Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #31696
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/4101417809.html

Someone steal your precious KOM??? Trying to impress your lady? Or man? Looking for revenge? No need to fret, Strava monsters is here to help. For a small fee we can reclaim your glory. Who are we you ask??? Group of the finest road and mountain biking legends this town has ever seen. All CAT 1, Road and mountain options available. Email for your free consultation.

How does it work? You will tell us what Segment you would like to have, our professional segment snatchers will go out and bury themselves to claim (or reclaim) your glory!!!!!!!!!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #31697
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,961
^
Nice find.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #31698
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/4101417809.html

Someone steal your precious KOM??? Trying to impress your lady? Or man? Looking for revenge? No need to fret, Strava monsters is here to help. For a small fee we can reclaim your glory. Who are we you ask??? Group of the finest road and mountain biking legends this town has ever seen. All CAT 1, Road and mountain options available. Email for your free consultation.

How does it work? You will tell us what Segment you would like to have, our professional segment snatchers will go out and bury themselves to claim (or reclaim) your glory!!!!!!!!!

quit laughing
they will probably make enough for a new bike

austin powers returns
ya baby shag that KOM
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #31699
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
As for used brands
I like USA made Trek, ...
those would be some seriously old Treks, like my son's TX series frame.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #31700
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
those would be some seriously old Treks, like my son's TX series frame.
Treks' high end frames are still made in the US.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/03/13/...ke-production/
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #31701
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Are the guts the same between them? I'd heard that the 540 had better bearings but that could just be hearsay. I figure a set of either of them would be welcome in my parts box though.
I've read posts by a few people saying the M540 has better races and bearings, but if you look at a parts breakdown diagram and part numbers, there's a ton of overlap, so I think they're pretty close to being the same internally.

The M540s look cleaner because the spindle is open and thin, but one disadvantage with that design is they don't have the usual 15mm spot for a pedal wrench, they only have a 6mm allen wrench spot on the back side of the spindle, which makes it annoying to remove them from the cranks if you need to do so. The upside is that you don't need a special tool like the M520 needs to take the pedal apart to clean and repack the bearings, but heck, I have 6500 miles on mine and they're buttery smooth, so I don't foresee a need to rebuild them anytime soon. When I buy another pair, it will probably be the M520. I have Shimano road pedals on my road bike, but even after years of using them, I'm still annoyed that I can't just step on the pedal and click in, sometimes end up fumbling around if I don't catch the pedal right on the cleat.

SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #31702
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,961
Found this bit of comedy gold on the LBS website. It's a convincing case of why potential customers should buy from them.

http://eastridgebicycles.net/article...m-us-pg103.htm
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #31703
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Some more levity...

A Couples' Ride from Darcy Turenne on Vimeo.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #31704
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Some more levity...

A Couples' Ride from Darcy Turenne on Vimeo.
I watched that with MrsK7... She laughed pretty hard. "Oh...that's me", referring to the guy several times.

Good find.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #31705
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Pittsburgh to DC trip:

It was awesome. Everyone needs to do this some day. The first thing we did was classify this as a vacation, so we would be taking our time and enjoying the trip.
The plan was pittsburgh to connellesville (60mi), to rockwood (43mi), to Cumberland (45mi), to Hancock (60mi), to harpers ferry (63mi), to a friends house in DC (70mi).
We were going to take an off day in Harpers Ferry. We got lucky that the government opened back up that day, so we were able to see the exhibits.
The "lower" milage days enabled us to take our time and explore and take many breaks off of the bike. Starting at about 8-9 am and finishing at 4-5pm.
We stayed at bed and breakfasts every night. This allowed us to pack very light.
I enjoyed the history on the C&O trail. The locks and lock houses are really interesting.
We got really lucky with the weather. We kept just barely missing the rain storms and rolled through with pretty sunny skies. The changing leaves were awesome.

Everything went very smoothly until our last day out of Harpers Ferry. We hit the trail early around 8 am. We had about 70 miles to go, 60 on the trail and another 10 to our friends house in DC. About 10 miles in (60 to go), disaster struck, Sally picked up a stick in her wheel that cleaned her derailleur off of her frame. Not only did the derailleur get trashed. The dropout got ripped apart, there was no place for the rear axle to sit in on the drive side. A few spokes in the rear wheel got bent up, knocking the wheel out of true. Lastly the rear rack was mounted to this part also.

Ok, trying not to freak out or get pissed, because Sally was pretty hysterical at this point. First thing first, remove the trashed derailleur. Had to remove the rear rack. Then I get the rear wheel kinda set into place and held the parts in the paces they used to be. Next I clamped the rear skewer as tightly as possible. The pile of zip ties came out at this point. I zip tied the rear quick release forward in to the frame. Then I had to true the wheel up so that it would pass through the frame. After that, I had to zip tie the rear rack to the frame. Unsure if the wheel was even going to stay in the frame, I then setup the bike in to a single speed in a manageable gear.
I told her that it was fixed but she would have to take it easy on it. No slamming into pot holes, no hard acceleration, and lastly, I had to strap all of her bags to my bike.
So 60 miles left In the day: Sally has a bike that has one gear and the rear wheel is held on by zip ties and I have a bike that weighs 70 or 80 pounds. The first mile was pretty tense. I expected the wheel to come ripping out of the frame at any moment. As the miles ticked off, I got less stressed. The stress would lessen but remained until we crossed mile marker 10 on the C&O, at this point, I knew we were close enough that we could walk and easily find help.
I could not believe it, but the zip ties held up the entire way, 60 miles of trail, bumps, roots and rocks. The chain would skip if she put too much pressure in the pedals but that was manageable.

We are in DC now. Unbelievably, Sally had us rent some cruiser bikes and go do the bike tour with the National Park Rangers today. That was a lot of fun.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #31706
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

We are now looking for a Trek Pilot 2.1 frame in 54cm. Any leads would greatly be appreciated.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #31707
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 363
Eid Holiday Ride: Double Statue

Last week, we had a two day holiday mid week.

What better use of the disruption than a bike trip?

Overnight stay at Uyo, then early start back to PH

Or that was the plan but the weather juju had other ideas.

Thunderstorm from 0410 till 0600.

Made for a cool morning ride

Old 10-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #31708
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 363
Some pics and stories from the trip

Dr. Ferrari
From PHUyoReturnOct2013

Mix and match
From PHUyoReturnOct2013

Tempted to jump in
From PHUyoReturnOct2013

More pics here https://picasaweb.google.com/1020946...ReturnOct2013#
Old 10-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #31709
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

We are finally home. Here is a better look at the broken frame.

Here is the dropout with the zip ties that held the rear rack removed. I can't believe these zip ties held the wheel on the bike.

Here it is with the wheel removed. No fixing that.

Thinking about a specialized tricross or a All City macho man.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #31710
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Pittsburgh to DC trip:

It was awesome. Everyone needs to do this some day. The first thing we did was classify this as a vacation, so we would be taking our time and enjoying the trip.
The plan was pittsburgh to connellesville (60mi), to rockwood (43mi), to Cumberland (45mi), to Hancock (60mi), to harpers ferry (63mi), to a friends house in DC (70mi).
We were going to take an off day in Harpers Ferry. We got lucky that the government opened back up that day, so we were able to see the exhibits.
The "lower" milage days enabled us to take our time and explore and take many breaks off of the bike. Starting at about 8-9 am and finishing at 4-5pm.
We stayed at bed and breakfasts every night. This allowed us to pack very light.
I enjoyed the history on the C&O trail. The locks and lock houses are really interesting.
We got really lucky with the weather. We kept just barely missing the rain storms and rolled through with pretty sunny skies. The changing leaves were awesome. .

Great read. gonna do this ride sometime. Glad you're unhurt.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: