ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #32401
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Riding in a paceline requires technique, practice, familiarity with the the traffic environment, and a decent engine. When you find yourself in a good one, it zips down the road like a well oiled machine. The better the roads and riders, the better it goes. However, crappy roads, lots of stoplights, and heavy cage traffic can make a group ride horrible by turning it into a giant slinky of (stressed out)riders who are constantly playing catch up. That was my experience during a ride with my brother's club while visiting his town a few years ago. This is why I only participate in group rides out here in the county. Less traffic, no stop lights, billiard table smooth roads, more speed = more fun. You gotta find a group ride that makes you feel comfortable, both in terms of people and roads. Also, try to be honest about your fitness level. Getting spat out the back of the A group while they're doing 25 mph up hill is demoralizing. DAMHIK.
I've ridden with a few different groups. I've yet to be in one where someone wasn't complaining about something. The last one was a group of women. I had limited time, so I pulled them down our rail-trail, ~14 miles. We get to the other TH and they start talking about going into town for drinks and eats. Huh? You've been on your bike less than hour, I rationalized. I ended up pulling two of them (the thin girls) most of the way back to the start point. They dropped off, a couple miles from the end, muttering something about me riding too fast. I didn't think 15mph was that big of a deal, for "avid" cyclists, drafting my fat ass.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #32402
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Yeah, that looks more like a y-foil anyway.

Pelotons; I'm sure it's a blast, I just prefer my own pace. Then again, I'm not very good at this, anyway.
Zipp 2001


'Your own pace' is elevated in a group/paceline 'cause you don't have to do as much work. Its almost magic. The sound a pack makes when everyone accelerates is amazing too. Like a swarm of bees suddenly becomes very angry. ...and you get sucked along with em.

Like I said: a functioning paceline is something. Riding in one that isn't functioning? Sucks out loud. Paceline etiquette isn't being taught anymore. For that matter, lots of etiquette isn't being taught anymore. There's reasons for the things 'we' do. It isn't enough to be strong as an ox if you can't ride in a group.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #32403
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
. Getting spat out the back of the A group while they're doing 25 mph up hill is demoralizing. DAMHIK.
I get spit out the back of groups going uphill considerably slower than that!

:sprinter



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #32404
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

'Your own pace' is elevated in a group/paceline 'cause you don't have to do as much work. Its almost magic. The sound a pack makes when everyone accelerates is amazing too. Like a swarm of bees suddenly becomes very angry. ...and you get sucked along with em.

Like I said: a functioning paceline is something. Riding in one that isn't functioning? Sucks out loud. Paceline etiquette isn't being taught anymore. For that matter, lots of etiquette isn't being taught anymore. There's reasons for the things 'we' do. It isn't enough to be strong as an ox if you can't ride in a group.

M
I'm sure they're great. I'm not anti-paceline. Stop preaching at me.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #32405
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post


'Your own pace' is elevated in a group/paceline 'cause you don't have to do as much work. Its almost magic. The sound a pack makes when everyone accelerates is amazing too. Like a swarm of bees suddenly becomes very angry. ...and you get sucked along with em.

Like I said: a functioning paceline is something. Riding in one that isn't functioning? Sucks out loud. Paceline etiquette isn't being taught anymore. For that matter, lots of etiquette isn't being taught anymore. There's reasons for the things 'we' do. It isn't enough to be strong as an ox if you can't ride in a group.

M
The fastest rides I've ever done were in a group four or five years ago. It was a metric century ride and I could (barely) hang with the fast guys who went off the front. Our moving average was around 21 mph for 62 miles. My solo riding average at the time was 16-17 mph on my usual 30-40 mile rides. No way could I have kept up the group pace on my own. It was pretty cool to be flying along at 25 mph or for miles on end! I did the ride maybe a half a dozen times that year, but I haven't rode in group much since then.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #32406
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 898
And today: 12.5 miles@ 7.2 mph...

2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #32407
Geek
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 30,786
65 degrees in Colorado today



Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #32408
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,669
Wind was brutal here today. 55 miles felt like 110.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #32409
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer
 
68deluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Phoenix AZ
Oddometer: 13,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I've ridden with a few different groups. I've yet to be in one where someone wasn't complaining about something. The last one was a group of women. I had limited time, so I pulled them down our rail-trail, ~14 miles. We get to the other TH and they start talking about going into town for drinks and eats. Huh? You've been on your bike less than hour, I rationalized. I ended up pulling two of them (the thin girls) most of the way back to the start point. They dropped off, a couple miles from the end, muttering something about me riding too fast. I didn't think 15mph was that big of a deal, for "avid" cyclists, drafting my fat ass.
When I was stationed in Korea (back in 1989) I was riding only around 50 miles a week. I went on a ride with another guy to Incheon (around 25 miles) to meet some locals at a bike repair shop. Lots of smoke-belching busses to put up with in the cities. On the way back I could not keep up with the other guy because he had ironman bars. Nearly killed myself catching up to him to yell at him to take it easy. He thought it was hilarious. Asshole. I was so ragged out I caught a really nasty cold later that week.
__________________
2010 KTM 990ADV
2004 KTM 250SX
68deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #32410
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Ohio
Oddometer: 2,222
Road bike

bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #32411
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Ohio
Oddometer: 2,222
MTB

bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #32412
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
When I was stationed in Korea (back in 1989) I was riding only around 50 miles a week. I went on a ride with another guy to Incheon (around 25 miles) to meet some locals at a bike repair shop. Lots of smoke-belching busses to put up with in the cities. On the way back I could not keep up with the other guy because he had ironman bars. Nearly killed myself catching up to him to yell at him to take it easy. He thought it was hilarious. Asshole. I was so ragged out I caught a really nasty cold later that week.
I was over there, '87-'88. Everything diesel belched. Ugh!
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #32413
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer
 
trailer Rails's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Oddometer: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
And today: 12.5 miles@ 7.2 mph...

7.2mph is flying on that bike.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #32414
PMC
riding rider
 
PMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Twin Cities MN
Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
And today: 12.5 miles@ 7.2 mph...

Mn River Bottoms east or west side? (looks like east)
I live just up the hill from the east side just above Old Cedar Bridge
PMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #32415
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
Mn River Bottoms east or west side? (looks like east)
I live just up the hill from the east side just above Old Cedar Bridge
East side. I parked at the lot by the boat club in Lilydale, hoping to ride to Cedar Ave or further, but about 1/2 way between 494 and Cedar the trail was pretty soft and I wasn't making very good progress, so I turned around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
7.2mph is flying on that bike.
You kind of have to recalibrate when you ride these things. It seemed like I was barely moving, but my heart rate was soaring.
Ironically, my shoulders and arms really took the brunt of it and I can feel it today. If there was a good grove to ride in it wasn't bad, but if the groove narrowed or was messed up, the front tire would catch the snow on the sides and try to steer off to the side into the soft stuff. Consequently, I had to keep a pretty firm grip on the bars the whole time, and by the end of the ride, I could feel every little bump I rode over in my hands and arms...still more fun than spinning on a stationary, though
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014