Oddometer: 1,403
Charlotte Convention Center
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #33003
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,929
Thanks for sharing those with us Ridge.
Silly question: Why do you see so many CX bikes with deep dish aero wheels?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #33004
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,403
I'd say they targeted a lot of those "CX" bikes more as gravel grinders where a deeper section rim could have an aero advantage... but I also recall reading an article awhile back touting the benefits of a deeper section rim being better at shedding mud in CX.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/deep-secti...cross-magazine

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...-in-mud_151431
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #33005
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,737
Baahahahaha!

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2014...inox-gets.html

Quote:
Mario's Albino Tadpole said...

Snob..no wonder you sucked at racing of the bicycles. Try shifting your scanus back when climbing instead of forward. You will make better use of your glutes and hamstrings that way. Only go on the rivet when you want to get low and aero.

JANUARY 3, 2014 AT 7:57 PM

Nonsense. Climbing is like intercourse: sometimes you need to change positions. You don't just park your scranus in one spot and grind away. Whether you're talking about your saddle or your bed, at various times you should be fore, aft, or even out of it altogether.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #33006
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I may have a kooky suggestion if you're still thinking about a standard bike. How rough are the roads/trails?

I have a Trek hybrid with 32c tires and I have a mountain bike with 2.3" tires. Both have rigid non-suspension forks. The mountain bike is like a Cadillac on the road because of the high volume tires. If the roads and trails aren't too overly rough, you might be able to get by with a little higher volume tire(not necessarily as big as 2.3) and not need the suspension fork. The downside to the higher volume tire is it won't be as efficient to peddle.

The suspension fork is less simple, more heavy, more maintenance, and you might get peddle bob. On top of that, you may or may not get the performance you expect from the suspension fork on that bikes direct bike. I'm not anti suspension(I run one on my mountain bike from time to time), it would just be my last resort for a road going bike unless the roads/trails were a lot more rough and I knew I definitely needed it. It's just something else to consider.

I don't know of any specific bikes off hand but I'm sure there are road going bikes with a little higher volume tires. Maybe someone else can chime in, or tell me I'm an idiot. You might look at some of the bigger manufactures online to see what they have then do some test rides to see what may or may not work for you.
Thanks for the suggestion. Hoping to do some test rides as the weather gets better. Knowing my physical challenges I don't think strictly larger volume tires are going to do the trick, but hopefully the test rides will answer that question. Though I was never a fast rider, speed is relative I suppose. I'm telling myself anything I get combined with my challenges is going to be significantly slower than I was, and even though I have to sacrifice speed for comfort I don't want to wind up feeling like I'm riding a tank.

The search continues…
I spent the week in Tampa for work. On Wednesday I got to do a test ride on a Specialized Expedition Sport and really liked it. I got back to Ohio late Thursday night and went bike shopping yesterday. In the end my appreciation for individualized help, availability of test rides, and fitment advice available in a brick and mortar shop outweighed the cheaper price and/or better componentry for the same money available online from places like bikes direct. I rode a couple of choices in the comfort/hybrid category and went right back to the expedition sport. It was the only bike I rode that wasn't causing a bunch of pain in one place or another, and being middle aged/out of shape I really appreciated their use of 24/34/42 front chainrings whenever I encountered any hills. So I pulled the trigger. I know it's not a fast bike and it's a bit heavy for sure, but if I'm not comfortable I know I'm not going to ride it so comfort won out. I pretty much ran out of gear on yesterday's test ride on a decently sloped downhill and would estimate that to be about 23-25 mph based on my cadence in top gear and the gearing calculators I plugged the gear ranges into. Again, not a fast bike, but damn comfortable and will hopefully allow me to get back into some kind of reasonable shape.

I'm a fair weather rider (upper 50's or better and no rain) so it's sitting on the trainer downstairs right now. Looks like it's going to be that way until a week from tomorrow. Jesus, will this winter ever end?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #33007
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,593
Quick 1:10 on the mtn bike after work tonite.

So far, tubeless is good. Feels like a tube with a latex innertube.

...but if you ride too low a pressure () it feels like the tire's rolling over on itself like my tubulars do when I'm racing and I don't have enough air in em. Kinda freaky as well as nice knowing that if you hit something, you're not pinching

M
Old 03-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #33008
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Quick 1:10 on the mtn bike after work tonite.

So far, tubeless is good. Feels like a tube with a latex innertube.

...but if you ride too low a pressure () it feels like the tire's rolling over on itself like my tubulars do when I'm racing and I don't have enough air in em. Kinda freaky as well as nice knowing that if you hit something, you're not pinching

M

So now that you've riden the 27.5 for while how do you like it?
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:30 AM   #33009
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,357
13F out this morning.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #33010
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
13F out this morning.
Yeah, I know.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #33011
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
So now that you've riden the 27.5 for while how do you like it?
So far so good. More similar than dissimilar to 26ers.

...which is good for how I ride.

I was out on it last nite. Started riding in '87 on a Rockhopper. It was a steel bike that weighed 27#. Added a Manitou 2 and it went up to 30#.

Now, 27 years later I'm on a steel mtn bike again that weighs appx 26#.

Talk about coming full circle!

M
Old 03-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #33012
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
I have some old XC Pro thumb shifters & roller cam brakes if you want to come full circle, and a pair of onza pedals somewhere I think.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #33013
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

xc pro? Good stuff. Rollercams and OnZa pedals? Pass. There's a pair of OnZas on my bench. Talked the lady that was sill riding em into upgrading to 520s

M
Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #33014
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Yeah, never used the pedals, still think XC pro is excellent stuff, not the roller cam's though. Had an MB 1 w/ XC pro and loved it. That was one I wish I kept.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:57 AM   #33015
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Yeah, never used the pedals, still think XC pro is excellent stuff, not the roller cam's though. Had an MB 1 w/ XC pro and loved it. That was one I wish I kept.
OnZa pedals *almost* made me swear off off-road clipless pedals forever.

Thank doG Speedplay had Magnums out when I needed em! (still have em in my bin o parts too cause the spindles are the same as the X pedals )

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: