Oddometer: 28,071
great rant

M
Old 12-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #32042
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,115
Nice rant indeed.
I like my LBS. Not sure I get any deals, but I get good advice and service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #32043
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,556

http://wintercycletouring.com/

Quote:
In January 2013 I took a winter touring baptism of fire so to speak for a three week tour through Scandinavia with Helen Lloyd. We cycled and camped 800km from Kiruna in Sweden to Tromso in Norway in temperatures between -5 and -30 degrees C.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #32044
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Oh HELL NO !!!!
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #32045
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Don't you work for PBS?
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #32046
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,305
I spent some time at Santos yesterday, riding with a bunch of guys who were out there practicing for today's State championship race. What incredible riders they were. I only wish I had it on video.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #32047
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Don't you work for PBS?
Right now? Yes.

In the past (and probably future)? I've been in his shoes. Its a tough place to be. Especially in the smaller shops. People want the newest widget and they want it NOW! Small shops just can't keep enough in inventory to compete with a catalog.

...and even me working for the 800# gorilla in the bicycling business, I *still* order stuff from the UK. They'll sell stuff for less than I can get it wholesale. For example: the Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires I got from the UK for $36/ea are $50/ea at QBP

IDK if my prescription showed up on the comments yet, but the way to keep yourself in business is community involvement: rides, mtn bike trail building days, safety rodeos, etc. Get the name out as a resource, place to hang with your buddies, etc and don't expect to make money on widgets except as part of a repair. I know *I* find lots of parts that need replacing (wheels, cables/housing, etc) on lots of repairs that walk in my door.

The move from Shimano to keep wholesale in house next year does a couple of things (at least here in the US): one it sets prices that everyone that orders from em gets, and two it controls to whom they sell parts. Sell below the agreed-upon MAP? You don't get to order from us any more. Play ball and you'll keep getting parts.

what the future's gonna bring, but I'll bet it'll be something like what QBP's done with the link to their catalog thru IBD's websites. Want the widget? Here's you local store. We'll ship it there (no shipping) and you go pick it up. Pay us (QBP) and we'll forward the $ to the LBS. ...and yes, I know what a PITA that'll be on the wholesalers' ends. (or pay the website you're linked thru, and let the LBS deal with the taxes, etc

M
Old 12-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #32048
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Right now? Yes.

In the past (and probably future)? I've been in his shoes. Its a tough place to be. Especially in the smaller shops. People want the newest widget and they want it NOW! Small shops just can't keep enough in inventory to compete with a catalog.

...and even me working for the 800# gorilla in the bicycling business, I *still* order stuff from the UK. They'll sell stuff for less than I can get it wholesale. For example: the Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires I got from the UK for $36/ea are $50/ea at QBP

IDK if my prescription showed up on the comments yet, but the way to keep yourself in business is community involvement: rides, mtn bike trail building days, safety rodeos, etc. Get the name out as a resource, place to hang with your buddies, etc and don't expect to make money on widgets except as part of a repair. I know *I* find lots of parts that need replacing (wheels, cables/housing, etc) on lots of repairs that walk in my door.

The move from Shimano to keep wholesale in house next year does a couple of things (at least here in the US): one it sets prices that everyone that orders from em gets, and two it controls to whom they sell parts. Sell below the agreed-upon MAP? You don't get to order from us any more. Play ball and you'll keep getting parts.

what the future's gonna bring, but I'll bet it'll be something like what QBP's done with the link to their catalog thru IBD's websites. Want the widget? Here's you local store. We'll ship it there (no shipping) and you go pick it up. Pay us (QBP) and we'll forward the $ to the LBS. ...and yes, I know what a PITA that'll be on the wholesalers' ends. (or pay the website you're linked thru, and let the LBS deal with the taxes, etc

M
Moving the WS operation in-house probably won't stop Trek from diverting product to PBS and Nashbar.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #32049
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Moving the WS operation in-house probably won't stop Trek from diverting product to PBS and Nashbar.

Trek hates us.
Specialized hates us

IIRC we're part of the group of companies that controls Cannondale, and we can't sell them either. (I haven't dug into this, so take it with a grain of salt)

Supergo used to go buy up all of 'last year's' stuff and sell it for cheap. They got bought by PBS. PBS promptly ruined the whole setup. Stoopit.

Ditto with Nashbar. PBS bought em. Not nearly the same as it was.

M
Old 12-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #32050
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

32deg and snow's coming down

FAN-effing-TASTIC for the last CX race of the season!

M
Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #32051
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Trek hates us.
Specialized hates us

IIRC we're part of the group of companies that controls Cannondale, and we can't sell them either. (I haven't dug into this, so take it with a grain of salt)

Supergo used to go buy up all of 'last year's' stuff and sell it for cheap. They got bought by PBS. PBS promptly ruined the whole setup. Stoopit.

M
Then I've been out of the biz for a while. Trek useta overorder OEM stuff, presumable to get a price break, then divert the excess to the mail-order companies.

The shop I last worked at was a (framebuilder) Shimano OEM, and we were once offered a container of Shimano OEM Dura-Ace (and other stuff) that had derailed. The shipping manifest indicated it was going from Wisconsin to North Carolina, Trek to PBS. But that was 1993 IIRC.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #32052
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
32deg and snow's coming down

FAN-effing-TASTIC for the last CX race of the season!

M
Thanks for sharing your industry insights. That rant had some great points in it, balanced out with big nuggets of comedy gold. Keep us posted on the snow CX race.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #32053
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
Quote:

Trek hates us.
Specialized hates us

M
I thought Cannondale was now a Canadian er, Quebecois owned company?
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #32054
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Got a couple-three inches of snow today. Went for a ride on some of the paths, it was admittedly cold and slow but fun. Now I'm gearing myself for the ride to work tomorrow, might get hairy!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #32055
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Last race of the CX season.

...and it went off with a bang! Got into the top 15 and was feeling pretty good thru the first uphill. Yeah, I lost a place or two, but I made it back up on the twisty bits that came next.

Then the race started to go sideways.

Went over the barriers on the first lap and had issues getting clipped back in. No worries, I'll just beat my shoes against the pedals and keep going.

Well... that worked once.

Got to the run-up section after the trip across the dam and it got worse. I couldn't get clipped in to EITHER pedal till AFTER the ski run-style downhill. :eek

Then I hit the swampy/muddy section. Had to put a foot down and then couldn't get into that pedal to save my life.

Next run-up section and when I remounted, I had 1/2" layer of mud and ice in my pedals and an inch + on the bottom of my shoe. None of it was coming off despite my best efforts.

So for 3/4 of the race I was platforming on my toes on icy/muddy pedals and slipping off repeatedly. Makes things tough when you're pedaling squares 'cause you can't get your feet in your pedals. I was hemorrhaging time left, right, and center.

To add insult to injury, I missed the remount on the last lap and ended up with my foot down by my rear derailleur and my thigh on my rear tire. Luckily, I didn't go down 'cause that was right in front of the announcer's stand.

Finally ended up over 10min down and basically 'just riding the course.' NOT how I wanted to end the season, but it gives me something to look forward to for next year.

Things I learned: if you get a good start, you don't have to ride nearly as hard.

I'm good when its slippy/slidy and conditions suck. Mud tires when you need em.

Today and last week were prime examples of 'how disc brakes are good in CX.' The other 8 races I did this year? Overkill. I could still stop/slow down, but took some squeezing. Mud build up between the pads and the frame, leading to more mud building up between the pads and frame leading to... You get the idea.

I also learned I need to prep my pedals/shoes for nasty races or they'll gunk up and you can't use em. Ideas? Pam? Lube? Let's hear it from you northern guys.

All-in-all I had the beginnings of a great race but was let down by equipment issues.

Hope your day went better than mine.

Oh, I DID order my Crimmus present from my Mom: pair of alloy rollers. As much as I hate em, having a trainer AND rollers is the way to roll (pun intended)

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: