Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #31606
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
This is exactly what I was looking for. Figuring the price, I thought it might be Asian made. For Ti, I'm not interested. Thank you.
You are looking at close to a grand in materials alone when talking about a ti bike made here...

Thoughts on where bikes are made and what it means:

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2011/...d-does-it.html
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #31607
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Thoughts on where bikes are made and what it means:

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2011/...d-does-it.html
I've read that several times. I'm just not willing to trust the Aisian "craftsmen" with Ti.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #31608
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've read that several times. I'm just not willing to trust the Aisian "craftsmen" with Ti.
It's a good blog, isn't it? I don't follow it as closely as I'd like.

Sure, understandable to not trust what's made in China. I've known a few people from big bike companies to small that deal with the Asian bike makers. They all say you need to know the factory and keep tabs on them, otherwise they have the good ol' 'merican "git 'er done" attitude.

I know next to nothing about Habanero, but I'm sure if you do some searching you'll find comments here and there about troubles or lack there of. I've heard sketchy things about Airborne from the get go, back in the late ninety's. I'm amazed it's still around. I'd be curious to see a Habanero in person. I've seen ti frames from some of the most respected small shops in the country that kind of scared me. But it's amazing how "poorly" a bike can be made that will last tens of thousands of miles.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #31609
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Quote:
Then don't buy a GT Edge, any Airborne, any LeMond, any... well, you get the idea. Stick to Serotta, Firefly, Indy Fab, et al and expect to pay thru the nose.

The blanket statement that 'Asian manufacturers suck' isn't true any more. The Taiwanese are some of the best with the Chinese catching up in quality. They Chinese aren't there quite yet, but they're working hard. When pretty much ALL the major brands are having bikes made there, there's bound to be a steep learning/experience curve in action.

Cleaned the Fuji (Asian-made carbon) after yesterday's cross race. Man! was that thing filthy!

I'm amazed that I can like a set of tires so well for JRA off-roading but dislike them intensely for racing. Racing Ralphs do real well for me off-road on the CX bike but I really, really don't like em for racing. I'm gonna have to pull em off the wheels they're on and get something else glued on. May just pull the tires off my mud wheels and call the 24mm carbon tubulars 'dual use' mud and slower course wheels.

M
Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #31610
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Do not buy a ti Serotta. They clean the tubes with paint thinner and use leather gloves. Their welds are totally washed out. Don't do it.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #31611
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,309
The Lemonds were Handmade in the USA, I have a steel and 2 friends have the Ti's, I just emailed him, Made in USA.

My C-Dale 6/13 and Tandem mtb, Lemond Poprad, Co-motion Supremo, Trek T1 and XO1 are all USA made. When I ride them, I see that statement and or flag and feel a sense of pride riding them.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #31612
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Actually, there are quite a few Ti manufacturers in the US.
Yep, I know of 4 in Chattanooga.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #31613
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,776
Be careful out there

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #31614
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Then don't buy a GT Edge, any Airborne, any LeMond, any... well, you get the idea. Stick to Serotta, Firefly, Indy Fab, et al and expect to pay thru the nose.

The blanket statement that 'Asian manufacturers suck' isn't true any more.
No blanket statement, just against their Ti. I've seen/read too much on the intricacies of manufacturing Ti frames. Knowing everything I've seen/read/heard on Asian manufacturing, I'm not willing to trust my well-being to them on a Ti frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
My C-Dale 6/13 and Tandem mtb, Lemond Poprad, Co-motion Supremo, Trek T1 and XO1 are all USA made. When I ride them, I see that statement and or flag and feel a sense of pride riding them.
My closest cycling friend rides a 6/13. I drool over it, every time I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Yep, I know of 4 in Chattanooga.
Haha. You know exactly who I'm getting at. I've got Lynskey on the brain. And strangely, just met a guy the other day who knew of me but hadn't been able to track me down. We get to BS-ing about bikes and came upon the subject of our "forever" bike desires. He's jonesing for a Lynskey, too. I know they work deals on multiples. When I get my shit together, I'm thinking of a Retul session with my current ride to get an idea of where I need to be and go from there (a Lynskey Fargo could be a possibility). Also, saw your LBS has become a Retul fitter, as well.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #31615
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
When I get my shit together, I'm thinking of a Retul session with my current ride to get an idea of where I need to be and go from there (a Lynskey Fargo could be a possibility). Also, saw your LBS has become a Retul fitter, as well.
Have you done a Retul session with any of your previous rides? I had both my road and TT bike fitted using the Retul method, but I have serious reservations about recommending the procedure to others. I have of course read glowing testemonials about the miracle of Retul, but my own experiences coupled with my natural skepticism makes me think that either their bikes were very poorly fitted to start with, or that the claimed improvements were more psychological than real.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #31616
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,309
Use the bike fit calculator on wrenchscience.com and see how close your current fit is to that. I was surprised how my bike was only off a few mm here and there, nothing drastic.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #31617
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Use the bike fit calculator on wrenchscience.com and see how close your current fit is to that. I was surprised how my bike was only off a few mm here and there, nothing drastic.
Same with mine, and I constantly adjust my position while riding to reduce fatigue. On my road bike, that means alternating between three different hand positions, and shifting back and forth on the seat. The Retul fitting seems to assume that you only position yourself on the bike one way.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #31618
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 422
Lagos Stroll

Riding in Lagos has mostly been just get on the bike and do a workout, no smelling of flowers or such

0400, dash out, get back before the roads fill up by 0600

Except for rides that head out to the outskirts or so.

Last Sunday, went for a stroll around Lagos Island, Yaba and Bar Beach. Roads clear since most sinners were in church.

Aurelius allowed?
From LagosBicycleStrollOct202013

Shops at BarBeach

Waiting for the post church crowd

More here https://picasaweb.google.com/1020946...rollOct202013#
Old 10-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #31619
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Aurelius allowed?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #31620
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Have you done a Retul session with any of your previous rides? I had both my road and TT bike fitted using the Retul method, but I have serious reservations about recommending the procedure to others. I have of course read glowing testemonials about the miracle of Retul, but my own experiences coupled with my natural skepticism makes me think that either their bikes were very poorly fitted to start with, or that the claimed improvements were more psychological than real.
No, I haven't.

I felt the same way, as you on the Retul, about my "professional" fit from one of the local shops. I've gotten my setup pretty close, but, feel I'm too short in the TT/reach dimension. Also, I wear out one side of my chamois before the other, so I'm "off" somewhere. I figured the Retul would highlight the issue.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: