User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.41 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #31951
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
I raked my lawn and did knee exercises. Think we had about the same weather.

And am preparing to see Magadeth tonight.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #31952
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,159
Be careful out there:

15 hours ago • Arizona Daily Star

A 78-year-old driver crashed into an El Tour de Tucson bicyclist from behind in a designated bike lane late Saturday afternoon, killing him, authorities said.
The bicyclist, identified as 59-year-old John S. Henderson of Tucson, was riding properly in the El Tour bike lane, which was marked and enclosed by cones, said Department of Public Safety Officer Raul Molina.
Henderson was struck about 5:20 p.m. on the eastbound Interstate 10 frontage road near Sunset Road. He was riding solo at the time, Molina said.
Paramedics performed advanced life support on Henderson, but he was pronounced dead at the scene, said Northwest Fire District Capt. Adam Goldberg.
The driver of the Nissan Leaf, who was alone in the car, stayed at the scene. “Tucson Fire paramedics evaluated and transported the driver to a hospital for evaluation and treatment. The condition of the driver and the indications for the treatment and transport will be released by the Department of Public Safety when the investigation has been completed,” Goldberg said in a news release.
Investigators do not suspect drugs or alcohol had anything to do with the crash, said Molina.
Although skies were overcast, visibility was good, and it was not raining at the time, he said.
He said the car’s speed was “probably within the speed limit on the frontage road,” although the car should not have been in the bike lane.
El Tour founder and president Richard DeBernardis said late Saturday that he was “completely devastated” by Henderson’s death.
“The cyclist did everything right,” he said.
Saturday’s death is the second associated with the 31-ride history of El Tour. In 1996, bicyclist David vonKersburg, 28, was killed by a passing car on his way to the start of the race.
In 2008, a 91-year-old driver struck a group of 10 El Tour bicyclists when he turned left in front of the race on East Ina Road near Westward Look Resort, then left the scene. Five bicyclists were injured, including one who was left with a life-altering brain injury.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #31953
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
So I didn't do 65mi, but I did get out for 2:53 in +/-32deg temps with a killer headwind.

What'd you do today?

M
Rode with all winter gear,the new botties were great,toasty toes.Worked as promised over mt bike shoes. Did a little over an hour,like Gummie in 32 degrees temps.

The booties are tough they are reinforced around the holes in bottom ,the toe has a rubber coating.and good entry and release from pedal.Last couple of years i haven't been able to ride in colder temps because the booties I had wouldn't go over mt bike shoes .I forced them,but the bottom rubber tore

Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #31954
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
Went MTBing today to take advantage of the tacky dirt left over from the rain we had earlier in the week. Got in some climbing to prep for the traditional assault on Southfork Mountain Turkey Day morning.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #31955
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,808
It was only 37 here, but it felt cold compared to earlier in the week. Climbing was more comfy than descending today.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #31956
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Last couple of years i haven't been able to ride in colder temps because the booties I had wouldn't go over mt bike shoes .
When I was riding my bicycle everyday, regardless of weather, booties were just starting to be around.

But what was around were Gore tex socks, sure your shoes got wet (It helped to have a second pair so the wet pair could dry out) but your feet didn't get too wet or cold. And you could use your cleats.
Plus they were much smaller when stuffed in the bottom of jersey pocket or the bottom of a messenger bag.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #31957
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Winter Training

I've been getting more and more active in cycling the past few years.
I will be 59 in Feb.

From March to last week of this year I have been riding almost every day.
Typically an 18 mile / 1 hour urban (Philly) ride urban on week days on a Mountain bike. 30-40 mile road bike ride on Saturday and 50-60 miles on Sundays.

Now that the weather is turning cold I will move indoors especially on those cold weekends.

My typical winter week will look like single track mountain bike for 60-90 minutes 2-3 times per week. 40-60 mile road bike ride once per week (weather permitting) on the weekend or a 3 -4 hour mountain bike single track ride on the weekend.

I'd like to improve my climbing ability over the winter and ride indoors if the weather turns really ugly.

What should I do?
Spinning at the local gym? A trainer for the road bike? Nonspecific bicycle muscle building exercises?

Any comments, your own stories, links to articles, etc. is much appreciated.

John
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #31958
Pedaler
Shop Rag

Oddometer: 48
I think best to hit the gym this time of year. Try and build up your strength in your legs. Breathing exercises too... sounds silly but focus on exhaling completely. The air will almost certainly make its way back in on its own. You are certainly riding enough. These miles this time of year are your base. Long and slow is the way to go. Also, consistency is everything. Don't miss a workout or ride if you can help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
I've been getting more and more active in cycling the past few years.
I will be 59 in Feb.

From March to last week of this year I have been riding almost every day.
Typically an 18 mile / 1 hour urban (Philly) ride urban on week days on a Mountain bike. 30-40 mile road bike ride on Saturday and 50-60 miles on Sundays.

Now that the weather is turning cold I will move indoors especially on those cold weekends.

My typical winter week will look like single track mountain bike for 60-90 minutes 2-3 times per week. 40-60 mile road bike ride once per week (weather permitting) on the weekend or a 3 -4 hour mountain bike single track ride on the weekend.

I'd like to improve my climbing ability over the winter and ride indoors if the weather turns really ugly.

What should I do?
Spinning at the local gym? A trainer for the road bike? Nonspecific bicycle muscle building exercises?

Any comments, your own stories, links to articles, etc. is much appreciated.

John
the best they'll feel all day. Dean Martin
Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #31959
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,775
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #31960
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Spend whatever you can afford/justify. The nicer parts will hold up better and will shift under load better. The bike will be lighter also. The drop bar shifters on the Secteur add a lot in its price. I have a sirrus and I love it. I like straight bars. Drop bars have some advantages of multiple hand positions.
I've been trying to figure out the price difference between what appears to me to be two bikes (Specialized Secteur and Sirrus) where the only differences are the bars and bits attached. Are drop bars and their shifters/brakes really that much more expensive?

JoeDuck screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 07:28 AM
JoeDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #31961
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I've been trying to figure out the price difference between what appears to me to be two bikes where the only differences are the bars and bits attached. Are drop bars and their shifters/brakes really that much more expensive?
What bikes are you looking at?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #31962
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
What bikes are you looking at?
Sorry it was the Specialized Secteur and Sirrus - I guess other than the bar setup I'm not seeing the difference, or don't know what differences to look for.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #31963
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry it was the Specialized Secteur and Sirrus - I guess other than the bar setup I'm not seeing the difference, or don't know what differences to look for.
And, which models of each bike?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #31964
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
I've been trying to figure out the price difference between what appears to me to be two bikes (Specialized Secteur and Sirrus) where the only differences are the bars and bits attached. Are drop bars and their shifters/brakes really that much more expensive?
Yes.

The shifters will/should also affect the cranks, cogs, derailleur, brakes.

So moving from Sora to Tiagra would change not just shifters but most of what is listed above.

How much can differences be?

Sora Groupset - $424
Red Groupset - $2040

from amazon.com.

inyang screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 11:26 AM
inyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #31965
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't see the bikes offering the same component levels. Therefore, you are looking at two different levels of bike.

As "inyang" pointed out, there's a huge discrepancy in pricing on components. And, he just listed groupsets. Wheels, bars, seatposts, seats, etc all affect the price, too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: