Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #32146
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I'm not sure which one of us it is, but it would seem one of us doesn't quite grasp what the word hypocrite means.

If someone as a bicyclist obeys the traffic laws, stops at stop signs/red lights, doesnt block the pedestrian crosswalk or race across them at red lights, as well doesn't block traffic - it's not hypocritical to biatch about those bobbleheads that do engage in that behavior.

In the same manner, I can bitch about loud pipes/pirates/bar to bar drunk riders without hypocrisy until I buy a cruiser, toss on pirate gear, toss on loud pipes then ride drunk from bar to bar, or hold up traffic with my slow ass brothers because a 25mph corner is too much while making sure my tassels have maximum hang time.

To wit: Until you engage in the behavior you're complaining about its not hypocrisy.
Exactly, the hypocrisy lies in the fact that everyone breaks traffic laws. We just pick which ones we want to break. Also, don't lump all cyclists into one group when you saw one doing something stupid. I was driving my cage the speed limit the other day and got passed on a double yellow by another cage that thought I should be going twice the speed limit, does that mean all other cages drive like that?
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #32147
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Exactly, the hypocrisy lies in the fact that everyone breaks traffic laws. We just pick which ones we want to break. Also, don't lump all cyclists into one group when you saw one doing something stupid. I was driving my cage the speed limit the other day and got passed on a double yellow by another cage that thought I should be going twice the speed limit, does that mean all other cages drive like that?
Where I live, everyone breaks some traffic law. Id argue that in these parts the worst offenders are on two human powered wheels and further they're the most egregious. Completely blowing stop signs and red lights without looking or slowing? Ill take my chances with a car or motorcycle that will at least attempt to initiate a California stop. As a pedestrian I've been hit by bikes, not cars. As an equestrian I've been hit by bikes not cars. As a car driver I've been hit by bikes (and cars). As a bicyclist I've been hit by bikes (not cars). As a motorcyclist I (thankfully) havent been hit.

I do know that there are some bicyclists that follow the rules - however they seem to be in the minority. I wish they were in the majority.

I just bought a new bike so Ill be joining the road bike crowd. However I will be stopping at stop signs/red lights and if I'm blocking traffic I will get my arse to the side/off the road.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #32148
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Wow. If you are getting hit by bicycles no matter what mode of transportation you are using, you just might be doing it wrong
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #32149
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Fat bikes...

A friend of mine just picked up a Norco Bigfoot, and I'm afraid I'm going to succumb to peer pressure. Locally there's tons of stuff available, but I think the most likely choices are the Norco, KHS, or Salsa Mukluk 3. I'm leaning towards the Mukluk because it has similar components to the KHS, but has a better fork and alternator dropouts which would allow me to run a 29+ wheelset during the summer if I wanted too, plus I already have a Vaya and I'm partial to Salsa...any thoughts.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/2014_mukluk_3

http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2014-khs-models/3000-2-14/

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/fat-bike/bigfoot/
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #32150
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Thanks, now I have more to look into. Tho Yakima seems to have explodified on my mac and android phone.
I've had both Thule and Yakima systems over the years. Both are great systems that will outlast many cars.

Buy used and save $ 'cause the stuff doesn't really 'wear out.'

M
Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #32151
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Wow. If you are getting hit by bicycles no matter what mode of transportation you are using, you just might be doing it wrong
No joke, huh? If something keeps happening to you over and over, maybe its better to start with the face staring at you out of the mirror. You've looked up the definition of insanity, right?

I get that there're idiots on bicycles. I know 'cause I've seen em too. HOWever, that doesn't mean that ALL cyclists ride like that and 'deserve' what they get. Just like ALL Prius drivers hog the left lane or ALL cruiser riders polish their chrome more than they ride or ALL ADVRiders wear Power Ranger suits. Don't work like that in real life, but yet, somehow, ALL cyclists get tarred with the same brush.

I say 'hypocritical' when discussing moto riders 'cause the same behaviors are done by both, but yet people don't see that when pointing fingers. Let s/he is without sin cast the first stone.

I recognize that I'm not perfect and will allow folks time/room so I can pass safely in the hopes that when its my turn, folks will repay the favor. IOW follow the Golden Rule.

M
Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #32152
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
There really isn't all that much mtn biking in the area that's 'close.' PQ Canyon, some down by the border, some up north of Escondido, and Mission Valley Park (I forget the real name). If you've got military connections, there's great trails on Miramar.

...but otherwise, you're headed to Idylwild, Big Bear, Borrego Springs, or Mammoth for 'big rides.'

LOTS of roads and gravel roads in the East Co. tho. Great place to have a big-tanked DS bike.

M
I'll need to get a CAC for work, so I'll be able to get onto Miramar....something about being a DON contractor
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #32153
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Bike and parts

I have been cycling for 20+ years and the prices of bikes and parts are ridiculous. We had this conversation yesterday and really why is. A mass produced bike made in Tiwann as expensive as they are? I went through the Cannondale factory years ago and it was an impressive place and employed Americans. Of course I ride a Surly and it is made in Tiwan but I only gave 400 for the frame and fork and I really like the bike. How do you guys feel about this?
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #32154
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvridgerider View Post
I have been cycling for 20+ years and the prices of bikes and parts are ridiculous. We had this conversation yesterday and really why is. A mass produced bike made in Tiwann as expensive as they are? I went through the Cannondale factory years ago and it was an impressive place and employed Americans. Of course I ride a Surly and it is made in Tiwan but I only gave 400 for the frame and fork and I really like the bike. How do you guys feel about this?
I ride a surly as well. I've been cycling for 30 years. No reason why a $400 frame and fork can't be made in the USA.... It's just some pipe welded together but they can make them soooo much cheaper in Tiawan.

I don't agree with it but it is a nice quality bike to ride.
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #32155
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
I ride a surly as well. I've been cycling for 30 years. No reason why a $400 frame and fork can't be made in the USA.... It's just some pipe welded together but they can make them soooo much cheaper in Tiawan.

I don't agree with it but it is a nice quality bike to ride.
I sold my road bike thinking I wasn't going to ride on the road anymore and then purchased a 20 year old Bianchi. That bike rides as well as the Trek Pilot I used to have and that bike was full carbon.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #32156
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
A friend of mine just picked up a Norco Bigfoot, and I'm afraid I'm going to succumb to peer pressure. Locally there's tons of stuff available, but I think the most likely choices are the Norco, KHS, or Salsa Mukluk 3. I'm leaning towards the Mukluk because it has similar components to the KHS, but has a better fork and alternator dropouts which would allow me to run a 29+ wheelset during the summer if I wanted too, plus I already have a Vaya and I'm partial to Salsa...any thoughts.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/2014_mukluk_3

http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2014-khs-models/3000-2-14/

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/fat-bike/bigfoot/
I'm really jonesing one of these rides, especially in my new VT home. I've seen a few dudes up here ripping these in the woods in deep snow, looks like such a blast. Almost considering selling my Reign for one of these fat bikes I can swap out a 2.3 29" tire on for the summer.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #32157
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Had a good ride Saturday at The Last Dam Century of the Year with the usual gang of idiots. It's funny how the same climbs seem to get longer and steeper with repetition.

With no work or family obligations, the plan is for a long MTB ride or gravel grinder on New Year's Day.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #32158
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvridgerider View Post
Many of the parts/accessories prices have gotten out of control. Walk into a LBS and they want $50 for a water bottle cage. What happened to the aluminum one that cost $5? $10 for a plain plastic water bottle with the shop logo? WTF? Seat posts and stems are a ripoff too. I buy them from the used take off bin in the back of the shop.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #32159
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I don't know much about fat bikes, but Bikes Direct is selling a bike that is supposedly just a rebadged version of that KHS you linked to. The price is about 40% off the list price of the KHS.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #32160
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
I seem to have a magnet for them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: