M
Old 12-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #31952
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
He's being a dick!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #31953
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
He's being a dick!
Which 'he?'

M
Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #31954
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:
I saw that letter earlier, thought it was great. Probably more complicated in the big picture, but at the end of the day the backlash is going to cost. I suppose they never figured the story would go viral.

On the other hand I'm in the market for a new wheel set. Kind of want to check out this guys custom carbons.

Cafe Roubaix could never buy this kind of advertising
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #31955
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
I saw that letter earlier, thought it was great. Probably more complicated in the big picture, but at the end of the day the backlash is going to cost. I suppose they never figured the story would go viral.

On the other hand I'm in the market for a new wheel set. Kind of want to check out this guys custom carbons.

Cafe Roubaix could never buy this kind of advertising

He will probably outsell specialized
Compliments of specialized
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #31956
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Which 'he?'

M
Sinyard! Clearly not the same guy he useta be when he came to our shop to clinic the new '88 models.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #31957
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Your LBS moved towards the end of the business that I'm in. Can't beat em? Join em!

Working for the 800# gorilla has its perks, but its different than a Mom-n-Pop place for sure. When the shoestring is frayed and holding on by a few threads, the $ to do what your LBS did gets hard to imagine. DAMHIK

M
Not really. He didn't start out as a shop. He started buying and selling vintage stuff. Then, started with a few particular new items and grew from there. Still, the bulk is in wheels and drivetrains.

Quote:
Eloquent truth.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #31958
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
2 days commuting to work in the muck now. It's surprising how fast you can acclimate to the temperatures, the average temp for my rides the last few days has been in the low teens, and the "real feel" is almost always expressed in negative degrees. Learning how to dress helps too, and my relatively short commute probably helps as well as my fingers don't start getting too numb until I'm just about at work

The snow has been pretty manageable with my winter tires as well. Luckily, almost all of the paths/wide sidewalks I've been using were shoveled or plowed. Worst parts are when I find a place that wasn't plowed but has been rutted out by other bikes, my tires are kinda narrow and want to follow bad lines at times. But, it takes me back to the good old days when I had my KLR! Only time I've had to dismount was one spot where a plow had thrown a bunch of crap onto the sidewalk. It was just too "rocky" for me to try to ride over so I pushed the bike for maybe 15 yards.

All in all though it's pretty funny. My rear mech started acting up a little today, not sure if it's just cable tension or if I had some gunk in it.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #31959
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Excellent letter, I hope something good comes from it. I know the woman who started Epic Wheel Works, though we haven't talked in a couple years. I didn't know they went after her, too. Another one person shop doing things the right way getting shat on.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #31960
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Excellent letter, I hope something good comes from it. I know the woman who started Epic Wheel Works, though we haven't talked in a couple years. I didn't know they went after her, too. Another one person shop doing things the right way getting shat on.
This is just lunacy. Specialized can't possibly claim ownership of the words 'Epic' and 'Roubaix', so on what legal theory could they prevent anyone else from using them?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #31961
ericm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
They had those words trademarked, or thought they did. Apparently someone has them trademarked too:

http://bicycleretailer.com/north-ame...e#.UqaUSpHnmlJ
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #31962
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
Early this year a good friend was hit and killed riding his bike from Madison, WI to New Orleans, LA. It's hard for me to say what kind of person Red was, but he lived life to it's fullest and touched numerous people. A group of friends are finishing a memorial ride in his honor. I rode out with them the first day and headed back that night riding by the light of the moon, though I really wanted to just keep going with them.

http://doitrealbig.tumblr.com/
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #31963
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
They had those words trademarked, or thought they did. Apparently someone has them trademarked too:

http://bicycleretailer.com/north-ame...e#.UqaUSpHnmlJ
I'm still baffled by how this sort of thing can be legal. It would be one thing if Specialized had invented the names Epic and Roubaix; then they could legitimately claim them as intellectual property. But what they're attempting to do here is lay legal claim to words that they merely borrowed, and then trying to stop others from doing the same thing.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #31964
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Cool2 Another skill I need to learn.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #31965
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I'm still baffled by how this sort of thing can be legal. It would be one thing if Specialized had invented the names Epic and Roubaix; then they could legitimately claim them as intellectual property. But what they're attempting to do here is lay legal claim to words that they merely borrowed, and then trying to stop others from doing the same thing.
When you file for a trademark, you're basically asking for a country to grant you exclusive rights to use a word or group of words for a narrowly-defined business purpose. Current trademark law in the US requires the 'vigorous defense' of the marks against infringement or the rights holder may lose the right through perceived abandonment of the mark.

It's a broken system and frivolous trademark suits abound. Some examples here:

http://trademarkbullying.org/News.html
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: