Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 199 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #32011
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
On anything less challenging than expert level trails, I still prefer clipless pedals because of the advantages they confer. It just so happens that all my training at the moment involves mastering the most difficult and dangerous trails, and for that I don't want to be clipped in.
what sort of flat pedals are you using? have you tried modern bmx/mountain 'pin platform' pedals? with the right shoes (I use sturdy low top hiking shoes with a spring shank in the sole), they stick your feet on the pedals just great, you can even sweep the top/bottom of the stroke when you're spinning, yet its instant foot out to kick off a stump, and instant plant to get back to pedaling.

something like these,
http://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-MG-1-Ma...d_sim_sbs_sg_3
Old 12-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #32012
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
what sort of flat pedals are you using? have you tried modern bmx/mountain 'pin platform' pedals? with the right shoes (I use sturdy low top hiking shoes with a spring shank in the sole), they stick your feet on the pedals just great, you can even sweep the top/bottom of the stroke when you're spinning, yet its instant foot out to kick off a stump, and instant plant to get back to pedaling.

something like these,
http://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-MG-1-Ma...d_sim_sbs_sg_3
I picked up a very nice pair of mtb pin pedals from a friend who owns a bicycle shop. They were ordered for a customer who never came by to pay for them, so he let me have them at his cost. They're lightweight and very thin to avoid pedal strikes. They came in very handy on a dangerous expert level trail at Chuck Lennon mtb park yesterday. I made it through without incident, but I wouldn't even want to attempt a trail like that while clipped in. One of the guys I rode with went down hard several times. He finally went back to his car and swapped out his clipless pedals for flats.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #32013
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,854
Some family came to town for Thanksgiving. Luckily the Obama administration used stimulus money to dumb this trail down so anyone can ride it.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #32014
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,551
Well... that went. MABRA CX Championships were today. While there were some high points, there was one low point and a few other mental errors.

...AND... my legs just didn't wanna work. Musta been the whole 15min of warmup I got.

It was a slippy, sloppy, 'soil froze then the top layer melted and got slicker'n snot' kind of day. I was smiling and laughing thru the flatter/muddier bits 'cause I love that kind of stuff. Always have. Mud tires came in handy today. We don't get too many MUD days, so while it seems like a luxury to have mud wheels, there's a race/two per year that you NEED em. Today was one such day. PDX in the front like usual, Dugast mud tire in the back.

The extra bike had a Limus in the back with another PDX on the front. If something'd happened to the Fuji, I was still ready to rock-n-roll.

Luckily, the one fall I had nothing happened to the derailleur/hanger. :phew

Did I mention SLICK?!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #32015
bjorn240
Good with a map!

Oddometer: 302
Ok - challenge for the bikie folks: I need a set of pogies/bar mitts/hippo hands that will fit:

a) A Ninja 250 commuter
b) An mtb with trigger shifters and Groovy Luv bars

Note - they don't have to fit all that well... I only MTB 2-3x per week (most of my riding is on the road), and my commute is only 10 miles r/t 5 days per week.

But yeah, I'm cheap and don't want to buy two sets. What ideas have you got for me?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #32016
bjorn240
Good with a map!

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I loved my Roubaix. If it'd had a shorter head tube, I'd probably still have it.
If it had a shorter head tube, it'd be a Tarmac.

I love my Allez - it's 90% of my Extreme Power at 1/8th the price.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #32017
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn240 View Post
If it had a shorter head tube, it'd be a Tarmac.
they made a few otherwise Roubaixes with Tarmac length HTs for the pros. I want one of those. I loved the ride of the Roubaix, but despite the 8mm top cap and a -17 stem, I was still too high.

Quote:
I love my Allez - it's 90% of my Extreme Power at 1/8th the price.
I have a '96 Allez. Still rides nicely all these years later. Once I get my '02 S-Works back (don't ask) I'll build that up and ride it too. I'd like to get my M2 Road Pro back, but that's long gone.

M
Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #32018
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
they made a few otherwise Roubaixes with Tarmac length HTs for the pros. I want one of those. I loved the ride of the Roubaix, but despite the 8mm top cap and a -17 stem, I was still too high.
That long headtube is a big part of what makes the Roubaix work for me. I've got unusual geometry myself -- long legs, short torso. On most road bikes, when I place the seat high enough to get my leg extension right, the drop to the bars is too large.

With the Roubaix, I can get the seat-bar drop right, giving me a range of very usable positions. I ride in the drops for a significant portion of my time on it, whereas on other road bikes I've ridden, it took a really strong headwind to make the discomfort of being in the drops worthwhile.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #32019
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn240 View Post
Ok - challenge for the bikie folks: I need a set of pogies/bar mitts/hippo hands that will fit:

a) A Ninja 250 commuter
b) An mtb with trigger shifters and Groovy Luv bars

Note - they don't have to fit all that well... I only MTB 2-3x per week (most of my riding is on the road), and my commute is only 10 miles r/t 5 days per week.

But yeah, I'm cheap and don't want to buy two sets. What ideas have you got for me?
My local bike shop has a set of pogies that are $35. They are basic, but just like my Finish ones that were twice that. They are no where near as nice as these though.
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...5&ProductID=14

As you can see the prices range....

Look through this and see if there are any that would work.
http://fat-bike.com/2012/01/pogies-k...e-digits-warm/

mud screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 07:03 AM
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #32020
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
That long headtube is a big part of what makes the Roubaix work for me. I've got unusual geometry myself -- long legs, short torso. On most road bikes, when I place the seat high enough to get my leg extension right, the drop to the bars is too large.

With the Roubaix, I can get the seat-bar drop right, giving me a range of very usable positions. I ride in the drops for a significant portion of my time on it, whereas on other road bikes I've ridden, it took a really strong headwind to make the discomfort of being in the drops worthwhile.
...and I'm the exact opposite: short legs longer torso. I need short and long (the Gaulzetti 51cm? )

M
Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #32021
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

2 x 20min at one of my local parks just now. Ugh.

Last week of CX season. I'm hoping to go out with a decent placing.

M
Old 12-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #32022
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post

Describes me as well and my Roubaix fits like a glove. It blew my mind that I could actually use the drops and be comfortable. I hadn't had that experience on my first roadie.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #32023
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

60+ deg out

M
Old 12-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #32024
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
60+ deg out

M

6" of snow (HEAVY snow) and 30 degrees. At least I have a fat bike.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #32025
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post

6" of snow (HEAVY snow) and 30 degrees. At least I have a fat bike.
It's been raining all day here in Madison. Warmish at least, I kept pulling my gloves off after ten minutes of riding. We'll see if it freezes tonight. Mounted the Nokians a couple days ago, so I'm set.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: