Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 499 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #32191
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I may have missed it and apologize if I did but did those specs and descriptions come from Training Peaks?
That is correct. Those are from one of Hunter Allan's base-building plans. I use them during the winter then purchase a separate plan to start skill-building for specific races.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #32192
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
That is correct. Those are from one of Hunter Allan's base-building plans. I use them during the winter then purchase a separate plan to start skill-building for specific races.
That's pretty darn cool. I've been s slug for the last few months as we try to wrap up our home remodeling but like you, I like the structure of power, heart rate and a specific plan to adhere to when I get back on the bike.

Home remodeling is just about done. Our house is rather modest but we've redone the kitchen, both baths, 85% of the flooring throughout and close to 100% repainted the interior. Only closets won't be painted 'cause...they're closets.

This weekend will be tough. Half the house was effectively moved into the other half for painting. The guys will paint the bedrooms and hallway and then, late Saturday, we'll clear out the living and dining room so those can be painted on Sunday.

Kitchen and the master bath are done - they're wrapping up the second bath today The contractor will set the vanity and finishing up his plumbing areas. I have some work to do once they've done their part. Nothing significant: hang a shower panel, make a small repair and permanently mount the light.

Frankly, I'd rather be riding but my wife has been so patient with my hobbies, it was time to put my efforts & money into the home project. Good thing - I'll likely die in this home!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #32193
ericm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
I'm the opposite. I don't like too much structure. It makes riding seem like work. Every time I can't do the planned workout due to work/life/fatigue becomes a failure. The one time I tried a coach I fired him after a month. Nothing wrong with the coach but having to meet his expectations was more stress in my life. My hobby is supposed to be fun.

I quit riding once because I was so burnt out by doing a strict plan (out of Eddie B's book if you remember that). I don't want to burn out again so I keep things loose.

I make a plan based on a spreadsheet that implements the work chart in Friel. I usually target two peaks each season, timed around my important races. From there I plan my workouts in reverse. But I plan only down to weeks, as in in week 24 I'll do two sessions of 5 min Vo2max intervals, one long SST and a long endurance ride. And if I can't do that in week 24 I'll move stuff around to a different week. I don't even write the changes down, its all in my head because it is pretty simple.

On the back end I have power meters and Golden Cheetah analysis software to see where I'm at and to tell me when to rest.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #32194
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
[QUOTE=Ridge;23183712]The Training Peaks plans will be as hard or as easy as you make them since you are the motivating force and are responsible to perform the workouts according to the numbers provided. I use both a power meter and HR to hold myself accountable to my numbers.

And since You're a what was it ? oh yea a masocyclist ,it'll be tough.

I like some stucture in training ,but not ride 10 min and then go like hell for 20 min. I've found having a basic plan and tweeking it as I go leaves my some flexiblity.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #32195
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
That's pretty darn cool. I've been s slug for the last few months as we try to wrap up our home remodeling but like you, I like the structure of power, heart rate and a specific plan to adhere to when I get back on the bike.

Home remodeling is just about done. Our house is rather modest but we've redone the kitchen, both baths, 85% of the flooring throughout and close to 100% repainted the interior. Only closets won't be painted 'cause...they're closets.

This weekend will be tough. Half the house was effectively moved into the other half for painting. The guys will paint the bedrooms and hallway and then, late Saturday, we'll clear out the living and dining room so those can be painted on Sunday.

Kitchen and the master bath are done - they're wrapping up the second bath today The contractor will set the vanity and finishing up his plumbing areas. I have some work to do once they've done their part. Nothing significant: hang a shower panel, make a small repair and permanently mount the light.

Frankly, I'd rather be riding but my wife has been so patient with my hobbies, it was time to put my efforts & money into the home project. Good thing - I'll likely die in this home!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post

And since You're a what was it ? oh yea a masocyclist ,it'll be tough.

I like some stucture in training ,but not ride 10 min and then go like hell for 20 min. I've found having a basic plan and tweeking it as I go leaves my some flexiblity.
The great thing about the Training Peaks plans is that there are many to choose from depending on your goals and preferences. They're not all structured as strictly as the one I'm using.

K7, I'm approaching a significant interior remodel soon as well and dreading it. I think once the first hammer is thrown, I'll feel better but we're still in planning mode for the breadth of our aspirations vs. what the bank account will support.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #32196
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,449
Old 01-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #32197
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
The great thing about the Training Peaks plans is that there are many to choose from depending on your goals and preferences. They're not all structured as strictly as the one I'm using.

K7, I'm approaching a significant interior remodel soon as well and dreading it. I think once the first hammer is thrown, I'll feel better but we're still in planning mode for the breadth of our aspirations vs. what the bank account will support.
How do you work it on weeks like the one we are having ,on the trainer? riding in liquid sunshine isn't fun
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #32198
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,819
Quote:

Good luck. We started gathering quotes last Dec and "broke ground" so to speak in April. Our contractor to didn't rush us and we didn't rush them. Realistically, we could have been done in 4 months but that would raised the stress level.

Instead, they worked as much as we'd let them while paying for work based on an agreed upon project milestones. Budget-wise, we stayed close to our original budget and overages were based on good, solid reasons not emotions of want, like or love.

More than once, I told my wife "if you want it, we can do it" and every time, the response was that we had to stay in our budget.

Half the house is being painted today....in fact, they're almost done. We'll take a few hours now to clean and move stuff so they can paint the living and dining room tomorrow. Our house is rather modest but....it's paid for and looking great now!

So close.....so close........
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #32199
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
I had a much more enjoyable experience on the Mukluk today. It was right around 32f, so about 40 degrees warmer than last week. I also aired the tires up to 12 psi, and they rolled SO much nicer. I primarily was on a plowed blacktop path with a light coating of snow, but I rode to a county park and got on an unmaintained multiuse trail. Here the Mukluk was pretty happy. The snow was packed by foot traffic and I aired down the front to 9psi to give a better ride. On the way home I rode some snowmobile trails that had seen quite a bit of use and the Mukluk ate it up. It's surprising how snow conditions can change from ridable to barely ridable just by whether or not they had exposure to the sun. I think the snowmobile trails would be a lot of fun when the temp is in the low-mid 20s so they stay nice and firm.

2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #32200
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,247
When using say Shimano SPD cleats do people use threadlock (blue) on the bolts that hold the cleats in place? First time out I was hesitant to over tighten my bolts due to reviewers stating Id strip the threads. I lost a bolt which meant riding back one foot clipped in, one free - which wasn't an overly wonderful feeling.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #32201
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Yes, sucks having them loosen up on you and twist around on the shoe when you are trying to get out.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #32202
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I had a much more enjoyable experience on the Mukluk today. It was right around 32f, so about 40 degrees warmer than last week. I also aired the tires up to 12 psi, and they rolled SO much nicer. I primarily was on a plowed blacktop path with a light coating of snow, but I rode to a county park and got on an unmaintained multiuse trail. Here the Mukluk was pretty happy. The snow was packed by foot traffic and I aired down the front to 9psi to give a better ride. On the way home I rode some snowmobile trails that had seen quite a bit of use and the Mukluk ate it up. It's surprising how snow conditions can change from ridable to barely ridable just by whether or not they had exposure to the sun. I think the snowmobile trails would be a lot of fun when the temp is in the low-mid 20s so they stay nice and firm.

You can ride in Ravine???? I LOVE that place!

I may have to check it out next week.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #32203
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
You can ride in Ravine???? I LOVE that place!

I may have to check it out next week.
Not the whole thing. I just rode the main paved trail. It's multi-use and part of it was groomed. There were signs indicating that hikers were to stay to the side, off the ski tracks, and that's where I rode. There are also ski trails that are signed for skiing only, and I stayed off those. Probably not enough riding to make it a destination, but it's in the neighborhood and I wanted to see what it was like.

Carver Lake park in Woodbury has their mountain bike trails open for riding, but I haven't been there yet. Probably more actual riding there, though.

http://www.ci.woodbury.mn.us/images/...arver-2012.pdf
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #32204
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 32,029

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #32205
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Wow!!!