ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #31562
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
No you need to do what the video says

DON'T USE A PRESSURE WASHER!!!!! More bearings die a premature death via dirt and water blown past seals.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #31563
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
DON'T USE A PRESSURE WASHER!!!!! More bearings die a premature death via dirt and water blown past seals.

Yea I couldn't believe they were using a pressure washer. I could see a stong stream from hose.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #31564
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,900

Had such a good time railing the new flow trail today... until lap #4, when the rear derailleur snapped right off the bike.

Bent it all to shitThose pesky exposed roots in the runoff area need some trimming.

Got to experience the new prototype Pivot single speed for the ride back to the parking lot.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad

fullmonte screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 01:20 PM
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #31565
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Thanks for all the advice about cadence, etc. I had a two-hour, 30-mile ride in the rain today. I had to go slowly for a little bit because there was a running race along the path and I didn't want to go screaming past people trying to run for time. I finished the ride at the local bike store, and bought a cadence sensor and some chain oil. When I got home I put the bike in the bathtub and washed it. The joy of being a geographical bachelor is that I can bring a muddy bike into the apartment and wash it in the bathtub. I finished by oiling the chain again, and washing all of my gear too. Good times!

I can't wait until the next time I can ride so I can see what kind of cadence I'm keeping when I ride. I tried using the smaller sprocket on some of the very few hills I rode, and it did seem to make it easier. And I tried using a bit lower gear as I rode.
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #31566
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Yea I couldn't believe they were using a pressure washer. I could see a stong stream from hose.
Those bikes get new chains every couple stages. As for the bearings, they are not in service long enough to get anywhere close to worn out. Plus, they have a whole truck load of spares.

For the rest of us, washing our own bikes and riding them until the parts do wear out, and replacing them with stuff we have to actually buy, yes streams of high pressure water directed to the rotating parts isn't a good idea.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #31567
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,997
if you wash a bike in water, you need to really dry it thoroughly before you lube it. when I was a bachelor and an all weather rider, I parked my bike over the floor register in my apartment to 'blow dry' it.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #31568
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
,, z,

I can't wait until the next time I can ride so I can see what kind of cadence I'm keeping when I ride. I tried using the smaller sprocket on some of the very few hills I rode, and it did seem to make it easier. And I tried using a bit lower gear as I rode.
I've got a cadence sensor on only one of my bikes, unfortunately the one that is ridden the least I've found from that bike that my ideal cadence is about 80 rpm. When I'm cruising along, any faster or slower than that doesn't really feel right.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #31569
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,900
Think this will buff out?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #31570
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Think this will buff out?
I bet if you took off those plates, and gently hammered them flat on a anvil, you could make it work again.

but that doesn't look like a particularlly fancy derailleur, so why bother? slap a Alivio or Tiagra or whatever on in its place and move on.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #31571
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I've found from that bike that my ideal cadence is about 80 rpm. When I'm cruising along, any faster or slower than that doesn't really feel right.
Your legs would get use to higher cadence if you keep at it for a while, just feels strange at the beginning
Old 10-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #31572
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,439
Quote:
As often as those bikes get rebuilt, a pressure washer's fine.

IF you're gonna do the same kind of R&R schedule on your bearings, go for it. I've BTDT and a self-serve carwash's hot soapy water does wonders on mtn bike drivetrains. ...but you need to to re-grease all your bearings right afterwards!

Hyattsville CX today. Legs did better. Still not top 10, but I'm not DFL either. I was holding my own at the tail end of the 'lead group.' I'd gain a spot or two and lose a spot or two depending on where in the course we were. I faded somewhat on the second half of the last lap. Lost a spot at the last time over the barriers and lost another at the last 'z turn' before the start/finish. I figure on somewhere near 20th spot out of 62 starters in the Men's Open 3/4. If I could bring myself to get up at un-doGly hours, I could probably podium in the Master's 45+ 3/4 races. ...but I refuse to get up at 0430-0500 on my day off!

I think I've got a torn sidewall that's terminal on my Grifo Seta. Oh well. Time for another $80 tire! If you can't afford to replace it, don't race it. Right?!

M
Old 10-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #31573
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,063
Hey guys. what;s a 1st gen Fargo worth. fast ideas please
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #31574
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 857
Levi Leipheimer's King Ridge GranFondo was yesterday down in Santa Rosa. Two of my riding buddies got hitched during the ride and had Levi officiate. Story here: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...cles/131009712
Old 10-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #31575
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,380
Haven't been riding much lately.
Wife bought me a GoPro.

I think she wants to get rid of me.

Or pin me to this damned computer. Editing video is tedious.

So, I strapped it on the mountain bike and went for a ride.

Bloody hot afternoon here.

Not fast, but it didn't hurt either and I only bled a little. Dinged a knuckle taking that fat bike off the ceiling.

I'm still trying to get a video to store on Smugmug. I burned it to disc to watch on the big screen but it won't play MP4's.

Do we really need eleventy million damned formats?
Not riding the mtb for long, long time and I pull it down puff up the tires and it goes, shifts and boings. Technology.
No firmware updates required.

I'm planning a trip for next end of summer. See if I can hurt myself on my new-to-me KTM 990. Man what a cool bike. I have no idea why I bought the BMW first I could have worn out a couple of these. At least the front tire doesn't get a lot of wear.
If I can ever get a video to work I'll dump a link here. Boring and hot as heck. I had to delete the music since I don't have my own band.

Mr Head screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 05:36 AM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: