User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #32686
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,503
I got out today in the snowy NC mountains. The Santa Cruz is better than me. It led me face first into a stream. Only 7 miles but it was neat to get out in the snow.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 AM   #32687
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,256
Got in some good cross training yesterday and competed in my first biathlon. My skiing wasn't the greatest because it was only the second time on skate skis this winter and I haven't ski raced competitively in years. Thank God it was a short race.

But I went clean on my shooting and was real happy with that. Fun times, just what I need is another sport.

2whlrcr screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 11:23 AM
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #32688
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ray View Post
I got out today in the snowy NC mountains. The Santa Cruz is better than me. It led me face first into a stream. Only 7 miles but it was neat to get out in the snow.
BTDT

I went for a 'run.' I put 'run' in quotes because of the 1:22 I was out, maybe a third of it was actually running. The rest was hiking in the snow in the woods. Trail's not beaten in far enough to actually be able to run thru there. Aaah well. I was out in the fresh air anyway.

Today? Probably the 4 Gravel Roads loop.

M
Old 02-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #32689
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,436
Toe covers are brown

Tights are brown

Surprisingly, the jacket's not bad.

There's a dirt/ice mix on the downtube and all over the rear of the bike.

Yeah, went out on the dirt roads today. Between 'running' on the snow last nite and the ride in the mush today I'm on a roll!

M
Old 02-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #32690
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
I've managed to log over 100 miles on the Mukluk so far this year. With the stupid cold and my work schedule, it's been a challenge to get out on it, but considering I normally would've managed about zero outdoor miles by this time, I'd say it was a good investment. A lot of work though. I'd equate every mile on a fat bike to be about 1.75 miles on skinny tires.

I rode 5 miles of single track at Carver Lake yesterday for the first time, and that was a full body workout. Much better than spending time indoors.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #32691
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I've managed to log over 100 miles on the Mukluk so far this year. With the stupid cold and my work schedule, it's been a challenge to get out on it, but considering I normally would've managed about zero outdoor miles by this time, I'd say it was a good investment. A lot of work though. I'd equate every mile on a fat bike to be about 1.75 miles on skinny tires.

I rode 5 miles of single track at Carver Lake yesterday for the first time, and that was a full body workout. Much better than spending time indoors.
You picked a good winter to get one. Not a lot of fun riding anything else with how much snow we've had.

I've been laid up with some crap that turn into something else that turned into something else and haven't been out for the last two weeks and it's about killing me. Today my wife told me to go ride the trainer in the basement (against doctors orders) and when I mentioned that she said "She doesn't have to live with you so get down there". Felt great afterwards!

PMC screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 03:08 PM
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #32692
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,900
Got out in the woods for a trail maintenance day for five hours today. The owner of the LBS showed up on his new Trek Farley fat bike. Of course, I HAD to ride it. That was fun, especially the climbs on the steep loose stuff which usually causes tire spin or wheelies on a normal bike. We had a great turnout of volunteers and got everything we set out to do accomplished. Got home (tired) and decided to knock out 20 miles on the road bike just because of this beautiful 59F weather. Gonna sleep like a baby tonight.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #32693
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,257
44 miles this morning. My legs didn't feel that good after yesterday's ride but I did my best to maintain a 20 mph average. I did just that until the halfway point but fairly slow on the return.

Another cyclist caught me at a light four miles from home on the final turn where the light made me stop. I had already noticed him behind me about 4 miles back. Big dude, you could tell he was kind of a throw-back rider. No helmet, older, very fit. Not friendly - I rolled over and hit the pedestrian button to trip the light and he kind of sneered at me. "How you doing?" Nothing.

OK - he led out naturally and tried to drop me by accelerating up to 23 but that wasn't happening. Well, not at 23 anyway. 25 would have done it.

Mindful of Aurelius' recent comments, I stayed about a bike length back. He slowly slipped back to 19 and then tried to get back to 22 or so. Wasn't happening....he slipped back to 20....which was fine with me. My legs were pretty much done anyway. I continued to stay back a bit - just close enough so he could hear me shifting gears. As I made my turn, I yelled up at him - "Have a safe ride." Nothing. Again.

It was a quick final four miles...damn glad it was also.

k7 screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 05:44 PM
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #32694
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
44 miles this morning. My legs didn't feel that good after yesterday's ride but I did my best to maintain a 20 mph average. I did just that until the halfway point but fairly slow on the return.

Another cyclist caught me at a light four miles from home on the final turn where the light made me stop. I had already noticed him behind me about 4 miles back. Big dude, you could tell he was kind of a throw-back rider. No helmet, older, very fit. Not friendly - I rolled over and hit the pedestrian button to trip the light and he kind of sneered at me. "How you doing?" Nothing.

OK - he led out naturally and tried to drop me by accelerating up to 23 but that wasn't happening. Well, not at 23 anyway. 25 would have done it.

Mindful of Aurelius' recent comments, I stayed about a bike length back. He slowly slipped back to 19 and then tried to get back to 22 or so. Wasn't happening....he slipped back to 20....which was fine with me. My legs were pretty much done anyway. I continued to stay back a bit - just close enough so he could hear me shifting gears. As I made my turn, I yelled up at him - "Have a safe ride." Nothing. Again.

It was a quick final four miles...damn glad it was also.

was you on the carbon bent?
the newfangled materials and bent may have been too much for him
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #32695
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
was you on the carbon bent?
the newfangled materials and bent may have been too much for him
Yep - it's the only bike I own although after yesterday's climb, MrsK7 said I was cleared to buy a diamond-frame. I did spend some time on the Mercian webpage. I had two different Mercian's in the 80's and 90's. Very, very lovely bikes - lots of old school charm that I'm sure my new friend would appreciate.

102 miles for the weekend - two more weekends before the 400k. Hopefully, the weather will be nice.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #32696
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

I stupidly thought DuPont would be n better shape than Pisgah today, so we hit DuPont. There was still about 4-7" of snow in most places. Last week we did a really tough 20 miles in Pisgah - this was worse. But what a lot of fun it was to learn snow control.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #32697
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
I stupidly thought DuPont would be n better shape than Pisgah today, so we hit DuPont. There was still about 4-7" of snow in most places. Last week we did a really tough 20 miles in Pisgah - this was worse. But what a lot of fun it was to learn snow control.
Any pictures to share?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #32698
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Quote:
Any pictures to share?
Phone was too full. I will make sure there are pics on most of the future rides.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #32699
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Phone was too full. I will make sure there are pics on most of the future rides.
Thanks - I know I'll love them. I've bicycled a bit in the Smokies in years' past and my family has always loved NC. As kids, we camped from the Outer Banks to the Smokies so I have great memories from there. Four years ago today, I lost my father. Since then, I lost my mom and my grandmother. Seems that memories are all that's left from that era of my life.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #32700
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Quote:
Thanks - I know I'll love them. I've bicycled a bit in the Smokies in years' past and my family has always loved NC. As kids, we camped from the Outer Banks to the Smokies so I have great memories from there. Four years ago today, I lost my father. Since then, I lost my mom and my grandmother. Seems that memories are all that's left from that era of my life.
If you Instagram I have a bunch at bastardconquistador

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: