourself is the key. I much prefer interval training to the grueling hour long climb like we did last week, because it allows you to break up the session into small portions, which seems to make the time go a lot faster.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #31487
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Not something you expect to see on a mtb trail...

...unless you live in Florida.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #31488
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You can always tell who rides lots of spin classes. They bounce up and down when sprinting or climbing.

M
Ahh yes, the red headed jiggle chic who is always doing 140 rpm in the front row. Hoping for a drier winter than normal so I can put off seeing that in the mornings.

Showed up for the shop ride Sunday and rode with the fast guys. The A group acted like it was a recovery ride for the first 15 miles. The second time the only fast guy there jumped, I went after him. We dropped the group for about 6 miles. He left me on a climb and stayed 50-100 yards ahead until we were 2 miles from the parking lot. The group caught me and I pulled them until my turnoff,since I rode from the house. We passed the fast guy and he appeared out of gas. They rode 27 and I did 37 miles. That's the first time the A group hasn't dropped me.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #31489
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Well, I got my ass handed to me today. Buddy of mine (who I haven't seen in 7 months) called and wanted to go riding I said sure.That was my first mistake. You see this guy very rarly rides on any kind of regular basis.

We start off and we're chatting, I ask if he's been riding much, expecting to hear no not really. But what he said was oh yea, I've been riding 150-200 miles a week since Febuary . Houston we have a problem.

Every hill he's zipping up,a few in the big ring. He kept zig zaging further and futher from home, I finally said we need to head home,If we go any futher away ,I'm not gonna make it home. Deep in my own little pain cave.

Came home and took a 2 hr nap. Stick me with a fork,I'm done. I feel stonger already, It didn't kill me.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #31490
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
So the weather guessers were saying 'PM rain.' To which I said phbbbbbbt! It ain't gonna rain!

...but I took along the Gore Tex anyway. For 'insurance.' So the gravel roads are moist Lots of traction. No dust! 10min before we get back where we started, its starts to rain slightly heavier than the occasional sprinkles we'd been riding thru.

Good thing I brought 'insurance!'

We were rolling up to CX practice and I was mentally taking bets on how many people were gonna be there. My bet was 1 and he had just come back from a ride and was leaving.

Turns out there were 8 idiots (I mean athletes ) riding around the CX course in the rain.

I'd done some tempo work on the gravel roads, so my legs were pretty well toast by the time we got to CX practice. Instead of bringing the eye of the tiger, I brought the eye of the tabby.

Coupla 4-lap races that I bailed out of and then I got goat roped into riding a couple of relay races. Since I'd been dragging tail, I got paired up with the hyper-competitive Cat 1 in the crowd. While it was fun, I was taking things a lot less seriously than he was.

Did a 4-laps-per-person relay on the 'med. course.' That wasn't too bad. Then we did a ride the med. lap, run the short course, ride the med lap relay. I did all right except my heart wasn't really in it. Managed some motivation for the last riding lap and 'we' came in a very close second.

I spent most of the day under one wheelwell or another on the Bank Vault. All 4 shocks replaced. Front 2 rotors and pads replaced. All I need to do now are the back rotors and pads. My back is sore. My arms are sore. Surprisingly enough, my legs wanted to work today (till CX practice that is!) and I felt good on the gravel ride.

M
Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #31491
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Hey guys. what;s a 1st gen Fargo worth. fast ideas please
Not exactly a fast response.....
I picked up a 1st gen frame set last spring for $300 in really good shape. Did not include anything but the seatpost clamp.

I LOVE IT!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #31492
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

just waiting for dinner
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #31493
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,827
Jeez!

I won't complain about the suicidal squirrels anymore.

Quote:

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #31494
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 422
Quote:

Brings home the importance of good bunny hopping technique
Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #31495
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Brings home the importance of good bunny hopping technique
No bunnies around here to hop. The gators ate them all.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #31496
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Jeez!

I won't complain about the suicidal squirrels anymore.
A local rider was grabbed by a gator while riding his mtb through a swampy area. Luckily he was using a set of old fashioned 'cage' pedals, which prevented the gator's teeth from penetrating his foot. A dislocated shoulder (from the fall) and a severely bruised foot were his only injuries.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #31497
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
99% of this morning's commute in was great, the other 1% made me want to kick a puppy.

SV_Dwayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #31498
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
A local rider was grabbed by a gator while riding his mtb through a swampy area. Luckily he was using a set of old fashioned 'cage' pedals, which prevented the gator's teeth from penetrating his foot. A dislocated shoulder (from the fall) and a severely bruised foot were his only injuries.
Quick, send that story to Grant Peterson so he can add it to his list of reasons for not using clipless pedals

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #31499
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
99% of this morning's commute in was great, the other 1% made me want to kick a puppy.
Wow man, you would have had to pick pieces of my saddle out of my sphincter after that!

I'm getting a little commuter burnout today. It's a combination of being sick physically and sick of idiot drivers. Taking the motorcycle today, hoping I feel better tomorrow

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #31500
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
3.5 weeks with no riding, only running. I'm not having withdrawals yet but I will be in Texas next week visiting family and out-of-sight of my bikes for the first time in over a year. Perhaps that whole "absence makes the heart grow fonder" will stir the desire again...
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: