Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 202 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #32191
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Starting 2014 with a sprained ankle.

That sucks, At least it's not the middle of May or June.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #32192
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
The only CF frames that I am aware are made in the US are some high end Treks, the highest end Cervelo (R5ca and Rca, $10k frames) and various custom builders. The stuff in China is mass production quality, made to a price. So it's not sensible to compare the two.

"Chinsese" frames vary quite a bit in quality. I have seen some junky ones with blobs inside the tubes, although that was a while ago. The one I bought last year is well made for a production frame. The visible outer layup (it's mostly not painted) is UD, not a woven appearance layer. It's difficult to get UD to lay up perfectly flat against the gel coat and even a small variation is very apparent visually, although not a stuctural issue. This frame's visible layup is cleaner than my original 2006 Cervelo R3's was (also visible UD). The insides of the tubes look good too. If you do some research you can get good parts from China.

I've got two generic Chinese CF frames and a bunch of generic Chinese CF rims. None of them have broken yet. I'm confident enough to do 55mph descents on them.

At the moment, the knowledge, people and capacity to do good production quality CF bicycle work was in Taiwan and is increasingly moving to China. It's the same with consumer electronics. Apple couldn't make iphones in the US even if they wanted to as we just don't have the production facilities and current knowledge here. There's a lot of reasons for that and you may not like them, but that is the current state of the world. If you want something affordable it's probably going to be coming from China.

But if you're willing to spend the money for a top end frame there are some very nice ones made in the US.
I've owned three high end Treks whose frames were all made at their facility in Wisconsin, but I also have some top of the line S-Works Specialized bikes whose frames were made in China. I can't point to any obvious differences in quality between them. When I was very young, people regarded anything made in Japan as cheap crap (it generally was), but that view persisted even when Japanese factories were producing the best stuff on the market.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #32193
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Dood. This is effed up:

The guy is SIXTY TWO years old. WTF?!

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Dave la duc has been around the South east regional area forever!.I've raced against him in several events over the years, back when I raced which was between 84-93 .Strong rider, competitive guy.

I've seen him do (what at the time I thought was amazing )things. Most of the big races we were both in were 2-3 30+ races.

It's sad ,He thinks he has to win that way.
I've been racing that codger for three years now and always felt his performance level to be unnatural for his age. Good to know my suspicions were confirmed and I hope never to see him in a peloton again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Post up your 2013 mileage folks.
http://www.strava.com/athlete/calendar

If I can manage to get out on the trails today, I'll get it up to 3800 miles.

2013 totals: 292 Hours; 4,969.0 Miles [Get Smart]Missed it by THAT much![/Get Smart]
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #32194
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
2013 totals: 292 Hours; 4,969.0 Miles [Get Smart]Missed it by THAT much![/Get Smart]
Yabbut, your miles go by WAY faster than most of ours do!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #32195
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post

Great job!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #32196
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post

Great job!
lol… I'm just a masocyclist.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #32197
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 915
Farkling before the storm

I realize that there are many options for tacking bike trips. Either your: Cellphone (with something like My Tracks or is it Strada?). Garmin bicycle unit (which seem to be about as pricey as the Nav systems from BMW/Garmin or perhaps the wireless "simple" computers. I'm liking the simple computers as they're all about distance/time rather than specific coordinates. What do people here use?
Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #32198
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Generally, I use paper maps, but your average map is getting suckier by the minute. If you are going to a unique place, Nat Geo has some great ones. I used their Baja maps four years ago and thought they were great.

I rode from Seattle to SF this august and used Adv Cycling Assoc maps and an iPhone. Google was great to have but reception could be spotty. We used a USB charger hooked up to a generator hub to maintain charge. Pretty handy little thing.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:12 AM   #32199
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I realize that there are many options for tacking bike trips. Either your: Cellphone (with something like My Tracks or is it Strada?). Garmin bicycle unit (which seem to be about as pricey as the Nav systems from BMW/Garmin or perhaps the wireless "simple" computers. I'm liking the simple computers as they're all about distance/time rather than specific coordinates. What do people here use?
I have a 7 year old Garmin ETrex, it has been a durable unit. I also have a cheap bicycle computer. The new ETrex accepts bike sensors and you can still connect to their website.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:36 AM   #32200
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,555
Quote:
I'm still 'planning*' on upgrading to a power meter, I just don't know which one. I'm leaning towards the Garmin pedals at the moment. ...so I picked a Garmin 500. If you don't think you'll ever use power or HR the 200 is a good thing.

Up sides:
You can move em from bike to bike
It never needs calibrating
You can run with em
The nicer ones can be used with HRMs and power meters
You can program workouts in and it'll beep at you to go faster and/or slower. I've got some killers programmed in mine. **

Downside:
$$

M

*even at EP the prices are way up there!
** IDK if the 200 will do this
Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #32201
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
** IDK if the 200 will do this
I have the Edge 200 and it does the basics: ride time, resting time, avg speed, descent, ascent. I think it can be programmed with courses so the user can see his improvement over a pre determined route, but I've never messed with that function. I used it yesterday on a 20 mile super tight singletrack ride (on my KTM 525) following a pro level rider on his Gas Gas300. Averaged a pathetic 8.5 mph. Lots of missing tree bark in those woods.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #32202
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,555
3:08 and appx 80km on the road today. Began to snow right before my buddy and I got back to my place.

Sunday's Haymarket ride is postponed because its supposed to snow, so I'll make it official: this was my birfday ride. I'm almost 4mi over my age, so all's good.

...but I'm down from 69mi over last year! (for the record, last year's birfday ride sucked after about mile 60)

M
Old 01-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #32203
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,523
This year I figure to do better than last. Last year I was on ravel for near six months and working too damned many hours to do anything useful as far as training.
This year I am not traveling and work is stable. I won't be working overtime. That is my new policy. They don't have enough money to buy extra time because they can't plan. I ain't taking the hit anymore.
Damn the man.

This year I did not start off yesterday with a ride, or run, or even much of a walk. I went to a movie with my wife. We had not been in about two or three years. We saw the Hobbit in 3D at IMAX. The glasses hurt my nose, and temples. By the time we left we both had head aches.

Only cost $35.50 for two tickets and zero overpriced bowls of crap. I know they sell tubs of buttered stuff that resembles popped corn, and small wadding pools of iced down soda. I wonder if one can buy a $4.00 bottle of water?

Anyway. I'll fire up the Roubaix tomorrow and go for a spin. Today I'm pretending to know how to spackle.

And I get a Shingles shot this afternoon. I am officially old.
And since I am old and set in my ways, I think the old fart that doped at the Masters should be banned for life. Period.
That should be the rule if the governing bodies actually gave a damn about a clean sport. As far as I'm concerned the same should hold true in pro sports.
All of them. Dope, and you're done. Period. One single strike. It isn't like dropping a hammer on the new tile. You can't go back and unwin games/races. You can't go back and rerun the race to see what would have happened had it all been clean. Doping isn't fair. It cheats everybody in the game or watching.

I hope to see if I can wear out another set of tires this year.

Maybe even try for RAGBRAI if I can swing it between all the other things on the list this year.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #32204
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I use my smartphone and Strava. I've had Garmin GPS on the motorcycle, sold it when I sold the big bike and have not yet decided on another specific device.
I'm toying with upgrading my phone when it comes due with an iPhone5, adding the fancy case and uber battery. Then add BT2 cadence and HR monitors. I'd also be adding some rally type Roadbook app for motorcycling off road. Onroad, when I need it I can fire up maps or Google maps. I've used GPS MotionX as well. More fiddly.
GPS tracking can be used with phone that is only running GPS and not the phone itself so it doesn't even need to be onplan. Or so I'm told.
Guys use iPhone4's like this for Rally practice.
Tulip Roadbook editor for iPad, RallyBlitz, 3pMaster. The last two are for the phone. Not real useful for cycling unless doing big routes maybe?
Some things to explore this year for me anyway. I like having a multi-function device. I'm not sure how well any of these things will work or if they will work. But, I'm figuring I'll give it a try. For the time being I'll continue with my old re-furbished iPhone4 running Strava to keep tack of my training/riding and horribly slow running.
If I was going to go with a Garmin right now I like the Montana. It's pretty big for a bicycle, but I like having the different power options. Not real sure I want to burn $500 on a GPS. And I'm sure I wouldn't use it on my local training. No real point to that when I'm going to carry my phone anyway. And that is where the cycling specific computers/GPS units get tangled up.
DC Rainmaker site is a good review site for training gadgets. A site this forum pointed me to.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #32205
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Nice job!

Mine quite a bit less, 1,600 miles through 116 hours.

Poor Richards Training Almanac 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Post up your 2013 mileage folks.
http://www.strava.com/athlete/calendar

If I can manage to get out on the trails today, I'll get it up to 3800 miles.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: