Old 02-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #32747
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Bugscreen?

That's a thing?
Only ones I recall seeing it on were the UVEX helmets.

Scroll down about 2/3 for the explanation
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #32748
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Something like this, maybe?

There's a park that I ride through sometimes with thick clouds of gnats. I can see where that would be handy.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #32749
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

My Rudy has one.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #32750
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
My Rudy has one.

as does my spiuk
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #32751
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
I prefer the integrated bug zappers, you can plug into your Di2 battery.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:14 AM   #32752
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
I prefer the integrated bug zappers, you can plug into your Di2 battery.
Are there any that run off a Dynohub?
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #32753
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
My guess is shop owner #2 doesn't want you coming around anymore.

You special order a tire he doesn't typically stock, based on your knowing more about it than him, then you reject it. When you come in shopping helmets you offer much unsolicited advice on what he should be carrying and how he should run his business.

He's obviously decided you are more trouble than you are worth.

You have your judgements, he has his. I'd say you have come to a mutual parting of the ways... Time to take the hint.

;-)
It's quite possible you're right. But, we've had numerous, long conversations about bikes, the industry, rides, and such. It wasn't like I just started spouting off to him. It was his diatribe that caused me to defend my position as a customer and someone knowledgeable with sales and marketing.

With the tires, we discussed the minimum width I wanted to end up at. He was fine with the idea I possibly wouldn't take them and would need to order the next size larger. He even said there'd been a few people asking about that specific tire, as it was new to the market.

Lastly, there's a reason he can't give away a Cervelo and his floor is filled with hybrids. Either be the steamroller or get steamrolled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Bugscreen?

That's a thing?
Yep. I don't like these getting inside my helmet.

ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #32754
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

Uvex is what I was looking at. The only issue is the screen covers just the first row of vents, across the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
My Rudy has one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
as does my spiuk
I'll look into those brands, as well. Thanks, guys.

FYI, Lazer has full screens, as well.

I'm going to drive the 100mi to STL and see what I can find. This sucks!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #32755
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,316
Really sucks to ride outside here still. Temps are in the teens and forecast lower for next week. So it was an hour on the rollers this morning and I'm headed out to XC ski for an hour or two now and next week is the final biathlon race. After that it should be less than a month, before it's reasonable to ride outside with any frequency.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #32756
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,471
Saturday ride

I was up at 0600 this morning and out the door at 0620. Our group ride starts at 0800 and the start is about 12-13 miles from my house. I've been leaving a little early, stopping at McD's for a quick bite of breakfast and then to the park were we start our rides.

My legs were kind of dead going over but I knew I'd warm up. Temps were in the low 50's so that was tolerable.

Today's ride came back to my neighborhood in "the foothills" and I was kind of dreading it. There are like three good climbs that our route takes us up and down where we cover each one without covering the same ground twice!

On the way over, there's a stretch where I can usually drop just about everyone and when you ride a recumbent, you take advantage of those sections knowing they get even on the climbs.

We made our first regroup stop at a little store and I stopped long enough to hit the head and then I was probably the first back out....again, knowing I'd get caught on the hills. On the way up the first (Number 1) climb, three guys passed me but I passed one before we topped out and I caught the other two on the downhill side.

We made a left turn onto Chandler and again, I was passed by a couple of riders on Number 2 that I caught on the downhill side. The next climb is a short but steep version - I'll call it Number 3.

From this one, we go back to Number 1 going the other way. It's a longer climb on this side but I kept the front guys mostly in my view. Back to Number 2, going the other way, and I made it just fine. We made the turn back to number 3, going to opposite way this time and then from there, I came home instead of riding back to the start with everyone else.

Total was just a tad over 35 miles. You can see the "peaks" here - fastest speed was just a bit over 44 mph.

Pretty good morning on the bike!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #32757
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 704
To summarize - so far:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
  • carbon and grand-fondo-ish, like a Specialized Roubaix (lower weight/slightly longer wheelbase and higher head tube).
  • Get a compact crank (they pretty much all come with it) and wide ratio gearing in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
  • flat handlebars vs Dropped handlebars (more hand positions) as first guiding step.
  • eyelets to accommodate racks and fenders
  • capability for a 42mm tire (strictly road bike, limited to ~28mm tires, pavement only)
  • Steel frames ride nicer than the average aluminum models. Carbon wouldn't be my choice, either. Titanium is very spendy, but, arguably the best of all worlds.
  • a 2X10 drivetrain simplifies things and shifts cleaner. Ideally, something with a compact crankset (50/34 or 48/34 gearing) with a cassette that has a 32-36T low gear would be best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
  • Fuji Gran Fondo and C-dale Synapse are both good bikes in the same genre as the Roubaix.
  • drop bars doesn't *have* to mean an aggressive position if you shop wisely. Look for 'endurance' geometry or 'randonneur' (sp?), geometry
  • There's more than one reason the guys that go fast are in the position they ride. Besides aerodynamics and comfort, the big reason is the further over you're leaning, the more you're using your butt muscles. ...guess which muscle group is the biggest in the body.

Great tips - this gives me a lot to think about.

My budget is around $1000-1500 and I'm willing to look at Craigslist.

I have to learn more about measurements and what size bike I should get. I have been playing around on a website putting in my measurements (not ideal because it's not all that easy to measure oneself) and come up with 60cm top tube.

I'm 5'10" and all arms and legs, what can I say? Does that even sound right? the guy at the shop I visited last Sunday estimated I'd need 56cm.

I also found out about 2x10 (my Trek 930 has three front gears and it's a PITA)

Looks like Gran Fondo bikes are going for 900-3000 on Craigslist locally

Here's an Argon 18 http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/4332792428.html

Cannondale Synapse http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/4341618164.html

Lots to think about... I better go find out what size bike I am looking for and start trying some out. Off to swim now...
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #32758
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,377
You are right to look at top tube length, but a 60cm top tube seems a bit long for someone that is 5' 10". I'm 5' 11" and ride a 58cm top tube, but am not super gangley. It may also be difficult to get comfortable if you are worried about being stretched out.

Best bet is to get to a shop and test ride some stuff. $1500 gets you a pretty decent new bike, but also possibly a much nicer used one. I'd say all the advice is right on the money, but would emphasize tire clearance. There are some very nice tires out there in the 32-35mm range that aren't too heavy, and I think fenders are the way to go.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #32759
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
I'm 6' tall and my bikes have 56.6-57mm top tube. I have long legs for my height.
I have 56cm, 58cm and a 60cm bikes, all with the top tubes in the range above. You can't go by seat tube length or "size".

Reach is affected by the seat tube angle. With the saddle in the same place relative to the BB, a steeper seat tube (i.e. 74 degrees) will require the saddle to be farther back in the post, increasing the reach to the bars. A shallower seat tube will do the opposite. So you need to take seat tube angle into account. Which is why they came up with stack and reach measurements, although not all manufacturers use them....

Too long a reach will have you feeling stretched out, especially if you're unwilling or unable to ride with a narrow hip angle (bent over at the waist).
You can use different length stems to tune the reach, but a super short stem means you're on a bike with too long a top tube. The reach on bars (to the hoods) also
varies.

35mm tires are friggen tractor tires. I'd use them for a loaded tour through Siberia but not for a multi-day catered tour. Especially in the mountains.

With your budget you can do new aluminium frame bikes. There's some nice ones, like the cannondale synapse.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #32760
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,243
After a long, cold, rainy, cold and long winter, I finally got off my ass and on my trainer today. About 25 minutes and I was shot. Long way to go before MTB season, but it's a start. I don't think I've ever longed for Spring to come as badly as I do now. Does that make sense?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: