Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 05:36 AM   #32521
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I like the way the Kuat and some of the other racks grab the tire and not the frame for stability.
Totally agree. I have one that tensions the top tube. I cringe, on our CF bikes.

Last year, Kuat donated an NV to The Cedar Cross. It's possible, they'll do that again, this year, if any of you want to ride 100mi of MO gravel.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #32522
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
And, how much did your bike cost?
A lot more than my rack. I'd love to have one of those Kuat racks but we're talking...what... $800 for the Kuat versus $200 for the Saris. The Kuat is extremely well-built - IMHO, it's probably the best rack that money can buy. I just don't need all the features that it offers.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #32523
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Hi All, I'm currently having a bad rash of 1st world problems in that my new 29er MTB won't fit in the car without a wheel off, I just got a new car which has less room in the back & won't fit any of our bikes without a wheel off, the old hitch mount carrier was always crap & is more crap with the new bike... So it's time to make a better hitch mount bike carrier.

I have fairly decent fabrication capability at home so I can pretty much build whatever I want & custom fit it to the new Subaru Crosstrek. I have a few ideas, thinking of going with the type where the front wheel comes off & the forks clip into a QR axle on the carrier, the back wheel gets strapped into a slot. May make it modular so a rack for a 2nd bike slots into the main carrier. Hoping to make it low profile enough that it can just stay on the car most of the time.

So if anyone has, or has seen anything like this that works well I'm keen to check out any pics, links or advice that might help in the design process.

Cheers
Clint
I've seen them all and this is by far the best design I've come across at the trail heads.
http://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilver.html
Instead of plastic parts and fancy logos, it's made entirely of aluminum by a machine shop here in the USA. Once you see one up close, you'll realize these racks are on a different level. If I ever replace my Softride Versa (which I love), this is what I'll buy.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #32524
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I purchased a Saris Freedom 2-Bike Hitch Rack. It's not fancy but it's very well-built and stable. I love it - very good value for the money. The center support folds down and I simply stow it in the truck when I park for a ride.
I had one of those. Be careful about the cheap clamps that hold the bike in place. The rubber pad will wear through and hard plastic parts below will take the paint off your bike frame.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #32525
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I'd love to have one of those Kuat racks but we're talking...what... $800 for the Kuat.
In the $550 range.

I do think what Thule and Yakima charge for their shit is absurd. They make so much of it proprietary and in pieces, so you're forever buying something. What's worse is all the "Freds" driving around with that rack and crap on the roof, which rarely gets used, beats the hell out of their bike and kills their mileage when they do, just so they can look "Pro". I'd rather see someone buy a trunk or tire mount rack, and just be honest about themselves and conscientious about the fact they're burning gas to go enjoy doing something that doesn't and shouldn't burn gas to do. Huge props to the commuter and utility riders. I'm working toward that.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #32526
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I've seen them all and this is by far the best design I've come across at the trail heads.
http://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilver.html
That is a nice rack. I like how each addition is placed higher than the one before it for ground clearance. That it's made in USA is a plus, as is the compact size when stowed. I don't like how you have to steady the bike during securement/unsecurement. If an end holder could stay in place, it'd make things easier. Maybe, their video just isn't showing that it can be done that way. I can just see me dropping my MTB into the tailgate of my truck.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #32527
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,190
Quote:
What's wrong with taking a wheel off? I do that all the time to get my bikes in the back seat of the Bank Vault.
That's not the main issue, although it was nice being able to just turf an entire bike or 2 in whole with the old car. With my bigger bike & smaller car things would get quite tight with 2 bikes & gear even with wheels off, plus I've been meaning to build something like this for a while.

Quote:
I'm not into cobbling stuff together, especially, on a new car. Get yourself a nice hitch rack,
I am into cobbling stuff together. I'm not talking 2x4's & baling wire here, more like TIG welded cro-moly tube & billet machined fittings

Thanks for the links & pics, that 1up looks like some nice engineering.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #32528
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,418

I *think* I've linked to a vimeo vid that doesn't autoplay. Finally!

2hrs today with a buddy. Gravel. Some trespassing 'cause he looked at google maps and the road to the left went thru to where we needed to be. My legs were teh suck today. Cut the ride shorter than planned (distance-wise) but since we were 'explorating' time-wise, it was longer

M
Old 01-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #32529
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I *think* I've linked to a vimeo vid that doesn't autoplay. Finally!
Repost!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #32530
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
so its worth watching again!

M
Old 01-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #32531
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
so its worth watching again!

M
It is pretty amazing how nice that sounds.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:55 AM   #32532
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
It is pretty amazing how nice that sounds.
did I mention how bad my legs felt yesterday?

Ugh. I haven't had a ride like that in a while now. No oomph. Must've done those Tabata intervals at least sorta right.

M
Old 01-31-2014, 05:27 AM   #32533
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,296
Last day of the month.. post up your YTD mileage you miscreants...

Trying to keep y'all on your bikes and your pedals to the proverbial fire. No whining about snow, ice or other natural phenomenon. I know y'all are adventure riders right?
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 AM   #32534
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I've been slacking! 17 days of activities and appx 400mi. Trainer sessions don't show up, so call it 32hrs on the bike or running for Jan.

Slow month for me. Damn the cold! Its hard to get motivated to go ride or run when its below 20 AFTER a 10-hr day of working.

M
Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #32535
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,835
Snow daze.

It's supposed to hit 60 tomorrow, so all of this will turn to moosh.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: