Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #31516
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
silly question, but how do you spoke the rims without spoke holes? do they come with the nipples permanently installed? or are these rims only available as factory wheelsets?
Mavic Ksyrium wheels have no spoke holes on the inside(tire side). The nipple screws into the rim. Other brands use a special washer.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #31517
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
silly question, but how do you spoke the rims without spoke holes? do they come with the nipples permanently installed? or are these rims only available as factory wheelsets?

Mavic drills the rims from the ID of the hoops, I guess through one wall, leaving the area where the rim tape usually goes, airtight. Apparently you can buy replacement rims and spokes to (re)build, but mine came built from Mavic.

From Mavic:
Mavic calls it Fore drilling and the irony is that it means a reduction in drilling. Basically there’s a rim box – the outer rim wall and the inner wall where the spoke attaches. Keeping that second wall free of holes dials up stress resistance and according to Mavic engineers will increase rigidity by 20%.
Mavic pioneered that now widely copied approach and they’ve had a decade for refining the process. What’s cool is the spoke insertion removes almost zero rim material. A super-heated probe pierces the rim, only the threading process takes out material. Think arthoscopic surgery, minimally invasive.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #31518
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

It's not like there's going to be federal agents to arrest you.
Yea, kinda what I was thinking, probably gonna be real low on the list of areas to patrol. A trespassing ticket would suck.

I ran into someone at the bike shop who is leaving for the trip in a couple days. I should have gotten his phone number to find out how he made it through.

They went as far as to put straps around the port-a-Jon's so they can't be opened. They also took the handles off of the water pumps.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #31519
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,997
i'm still not picturing this, if the nipple threads into the rim, wouldn't it unthread or thread deeper when you turn the nipple to tighten the spoke? or are the nipples pre-attached to the spokes and just thread into the rim? I guess I'd need to see these nipples to understand how this works.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #31520
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
It's not like there's going to be federal agents to arrest you.
national park LEO's are staying on duty.

apparently through highways in national parks are remaining open (for instance, 190 in Death Valley, and presumably 120 in Yosemite). not sure how thats going to work since they usually charge you park admission even if you're just driving through.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #31521
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
i'm still not picturing this, if the nipple threads into the rim, wouldn't it unthread or thread deeper when you turn the nipple to tighten the spoke? or are the nipples pre-attached to the spokes and just thread into the rim? I guess I'd need to see these nipples to understand how this works.

Click on this link for a pic
http://roguemechanic.bigcartel.com/p...r-spokes-black
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #31522
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
ok, now I understand.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #31523
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,069
So I tore into the FSA chainset and bottom bracket so I could replace it with a Dura Ace chainset and bottom bracket.

The left side bearing is completely fucked. Sounds and feels like gravel. After 1000km with about 200 kms in the rain. What junk. MegaXO my arse. Mega crap.

I appreciate how the Dura Ace chainset uses the left side crankarm to set preload and not some shitey wave washer.

As for weight, the left FSA crank arm felt a little lighter than the Dura Ace crank arm. The drive side FSA felt heavier than the Dura Ace drive side. Not that I weighed them or really care, but I was curious.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #31524
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,436
At least in my case, when your legs feel like crap *more* intervals is not the answer.

So I did a gravel road ride with 2 buddies and then a few starts at CX practice. They were doing a series of 4-lap races that I didn't want to do. Got done with the starts and hung up the wheels while they did a relay race. Was fun watching.

M
Old 10-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #31525
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
The C&O towpath is closed as a part of the government shutdown. I am leaving Pittsburgh in a little over a week to pedal to DC. Anyone know if it is barricaded or can I just ride through? I have been planning this trip for nearly a year and am determined not to let a little road block stop us. Any riders in the area of the towpath, please scout it out for me.
I want to do that next year,Question are there shuttle out fitters, that are cost effective,and reliable?I could ride back from DC,but that would add another 4-5 days to the trip.That's not a bad thing ,My Boss might disagree

Have fun,you should be able to ride anyway,I mean who's gonna stop you rangers are on furlough

I was thinking of going camping on the BRP now that the campgrounds are closed.

And another thought who is gonna give tickets for speeding on the Parkway
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #31526
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:

The Ksyrium's are a factory wheelset a damn good one at that. I've had two sets of elites over the years
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #31527
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,259
No wonder I'm a bit overweight. I'm 1500 miles behind last year's pace. I think I'll go get some ice cream, that'll make me feel better.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #31528
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
I want to do that next year,Question are there shuttle out fitters, that are cost effective,and reliable?I could ride back from DC,but that would add another 4-5 days to the trip.That's not a bad thing ,My Boss might disagree

Have fun,you should be able to ride anyway,I mean who's gonna stop you rangers are on furlough

I was thinking of going camping on the BRP now that the campgrounds are closed.

And another thought who is gonna give tickets for speeding on the Parkway
We are going to rent a car and drive the car back to Pittsburgh. It is cheaper and faster than taking the train back.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #31529
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
LOL You started up near Trenton?
Hey, don't forget the 2 bridges at Ocean City!

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #31530
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,583
Got to use my knock-off Cree light this morning at oh-dark-crap-go-back-to-bed. On high, this thing is insane. I'm glad that I put the beam spreader on it. That really helps to focus the light where I need it and not blind oncoming vehicles.

I wasn't able to find a mounting place for the light that didn't reflect light off of my silver gear cable housing, so that sucked a bit. If I stick with this early morning crew (just a couple friends that want to ride early once a week, not a shop ride or anything), I may try to come up with a better solution. I could always try the helmet mount, I suppose, but damn it. I don't have a gray beard or a mirror on my glasses.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: