Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #31501
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Coming up on a road bike tire change soon. Anybody have experience with the Michelin Pro 4 Service Course in 700x25c? I'm impressed by the mileage, handling, and puncture resistance of the Hutchinson Fusions I've been running for 2 years, but having a cushier ride and a larger contact patch at a similar weight would be great.
I've switched over to the Conti GP4000 4 season 700x25c for all my paved duties. Training, racing, et al Combined with the Vittoria Latex tubes and the ride is sublime. I will be going tubeless though for next year so I can see some Hutchinsons most likely in my future.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #31502
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I've switched over to the Conti GP4000 4 season 700x25c for all my paved duties. Training, racing, et al Combined with the Vittoria Latex tubes and the ride is sublime. I will be going tubeless though for next year so I can see some Hutchinsons most likely in my future.
I went Tubeless a year ago, and I'm never going back to tubes! I am using the Hutch Fusion 3's in the 23 size at 80F and 85R, and love the ride and handling. Puncture repairs on the go is awesome!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #31503
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I've got a Grand Prix 4 season,It'll be on as soon as I rip the tread off the Grand Prix that's on the rear now.I went with the 25 also,I think It's give a better ride than 23's. I don't know if it'll be much different than the 24 that's on there now.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #31504
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
I've been using the Michelin Pro 4 Service pro's on my clincher wheel set. Slightly less comfortable than my sew-ups, but it's not really a fair comparison because the clincher wheels have deep aero rims and are stiffer than the plain rims on the sew-ups.
Longevity has been good. This is the second or third season on the front, no punctures. Back went on this year, so a little too soon to tell for it.
Traction is fine.
-Just double-checked, mine are 23's, FWIW.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #31505
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
2X2 Cycles rack? I really want one for my V-Strom. It just irks me having to drive a car to a bike ride.
Been on tour for three weeks with mine.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #31506
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
That 2x2 cycle rack looks pretty useful. However, when I was perusing their site I saw this:

WTF?
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #31507
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
That 2x2 cycle rack looks pretty useful. However, when I was perusing their site I saw this:

WTF?
helps you see over those big SUV's in traffic!!

pierce screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 11:41 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #31508
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Had a nice weekend camp-and-ride planned with the wife and now it looks like there's a 60% chance of rain.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #31509
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
The C&O towpath is closed as a part of the government shutdown. I am leaving Pittsburgh in a little over a week to pedal to DC. Anyone know if it is barricaded or can I just ride through? I have been planning this trip for nearly a year and am determined not to let a little road block stop us. Any riders in the area of the towpath, please scout it out for me.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #31510
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
The C&O towpath is closed as a part of the government shutdown. I am leaving Pittsburgh in a little over a week to pedal to DC. Anyone know if it is barricaded or can I just ride through? I have been planning this trip for nearly a year and am determined not to let a little road block stop us. Any riders in the area of the towpath, please scout it out for me.
I would love to do that trail someday. Enjoy and don't let the man hold you back!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #31511
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Coming up on a road bike tire change soon. Anybody have experience with the Michelin Pro 4 Service Course in 700x25c? I'm impressed by the mileage, handling, and puncture resistance of the Hutchinson Fusions I've been running for 2 years, but having a cushier ride and a larger contact patch at a similar weight would be great.
It's been a while, since I've bought new skinny tires. But, I preferred the Hutchinson Top Speed over the Michelin Pro 3 I replaced them with. Maybe, Michelin's newer stuff is more durable, but, the Pro 3 are cut up something terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
It's not like there's going to be federal agents to arrest you.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #31512
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427

I'm the guy in black and orange sliding thru the frame at about 26sec

Man! Did that run-up not do me any favors. 2nd lap (3rd lap?) I couldn't get unclipped from my left pedal and aimed at the bottom of the hill at the 180deg sidehill turn. Went straight thru the course tape before I could get unclipped and turned back up the hill!

M
Old 10-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #31513
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I went Tubeless a year ago, and I'm never going back to tubes! I am using the Hutch Fusion 3's in the 23 size at 80F and 85R, and love the ride and handling. Puncture repairs on the go is awesome!
All of the tire suggestions have been appreciated, until you threw this into the mix. The Fusion 2 Ultras have outlasted any other road tire I've ever tried. Furthermore, no flats in the 2 1/2 years they have been on the bike, with 1960 miles out of the first rear. Previous tires were down to threads at 1400-1500. The original front is still on there with 4207 miles. Now you've got me thinking tubeless, but I'm not sure I'm ready to make that leap just yet. Care to comment on the tubeless puncture repair process? I'm used to just throwing a tube in there when the 29er flats on the trail.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #31514
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
All of the tire suggestions have been appreciated, until you threw this into the mix. The Fusion 2 Ultras have outlasted any other road tire I've ever tried. Furthermore, no flats in the 2 1/2 years they have been on the bike, with 1960 miles out of the first rear. Previous tires were down to threads at 1400-1500. The original front is still on there with 4207 miles. Now you've got me thinking tubeless, but I'm not sure I'm ready to make that leap just yet. Care to comment on the tubeless puncture repair process? I'm used to just throwing a tube in there when the 29er flats on the trail.

I didn't know about road tubeless before I got a new set of Mavic Ksyrium SL's. The inside of the rim has no spoke holes, so I did some research, and found a review of the fusion 3's on the Mavics. I had already purchased a set of clinchers with tubes to go on, but now wanted to try the tubeless. Loved it! I gave the Michelins to my bud for his birthday. I am using 2 oz. of Stan's Sealant in each tire, and it will plug a glass cut or similar in seconds, with very little pressure loss. I'll just feel a little sealant hitting my leg, and keep going. I carry a spare tube, in case I get a bigger cut, but it hasn't happened yet. If you go to the Stan's site, you can get the rim tape to convert regular clinchers. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, etc!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #31515
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I didn't know about road tubeless before I got a new set of Mavic Ksyrium SL's. The inside of the rim has no spoke holes...
silly question, but how do you spoke the rims without spoke holes? do they come with the nipples permanently installed? or are these rims only available as factory wheelsets?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: