ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #31501
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Mebane, NC
Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Coming up on a road bike tire change soon. Anybody have experience with the Michelin Pro 4 Service Course in 700x25c? I'm impressed by the mileage, handling, and puncture resistance of the Hutchinson Fusions I've been running for 2 years, but having a cushier ride and a larger contact patch at a similar weight would be great.
I've switched over to the Conti GP4000 4 season 700x25c for all my paved duties. Training, racing, et al Combined with the Vittoria Latex tubes and the ride is sublime. I will be going tubeless though for next year so I can see some Hutchinsons most likely in my future.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #31502
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I've switched over to the Conti GP4000 4 season 700x25c for all my paved duties. Training, racing, et al Combined with the Vittoria Latex tubes and the ride is sublime. I will be going tubeless though for next year so I can see some Hutchinsons most likely in my future.
I went Tubeless a year ago, and I'm never going back to tubes! I am using the Hutch Fusion 3's in the 23 size at 80F and 85R, and love the ride and handling. Puncture repairs on the go is awesome!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #31503
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I've switched over to the Conti GP4000 4 season 700x25c for all my paved duties. Training, racing, et al Combined with the Vittoria Latex tubes and the ride is sublime. I will be going tubeless though for next year so I can see some Hutchinsons most likely in my future.
I've got a Grand Prix 4 season,It'll be on as soon as I rip the tread off the Grand Prix that's on the rear now.I went with the 25 also,I think It's give a better ride than 23's. I don't know if it'll be much different than the 24 that's on there now.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #31504
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: live free or die
Oddometer: 471
I've been using the Michelin Pro 4 Service pro's on my clincher wheel set. Slightly less comfortable than my sew-ups, but it's not really a fair comparison because the clincher wheels have deep aero rims and are stiffer than the plain rims on the sew-ups.
Longevity has been good. This is the second or third season on the front, no punctures. Back went on this year, so a little too soon to tell for it.
Traction is fine.
-Just double-checked, mine are 23's, FWIW.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #31505
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..
 
enduro0125's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Orchard Park,NY
Oddometer: 12,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
2X2 Cycles rack? I really want one for my V-Strom. It just irks me having to drive a car to a bike ride.
Been on tour for three weeks with mine.

__________________
AMA 487807A
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #31506
Squelch
Everyday People
 
Squelch's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Daegu, Korea
Oddometer: 1,103
That 2x2 cycle rack looks pretty useful. However, when I was perusing their site I saw this:



WTF?
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #31507
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
That 2x2 cycle rack looks pretty useful. However, when I was perusing their site I saw this:


WTF?
helps you see over those big SUV's in traffic!!



__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

pierce screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 11:41 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #31508
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Had a nice weekend camp-and-ride planned with the wife and now it looks like there's a 60% chance of rain.
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #31509
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer
 
trailer Rails's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Oddometer: 2,190
The C&O towpath is closed as a part of the government shutdown. I am leaving Pittsburgh in a little over a week to pedal to DC. Anyone know if it is barricaded or can I just ride through? I have been planning this trip for nearly a year and am determined not to let a little road block stop us. Any riders in the area of the towpath, please scout it out for me.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #31510
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Mebane, NC
Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
The C&O towpath is closed as a part of the government shutdown. I am leaving Pittsburgh in a little over a week to pedal to DC. Anyone know if it is barricaded or can I just ride through? I have been planning this trip for nearly a year and am determined not to let a little road block stop us. Any riders in the area of the towpath, please scout it out for me.
I would love to do that trail someday. Enjoy and don't let the man hold you back!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #31511
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Coming up on a road bike tire change soon. Anybody have experience with the Michelin Pro 4 Service Course in 700x25c? I'm impressed by the mileage, handling, and puncture resistance of the Hutchinson Fusions I've been running for 2 years, but having a cushier ride and a larger contact patch at a similar weight would be great.
It's been a while, since I've bought new skinny tires. But, I preferred the Hutchinson Top Speed over the Michelin Pro 3 I replaced them with. Maybe, Michelin's newer stuff is more durable, but, the Pro 3 are cut up something terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
The C&O towpath is closed as a part of the government shutdown. I am leaving Pittsburgh in a little over a week to pedal to DC. Anyone know if it is barricaded or can I just ride through? I have been planning this trip for nearly a year and am determined not to let a little road block stop us. Any riders in the area of the towpath, please scout it out for me.
It's not like there's going to be federal agents to arrest you.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #31512
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,427


I'm the guy in black and orange sliding thru the frame at about 26sec

Man! Did that run-up not do me any favors. 2nd lap (3rd lap?) I couldn't get unclipped from my left pedal and aimed at the bottom of the hill at the 180deg sidehill turn. Went straight thru the course tape before I could get unclipped and turned back up the hill!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #31513
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I went Tubeless a year ago, and I'm never going back to tubes! I am using the Hutch Fusion 3's in the 23 size at 80F and 85R, and love the ride and handling. Puncture repairs on the go is awesome!
All of the tire suggestions have been appreciated, until you threw this into the mix. The Fusion 2 Ultras have outlasted any other road tire I've ever tried. Furthermore, no flats in the 2 1/2 years they have been on the bike, with 1960 miles out of the first rear. Previous tires were down to threads at 1400-1500. The original front is still on there with 4207 miles. Now you've got me thinking tubeless, but I'm not sure I'm ready to make that leap just yet. Care to comment on the tubeless puncture repair process? I'm used to just throwing a tube in there when the 29er flats on the trail.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #31514
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
All of the tire suggestions have been appreciated, until you threw this into the mix. The Fusion 2 Ultras have outlasted any other road tire I've ever tried. Furthermore, no flats in the 2 1/2 years they have been on the bike, with 1960 miles out of the first rear. Previous tires were down to threads at 1400-1500. The original front is still on there with 4207 miles. Now you've got me thinking tubeless, but I'm not sure I'm ready to make that leap just yet. Care to comment on the tubeless puncture repair process? I'm used to just throwing a tube in there when the 29er flats on the trail.

I didn't know about road tubeless before I got a new set of Mavic Ksyrium SL's. The inside of the rim has no spoke holes, so I did some research, and found a review of the fusion 3's on the Mavics. I had already purchased a set of clinchers with tubes to go on, but now wanted to try the tubeless. Loved it! I gave the Michelins to my bud for his birthday. I am using 2 oz. of Stan's Sealant in each tire, and it will plug a glass cut or similar in seconds, with very little pressure loss. I'll just feel a little sealant hitting my leg, and keep going. I carry a spare tube, in case I get a bigger cut, but it hasn't happened yet. If you go to the Stan's site, you can get the rim tape to convert regular clinchers. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, etc!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #31515
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I didn't know about road tubeless before I got a new set of Mavic Ksyrium SL's. The inside of the rim has no spoke holes...
silly question, but how do you spoke the rims without spoke holes? do they come with the nipples permanently installed? or are these rims only available as factory wheelsets?
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014