ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #3151
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700
Delusions, I'm with ya. It's hard for me to pass up a $500 NOS lugged steel frame from the mother land, but those Pedal Force frames could divert my attention pretty quick. Don't fight the urge, why resist? It looks like you have the Gunnar, and the Specialized (correct me if I'm wrong) so it's only natural to have a carbon to complete the hat trick.
IF I were staying in one place, I'd get the PF frame to complement. I'm mobile, so I'm prolly gonna sell the S-Works and just ride the Gunnar for a bit or till I can start riding more'n 1x/week consistently and/or start racing again.

Them PF bikes are for both quality (that I've heard of) and $$.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #3152
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 566
So my neighbor picked up a Madone 5. something or other SL, originally equipped with Ultegra, but thought it was prudent to put DA STI levers, rear der, and crankset?????? The LBS sold him a frame that was too large (there is like 4" of seat post exposed), and put as many spacers that could possibly fit on the steerer tube. The top of the handle bar is about 2" above the top of the saddle. They also added an 80mm almost verticle stem. He calls me and asks to go for a ride so I say sure.

He shows up the next morning and has shaved his legs. The shop didn't set up his cleats, and the poor guy looked like a polio survivor when he rides the bike.

I'm not bagging on him (maybe a little) because he doesn't know any better, but the people who sold him that bike should be beaten. This guy spent over 3k on a bike that is impossible to enjoy. I made some suggestions about fit but he doesn't get it.

Oh well what are you going to do? He stopped riding it after two weeks, but still shaves his legs.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #3153
knary
sunshine and puppies
 
knary's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: portland, or
Oddometer: 29,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700
So my neighbor picked up a Madone 5. something or other SL, originally equipped with Ultegra, but thought it was prudent to put DA STI levers, rear der, and crankset?????? The LBS sold him a frame that was too large (there is like 4" of seat post exposed), and put as many spacers that could possibly fit on the steerer tube. The top of the handle bar is about 2" above the top of the saddle. They also added an 80mm almost verticle stem. He calls me and asks to go for a ride so I say sure.

He shows up the next morning and has shaved his legs. The shop didn't set up his cleats, and the poor guy looked like a polio survivor when he rides the bike.

I'm not bagging on him (maybe a little) because he doesn't know any better, but the people who sold him that bike should be beaten. This guy spent over 3k on a bike that is impossible to enjoy. I made some suggestions about fit but he doesn't get it.

Oh well what are you going to do? He stopped riding it after two weeks, but still shaves his legs.
You have to wonder what the guy was like as a customer.
__________________
Artist, Father, Etc | Oil & Piston

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #3154
achiral
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700
Delusions, I'm with ya. It's hard for me to pass up a $500 NOS lugged steel frame from the mother land, but those Pedal Force frames could divert my attention pretty quick. Don't fight the urge, why resist? It looks like you have the Gunnar, and the Specialized (correct me if I'm wrong) so it's only natural to have a carbon to complete the hat trick.

Lugged. Chrome. Italian. $500.

Must. Not. Call.
achiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:18 PM   #3155
knary
sunshine and puppies
 
knary's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: portland, or
Oddometer: 29,386
jeebus
I hate shopping for cycle computers
__________________
Artist, Father, Etc | Oil & Piston

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #3156
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
jeebus
I hate shopping for cycle computers
+1

The SigmaSport wireless I have is eating batteries like they're going outta style. I'd like to keep the wireless, but I need to find something that don't eat batteries like Rider does donuts.



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:57 AM   #3157
RobZim
No, I'm not me.
 
RobZim's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: The Inn Cognito, Houston, Tx
Oddometer: 3,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
jeebus
I hate shopping for cycle computers

I'm riding with a Garmin 60C attached to the bars. It doesn't do cadence, but does everything else. It's sort of nice having the mapping software on board to snake through the many subdivisions to avoid the high traffic / no shoulder highways.
RobZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:20 AM   #3158
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
+1

The SigmaSport wireless I have is eating batteries like they're going outta style. I'd like to keep the wireless, but I need to find something that don't eat batteries like Rider does donuts.



M

Sigma DTS 1106 no cadence but everything I need, simple/wireless, hasn't needed a new battery since I bought in August.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:20 AM   #3159
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,303
Looking for some motivation this morning. I've got a million things to do since my weekdays are useless besides going to work.

Damp, mid 40's today here. Problem is the only option is Central Park, which is notoriously packed on wknds (cars not allowed on wknds). I love the solitude of riding the park with few people on weeknights, no super competitive riders, not hoards of Italian stroller tourists, people looking the wrong way before they wander into the road.

Catch 22 - wknds only time I have the time to ride, but I'm beginning to hate the park on wknds.


must motivate to get out there soon. Heading out to LI and then NJ later today for a GS seasonal warm up ride...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:02 AM   #3160
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiral
Lugged. Chrome. Italian. $500.

Must. Not. Call.
I couldn't resist & got one last year.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #3161
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Looking for some motivation this morning. I've got a million things to do since my weekdays are useless besides going to work.

Damp, mid 40's today here. Problem is the only option is Central Park, which is notoriously packed on wknds (cars not allowed on wknds). I love the solitude of riding the park with few people on weeknights, no super competitive riders, not hoards of Italian stroller tourists, people looking the wrong way before they wander into the road.

Catch 22 - wknds only time I have the time to ride, but I'm beginning to hate the park on wknds.


must motivate to get out there soon. Heading out to LI and then NJ later today for a GS seasonal warm up ride...
Is CRCA still running club races in the morning, or has the parks department shut that down too. I left NYC in 1990, and the park was a mess after 8am on the weekends back then.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #3162
yater
Beastly Adventurer
 
yater's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
jeebus
I hate shopping for cycle computers
I found the cateye micro wireless for $28 on ebay and bought 4 of them. The one on my bianchi is used almost daily and works great after a year on the original battery.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #3163
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org
 
gambrinus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 6,477
Here's my pick for cyclecomputers:

http://www.bikeworld.com/products/27...ml?ref=froogle

Cheap, does what it needs to do and the "heavy wire" is about 3 times as thick as other units..


RW
__________________
..constructive criticism irritates me. I do not object to being denounced, but I can't abide being school-mastered, especially by men I regard as imbeciles.
-Mencken
gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #3164
knary
sunshine and puppies
 
knary's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: portland, or
Oddometer: 29,386
Any opinions on the importance of cadence reporting in a computer? I use a Cateye Astral 8 and use the cadence feature regularly. It keeps me honest as the season ramps up. But I can't decide if my wife needs it on her bike. On one hand, because she's new to road riding, it would be educational, helping her as it helps me. On the other, she's new to road riding and probably won't be as geeky as I am any time soon (ok, she'll get really really close).
__________________
Artist, Father, Etc | Oil & Piston

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #3165
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org
 
gambrinus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 6,477
Scott, DO NOT get your wife the cadence on her computer. She's new to things.. let her ENJOY the ride without being freaked out about cadence, how many calories she's burning, what her watt output is etc..


RW
__________________
..constructive criticism irritates me. I do not object to being denounced, but I can't abide being school-mastered, especially by men I regard as imbeciles.
-Mencken
gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014