ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #31606
inyang
5secs away
 
inyang's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Lagos/Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
...unless you live in Florida.

Brings home the importance of good bunny hopping technique
__________________
'11 - 690R
inyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #31607
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Brings home the importance of good bunny hopping technique
No bunnies around here to hop. The gators ate them all.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #31608
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Jeez!

I won't complain about the suicidal squirrels anymore.
A local rider was grabbed by a gator while riding his mtb through a swampy area. Luckily he was using a set of old fashioned 'cage' pedals, which prevented the gator's teeth from penetrating his foot. A dislocated shoulder (from the fall) and a severely bruised foot were his only injuries.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #31609
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SV_Dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 300
99% of this morning's commute in was great, the other 1% made me want to kick a puppy.

__________________
Kicking ass seems to be THE ONLY solution to life's problems. Kicking ass is the first, second and third option. Plan B and C are also kicking ass.


SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #31610
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
A local rider was grabbed by a gator while riding his mtb through a swampy area. Luckily he was using a set of old fashioned 'cage' pedals, which prevented the gator's teeth from penetrating his foot. A dislocated shoulder (from the fall) and a severely bruised foot were his only injuries.
Quick, send that story to Grant Peterson so he can add it to his list of reasons for not using clipless pedals
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #31611
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
99% of this morning's commute in was great, the other 1% made me want to kick a puppy.
Wow man, you would have had to pick pieces of my saddle out of my sphincter after that!

I'm getting a little commuter burnout today. It's a combination of being sick physically and sick of idiot drivers. Taking the motorcycle today, hoping I feel better tomorrow
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #31612
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,304
3.5 weeks with no riding, only running. I'm not having withdrawals yet but I will be in Texas next week visiting family and out-of-sight of my bikes for the first time in over a year. Perhaps that whole "absence makes the heart grow fonder" will stir the desire again...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #31613
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
3.5 weeks with no riding, only running. I'm not having withdrawals yet but I will be in Texas next week visiting family and out-of-sight of my bikes for the first time in over a year. Perhaps that whole "absence makes the heart grow fonder" will stir the desire again...
How long does your coach want you to stay off the bike. Is it just so you will start afresh in the new season?
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #31614
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Is it just so you will start afresh in the new season?
The answer to that is a resounding YES! As much as ole Ridge was riding this year, he (I'll) needs a break. My break is coming after the last CX race of the season (8Dec) and will be for a few weeks.

While I'm as hardcore as about anyone, 50deg and pouring rain meant I rode the trainer for the first time this 'winter.' Didn't do much other than toodle, but the fact remains I'm at 50% of my trainer usage from last year and its only Oct!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #31615
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SV_Dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Wow man, you would have had to pick pieces of my saddle out of my sphincter after that!

I'm getting a little commuter burnout today. It's a combination of being sick physically and sick of idiot drivers. Taking the motorcycle today, hoping I feel better tomorrow
I've been trying very hard to not let the idiots get to me (mentally and physically). Every so often I switch to the motorcycle, but I end up regretting it on the ride home when I'm sitting in lines of traffic and it takes me longer than it would have on the bike (takes 55 minutes one way on the bike).
__________________
Kicking ass seems to be THE ONLY solution to life's problems. Kicking ass is the first, second and third option. Plan B and C are also kicking ass.


SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #31616
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
I've been trying very hard to not let the idiots get to me (mentally and physically). Every so often I switch to the motorcycle, but I end up regretting it on the ride home when I'm sitting in lines of traffic and it takes me longer than it would have on the bike (takes 55 minutes one way on the bike).
It's no comfort but he did the same to the car next to you. That was too close.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #31617
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,846
Hopped on the scales this morning and saw that I'm down to 170.4 lbs., the least I've ever weighed as an adult. I can still fold just over an inch of skin around my midsection, so there's plenty left to lose. It suggests that getting my weight down to the low 160's without being unhealthy may be feasible, even for a six footer like me. My arms are starting to look a bit scrawny though, so I may hit the gym and resume my upper body workouts. Don't want to end up looking like one of those stick-boy racers.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #31618
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
I've been trying very hard to not let the idiots get to me (mentally and physically). Every so often I switch to the motorcycle, but I end up regretting it on the ride home when I'm sitting in lines of traffic and it takes me longer than it would have on the bike (takes 55 minutes one way on the bike).
Yep, that was one of the leading reasons my little brother left Atlanta. He has no regrets after moving to a small city with much better cycling opportunities (road & MTB).
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #31619
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SV_Dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
It's no comfort but he did the same to the car next to you. That was too close.
Yep. Bet the guy next to me had to change his/her underwear, too.



Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Yep, that was one of the leading reasons my little brother left Atlanta. He has no regrets after moving to a small city with much better cycling opportunities (road & MTB).
We've been thinking of moving for a while now, especially now that we have a 14 month-old daughter and a second one due in April. Saying the schools suck here is an understatement. I had a talk with my boss last week and am being "promoted" (same position since we're a small team inside the larger company, but increased pay and higher position), so we'll have to see what the details of that are, but moving is still a definite option. Where did your brother move to?
__________________
Kicking ass seems to be THE ONLY solution to life's problems. Kicking ass is the first, second and third option. Plan B and C are also kicking ass.


SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #31620
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
How long does your coach want you to stay off the bike. Is it just so you will start afresh in the new season?
I'm certain he'll have me back on the bike after I return. I plan to continue running though since it fits so well into my ridiculous schedule right now. Most likely running during the week and riding on weekends until this semester is over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
99% of this morning's commute in was great, the other 1% made me want to kick a puppy.
Maybe not a puppy... but I'd want a souvenir of that driver's anatomy on my trophy wall.

Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014