Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #32146
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
X2

Bicycles provide better visibility to cross traffic. You can also hear traffic coming from other directions.
Stop signs are posted for two reasons: to stop collisions at an intersection or to slow traffic in a neighborhood. At the collision intersections, the cyclist can see up the cross streets and hear if there is traffic coming. Also, bicycles are nimble enough, that if a collision is imminent, they can carve a quick turn or even stop. From 15-20mph, a bicycle can stop in about as many feet.

But the bottom line is about survival, the cyclist is going to loose every time in a collision. I see walkers all the time crossing the street against a "do not walk" sign or crossing in the middle of the block. Does that make all walkers bad walkers and make you want to run them all over?
I seldom stop at lights and signs when there is no other traffic that I would have to yield to. IMHO, 99% of the motorists who get bent out of shape at this aren't as concerned about public safety, but rather are peeved that they can't do the same (and get away with it).
Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #32147
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
How do you guys deal with the sun? When I do bike, I end up with sunburn and amazing tan lines. I can't stand sun block.

Options other than "ran me over because it is dark and you didn't see me?"
I mostly ride at night....
Old 01-06-2014, 04:25 AM   #32148
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
having watched a local stage of the Tour of California a few times, I dunno, you see a lot less being there than you do on the live internet or TV feeds.
I know. I don't care though, I just want to be there
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 AM   #32149
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
I seldom stop at lights and signs when there is no other traffic that I would have to yield to. IMHO, 99% of the motorists who get bent out of shape at this aren't as concerned about public safety, but rather are peeved that they can't do the same (and get away with it).
This

I see it all the time as I filter (legally and safely) on the right hand side at junctions/lights. I see fuckwit car drivers see me in their mirrors and start to pull over to block me all the time. Wankers. I still get by most of the time with a heaty 'FUCK YOU'.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 AM   #32150
supernick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Freedom ends where the other begins unfreedom.
supernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #32151
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
I know I may be the vast minority here on this: I don't just ride like that on my bicycle, motorcycle and cars are the same. If I am sitting at a traffic light and there is no other vehicle traffic anywhere, it is treated as a stop sign. A lot of stop signs are treated as slow signs unless there is other traffic trying to get through. That is about the only traffic laws I break with motorized vehicles, I seldom exceed the speed limit. I blame my European driving experiences for these habits. If you stop at a stop sign, you get honked at. If you sit through a red light, even if there is tons of traffic, you get honked at.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #32152
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,962
It's funny to me that I've never had an auto driver or motorcyclist give me a thumbs up or similar encouragement for acting within the laws and societal regulations. I stop (on the bicycle) at stop lights and signs and do so in the same lineup as the cars. I do not filter to the front and make them pass me (again). I signal whenever I'm making a turn or slowing. I do get the occasional "thank you" wave if I'm cresting a blind hill and wave the car behind me around if there is clear line-of-sight ahead. To some drivers, I may ride offensively because I stay towards the right-center of the lane and about 24" from the white line. This may seem stupid to many cyclists as it puts me in the danger zone of traffic but I also believe it places me into a better field-of-view for the approaching driver and makes them pause a few seconds longer to make a safer pass rather than attempting a squeeze play.

Just for grins, I performed an arbitrary experiment last Friday night. My training called for an active recovery ride of one hour and fifteen minutes. I started the ride at 5:38pm and ended the ride at 7pm. It went from setting sun to full dark with my allotted ride time so I took the opportunity to count the number of seconds it took for cars to pass that were approaching from behind.

I used the method of waiting to see a reflection of the cars headlights on my handlebars to start counting using my Garmin 510 timer and waited for the vehicle to completely pass me and re-enter the lane before finishing the count. Most passes occurred within 4-6 seconds with nothing coming from the other lane. Longer passes took 8-10 seconds if the car behind had to wait for an approaching vehicle to go by and the longest pass took 21 seconds as I was climbing a blind hill with headlights seen approaching from the other direction.

I'd like to perform a more scientific experiment with actual counts of vehicles encountered and the times for each to pass but that's for another day.

I've never had a motorcyclist exhibit bad or aggressive behavior towards me while I'm riding the push bike. Most of the aggressiveness in my area usually comes from the bigger trucks and younger drivers. I do as much as I can to respect others on the road and hope they see that and pass some respect on to the next cyclist they meet. I wave if a vehicle waits for a clean pass and always wave at people in their yards or on the front porch. It's all about respecting others and giving as much courtesy as you expect from them.

