Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 297 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #31801
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I walked across the street to a dog grooming business and explained my situation. The owner was between dog washings but claimed she couldn't leave, so I started hoofing it home. Half a mile up the road she pulls up next to me in her truck and tells me to put the bike in the back. She wouldn't even take any cash when we pulled into my driveway. And that's what I like about the south.
I'm keeping my mouth shut, on this one.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #31802
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
All you have to do is shift....
I said "during steady pedaling". When you shift to a higher gear, your pedaling cadence drops. Putting more power into each pedal stroke gets your cadence back to where it was, but that method doesn't allow you to select the amount of resistance: it will be whatever the design perameters of the trainer allows. You won't, for example, be able to set the resistance to 240 Watts at 90 rpm. The only trainers which provide that degree of control are those equipped with a mechanical device to select the amount of resistance, or by using a computer.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #31803
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I said "during steady pedaling". When you shift to a higher gear, your pedaling cadence drops. Putting more power into each pedal stroke gets your cadence back to where it was, but that method doesn't allow you to select the amount of resistance: it will be whatever the design perameters of the trainer allows. You won't, for example, be able to set the resistance to 240 Watts at 90 rpm. The only trainers which provide that degree of control are those equipped with a mechanical device to select the amount of resistance, or by using a computer.
Ah, I see. You are looking for alot more than I was.....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #31804
mud
I just wander.....

Does anyone have any suggestions for shoe covers for riding around freezing. Not quite cold enough for neoprene socks.....
Old 10-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #31805
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for shoe covers for riding around freezing. Not quite cold enough for neoprene socks.....
I really like my Craft booties. They have a zippered upper and a Velcro sole strap, so it's easy to get them on/off. Also, they allow the sole of your shoe to be used, as opposed to the fully concealed booties like the PI ones I had. I busted my ass more than once in those.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #31806
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,401
Quote:
I stick plastic bags between two pairs of socks, but i'm cheap & have no dignity.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #31807
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,050
Last week, while riding to work, my cyclometer went crazy and was registering speeds all over the place, going from 35 mph, to 12 mph, to 1.5 mph to 20 mph and so on. I stopped to try to fix it, but after some futzing it just stopped registering speed completely. So on the weekend I futzed with it more and got it to work properly.

The punchline: The cyclometer now shows my "Max speed" as 65 mph. So TAKE THAT, those of you that think a recumbent can't go fast!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #31808
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Not helpful, but I've all but decided that I'm just going to wear my waterproof hiking bootshoes (they look like boots but feel more like shoes ). I am really going to miss the power of my SPD pedals and shoes but I found out today how slippery that stiff riding shoe sole can be.

Should have my second studded tire showing up by the end of the week. Thankfully it looks like I'm still a ways away from needing them.

While I'm thinking about it, does anybody know if the studded tires usually come with a more cold-specific compound like snow tires on cars do?

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #31809
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
While I'm thinking about it, does anybody know if the studded tires usually come with a more cold-specific compound like snow tires on cars do?
Nokian do, I don't know about the rest.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #31810
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
Not helpful, but I've all but decided that I'm just going to wear my waterproof hiking bootshoes (they look like boots but feel more like shoes ). I am really going to miss the power of my SPD pedals and shoes but I found out today how slippery that stiff riding shoe sole can be.
walking/hiking shoes do very nicely when paired with BMX style Pin Platform pedals...

I particularly like that one, its light, strong, has replacable sealed cartridge bearings, a cro-mo spindle, and is nice and wide for my big size 12E feet.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #31811
El Guero
V4 Whore

I've got a couple sets of these for the parts bin:

I took them off the hybrid to put the half-platform SPD pedals on. It was wet this morning, and a couple times I didn't get the SPD side of the pedal and my bike shoe did not want to stick at all! The BMX pedals work pretty good with normal shoes, I totally agree and I will put the plastic pedals back on once I've decided I need to wear my boots.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #31812
El Guero
V4 Whore

I was thinking about icy conditions while riding get home tonight. I think I'll be going down hills about as fast as I go up them

Old 11-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #31813
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
I was thinking about icy conditions while riding get home tonight. I think I'll be going down hills about as fast as I go up them
I had a reminder of that yesterday, but with leaves.....

A bottom of the hill right hand turn completely covered with wet leaves, in many layers. It was a very drifty turn. Much more predicable than ice though.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #31814
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
I had a reminder of that yesterday, but with leaves.....

A bottom of the hill right hand turn completely covered with wet leaves, in many layers. It was a very drifty turn. Much more predicable than ice though.
Presuming I don't wuss out the first time the going gets tough, I'm having a hard time planning for what my route will be. I'd prefer as flat a route as possible, but the only flat route isn't well lit. I just have all these visions of wiping out going down the hills that I usually fly down at about 20mph

I do feel better knowing the Nokians have a "winter compound" though. I think I'll also be getting acquainted with the really-low range on my bike...

Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #31815
vmcrcr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Bicycle thread

but the only flat route isn't well lit.

Lights, lights, and more lights!
I've seen some twin lens battery powered lights, battery fits a water bottle cage, that are 'we light the night' bright enough, but it's been a while and don't recall where I saw them. It might have been a LBS, but could have been one of the national online retailers. They were not horribly expensive for the entry level ones, but ramped up in price accordingly to the depth of your pocket/length of battery life wanted/ brightness of the bulbs/ number of zombies chasing you. :)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: