Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #31981
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Bullshit. I have used them for the past 3 or 4 years (INCLUDING on rollers) and I have fallen exactly once and in my defense, my front tube exploded so I was kinda distracted by that.

As for using them on a mountain bike FIRST ? Even more poppycock - you are more likely to fall riding a mtn bike so clips are even less useful there (for me at least) and really, dirt is softer ? How about roots/rocks etc. ?
How's that hook taste????
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #31982
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post

No way he trolls...he's way too professional for that....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #31983
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:

No way he trolls...he's way too professional for that....
Old 11-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #31984
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,039
Quote:
Bullshit. I have used them for the past 3 or 4 years (INCLUDING on rollers) and I have fallen exactly once and in my defense, my front tube exploded so I was kinda distracted by that.
Yah, I've only fallen once too. That was all it took to break my femur. One of the roadies in my group also fell only once. The result? Another hip fracture, but much worse than mine.

Quote:
As for using them on a mountain bike FIRST ? Even more poppycock - you are more likely to fall riding a mtn bike so clips are even less useful there (for me at least) and really, dirt is softer ? How about roots/rocks etc. ?
Of course you're more likely to fall while riding a mountain bike. All the more reason to practice clipping in and out on a dirt trail rather than on the road, where the consequences of falling are far more serious. How about roots and rocks? Read what I wrote instead of being deliberately obtuse.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #31985
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Yah, I've only fallen once too. That was all it took to break my femur. One of the roadies in my group also fell only once. The result? Another hip fracture, but much worse than mine.
Sounds like you guys need to double up on your calcium consumption.

On a more serious note for JoeDuck, get some clip less pedals, set them loose, then ride around a soccer/football practice field and practice doing slow speed figure 8s, while clipping in and out. This should give you a feel for how they work and jump start the muscle memory routine for the process. If you break your hip, blame Aurelius.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #31986
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Quote:

Of course you're more likely to fall while riding a mountain bike. All the more reason to practice clipping in and out on a dirt trail rather than on the road, where the consequences of falling are far more serious. How about roots and rocks? Read what I wrote instead of being deliberately obtuse.

It's just you then I guess...you just need to learn to un-clip
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #31987
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Sounds like you guys need to double up on your calcium consumption.
I spent a lot of time researching this type of injury after the operation. It's much more common among cyclists than I would have thought, and the methods usually used to repair it (partial hip replacement, J-brace) cause lasting problems. IIRC, Floyd Landis had a J-brace installed. I was fortunate in that the surgeon who operated on me suggested a riskier procedure, but one which, if successful, would have much better results. It worked.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #31988
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Quote:

Ooh! I was wrong! Funny.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #31989
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
me, I've become a convert to BMX 'pin pedal' style, they hold your feet nearly as securely as clip-on pedals, without needing to clip in. downside, they can shred your shins pretty good if you do crash.
and

I'm using VP "thin gripsters" on both of my Rivendells, and am very happy. Even on long rides, 50-70 miles in a day, they're comfortable and I like being able to move my feet around - gives my leg muscles a break. For shoes, I found some excellent shot-putt shoes with dead-flat soles, no waffle tread just a slab of rubber. They're also fairly thin, but rubber is stout enough that I don't feel the pedal pins/spikes through the shoes (only on my legs when I'm walking the bike and bang into them).

http://oceanaircycles.com/2013/04/22...al-comparison/

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/pe4.htm
Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #31990
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,583
Y'all can pat me on the back now. I got over my crisis of motivation aka the f*ckits and actually *gasp* rode the trainer just now. Managed to get in two sets of Tabata intervals in 53min.

My Cateye Psychostimulator said I was hovering somewhere in the 400w range consistently across all 10min of intervals.

That 20sec on seems to last for-effing-EVER! while the 10sec recovery flies. WhyTF is that?!

I've now matched last year. I rode the mother-loving thing twice last year and I'm up to twice already this year.

M
Old 11-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #31991
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 980
I went to my LBS today to test ride the Sirrus and Secteur. I was not impressed with the feel/power of the brake levers on either (ok, Brembo spoiled me). I found the straight barred Sirrus the least comfortable of the two and didn't care for the thumb stretch to use the shifter. For me the Secteur was more comfortable and less twitchy (or after 20 years of not being on a bicycle I was remembering how to ride a pedal powered vehicle again). After tweaking the position of the seat and bars I thought I had my bike. Then the salesman points out the Allez Elite
Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #31992
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,719
The Allez is a very nice bike.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #31993
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I went to my LBS today to test ride the Sirrus and Secteur. I was not impressed with the feel/power of the brake levers on either (ok, Brembo spoiled me). I found the straight barred Sirrus the least comfortable of the two and didn't care for the thumb stretch to use the shifter. For me the Secteur was more comfortable and less twitchy (or after 20 years of not being on a bicycle I was remembering how to ride a pedal powered vehicle again). After tweaking the position of the seat and bars I thought I had my bike. Then the salesman points out the Allez Elite
What model of the Sectuer were you looking at?

This?
Old 11-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #31994
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post

me, I've become a convert to BMX 'pin pedal' style, they hold your feet nearly as securely as clip-on pedals, without needing to clip in. downside, they can shred your shins pretty good if you do crash.
X2, nice BMX pedals with sharp pins work just fine. The sharper the pins, the less dangerous. It is like a knife, a dull knife is more dangerous, more likely to slip and hurt yourself.
My riding consists of around town rides of 20-40 miles. I recently did Pittsburgh to DC, 370 miles total, on flat pedals.
You can get a decent pull up on the pedals if you point your toes down a bit.

I still use clipless on the MTB, they are useful for that log you have to bunny hop mid corner or the short steep climb where you need 110% power.

Do not use toe clips, they are dangerous and do not offer any real advantage over good flat pedals. To put your foot down in an emergency you have to pull your foot back and then put it out to catch yourself. At least with clipless the motion is all to the side to put your foot down quickly.

Be prepared to drop a little coin on good flat pedals, they can be comparable to clipless. Cheap Vp flats cost as much as cheap Vp clipless and it goes up from there.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:30 AM   #31995
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
What model of the Sectuer were you looking at?

This?
Wow, I am a flat bar fan, but damn, that is tempting.

FYI: the Allez is going to be more racy and less versatile. That Sectuer will do almost anything you want to do. The Allez will not accept larger tires for light off-road riding.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: