Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #32206
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Nice job!

Mine quite a bit less, 1,600 miles through 116 hours.

Poor Richards Training Almanac 2013

Thanks. I ran out of time and spun for 15 miles on the Roubaix to close out the year with 3805 miles. Every time the bike got over 18mph, I stopped pedaling and coasted down to 15 or so, due to the windchill. Anything less than 50F and I'd rather be on the mtb. The first mountain bike race of this season is March, 9th.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #32207
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Couple questions:

Thinking about dropping cable TV. Is there a subscription-based deal that has all the classics and TdF, without having to scan multiple sites and pay multiple fees?

I have a modern LCD TV and it has all the expected hookup ports. Isn't there a wireless gadget that'll allow me to watch programs from my computer on my TV? If so, what is it? Or, is there a better picture quality option?

TIA
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #32208
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Couple questions:

Thinking about dropping cable TV. Is there a subscription-based deal that has all the classics and TdF, without having to scan multiple sites and pay multiple fees?

I have a modern LCD TV and it has all the expected hookup ports. Isn't there a wireless gadget that'll allow me to watch programs from my computer on my TV? If so, what is it? Or, is there a better picture quality option?

TIA
Cycling.tv is subscription

Then there's cyclingfans.com and steephilltv.com if you don't mind listening to Dutch, or Italian, or German, or the British feeds from the races. I saw Strada Bianche live last year in Italian. I speak enough German that the Dutch broadcasts are more or less intellible.

Sean Kelly knows his stuff, but he's got problems worse than Bobke.

M
Old 01-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #32209
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Cycling.tv is subscription

Then there's cyclingfans.com and steephilltv.com if you don't mind listening to Dutch, or Italian, or German, or the British feeds from the races. I saw Strada Bianche live last year in Italian. I speak enough German that the Dutch broadcasts are more or less intellible.

Sean Kelly knows his stuff, but he's got problems worse than Bobke.

M
I knew about cyclingfans and steephill. I'll check out cycling.tv.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #32210
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Couple questions:

TIA
wireless is flakey for video streaming in my experience, I ended up plugging my AV stack into ethernet to get solid glitch-free video.

I'm using a WD TV Live HD, which will play HD and SD video files off my home file server (avi, mp4, mov, mkv, etc etc) as well as various services like Netflix, and youtube stuff. I've amassed a rather large collection of the british mystery and drama stuff my wife likes, plus there's tons of that kind of thing on Netflix.

the cycling stuff, I'm less sure how you'd get that on a TV short of hooking up a laptop or something and using the TV as a computer screen.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #32211
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Thanks. I ran out of time and spun for 15 miles on the Roubaix to close out the year with 3805 miles. Every time the bike got over 18mph, I stopped pedaling and coasted down to 15 or so, due to the windchill. Anything less than 50F and I'd rather be on the mtb. The first mountain bike race of this season is March, 9th.
The trick there is to go 20-22 mph and warm yourself from the inside. I useta ride down to 10 F wintertimes in NH and VT.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #32212
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
The trick there is to go 20-22 mph and warm yourself from the inside. I useta ride down to 10 F wintertimes in NH and VT.
My face kept feeling like it was gonna fall off... and I've grown a thick winter setup beard. I guess I should've worn a balaclava, but it was 41F that day.

edit: The only parts of the ride I really enjoyed were the climbs.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #32213
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,834
How long will it be before we see these riding our favorite trails?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #32214
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
wireless is flakey for video streaming in my experience, I ended up plugging my AV stack into ethernet to get solid glitch-free video.

the cycling stuff, I'm less sure how you'd get that on a TV short of hooking up a laptop or something and using the TV as a computer screen.
I was afraid of that.

I knew when I bought this PC, a few years ago, I should've gotten a ~30"-37" LCD for a monitor. Plus, I missed out on the "Black Friday" opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I'm using a WD TV Live HD, which will play HD and SD video files off my home file server (avi, mp4, mov, mkv, etc etc) as well as various services like Netflix, and youtube stuff. I've amassed a rather large collection of the british mystery and drama stuff my wife likes, plus there's tons of that kind of thing on Netflix.
I need to look into what exactly that is. I know I have an upgraded video card because I asked for it, but, not sure to what level it is. I know nothing of all the monikers you've listed, nor Netflix. I only watch TV for what I preset-record on my DVR and only listen to music on Sirius or CD. If it's not mechanical (nuts and bolts, things I can see), I struggle with it.

Thank you, for your help.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #32215
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
I was afraid of that.

I knew when I bought this PC, a few years ago, I should've gotten a ~30"-37" LCD for a monitor. Plus, I missed out on the "Black Friday" opportunities.

I need to look into what exactly that is. I know I have an upgraded video card because I asked for it, but, not sure to what level it is. I know nothing of all the monikers you've listed, nor Netflix. I only watch TV for what I preset-record on my DVR and only listen to music on Sirius or CD. If it's not mechanical (nuts and bolts, things I can see), I struggle with it.

Thank you, for your help.
FWIW....I have no issues with streaming video (both from local content and from the internet) over Wi-Fi and my router is quite old now and should really be upgraded to a faster one.

YMMV
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #32216
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
FWIW....I have no issues with streaming video (both from local content and from the internet) over Wi-Fi and my router is quite old now and should really be upgraded to a faster one.

YMMV
There's hope, then.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #32217
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
That streaming TV Q & A was very timely as I also want to ditch Dtv. Thanks!

I use an Iphone 4S with the Cyclemeter app (think it was $4.99) to track my bike miles. I added a cadence and a HR sensor for about $75 from fleabay and I am all set. Counting the miles I did before the app I did 873 miles this year after being away from riding for 28 years. Goal is to at least double that in 2014 and do a century. Did 20 miles on new years so off to a good start.

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #32218
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
There's hope, then.
There are a ton of variables when it comes to wi-fi and generally speaking, wired will/should always be better but if it's your only/easiest alternative, it may work just fine (I just watched some video that is on a central server I have via wi-fi and it was just fine - I am in the basement and router is upstairs).

It really is a case of YMMV....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #32219
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
I stream video wireless from my iPad to my AppleTV via wifi. That's how I watch MotoGP.
Once we dump cable, (free for now), I'll only have the net. It turns out there isn't any more bandwidth available in my area using U-verse even as internet only. The HDTV/DVR is the hog. U-verse is much better than the DSL we used to have. Sat-based internet systems were crap out here for video streaming. They may have improved, but the last two idiots who came to estimate installs here wanted to staple the cable to the side of my stucco house. Basically make a huge mess, that the HOA doesn't allow. We all pay for the mess clean up then.
Right now the U-verse is digital fiber optic delivery to near the house, then fat cable into the router. The main HDTV/DVR wifi's off that. I hear it may be possible to run higher box off the router for computer to computer stuff and the big net HD, but I have not gotten around to messing with that yet.

We also stream Netflix and 3D-HD movies off Apple TV via wifi. We only occasional have issues. I've found the AppleTV needs to be powered down and back up once in a while to clear it up.
3D HD streaming is better here at home than at IMAX. My glasses are better fit I think. Beer's cheaper too.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #32220
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
3D HD streaming is better here at home than at IMAX.
Crazy thought: Wouldn't TdF be stupid-awesome on IMAX? Like every stage shot with it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: