Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 292 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #33046
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Raleigh Tamland
Oops! Forgot that one. Curved, steel fork, FTW.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #33047
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,260
Brought in my road bike for a checkup a few days ago only to be told that my chain was trashed and needed replacing. I don't know how it could have stretched so far with less than 600 miles on it. Either those high end chains are crap, or I've gotten really strong.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #33048
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Brought in my road bike for a checkup a few days ago only to be told that my chain was trashed and needed replacing. I don't know how it could have stretched so far with less than 600 miles on it. Either those high end chains are crap, or I've gotten really strong.
On your mountain or road bike? On my bike, all I worry about is usually stretch.

The tool to check the stretch of a chain is about $8-10 bucks. Nice to have hanging around when you want to check.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #33049
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
On your mountain or road bike? On my bike, all I worry about is usually stretch.
Road bike.

Quote:
The tool to check the stretch of a chain is about $8-10 bucks. Nice to have hanging around when you want to check.
I've asked several techs about it, and they say that while the SRAM Red chain is designed more for performance than endurance. None of them were all that surprised that it wore out so soon. They suggested that I could opt for a more durable and cheaper replacement next time around, but that it won't be as light weight. If it's true that you have to replace a cassette every two chain swaps, I may just do it. God only knows how much another SRAM Red cassette is going to cost me.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #33050
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Nice work on the double. I've ridden the Prelude, which is their metric in Oct/Nov quite a few times, but never done the full. And a double isn't even on my bucket list.
I never did the double but did the Solvang century 5 times, iirc. My fav century, start when you want, nice folks, perfect terrain. Two killer hills, but nothing insurmountable. My best time was 5:45 with stops.

I got cocky one year: didn't do any long training rides, nothing over 50, most around 40. I had knocked off a year with several fast centuries, I figured I had plenty of base training so worked on speed. I got in with several fast groups, we worked well together. At mile 60 or so, i think we were @2:40, I was figuring I was going to be doing my first close to five hour century.

Then I hit Foxen Canyon Road. Goes for miles, barely perceptible grade. Well, maybe a little perceptible. I had water up to that point but no food, and i bonked. Big time. Pinwheels in my eyes. I had to get off my bike and fell over on the side of the road. I seriously considered calling my then wife to pick me up. But I had no phone

What seemed like an eternity later, I got up, and pedaled slowly. Someone gave me a Clif bar. A few guys and gals i had dropped earlier came up and goaded me along. By the time i got to the serpentine very steep hill at the end of Foxen Canyon, I recovered. I finished ok, felt good even, and that night in bed my legs spasmed so bad I was up all night.

The moral: train, eat, drink, and don't get cocky. Although out of my 15 or so centuries, it is the one I remember the best

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #33051
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
I have never had a chain wear out in 600 miles. That's less than a month's worth of riding!
I suspect the shop guys are BSing you. Unless maybe you use sand for chain lube.

The KMC chains I use go at least 4 months and that's with being conservative about replacing them. As soon as the shifting deterioriates at all they're gone. Or if they hit .75 on the Park chain checker. But that way I don't wear the cassettes much and they can go 3-4 chains.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #33052
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
I have never had a chain wear out in 600 miles. That's less than a month's worth of riding!
I suspect the shop guys are BSing you. Unless maybe you use sand for chain lube.

The KMC chains I use go at least 4 months and that's with being conservative about replacing them. As soon as the shifting deterioriates at all they're gone. Or if they hit .75 on the Park chain checker. But that way I don't wear the cassettes much and they can go 3-4 chains.
The Park chain tool great to have. Really if your shifting isn't wonky your chain is probably fine.I replace mine at the .75 mark also. I've been told that .75 replace the chain if it gets to 1.0 replace the chain and cassette.BTW I get way more than that an a Dura Ace chain at least triple that. I can't say anything about Scram stuff.I would guess it's about the same.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #33053
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,970
Quote:
Road bike.

I've asked several techs about it, and they say that while the SRAM Red chain is designed more for performance than endurance. None of them were all that surprised that it wore out so soon. They suggested that I could opt for a more durable and cheaper replacement next time around, but that it won't be as light weight. If it's true that you have to replace a cassette every two chain swaps, I may just do it. God only knows how much another SRAM Red cassette is going to cost me.
Personal opinion: skip Red or D/A for wear items.

Lots of $ for just a little weight reduction and less durability

I'm fixin to have 12 or so 10sp cassettes for sale in the FM if anyone's interested. I'm in the process of going 11, so all my 10sp stuff is obsolete

M
Old 03-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #33054
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Personal opinion: skip Red or D/A for wear items.

Lots of $ for just a little weight reduction and less durability

I'm fixin to have 12 or so 10sp cassettes for sale in the FM if anyone's interested. I'm in the process of going 11, so all my 10sp stuff is obsolete

M
They just keep going and going will it ever stop.Granted I love my 10sp to the old 8 and 9 sp speed stuff. I just figured 10 would be close to all they could do without dish and durability prolems.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:17 AM   #33055
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
They just keep going and going will it ever stop.Granted I love my 10sp to the old 8 and 9 sp speed stuff. I just figured 10 would be close to all they could do without dish and durability prolems.
I've heard there's patents out there for more cogs in the cassette, but I'm betting that without going to 135 spacing, we've hit the limit.

M
Old 03-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #33056
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,934
Quote:
Road bike.

But dood, think of all those KOMs
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #33057
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
The only Red or DA item that arguably wears faster than it's less expensive equivalent is the DA titanium cassette cogs. Red (10sp) cassettes are all steel. Red and DA chains are all steel and last the same or longer than their cheaper brethern. The top end derailleurs and shifters are made with the same type of parts as the next level down, maybe an extra carbon part here and there. But hardly anyone wears out a derailleur.

Interestingly, even though I do a lot of climbing and use the larger cogs (the ones that are Ti on a DA cassette) more than most people, I don't find that they wear out faster than Ultegra. It's still the smaller cogs that wear out first and those are steel on the DA cassette.

Of course when it comes to the cost vs performance, the performance difference from DA/Red to the next level down is small while the price jump is generally large. And while they don't wear faster than the cheaper parts, they don't wear slower either. So the cost per unit of use is higher. This is why I use Ultegra or 105 cassettes and the mid level KMC chains for most training.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #33058
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Mid- to upper 30s?

Blowing sideways?

Rain/sleet/snow?

Another good day for sitting on my assets

M
Old 03-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #33059
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,762
I rode my dirt bike today.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #33060
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
Of course when it comes to the cost vs performance, the performance difference from DA/Red to the next level down is small while the price jump is generally large. And while they don't wear faster than the cheaper parts, they don't wear slower either. So the cost per unit of use is higher. This is why I use Ultegra or 105 cassettes and the mid level KMC chains for most training.
+10

That's why I ordered my TT bike with the "cheap" Ultegra setup rather than the much more expensive Dura Ace. Unfortunately I didn't have a choice on the road bike because it was a steeply discounted 2012 model they had lying around.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: