Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 143 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #31966
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
I'd like to improve my climbing ability over the winter and ride indoors if the weather turns really ugly.

What should I do?
Spinning at the local gym? A trainer for the road bike? Nonspecific bicycle muscle building exercises?
Spin classes at the gym helped my climbing over the past couple of winters. I used to be a terrible climber and would sit back down after maybe 10 seconds out of the saddle, with my legs on fire. I have gotten to the point where I can stand and sprint uphill for a minute or so without the lactic acid burn anymore. That strain of flu last winter which erased all appetite also helped climbing enormously. Went through two bouts of it and lost 20lbs, but I don't recommend it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #31967
Green Stainz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,985
Spin classes are good but if you can ride outside in the winter do it. I ride inside most of the winter but want to try and set up a winter rig for outside as spinning isn't the same in my opinion. However I spin as much as possible it helps keep the winter weight off from all of the holiday meals.
Green Stainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #31968
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Stainz View Post
Spin classes are good but if you can ride outside in the winter do it. I ride inside most of the winter but want to try and set up a winter rig for outside as spinning isn't the same in my opinion. However I spin as much as possible it helps keep the winter weight off from all of the holiday meals.
Tell you what... If I can keep riding this year, I think I might actually lose some weight. First, it was harder to ride just when it got colder. Don't know exactly why, but it did. Then, just this weekend, I stuck my studded tires on as I'm more worried about icy patches. Now THAT has really made it a lot more work, even on the narrow ones I have! My ride to work feels about 30% harder now. Compound that by the fact that I have put the clipless pedals/shoes away now that it's below freezing and I'm getting a helluva workout!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #31969
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Sorry it was the Specialized Secteur and Sirrus - I guess other than the bar setup I'm not seeing the difference, or don't know what differences to look for.
each of those comes in 6-8 levels of componentry, probably with 2-3 differnt quality frames, even if they look alike.

read an article awhile back that said Specialized sends the same frame design to a half dozen different asian frame builders, then tests what they get back. the builder that makes the best quality one gets put in the top line Comp or whatever bikes, the middle quality ones get used in the mid range bikes, and the one that cranks out the cheapest/sloppiest frames gets put in the base model.

ok, looking at Specialized site, the Sirrus comes in a base model, which uses low end mountain/hybrid parts (Altus etc), then a Sport that uses slightly better mtn/hybrid Acera parts, a Sport Disc (same with disc brakes), an Elite that upgrades to Alivio (better hybrid, still low end mountain), the Comp uses SRAM X7, Comp Disc the same, then the Comp Carbon switches to low end ROAD parts (Tiagra), the Expert Disc Carbon mixes Tiagra with some 105, The Pro Carbon mixes 105 with Ultegra.

I'm not going to do the same with Secteur, but it also comes in 7 models, of which the base model uses 2400 (low end road parts), so is roughly equivalent to the Sirrus Comp except its got different parts.. Confused yet?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #31970
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
Couple new things.
Yesterday I picked up a 2000 Watterford R-22 in my size (it is over in the bike pics thread), really nice. My friend repaired it after the PO tried to drive into his garage with it on the roof of his car. It is set up with Sram Force. I have to say I REALLY like the Sram shift system. Very solid shifts and reallt easy to use from all over the bars.
With this bike I averaged 3mph faster on a quick one hour loop that I ride when I just need to get out, and I had was seriously windy.... Pretty cool!

Today, went for a 1.5 hour ride. It was 20 degrees and WINDY! My water bottles froze up at about the 1 hour mark. Other than the wind and the temp, it was a nice day. I had a pretty solid ice beard at the end.

mud screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 02:39 PM
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #31971
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Are drop bars and their shifters/brakes really that much more expensive?
Yes, they are. Look at what a cheap straight bar costs vs a cheap drop bar. Then do the same for road break lever/shifters vs straight bar shifters and levers.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #31972
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Yes, they are. Look at what a cheap straight bar costs vs a cheap drop bar. Then do the same for road break lever/shifters vs straight bar shifters and levers.
Ah. I think sometimes the internet has too much information. Are clip on pedals/cleated shoes really that beneficial (especially to a n00b)?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #31973
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Ah. I think sometimes the internet has too much information. Are clip on pedals/cleated shoes really that beneficial (especially to a n00b)?
depends on the sort of riding you'll be doing. short round town, bike path kind of hybrid riding? probably not, in fact, while you're still getting your bicycle balance, they are pretty hazardous. if you're going to start doing longer road rides, like 25+ miles, in the countryside where you don't have to stop often, they can help quite a lot.

me, I've become a convert to BMX 'pin pedal' style, they hold your feet nearly as securely as clip-on pedals, without needing to clip in. downside, they can shred your shins pretty good if you do crash.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #31974
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
depends on the sort of riding you'll be doing. short round town, bike path kind of hybrid riding? probably not, in fact, while you're still getting your bicycle balance, they are pretty hazardous. if you're going to start doing longer road rides, like 25+ miles, in the countryside where you don't have to stop often, they can help quite a lot.

me, I've become a convert to BMX 'pin pedal' style, they hold your feet nearly as securely as clip-on pedals, without needing to clip in. downside, they can shred your shins pretty good if you do crash.
Bike path + flat roads to start with - so not too many stop signs. For the previous bit - yeah the 7+ different subtle variations of each bike is confusing me - though most responses have been to buy the ne plus ultra version.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #31975
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Bike path + flat roads to start with - so not too many stop signs. For the previous bit - yeah the 7+ different subtle variations of each bike is confusing me - though most responses have been to buy the ne plus ultra version.
I've got an offbrand ("Globe Vienna") equivalent of the base model Sirrus from a few years ago, and its a great bike for rides of up to maybe 20-25 miles at a relaxed pace, bike paths and such...
Old 11-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #31976
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,421
I'm having a crisis of motivation right now. I *should* have gotten home, changed, and hopped on the trainer for an hour.

Instead I ate some cereal, and am typing on the computer.

Its ~40deg and very rainy... Great for CX, not so bueno for riding in an unheated garage.

M
Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #31977
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Tell you what... My ride to work feels about 30% harder now. Compound that by the fact that I have put the clipless pedals/shoes away now that it's below freezing and I'm getting a helluva workout!
If you want to continue riding using your cleats and pedals you could try some Lake winter boots like I do.

If it's really cold or you just don't want to be cleated to your bike you could try http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/power-grips/ which can be adjusted to any thickness of footwear.

I've been riding toe clips then clipless for so many years I can't ride w/o them anymore.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #31978
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,421
Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #31979
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,830
Quote:
No. Stay away from them, they're just a trip to the emergency room waiting to happen. If you really must try them, practice on a mountain bike first. Dirt is much softer than asphalt and it won't break your femur when you fall.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #31980
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
No. Stay away from them, they're just a trip to the emergency room waiting to happen. If you really must try them, practice on a mountain bike first. Dirt is much softer than asphalt and it won't break your femur when you fall.
Bullshit. I have used them for the past 3 or 4 years (INCLUDING on rollers) and I have fallen exactly once and in my defense, my front tube exploded so I was kinda distracted by that.

As for using them on a mountain bike FIRST ? Even more poppycock - you are more likely to fall riding a mtn bike so clips are even less useful there (for me at least) and really, dirt is softer ? How about roots/rocks etc. ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: