ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #31561
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SV_Dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Which bring me to another question. Has anyone had a rear mechanical that always acted up? Hanger is straight(verified with park tool) and cage looks good. It's a Deore. I've had problems with it for some time now. It has a tendency to drop down a gear then back up. I've adjusted it a million times and I've had the LBS either adjust or verify my adjustment. It will get adjusted then not long after it'll start acting up again. I take care not to hit it or anything like that. I've never had this much trouble out of one before. Shifter was checked by the LBS as well. No sign of issues with the cable. I can't think of anything else and it's bothersome because the LBS says it's fine. I'm about ready to replace the damn thing. Aggravating. I have about 2500 miles on it.
Hardtail or full suspension?
Have you verified the cable housing is shifter housing and not brake housing?
End caps on all the housing ends?
__________________
Kicking ass seems to be THE ONLY solution to life's problems. Kicking ass is the first, second and third option. Plan B and C are also kicking ass.


SV_Dwayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #31562
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Shifter was checked by the LBS as well. No sign of issues with the cable. I can't think of anything else and it's bothersome because the LBS says it's fine.
Pull that cable from the derailleur and shifter. Ensure that it's not the issue. Just watching how the derailleur works while shifting is not enough. If there's even the least bit of drag in the cable, the derailleur will not properly index on the cogs. Keep in mind, the shifter provides the indexing points, the derailleur needs to be indexed on the cogs. The only thing in between is the cable.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #31563
Bloodweiser
honestly
 
Bloodweiser's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: way over yonder in the minor key
Oddometer: 2,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
what counts on older bikes far more than the brand is the tubing they are made from, and the component quality. double butted steel frames made of reynolds 531 (or newer) or columbus, or select Tange, Ishiwa, etc tubes, are great riders. a bike like that will probably have decent parts on it, like Shimano 105 or Ultegra, or Campagnolo NR (if its old enough)

try and avoid frames that were meant for 27" wheels as there sa LOT fewer tire choices, and putting 700c rims on a 27" frame is never quite right (not saying it can't be done, case in point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
I'd get a used cross bike.

As for used brands
I like USA made Trek, Cannondale. I like med to high end Giant and Jamis,
Bridgestones are very cool but most of them are getting up there in age now.

Look for decent spec components, Like Shimano 105 or Dura-ace for road bikes and Deore LX, Deore XT and XTR on mtn bikes.

lower end roadbikes that have the included pant guard ring over the big ring is often a good sign that it's cheap bike.

For road bikes, Get 700c wheels not 27"
Just the kind of info I was looking for.

A quick googling revealed my confusion
between a cross bike and road bike.

Tires and slight geometry? Issat it?
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #31564
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Just the kind of info I was looking for.

A quick googling revealed my confusion
between a cross bike and road bike.

Tires and slight geometry? Issat it?
If you're looking at 'cross bikes, usually, eyelets indicate it's more of an all-arounder than race bike. The geometry will be little more stable and the frame a little more forgiving. True race bikes are very stiff, to transfer power and not twist up.

Personally, I only ride a 'cross bike (Specialized Tricross Comp). I sold my skinny-tired bikes. Likewise, my GF primarily rides only her Tricross Expert, but, still occasionally breaks out her road or TT bikes.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #31565
Bloodweiser
honestly
 
Bloodweiser's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: way over yonder in the minor key
Oddometer: 2,628
eyelets? meaning what exactly? Mounts for waterbottles/racks/etc?

I'm thinking a cross bike might be a good idea for a couple reasons;
one being there are a ton of gravel roads in my area.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #31566
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer
 
LoJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: B.G., yo!
Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
eyelets? meaning what exactly? Mounts for waterbottles/racks/etc?

I'm thinking a cross bike might be a good idea for a couple reasons;
one being there are a ton of gravel roads in my area.
Fender/rack eyelets, like on the drop outs. Seat Stay rack mounts are another big giveaway.

I know that road bikes with larger tires are making a small comeback. Raleigh's Port Townsend looks nice with a slightly longer wheel base and head tube angle (compared to cross and modern road):

http://urbanvelo.org/raleigh-port-townsend/

Might be hard to find a used one, but it retails at $900...
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #31567
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,727
So I have platform/SPD pedals on my LHT and I think I've finally come around - that bike is so much more fun with the bike shoes that I'm looking at getting some double-sided SPD pedals (the platform/SPD pedals will probably go on my hybrid).

Anybody have a favorite SPD pedal? For a 260 pound guy on a bike that usually weighs probably 38-40 pounds, weight is not a huge issue but durability is. I see some of them have "cages" on the pedal, do those help? The main thing I want over the platform/SPD pedals is cornering clearance, the only thing I don't like about them is that I am always worried about pedal strike. And no, I don't want Crank Brothers
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #31568
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SV_Dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
So I have platform/SPD pedals on my LHT and I think I've finally come around - that bike is so much more fun with the bike shoes that I'm looking at getting some double-sided SPD pedals (the platform/SPD pedals will probably go on my hybrid).

Anybody have a favorite SPD pedal? For a 260 pound guy on a bike that usually weighs probably 38-40 pounds, weight is not a huge issue but durability is. I see some of them have "cages" on the pedal, do those help? The main thing I want over the platform/SPD pedals is cornering clearance, the only thing I don't like about them is that I am always worried about pedal strike. And no, I don't want Crank Brothers
Shimano M520 is cheap and very durable, or the M540 for a few bucks more (essentially the same internals as the M520, just looks a bit nicer). Can't go wrong with those.
__________________
Kicking ass seems to be THE ONLY solution to life's problems. Kicking ass is the first, second and third option. Plan B and C are also kicking ass.


SV_Dwayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #31569
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
eyelets? meaning what exactly? Mounts for waterbottles/racks/etc?

I'm thinking a cross bike might be a good idea for a couple reasons;
one being there are a ton of gravel roads in my area.
Yep. Eyelets for racks and fenders.

And, you live in a great area for gravel and forestry roads. I've ridden in areas from Cape Vincent, NY to Montpelier, VT. I try to stick to forestry roads, for travel, and try to avoid highways, when I'm up there.

You've not mentioned gearing concerns. I'd highly recommend a compact crank (with a 34T small ring) and a 32T to 36T low-gear cassette. I've climbed Mt Mansfield on 34/27T gearing, but, it was pretty tough. For your area and experience, low gearing will be a huge benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Raleigh's Port Townsend looks nice with a slightly longer wheel base and head tube angle (compared to cross and modern road):

http://urbanvelo.org/raleigh-port-townsend/

Might be hard to find a used one, but it retails at $900...
Agreed. And, it's steel! Though, I've not seen just how much tire will actually fit (claimed 35mm). For me, 38mm measured has proven perfect for dirt and gravel.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #31570
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
Shimano M520 is cheap and very durable, or the M540 for a few bucks more (essentially the same internals as the M520, just looks a bit nicer). Can't go wrong with those.
+1. They are neither light nor trick nor attractive, but they're tough and just plain work.
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #31571
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
+1. They are neither light nor trick nor attractive, but they're tough and just plain work.
Are the guts the same between them? I'd heard that the 540 had better bearings but that could just be hearsay. I figure a set of either of them would be welcome in my parts box though.
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #31572
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Are the guts the same between them? I'd heard that the 540 had better bearings but that could just be hearsay. I figure a set of either of them would be welcome in my parts box though.
I can't speak to the differences, I've only M520s on my MTB and one of my 'cross bikes. I regularly dip them in mud, coat them in dirt and bang them against rocks all with 210 lbs. of yours truly standing on them. Spray 'em off with the hose, put a drop of Tri-Flow on the moving bits and repeat. They have yet to give me any trouble over several years of regular use.
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #31573
Bloodweiser
honestly
 
Bloodweiser's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: way over yonder in the minor key
Oddometer: 2,628
craigslist find



$325

"This is a 54 cm Airborne Thunderbolt in very good cond. Aluminum frame, carbon fork and seat post and a full Ultegra 33 speed transmission. Silver with black lettering. Good wheels with 700 x 23 rubber. Pedals not included. This bike retailed for $2200 originally. It's about 9 years old but kept in very good cond. Wheels and brake levers/shifters have been replaced as has the cassette."

-- I know its not a cross bike.
But its pretty, local, and only like $200 over my budget
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #31574
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 6,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post


$325

"This is a 54 cm Airborne Thunderbolt in very good cond. Aluminum frame, carbon fork and seat post and a full Ultegra 33 speed transmission. Silver with black lettering. Good wheels with 700 x 23 rubber. Pedals not included. This bike retailed for $2200 originally. It's about 9 years old but kept in very good cond. Wheels and brake levers/shifters have been replaced as has the cassette."

-- I know its not a cross bike.
But its pretty, local, and only like $200 over my budget
33 speed Ultegra?

Here, pull the other one.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #31575
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
So I have platform/SPD pedals on my LHT and I think I've finally come around - that bike is so much more fun with the bike shoes that I'm looking at getting some double-sided SPD pedals (the platform/SPD pedals will probably go on my hybrid).

Anybody have a favorite SPD pedal? For a 260 pound guy on a bike that usually weighs probably 38-40 pounds, weight is not a huge issue but durability is. I see some of them have "cages" on the pedal, do those help? The main thing I want over the platform/SPD pedals is cornering clearance, the only thing I don't like about them is that I am always worried about pedal strike. And no, I don't want Crank Brothers
I don't know if you are looking for Shimano specific, but.
I am a big fan of Time.
I have a few sets of these. One of the places I ride has REALLY sticky red mud (clay), and it doesn't even phase them.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...3&category=666
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...2&category=666
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015