It's easy to admonish those that exhibit bad behavior but when was the last time you thanked someone for exhibiting good behavior or actions?
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #32153
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
That being said, it's amazing how well these bikes ride over lumpy snow. They just absorb everything and roll over it like it's nothing.
I find myself making monster truck noises as I ride over plow wakes and stuff....

They are an amazing workout.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #32154
ericm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
It's funny to me that I've never had an auto driver or motorcyclist give me a thumbs up or similar encouragement for acting within the laws and societal regulations.
I have. Not often but it's happened. It startles me because when a driver pulls up and rolls down the window I expect vitriol.

Quote:
I stop (on the bicycle) at stop lights and signs and do so in the same lineup as the cars. I do not filter to the front and make them pass me (again). I signal whenever I'm making a turn or slowing. I do get the occasional "thank you" wave if I'm cresting a blind hill and wave the car behind me around if there is clear line-of-sight ahead.
I do all those too although I am cautious about waving cars on as I don't want to be blamed for an accident.
I also wave thanks to drivers who have been polite. I think that encouraging good behaviour is more effective than using the single finger to discourage bad behaviour.
I'm wearing team kit with sponsors names on it, so I try to not make the sponsors look bad.

Quote:
I've never had a motorcyclist exhibit bad or aggressive behavior towards me while I'm riding the push bike.
I have. Usually in the form of a much too close pass for no practical reason. It is sad but there are a small number of motorcyclists who hate cyclists, even though it's not difficult for a motorcycle to pass a bicycle. I have quit posting to some motorcycle forums due to the bicycle hate.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #32155
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
I stop (on the bicycle) at stop lights and signs and do so in the same lineup as the cars. I do not filter to the front and make them pass me (again).
even on a street with a bicycle lane, you stop behind all the stopped cars, and wait for the car next to you to roll before you roll ? huh.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #32156
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
even on a street with a bicycle lane, you stop behind all the stopped cars, and wait for the car next to you to roll before you roll ? huh.
Well , Ridge will probably chime in, But we in this area have very few bike lanes They are almost useless to get any distance. I'll stop behind the cars ,because the drivers don't have to repass me. most roads /streets around here don't have shoulders,if you get 6 inches between white line and ditch you're doing great. I also ride in the traffic lane about 18- 24 inchs in lane. It gives me some wiggle room for crap in road /pot holes/ etc.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #32157
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I find myself making monster truck noises as I ride over plow wakes and stuff....

They are an amazing workout.

There's a definite learning curve with them. I think I was running too low a psi in the tires for the snow conditions, mostly hard pack or frozen. I checked before I left and I had 8 psi in the rear and 5 psi in the front. Next time I'm going to pump them up to about 12 psi and then bleed some off during the ride if I feel I need too. I haven't had to get off a bike and walk, on pavement, for probably 15 years
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #32158
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
I have. Usually in the form of a much too close pass for no practical reason. It is sad but there are a small number of motorcyclists who hate cyclists, even though it's not difficult for a motorcycle to pass a bicycle. I have quit posting to some motorcycle forums due to the bicycle hate.
Head on down to JM or The Perfect Line for the 'bicycles on the road' threads to see exactly how many of our fellow ADVRiders are anti-bicycle. It boggles the brain.

I went for a 57min trail run with a buddy. I'm glad he showed 'cause my motivation was already sitting on the couch with a beer.

M
Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #32159
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Yeti beat me to it. Most roads here (95% +/-) do not have dedicated bike lanes. We're lucky if we have a widened shoulder to at least evacuate to if egress is necessary. I occupy as much lane as feels safe for the conditions and give courtesy when due. I am lucky enough that I live WAY out in the sticks and most of my rides don't involve many cars.

The strategy here is high visibility, offensive riding and choosing roads with clear sight lines. Most drivers give clean berth but there are always the 1 percenters that want to be on a power trip.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #32160
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Yeti beat me to it. Most roads here (95% +/-) do not have dedicated bike lanes. We're lucky if we have a widened shoulder to at least evacuate to if egress is necessary. I occupy as much lane as feels safe for the conditions and give courtesy when due. I am lucky enough that I live WAY out in the sticks and most of my rides don't involve many cars.

The strategy here is high visibility, offensive riding and choosing roads with clear sight lines. Most drivers give clean berth but there are always the 1 percenters that want to be on a power trip.
We're lucky to have a lot of bike lanes here, but if I wind up on a road without a reasonable shoulder I will take my place in line with the cars rather than cut in front and force them to pass me again. I also agree that a big key to riding with traffic is to make yourself visible and make your actions clear. If I am going to turn left I sit up or stand on the pedals, signal my turn, and move into the left turn lane. It makes it easier for other road users if they don't have to guess what you are going to do next.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: