User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 141 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #32056
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,111
I'd been asked, a while back, to think about a bike for a newb I know. "X" has come out with the perfect bike for '14. Had some time to stop by the dealer and ask about that model. "Nope. Not ordering any.". You had such-and-such model in here last year. Did you sell it? "Yep. Sold that one and four others.". It was way more specific of a bike and this new one is more all-around capable and would fit the other model's demographic even better. Shouldn't you consider getting in at least one. "Nope. Not going to.". OK. See ya' 'round.

^^^ Exactly what's wrong with the LBS industry. Ownership who run their business based on what they think and not what the customer wants. Said business was pissed that another LBS, 45 miles away, was awarded a franchise that he sells. The new shop has all but killed this dude's sales of that brand. Why? Because the new shop is "in tune" with that brand's type of customer and they sell what that customer wants. The LBS I help out at is a monster mail-order business. How? They stock what the customer wants. How'd they start? By buying a select few items in a huge quantity and selling via the internet at a discount. Keep adding products in huge quantities and keep selling at a discount. Next thing you know, they're prospering. Any LBS can do it. But, instead, they despise it and make excuses for their demise. You gotta' go where the market takes you, if you're in sales.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #32057
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,570
WTF?!?

A cyclist in the bike lane was killed yesterday by a Sheriff travelling in the same direction. How will the department spin this one?

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...-in-calabasas/
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #32058
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The LBS I help out at is a monster mail-order business. How? They stock what the customer wants. How'd they start? By buying a select few items in a huge quantity and selling via the internet at a discount. Keep adding products in huge quantities and keep selling at a discount. Next thing you know, they're prospering. Any LBS can do it. But, instead, they despise it and make excuses for their demise. You gotta' go where the market takes you, if you're in sales.
What sort of items are they selling online? I've been trying to persuade the owner of a LBS to do something like that, but he seems reluctant to take the financial risk.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #32059
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
WTF?!?

A cyclist in the bike lane was killed yesterday by a Sheriff travelling in the same direction. How will the department spin this one?

Probably won't be any disciplinary action, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
What sort of items are they selling online? I've been trying to persuade the owner of a LBS to do something like that, but he seems reluctant to take the financial risk.
Ben started with vintage stuff. That evolved into wheelsets and drivetrains (mostly fixie, at the beginning). It's crazy, now. I won't divulge numbers, but, they probably do more transactions from COB Friday night to Monday morning than most shops do all week.

A Campy shipment that came in. You'd be blown away, if you saw their complete drivetrain inventory.

Phil Wood hubs, anyone?

This is a Zipp shipment that came into the old shop. That's on top of what was already in inventory. In total, there are over 500 wheelsets in stock, at all times. They come in by the pallets.

With this many customers, a shop can isolate themselves from what's going on at the local level (weather, economic climate, etc).
Old 12-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #32060
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,570
Quote:
They've released his name and it turns out the rider was the 65 year-old former COO of Napster and a fairly well-known attorney around town. If the deputy screwed up, it's going to come out soon.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #32061
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,411
Quote:

Ben started with vintage stuff. That evolved into wheelsets and drivetrains (mostly fixie, at the beginning). It's crazy, now. I won't divulge numbers, but, they probably do more transactions from COB Friday night to Monday morning than most shops do all week.

A Campy shipment that came in. You'd be blown away, if you saw their complete drivetrain inventory.

Phil Wood hubs, anyone?

This is a Zipp shipment that came into the old shop. That's on top of what was already in inventory. In total, there are over 500 wheelsets in stock, at all times. They come in by the pallets.

With this many customers, a shop can isolate themselves from what's going on at the local level (weather, economic climate, etc).
Your LBS moved towards the end of the business that I'm in. Can't beat em? Join em!

Working for the 800# gorilla has its perks, but its different than a Mom-n-Pop place for sure. When the shoestring is frayed and holding on by a few threads, the $ to do what your LBS did gets hard to imagine. DAMHIK

M
Old 12-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #32062
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,620
probably about the same as the deputy rookie that hit 3 and killed 2 cyclists that were traveling on the *other* side of the road here a few years back.
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...cal&id=6009151

rookie was expected to be sentenced to 4 months jail time, and "eligible to serve that time in a sheriff's furlough program or in home detention".

think that would have happened if it was you or me that killed 2 people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
WTF?!?

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #32063
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Open Letter to Mike Sinyard

M
Old 12-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #32064
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
He's being a dick!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #32065
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
He's being a dick!
Which 'he?'

M
Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #32066
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:
I saw that letter earlier, thought it was great. Probably more complicated in the big picture, but at the end of the day the backlash is going to cost. I suppose they never figured the story would go viral.

On the other hand I'm in the market for a new wheel set. Kind of want to check out this guys custom carbons.

Cafe Roubaix could never buy this kind of advertising
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #32067
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
I saw that letter earlier, thought it was great. Probably more complicated in the big picture, but at the end of the day the backlash is going to cost. I suppose they never figured the story would go viral.

On the other hand I'm in the market for a new wheel set. Kind of want to check out this guys custom carbons.

Cafe Roubaix could never buy this kind of advertising

He will probably outsell specialized
Compliments of specialized
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #32068
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Which 'he?'

M
Sinyard! Clearly not the same guy he useta be when he came to our shop to clinic the new '88 models.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #32069
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Your LBS moved towards the end of the business that I'm in. Can't beat em? Join em!

Working for the 800# gorilla has its perks, but its different than a Mom-n-Pop place for sure. When the shoestring is frayed and holding on by a few threads, the $ to do what your LBS did gets hard to imagine. DAMHIK

M
Not really. He didn't start out as a shop. He started buying and selling vintage stuff. Then, started with a few particular new items and grew from there. Still, the bulk is in wheels and drivetrains.

Quote:
Eloquent truth.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #32070
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
2 days commuting to work in the muck now. It's surprising how fast you can acclimate to the temperatures, the average temp for my rides the last few days has been in the low teens, and the "real feel" is almost always expressed in negative degrees. Learning how to dress helps too, and my relatively short commute probably helps as well as my fingers don't start getting too numb until I'm just about at work

The snow has been pretty manageable with my winter tires as well. Luckily, almost all of the paths/wide sidewalks I've been using were shoveled or plowed. Worst parts are when I find a place that wasn't plowed but has been rutted out by other bikes, my tires are kinda narrow and want to follow bad lines at times. But, it takes me back to the good old days when I had my KLR! Only time I've had to dismount was one spot where a plow had thrown a bunch of crap onto the sidewalk. It was just too "rocky" for me to try to ride over so I pushed the bike for maybe 15 yards.

All in all though it's pretty funny. My rear mech started acting up a little today, not sure if it's just cable tension or if I had some gunk in it.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: