Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #31936
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,079
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
I'm right around 6,500 commuting miles for the year, was planning on being over 7,000 by the end. Probably won't happen now, was literally two minutes into my hour ride home last Friday when my front tire washed out on a crack on the sidewalk (still a mystery to me how that happens to 2.15" Big Apples). Felt my left hand get bent back, chin slammed into the sidewalk. I knew something was wrong with my hand, but being made of 90% stubbornness and 10% common sense, I rode the 17 miles home anyway with my front wheel wobbling against the loosened brakes (there's an argument for disc brakes right there). Went to an orthopedist on Saturday, x-rays showed a complete fracture in the largest bone in my left pinky, have a splint on now, cast tomorrow. It's not even a manly injury, but a broken pinky. Medical costs eat into the new bike fund (Surly Ogre), too. *grumble*

I'm sorry, I feel your pain crashing sucks even if you don't get hurt. heal up fast.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #31937
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Replace them with cables that aren't lubed? I don't think any of my cables are lubed as in, have oil/grease on them.
This, And tri-flo.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #31938
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Replace them with cables that aren't lubed? I don't think any of my cables are lubed as in, have oil/grease on them.
If you've changed out your cables and housing, chances are there's no lube in there.

If you're running stock Shimano housing, there is. Well.... was at one point. SP-41 housing ships with grease in the logo-d end.

So, change out your cables/housing to get rid of that.

Thus sayeth the mechanic

M
Old 11-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #31939
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Heal up soon... but on the plus side; you are now perfectly equipped for drinking espresso and fruity umbrella drinks at the bar...

Getting a proper cast this afternoon, can't wait, this thing looks like it's been chewed up by a dog, and I don't even have a dog. Plaster splint is in three or four pieces, too. And it's not very effective for small cups.

SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #31940
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If you've changed out your cables and housing, chances are there's no lube in there.

If you're running stock Shimano housing, there is. Well.... was at one point. SP-41 housing ships with grease in the logo-d end.

So, change out your cables/housing to get rid of that.

Thus sayeth the mechanic

M
For years I heard people say "It's got the Teflon, you don't need lube." Then about 1993, Shimano started pre-greasing the housings. So happy to have the Japanese engineers having my back. And glad to hear they're still doing it.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #31941
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
Getting a proper cast this afternoon, can't wait, this thing looks like it's been chewed up by a dog, and I don't even have a dog. Plaster splint is in three or four pieces, too. And it's not very effective for small cups.

HA... perfect! I can see your dilemma now; no wrist action to use the cup.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #31942
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
HA... perfect! I can see your dilemma now; no wrist action to use the cup.
That's the best non bike pic in this thread. Heal up fast SV Dwayne. Looks like you're in the right frame of mind.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #31943
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
That's the best non bike pic in this thread. Heal up fast SV Dwayne. Looks like you're in the right frame of mind.
You guys are horrible, you should be ashamed of yourselves,you're not of course.....I crashed on a team ride broke my shoulder blade,out of work for 3 weeks,couldn't ride with team,cus I couldn't ride road bike. ...but after 3 days I was able to ride Mt bike on the road. I rode almost 260 miles a week on the mt bike,with knobbys. Came back really strong....My Teamates came up with a song about me crashing . not a simple song either it had 4 verses...... I feel your pain.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #31944
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 970
I've been looking at getting back into bicycling. Way in the past I had a BMX bike and a steel frame non suspension Specialized mountain bike. I was pointed towards the Specialized Sirrus and then saw the Secteur. After going through the specs I noticed the price difference between models in the same line was the shift gear, eg: Sora v. Tiagra v. 105. Is there really that much of a difference between the three that a n00b would take notice or feel that "this is clunky/notchy perhaps I should've spent more on the "better" version"??
Old 11-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #31945
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I've been looking at getting back into bicycling. Way in the past I had a BMX bike and a steel frame non suspension Specialized mountain bike. I was pointed towards the Specialized Sirrus and then saw the Secteur. After going through the specs I noticed the price difference between models in the same line was the shift gear, eg: Sora v. Tiagra v. 105. Is there really that much of a difference between the three that a n00b would take notice or feel that "this is clunky/notchy perhaps I should've spent more on the "better" version"??
There is a difference, and you may notice it. Take a few out for test rides, and you'll figure it out. That said, they are all fine for the most part. Set you price and see where they fall in. Otherwise, go for broke.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #31946
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
There is a difference, and you may notice it. Take a few out for test rides, and you'll figure it out. That said, they are all fine for the most part. Set you price and see where they fall in. Otherwise, go for broke.
If you're gonna ride it, better parts are going to last longer and work better doing it. If its going to be a clothes hanger, anything works.

I caught a case of the screw-its today. The 4PM Sat mtn bike ride didn't happen. I AM going on a 65-ish mile gravel/mixed surface ride tomorrow so I don't feel too bad about skipping 2 days in a row.

M
Old 11-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #31947
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
I've got a Sirrus. It does city duty in metro Baltimore. The city has been pretty hard on that bike, but it works pretty well. I've never ridden a Secteur.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #31948
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Spend whatever you can afford/justify. The nicer parts will hold up better and will shift under load better. The bike will be lighter also. The drop bar shifters on the Secteur add a lot in its price. I have a sirrus and I love it. I like straight bars. Drop bars have some advantages of multiple hand positions.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #31949
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
After going through the specs I noticed the price difference between models in the same line was the shift gear, eg: Sora v. Tiagra v. 105. Is there really that much of a difference between the three that a n00b would take notice or feel that "this is clunky/notchy perhaps I should've spent more on the "better" version"??
It is not just the gear system

Wheels improve as you move up

The frame may change after a point

Better brakes

Buy the best you can afford to.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #31950
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

So I didn't do 65mi, but I did get out for 2:53 in +/-32deg temps with a killer headwind.

What'd you do today?

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: