Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post

Guess that was a rant
Damn Head!

Quote:
Nicely done!
I don't want to look at mine.
Shows 125 miles and 2,733 feet of climbing.
Strava has a lame excuse for summary as far as I can find. I wonder if the Wahoo thing will do a summary? Something to play with when I can ride.
Small steps man... you'll be back to big miles before you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Fucking jokeys!

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find use frames in bigger than smurf? I'm not even that big, I'm just long in the torso and longer in the arms (think 32" inseam and 24" sleeves)

My bike is a 23" and its a tad tall on the top tube and a tad short effective reach.....on a bike the dealer said was "too big for my height" till I sat on it.
Yeah, I really lucked up on this one. Though, the rear derailleur hanger and it's attachment bracket were damaged in shipping so I'm waiting on the least expensive parts of the bike just to get it out of my garage and rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Doesn't help me either.

">
Count: 14 Activities
Distance: 311.91 mi
Time: 26:28:28 h:m:

Slow winter for me. Lots of weather and the screw-its due to long hours and VERY cold nights.

M
Yeah, hopefully Old Man Winter stops being so damn crotchety and moves along soon.

Ridge screwed with this post 03-03-2014 at 05:43 AM
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #32747
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Yeah, hopefully Old Man Winter stops being so damn crotchety and moves along soon.
Ain't that the truth. In January I was eagerly anticipating next Saturday, which is the first mtb race of the season. Now that I've been off the bike so much because of weather and flu, I'm on the fence. Last week I was definitely slower on the trails than this time last year. They raised the entry fee and I might not even podium this time. Damn you, winter.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #32748
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,765
Ok guys....I've had it with winter. I need to lose some weight and I prefer cycling over running, so I'd like to get a trainer to put my roadie on so I can get my legs spinning. Suggestions for one that won't break the bank? And which is better, mag or fluid?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy
MN_Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #32749
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
I'm personally a fan of rollers over trainers because I like the concentration needed to stay fit on rollers. I've tried a few stationary trainers though and my favorites were the Kurt Kinetic and Cycleops JetFluid.

I'd like to try one of the new LeMond trainers with the cassette replacing the wheel/drum combo but have heard they are deafeningly loud.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #32750
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 634
I was looking to sell my CycleOps fluid trainer.
They are going for $200 and change on eBay.
I was thinking $150 and you cover the actual shipping.
PM me if you might be interested.
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #32751
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
They have capped this off by sending me a digital document to complete and sign and return.
Only they left out the function of digital signature on it. They have that disabled. They want me to fill it out, print it, and scan it and send it back. I have no printer, and no scanner. I am really trying hard to not use paper at home and in my work. In my work it is simple I don't need any paper ever. At home paper is junkmail.
photograph your signature, and photoshop it onto the document, send them that back.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #32752
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,829
HAha
The paper arrived today. I'm going to use a crayon to fill it out I think, or a big fat #2 pencil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
photograph your signature, and photoshop it onto the document, send them that back.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #32753
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,829
More importanter:
Wifey decided to use up some points yesterday. $200 and we're going to UK the end of May.
Working on ferry to Douglas from Liverpool now.
She is still working a place to sleep in Douglas or there about.
I keep trying to select things on this laptop with my finger. Too used to the iPad.

GPS app on the iPhone is fun. MotionX GPS Road. I'm going to use the cougar voice.

Meanwhile back on the UK.web... Trains and walking. I had better be back to walking good by then. I ain't right now. All that time on my back and butt, home sick left me with aching hips and knees. Lower back got abused with the coughing fits I guess, and not much stretching. I'll work that back into looseness.

Any suggestion are welcome. I plan a few wanders to the usual addresses and follow my nose a bit. When we were in Paris we wandered arond one whole day with no real aim other than to walk and eat and walk the eating off. We say a lot, ate a bit, in fact the best chicken roasted and perfectly seasoned, then wrapped in a big crepe. It was so simple and wonderfully good. If I ever get back there my goal is to tell those people at that bar how much I enjoyed that. It is still the benchmark for any chicken I prepare.
We're probably going to rent a flat in London. Wifey has found one she and I like not too far from a bunch of places. Jamie Oliver's place... museums and such.
Pomeroy's winebar... a few glasses of claret with "She who must be obeyed"...
My wife is nothing like Hilda though.
We are the sort of travelers who take aim at a destination and if something strikes our fancy along the way don't worry about getting where we were headed. We figure we're headed around and eventually we get around.
Or not.
Anyway, it appears my summer is booked. And my Spring is committed to preparation for RAGBRAI and a lot of walking about. Nope I'm not hiring a motorcycle or car. I plan on at least one cab ride and a lot of trains. I like trains.
... where's this here Hogwarts? They got a BnB?
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:46 AM   #32754
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
More importanter:
Wifey decided to use up some points yesterday. $200 and we're going to UK the end of May.
Working on ferry to Douglas from Liverpool now.
She is still working a place to sleep in Douglas or there about.
I keep trying to select things on this laptop with my finger. Too used to the iPad.

GPS app on the iPhone is fun. MotionX GPS Road. I'm going to use the cougar voice.

Meanwhile back on the UK.web... Trains and walking. I had better be back to walking good by then. I ain't right now. All that time on my back and butt, home sick left me with aching hips and knees. Lower back got abused with the coughing fits I guess, and not much stretching. I'll work that back into looseness.

Any suggestion are welcome. I plan a few wanders to the usual addresses and follow my nose a bit. When we were in Paris we wandered arond one whole day with no real aim other than to walk and eat and walk the eating off. We say a lot, ate a bit, in fact the best chicken roasted and perfectly seasoned, then wrapped in a big crepe. It was so simple and wonderfully good. If I ever get back there my goal is to tell those people at that bar how much I enjoyed that. It is still the benchmark for any chicken I prepare.
We're probably going to rent a flat in London. Wifey has found one she and I like not too far from a bunch of places. Jamie Oliver's place... museums and such.
We are the sort of travelers who take aim at a destination and if something strikes our fancy along the way don't worry about getting where we were headed. We figure we're headed around and eventually we get around.
Or not.
Anyway, it appears my summer is booked. And my Spring is committed to preparation for RAGBRAI and a lot of walking about. Nope I'm not hiring a motorcycle or car. I plan on at least one cab ride and a lot of trains. I like trains.
Enjoy the TT - I went a couple years ago and it truly is mind-blowing. First bike I saw on track was one of the marshalls. I figured he was going fast...nope, not even close

It truly amazes me what some human beings can do.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:21 AM   #32755
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,780
Quote:
Or not.
Despite all the warnings from Brits, I found British rail to be as good as any I've been on in continental Europe. The trains run on time, and prices aren't high (unlike everything else!). They're very crowded though, which could be a problem for your bad back if you have to stand a lot. Whatever you do, don't take a London cab; the prices they charge are insane. And be very careful when crossing the roads. Everyone there drives on the wrong side.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #32756
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,838
Bike Touring Special: 10 Questions With Endurance Cyclist Jay Petervary

An adventure rider who goes the distance. Cool read.

Link
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #32757
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
More importanter:
Download the "Field Trip" app. It gives you all the sights and historic attractions, and directions, wherever you are. It's awesome.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #32758
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post

Link
The most inspiring cyclist, IMHO. I absolutely idolize him.

BTW, he just won the Aerohead 135, with temps down to -40 degrees. His wife took 5th overall and won the women's class.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #32759
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
the most inspiring cyclist, imho. I absolutely idolize him.

btw, he just won the aerohead 135, with temps down to -40 degrees. His wife took 5th overall and won the women's class.

More than Lance?
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #32760
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post

Link
I watched a cool video on his continental divide record ride, pretty damn cool. Dude is a machine, no doubt about it.
I am planning on doing the northern half of that ride for my 50th in a few years although my daily miles will be way less than what he was doing.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: