User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 519 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #32326
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,461
Most of my research has told me that it produces a different adaptive response, that might be a little more desirable. It has enabled me to put out at a higher level for varying periods of time instead of just 30 seconds. Different strokes, ymmv, etc blah blah.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #32327
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,833
@Yakspout: go get Time Crunched Cyclist. Read. Do those workouts. Get faster.

Easy peasy.

I've become a fan of Tabata intervals. Warm up. Do a set. Ride easy 5min. Do another set. Cool down. Just don't blame me when you puke on yer top tube.

M
Old 01-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #32328
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Most of my research has told me that it produces a different adaptive response, that might be a little more desirable. It has enabled me to put out at a higher level for varying periods of time instead of just 30 seconds. Different strokes, ymmv, etc blah blah.
I'll do something similar, but in minute blocks instead of second blocks.

IOW: 1min on/1min off. Add a minute on/off till you get to 5min on/5min off and then go back down. That last minute of interval REALLY sucks. AMHIK

Then there's the 53x15 for 5min. 53x14 for 5min, etc to the small cog and stay there for 10min. Go easy 5min then do 5 x 30sec all out sprints. That one'll kick yer ass too. I was seeing crosseyed the last time I did one of those workouts.

M
Old 01-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #32329
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
What he said ~SNIP~ I suspect I'm going to be on the trainer for the next few days.

M
Thanks...looking forward to getting some time on the XTC- truthfully it was a better bike than I needed, but the fit was so much better than the other bikes in Giant's line, and as my son gets older I may need a good bike just to keep him in sight!!!

Outdoor saddle time may have to wait- the weather is not cooperating so my neighbor and I will be hitting the Sufferfest videos tonight

Been trying to do that 2 or 3 times a week, and add an outdoor pedal as weather permits. The videos are tough, but hopefully I'll be better off when the spring finally shows up.
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #32330
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Finally picked up a bike to haul the little guy around. Leftover 2010 Gary Fisher Simple City. 3-speeds. 29lb as seen in the pic. About 45lb with a single pannier, KryptoLock and the Yepp child seat. The side-folding centerstand is genius.

We took a shake-down cruise on Monday and YakSprout loved it. When we pulled up to the park a little girl pointed and yelled at her grandma, "THAT'S the bike I want Daddy to get!"

Nice set-up!

FWIW, the centerstand makes loading and unloading into the Yepp a lot easier, but once the boy is in the seat I don't take my hand off the bike. Last summer we stopped and I got off the bike for a few seconds to pick up a small turtle on the path and in the amount of time it took to take a step away from the bike and bend down, the whole works, boy and all, tipped over. Fortunately it tipped onto the grass and only scared both of us. Lesson learned
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #32331
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Ordered bits and bobs to make the S-Works whole again. New saddle (white), bar tape (white), headset (need the crown race), and carbon bottle cages. Yeah, I know I can get Velocity cages that weigh the same for LOTS less, but its CARBON man!

M
Old 01-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #32332
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Nice set-up!

FWIW, the centerstand makes loading and unloading into the Yepp a lot easier, but once the boy is in the seat I don't take my hand off the bike. Last summer we stopped and I got off the bike for a few seconds to pick up a small turtle on the path and in the amount of time it took to take a step away from the bike and bend down, the whole works, boy and all, tipped over. Fortunately it tipped onto the grass and only scared both of us. Lesson learned
Thanks.

I definitely do NOT trust the centerstand to keep the bike upright once he's in it. I use it to keep the bike upright until he's positioned over the seat, then I sort of keep my arm/elbow around the seat post while I buckle him in. Once he's strapped in, I throw a leg over and we're off.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #32333
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

This right here boys and girls:

is why you don't race stuff you can't afford to replace.

M
Old 01-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #32334
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I'll even start a caption:

Dude on the left: Hey look! A water bottle that matches my kit! I SO need that!

Dude on the right: what?! Where?! I don't see anything!

M
Old 01-23-2014, 04:27 AM   #32335
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 422
TrainingPeaks Plans

Question for TP users..

How are the plans delivered?

Do the plans come in a format I can just download into my garmin cyclecomputer and follow?

For example, on the Edge 800, you can download a training plan for Intervals from the Garmin Training Centre and just follow the prompts.

I am preparing for a long multi day ride by April, started base training but looking for something more structured to follow. I have done 800km so far this month and plan on min of 500km per month till then

Upcoming ride is about 7 to 8 days
150 - 200km per day
Plenty of hills (for me), about 800 to 1750m of elevation gain per segment.
Temps are 32-40 deg C with RH of 100 in the south dropping to 80/90 as we move northwards.
Road bikes, no luggage, 2 of us

And I live in Flatisland!

There is a Hilly Century plan that looks promising, I have the Time Crunch Cyclist book but translating all that stuff into training zones and plans on the Garmin is not what I am looking forward to.

Looks like the Experienced Century plan is what I need

inyang screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 04:29 AM Reason: TP Experienced Century Plan linky
inyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #32336
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,917
Quote:

M
Great shot! I like the position of the third guy, looks like the rear wheel is locked up and he is drifting a bit.

We have a 1/2 mile oval here that they race crit races on a couple nights a week. It is pretty cool, with banked turns and a small hill at the start/finish. That is good for a few really expensive crashes a year. Usually the chain link fence on the outside of the banked turns is what does the most damage.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:48 AM   #32337
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:

M
As a Junior, I had a $10 max for rear derailleurs.

As a Senior, I pretty much only raced the track. Beefy steel frame and papier-mache' wheels. Never bent the frame as the wheels would take the hit.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #32338
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 2,103
One for Gummee!

One picture that explains everything you need to know about Cyclocross:

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #32339
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The problem with Ritchey is the frames are $350-$400 with any other decal on them. Their CX frameset is ~$1300, whereas Surly, Velo Orange, any other Taiwanese frameset would be ~$500.
The Swiss Cross is spec'd w/ WCS carbon cross fork, WCS headset w/integrated cable hanger, has a fastback seat cluster, integrated head tube, investment cast drop outs, and a higher spec tube set compared to the other's DB 4130. It has a good MSRP for what you get, but the V.O. & Surly are solid bikes.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #32340
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
The Swiss Cross is spec'd w/ WCS carbon cross fork, WCS headset w/integrated cable hanger, has a fastback seat cluster, integrated head tube, investment cast drop outs, and a higher spec tube set compared to the other's DB 4130. It has a good MSRP for what you get, but the V.O. & Surly are solid bikes.
Well, that explains a lot. Makes sense, now. Thanks!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: