User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #32131
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,832
I think I read that right, Happy Birthday Gummee!

Anyway, once more with feeling...

Anybody who bitches about the seat on their 990 Adventure, just needs to spend a few hours in close proximity with a modern bicycle saddle after too long a lay-off.

I promise that KTM saddle will feel like heaven on two wheels.

The first few miles today were brutal. That saddle and my crap knee were not happy. Hot too. I was way over dressed with my warmest tights and long sleeves. But, I don't mind being too hot.
At one point this old guy came by on the way back right as I'd made my turn at about the clinic. I spun up to at times somewhere around 18 mph. managed to catch up to him as we came through the last of the esses. Rather than just sit in, I decided to be nice and pull through.
He sprinted away as I pulled just ahead.
Fine by me, I'm not here to hurt myself I have a couple of months of spinning staring me in the face and I do not intend on hurting myself being a moron early.
I'll save that for later.
Got home, just and man I was tired. Really needed food. I'd eaten a Gu at the park when I stopped for a natural break as Paul would say. That got me home.
A shower, a short almost nap, then downstairs for a PBnJ more water, and yes, some chips and salsa. hey! Football was on.
Now, I'm off to the home center to replace the leaking shut off valves under the sink.
Tomorrow I'll miss riding because I'm going to go play in the desert with the 990.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #32132
ericm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
How do you guys deal with the sun? When I do bike, I end up with sunburn and amazing tan lines. I can't stand sun block.
I use sun screen for longer rides, except in the winter when I am mostly covered up and the sun is weak.

If you don't like sun screen you can use UV protective clothing: http://www.voler.com/browse/collecti...ectionProducts

But you'll still need some sun screen for the places not covered by the UV clothing.

Skin cancer sucks.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #32133
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
I blew off the club road ride today- didn't feel like fighting the gusting north wind. Ended up having my best day on the MTB in recent memory. I love it when a plan comes together.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #32134
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Well,I'm back on the bike ...sort of ....the Trainer anyway.45 min yesterday and today,I didn't cough up a lung. Borrrring though. I'm not there to be entertained .two pretty solid workouts,considering a week ago I couldn't walk across the room without almost coughing a lung up...So I'll take em.I'll probably be on the trainer for at least another week. I don't want this to come back. Probably won't be doing any sub 40 degree ride for a while.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #32135
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Picked this up yesterday....

Haven't ridden it yet, and I probably won't be home early enough tomorrow to take it out either. Sunday's forecast high is -6 and Monday's is -13...for a high ....supposed to get above zero around Wednesday, so I might get to ride it yet.
NICE! I love mine!
Don't be afraid to ride in sub zero. I went out a while back when it was -10 with no wind, after a couple of hours my feet were dead, but I had no problem keeping warm otherwise....
I recently picked up a pair of boots from REI to keep my tootsies warmer.

I would be out, but I have this brutal chest cold just hanging on.

One word of advice is run blinking lights all the time this time of year, the sun is low and people are fucking stupid.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #32136
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Picked this up yesterday....

Haven't ridden it yet, and I probably won't be home early enough tomorrow to take it out either. Sunday's forecast high is -6 and Monday's is -13...for a high ....supposed to get above zero around Wednesday, so I might get to ride it yet.
Great bikes
Bought my wife a Mukluk this fall and she loves it.
Was out this AM for 3 hours in the wind, made the mistake of not airing up the tires after riding up north last weekend and had to ride with 4 psi up front and 4.5 in the rear which made for a tough day chasing my buddy who was set up better.

from a few weeks back hitting the lakes in Mpls
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #32137
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I'm signed up for the first long-ish ride of the year, a 117k brevet with the San Francisco Randonneurs next weekend. My goal is to work up to a 200k by summer... it's been great to be back on two pedal-powered wheels.
Great - I'm betting that you'll find it easy to make good progress in your goals!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #32138
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Seen the Stages meter? Will work with your Garmin head unit.

Good reviews at bikeradar
Yeah, but they don't work with my carbon fiber crankarms

M
Old 01-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #32139
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Well,I'm back on the bike ...sort of ....the Trainer anyway.45 min yesterday and today,I didn't cough up a lung. Borrrring though. I'm not there to be entertained .two pretty solid workouts,considering a week ago I couldn't walk across the room without almost coughing a lung up...So I'll take em.I'll probably be on the trainer for at least another week. I don't want this to come back. Probably won't be doing any sub 40 degree ride for a while.

Wait till you're symptom free for a few days, THEN wait another one-two days.

...OR... you'll just drive it in deeper.

DAMHIK

M
Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #32140
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 32,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Where I live, everyone breaks some traffic law. Id argue that in these parts the worst offenders are on two human powered wheels and further they're the most egregious. Completely blowing stop signs and red lights without looking or slowing? Ill take my chances with a car or motorcycle that will at least attempt to initiate a California stop. As a pedestrian I've been hit by bikes, not cars. As an equestrian I've been hit by bikes not cars. As a car driver I've been hit by bikes (and cars). As a bicyclist I've been hit by bikes (not cars). As a motorcyclist I (thankfully) havent been hit.

I do know that there are some bicyclists that follow the rules - however they seem to be in the minority. I wish they were in the majority.

I just bought a new bike so Ill be joining the road bike crowd. However I will be stopping at stop signs/red lights and if I'm blocking traffic I will get my arse to the side/off the road.

I see this typed all over the place and have to call bullshit. I'll list 3 reasons I am calling bullshit.

1. I pay close attention to cyclist behavior and have never seen anyone completely blow a stop sign without looking. I tend to think cyclist don't want to get run over.

2. If it were as common as you and others suggest it is, then there would be more bicyclist at fault intersection collisions, but there's not. It's actually very hard to find report of that kind of collision.

3. In this era where everyone is shooting video, it's rare to see any video evidence of what you described.

I called your bullshit.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #32141
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I see this typed all over the place and have to call bullshit. I'll list 3 reasons I am calling bullshit.

1. I pay close attention to cyclist behavior and have never seen anyone completely blow a stop sign without looking. I tend to think cyclist don't want to get run over.

2. If it were as common as you and others suggest it is, then there would be more bicyclist at fault intersection collisions, but there's not. It's actually very hard to find report of that kind of collision.

3. In this era where everyone is shooting video, it's rare to see any video evidence of what you described.

I called your bullshit.
X2

Bicycles provide better visibility to cross traffic. You can also hear traffic coming from other directions.
Stop signs are posted for two reasons: to stop collisions at an intersection or to slow traffic in a neighborhood. At the collision intersections, the cyclist can see up the cross streets and hear if there is traffic coming. Also, bicycles are nimble enough, that if a collision is imminent, they can carve a quick turn or even stop. From 15-20mph, a bicycle can stop in about as many feet.

But the bottom line is about survival, the cyclist is going to loose every time in a collision. I see walkers all the time crossing the street against a "do not walk" sign or crossing in the middle of the block. Does that make all walkers bad walkers and make you want to run them all over?
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #32142
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
My TV will convert from 2D to 3D. Works pretty well. And yes the TdF is stunning in 3D.
I have always maintained the TdF is the single best tourist show on the planet. You just can't watch any of it and not want to go there and visit.
+ gazillion

TDF in person is at or very very near the top of my bucket list.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #32143
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
+ gazillion

TDF in person is at or very very near the top of my bucket list.
having watched a local stage of the Tour of California a few times, I dunno, you see a lot less being there than you do on the live internet or TV feeds.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #32144
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Wait till you're symptom free for a few days, THEN wait another one-two days.

...OR... you'll just drive it in deeper.

DAMHIK

M
Yea I'm being real careful no efforts. Just spinning, and NO air blowing on me from fans, so hot and super sweaty, I'm sure glad I'm sweating up a gym spin bike rather than mine cus that thing is soaked when I get done.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #32145
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
First ride on the Mukluk

This was definitely a learning experience.

We rode shortened loop of a ride that we like to ride on road bikes, usually my buddy on his cyclo-cross and me on the Vaya. Today, I was on the Mulkluk and he was on a Norco Bigfoot. Grinding away for three hours in sub-zero temps on a 35 pound bike with the most inefficient riding tires ever produced was probably not a good introduction. We stopped twice for coffee/hot chocolate to warm up, and by the last few my miles, my legs were blown. I had to get off and walk for a couple blocks because my thighs were cramping. Next time, we'll probably haul the bikes to the trailhead on the river bottoms and just do a loop there. That being said, it's amazing how well these bikes ride over lumpy snow. They just absorb everything and roll over it like it's nothing.

2whl-hoop screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 07:04 PM
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: