Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #31771
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
I'm gonna have to try that, Never even thought of that.
If you know any leg amputees or you know of an Orthopaedic & Prosthetics shop, the best thing to find is the gel liner that amputees use as a cushion between their residual limb & the prosthesis. Most shops will trim the gel liner to length, & throw out the extra trimming. The gel is specifically engineered to absorb a lot of impact. I used to work in an O&P shop, and used that gel all the time in my builds. Works great, if you can handle the extra bulk beneath the tape. Oftentimes just a pad here or there would help with ulnar nerve pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #31772
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,441
AACX today. Right outside Annapolis.

Masters 45+ 1,2,3,4: this hombre got 7th. Coulda been on the podium if I'd actually warmed up. One of these days...

M
Old 10-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #31773
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
AACX today. Right outside Annapolis.

Masters 45+ 1,2,3,4: this hombre got 7th. Coulda been on the podium if I'd actually warmed up. One of these days...

M
7th great job!
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #31774
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
7th great job!

edited to add: I discovered that Racing Ralph tubulars aren't too bad in grassy races. Least for the rear anyway. Today's tire choice: PDX in the front with the aforementioned Racing Ralph in the rear. Not too many traction issues. Yay. I'm sold on the PDX as an all-round front tire despite its recommendation as a mud tire.

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 05:38 PM
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #31775
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Swapped my M324 pedals over to my Trek hybrid this morning. I'd been riding it to work with the BMX platforms and I was missing my stiff-soled bike shoes. Didn't want to put BMX platforms on the Trucker so I ordered a set of M530 pedals this morning. I though the outer cage might help spread some of the weight of my fat ass out a bit, but I guess we'll see.

Now I'm considering to look for a pair of Shimano MTB shoes a size larger to wear some thicker socks with. Anybody tried this? I'd probably be just looking for last year's model on closeout on ebay...

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #31776
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,620
cold feet? why not use shoe covers or booties with some nice thin wool socks? less expensive and more versatile than another set of shoes,...

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I'm considering to look for a pair of Shimano MTB shoes a size larger to wear some thicker socks with. Anybody tried this? I'd probably be just looking for last year's model on closeout on ebay...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #31777
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
cold feet? why not use shoe covers or booties with some nice thin wool socks? less expensive and more versatile than another set of shoes,...

cheers!
This is a good route. Keeps your shoes clean in the dirt and slush of the winter roads.

I also use gaiters. It covers up the ankles and keeps drafts out. I pretty much never wear over pants, just my jeans and my feet stay warm with the gaiters down to about 15 degrees.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #31778
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,850
I decided to take another crack at the 'Expert level' red trails at Santos on Saturday. I last rode these roughly a year ago and had an especially tough time on one trail in particular. It is arguably the most technical of all the trails out there, but it's a good place to hone your skills because it's not particularly dangerous like the other red trails. If you fall, you're not going to tumble down a hillside and possibly break bones in the process. The last time I rode it, I remember a feeling of intense elation at finally making it through the toughest sections without having to put a foot down, but the uphill climbs through the rock gardens left me in a state of utter exhaustion, to the point where I was gasping for air and actually felt like I was about to vomit.

A year has passed since then. I'm now almost ten pounds lighter, my endurance has increased substantially, and my ability to tackle steep, tricky climbs has gotten better (how much better, remained to be seen).

I was shocked at what I experienced. Not only was I able to pick my way through the nastiest sections with relative ease (despite having forgotten what most of the trail held in store!), I was also able to make it up the trickiest and steepest climbs with hardly a hint of fatigue. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I'm still not entirely sure how to account for it. Certainly my skills couldn't have improved that much, given that I've spent the majority of my time riding fairly unchallenging trails. My endurance and leg strength have undoubtedly improved from my training on my road bike, but it wouldn't be like a night and day difference. The only thing I can think of that might account for it is the substantial weight loss I've experienced. It's not something I'm conciously aware of, but dropping nearly ten pounds of worthless fat has to pay big dividends when powering yourself up and over large rocks and roots. I felt so confident that this wasn't merely a fluke that I rode the same trail a second time. This time, my newly acquired trail knowledge enabled me to go even faster.

I took one of the blue (intermediate) trails back to the parking lot, where the effects of my improved conditioning were plainly evident. This is a section littered with long roots running perpendicular to the trail, creating a long series of stair step formations. Climbing up through all those used to leave me quite winded. This time I just flew up that hill at full power, pedalling so fast that for the first time I actually had to brake in the turns. My wheels bounced over those stair steps so rapidly that it almost felt as if I'd lost contact with the ground at times. It was the most incredible feeling, as if a totally different person was riding my bike.

Now I see why those skinny runts hold all the KOM's at Santos: their light weight enables them propel themselves over obstancles and up hills like they're not even there. If I manage to lose another five pounds and improve my conditioning even more, there's every reason to think that I'll be able to negotiate the red trails as easily as I can ride the blue trails presently, without even having to do any additional skills training.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #31779
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,468
Back in the saddle this season. On a lark I did 20 miles of gravel trail at a 16mph pace. I feel pretty good about that. This pic is from a crossing of the trail & a back road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #31780
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,266
Saturday's ride

Did a "flast" ride on Saturday. "Flast" is a combination of "flat and fast" - 36 miles or so with lots of traffic lights. We skipped the first regroup point to rejoin the lead group after I had a front flat about three miles into the ride.

Once we rejoined them, my buddy and I were able to stay with the lead group which started shredding riders with about 5 miles to go. I saw 29 mph at one point & I think I ended with right at 20 mph average - not bad considering the number of lights encountered. I'll try and post my speed graph later.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #31781
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,842
I have always ridden on the other side of the forest. This is the south entrance.

Much of the singletrack is very smooth and fast.

Sunday closer to home.

Last time Tito, the fish hatchery dog, went with us but bonked out less than a third of the way through. He must have been training.

Does your dog bite?

Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #31782
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The last time I rode it, I remember a feeling of intense elation at finally making it through the toughest sections without having to put a foot down, but the uphill climbs through the rock gardens left me in a state of utter exhaustion, to the point where I was gasping for air and actually felt like I was about to vomit.

A year has passed since then. I'm now almost ten pounds lighter, my endurance has increased substantially, and my ability to tackle steep, tricky climbs has gotten better (how much better, remained to be seen).

I was shocked at what I experienced. Not only was I able to pick my way through the nastiest sections with relative ease (despite having forgotten what most of the trail held in store!), I was also able to make it up the trickiest and steepest climbs with hardly a hint of fatigue.

Now I see why those skinny runts hold all the KOM's at Santos: their light weight enables them propel themselves over obstancles and up hills like they're not even there. If I manage to lose another five pounds and improve my conditioning even more, there's every reason to think that I'll be able to negotiate the red trails as easily as I can ride the blue trails presently, without even having to do any additional skills training.
The weight loss coupled with the increased riding intensity has helped a little, but didn't you spend 10 grand on a Superfly sumpthinorother since then? Those indoor mountain simulator rides probably contributed more than you would imagine.
I'm as rusty as a brown nail on the mtb due to all the road riding this past summer, but I was able to drop my little brother like a bad habit last week on a killer mtb ride in VA last weekend. That has never happened before. Using Strava over the past couple of months to help out with mapping and finding climbs played a part... I think. Somebody here in this thread commented on kbasa's vertical feet climbed back in May or June and I never payed attention to it until then. That post stuck with me. The more you climb the better off you'll be for it. Took me 20 years to finally get this... or rather to want it. I'm a terrible climber who has finally graduated to low average. Leave the climb KOMs to the barbie doll stick figures.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #31783
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
I have always ridden on the other side of the forest. This is the south entrance.

(snip)
Beautiful pictures!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #31784
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Beautiful pictures!
+1

Old 10-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #31785
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
The weight loss coupled with the increased riding intensity has helped a little, but didn't you spend 10 grand on a Superfly sumpthinorother since then? Those indoor mountain simulator rides probably contributed more than you would imagine.
The bike i rode was the same one I rode the last time I was at Santos, and I was nowhere near as fast on it back then. When I said earlier that it was as if a different person was riding my bike, I wasn't exaggerating. The difference really was that dramatic. I'm sure my race training contributed to it, but it hasn't made me that much faster on my road rides, so I wasn't expecting it would make much difference on my mountain bike either. I'm pretty sure that what made the greatest difference was my ten pound weight loss.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: