User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #32521
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,954
Good lord, I'm signed up for a 200k on the 22nd. Only 8500' elevation gain...

http://sfrandonneurs.org/
Old 02-13-2014, 05:57 AM   #32522
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
I called a 'rule 5' ride last nite. Snow wasn't supposed to start till 2000 which would've put us back at the cars right when the flakes began to fall.

So what happened?

5min into the ride, the flakes started falling!

Oh well. We're out and we're going to keep going!

I strongly suspect the snowplow driver was incredulous he passed 3 nutcase cyclists.

Maybe a cm of accumulation when we were out. Now? 8+" on the ground.

M
Old 02-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #32523
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
This would be what we call half wheeling. Almost. Or just not knowing what the hell he is doing.
I don't mind riding in close quarters when I'm pretty sure of the people involved.
Strangers? I am willing to back my workout down a notch for a bit to make some space.
He was a middle aged dude like me, but appeared to be in excellent shape. My guess, judging by his physique and riding tactics, is that he was a former road racer. I can't imagine someone who never raced having the nerve to ride that close to another cyclist.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:12 AM   #32524
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
you're still on about that?!

I can tell you from personal experience that there's little you can do except ride like a total spaz that's going to bring me down. Even if you DO ride like a total spaz, you're probably still not going to bring me down.

...and... you should be flattered. The guy 'drafting you' obviously thought you were an experienced cyclist. Obviously he was wrong.

M
Old 02-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #32525
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Good lord, I'm signed up for a 200k on the 22nd. Only 8500' elevation gain...

http://sfrandonneurs.org/
Jeebus man - good luck with that event. Is this your first brevet or have you done these previously?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 AM   #32526
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

I can tell you from personal experience that there's little you can do except ride like a total spaz that's going to bring me down. Even if you DO ride like a total spaz, you're probably still not going to bring me down.

...and... you should be flattered. The guy 'drafting you' obviously thought you were an experienced cyclist. Obviously he was wrong.

M
I'll say, if I had also broken my hip in the recent past, I'd be more aware of people getting too close to me. It probably takes a while to get over the fear.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #32527
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,443
Quote:
Ride Post your own ride posts and let him ride post his.
I fix. Gummee, stop lecturing. You weren't on his ride. You don't know what actually happened. Even if he was wrong, it ain't for you to tell him, no matter how long you been riding.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #32528
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 570
Paging Fred....Fred please report to the white courtesy phone....
Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #32529
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I fix. Gummee, stop lecturing. You weren't on his ride. You don't know what actually happened. Even if he was wrong, it ain't for you to tell him, no matter how long you been riding.
Why did he post it here then if not to get some advice

If you don't want advice then don't post - and don't get all PO of when you get advice you don't like. Jesus, how long is he going to bitch about it - just go faster or slower - it's not that hard.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #32530
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
Yet more evidence of the myopia and emotional immaturity you expressed in an earlier thread. Here's a valuable clue for you: what you do affects others beside yourself. Riding that close to someone else is going to make THEM nervous. They don't know you, so your confidence that it won't lead to a crash doesn't mitigate THEIR concerns in the least. It boggles the mind that you seem incapable of understanding something so obvious.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #32531
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 570
By not telling the person riding within your personal comfort zone that you're not comfortable, they assume everything is good. Especially if you're riding your carbon wonder-bike, and matching kit. How hard would it have been to tell the guy to give you space? You're unbelievable, I'll stand by for your "been riding longer than you've been alive" holier-than-thou diatribe.

Apparently tenure on the planet is a substitute for decades of on the job experience. You clearly know very little about cycling, which is fine. When someone like Gummee posts something that is correct, but you don't agree with it, you melt down.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #32532
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Yet more evidence of the myopia and emotional immaturity you expressed in an earlier thread. Here's a valuable clue for you: what you do affects others beside yourself. Riding that close to someone else is going to make THEM nervous. They don't know you, so your confidence that it won't lead to a crash doesn't mitigate THEIR concerns in the least. It boggles the mind that you seem incapable of understanding something so obvious.
It boggles my mind you can't figure out you have 3 options: a. tell them to fuck off b. go faster c. go slower.

I mean, how fucking hard is it
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #32533
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Jeebus man - good luck with that event. Is this your first brevet or have you done these previously?
I've done two 115k brevets, and fared well enough. I've also done shorter rides with similar elevation gains. But this will be a tough ride for me, no question. I need to get some lights mounted, too, since I'll probably be finishing after dark.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #32534
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I've done two 115k brevets, and fared well enough. I've also done shorter rides with similar elevation gains. But this will be a tough ride for me, no question. I need to get some lights mounted, too, since I'll probably be finishing after dark.
If you haven't made a selection, maybe consider the Cygolite Expilion 800 USB Bicycle Headlight. It'll go something like 9 hours on the lower setting. I've got it on order along with an extra battery.

I also have a front dyno setup (wheel and lights). I'll try the battery light on this 400 since I can manage it in a total time 19-22 hours (6-9 hours at night) without the need to worry about recharging it within 3-4 hours of sleep for the next day's ride.

k7 screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 09:29 AM
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #32535
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
If you haven't made a selection, maybe consider the Cygolite Expilion 800 USB Bicycle Headlight. It'll go something like 9 hours on the lower setting. I've got it on order along with an extra battery.

I also have a front dyno setup (wheel and lights). I'll try the battery light on this 400 since I can manage it in a total time 19-22 hours (6-9 hours at night) without the need to worry about recharging it within 3-4 hours of sleep for the next day's ride.
Cool. I've done okay, in the past, with a 4Sevens LED light (CR123) mounted by a "P" clamp - small and light, and very bright. I have red and white blinkers, too, to enhance visibility.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: