Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #33106
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ray View Post
Monday and then Today in Pisgah. First is upper Sycamore, second is the top of Thrift Cove/Lower Black mountain.

11 or 12 mile loops each time.
3 of us are bringing our mtbs to Brevard tomorrow for riding on Friday and Saturday. Got any must ride trail recommendations in Pisgah or DuPont State Forest? We all have XC 29er bikes with around 120mm of travel so no interest in 6 foot drops or showoff youtube stunts, but we're in shape and up for a good challenge.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #33107
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Dropped like a bad habit. Twice!

...or...

Which guy (pointing at me) hasn't been doing intervals.

Another Wed ride. Another trip OTB. This time it started early as the guy who owns the shop we ride from (and a Cat 1) jumped up the first stretch of road to impress Joe D (back from EUR).

I'd ridden over and had felt OK coming to the shop, but the cold and standing around for 30min didn't do me any favors.

First lap: did OK. Was in the middle of the 2nd group on the road right behind Joe D. Second lap? Legs assploded around halfway thru the lap and I rode in with big Dave.

...and proceeded to get dropped when everyone started getting froggy on the first uphill after the long downhill. Legs just didn't have it.

Its getting better, but I'm not where I was this time last year.

Oh, and I now have a new-to-me 02 Ford Focus. Had $20 in my pocket after paying the guy cash and found out that $20 gets me half a tank. Beats $60 getting me half a tank!

M
Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #33108
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
3 of us are bringing our mtbs to Brevard tomorrow for riding on Friday and Saturday. Got any must ride trail recommendations in Pisgah or DuPont State Forest? We all have XC 29er bikes with around 120mm of travel so no interest in 6 foot drops or showoff youtube stunts, but we're in shape and up for a good challenge.
To me the whole area around Brevard is amazing. Hit thrift/black grassy to upper sycamore then grassy to lower sycamore. Or you can do Avery's Creek to Maxwell to upper Black. Upper Black is really fun, but I think there will be some hike a bike for all but experts there.

For the most ridiculous fun you can have go hit DuPont State Forest. DuPont has no real bad climbing and a great amount of flowing and fast descents.

I'd love to get out Saturday if you have time.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #33109
barryadam
Diamond in the back

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Mine is a 1999 model, I think. It's silver and I love it.

Gary lives over the hill from us in San Anselmo, I think. He was one of the guys in Klunkerz.

Living in Marin is kinda neat like that.
The original hippie hisself was the celeb for the opening race last year. I told him I was racing my 2007 Tassajara up to 2012. Got him to sign my number plate. Cool Dude.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:12 AM   #33110
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
To me the whole area around Brevard is amazing. Hit thrift/black grassy to upper sycamore then grassy to lower sycamore. Or you can do Avery's Creek to Maxwell to upper Black. Upper Black is really fun, but I think there will be some hike a bike for all but experts there.

For the most ridiculous fun you can have go hit DuPont State Forest. DuPont has no real bad climbing and a great amount of flowing and fast descents.

Thanks for the trail intel. Yeah, we plan on riding Saturday and it would be great to have a local show us around. PM'd you my cell number.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 04-24-2014, 05:55 AM   #33111
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Quote:

Poo... I'll be racing Cohutta this Saturday or I'd join!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #33112
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Poo... I'll be racing Cohutta this Saturday or I'd join!
Good luck Ridge. I thought of you as I ripped past some mtb riders on my KTM 525 at 60+ mph on the fire road above Thunder Rock two Sundays ago. I'll warn my dual sport riding buddies not to cover you in dust. At least the weather will be better this time.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #33113
Ridge
Sinister Kid

True that! I'm seriously looking forward to a more enjoyable race experience compared to last year. Just heard that Jeremiah Bishop will be racing this year as well. Should be some good fireworks from the front runners.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #33114
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,829
Well, got the feedback from the knee doc. No surgery required.
Now the bad news yes it is painful, nothing to do old age genetics and an ill-spent youth, er fun times are paid for later.
Arthritis. Not bad enough build up and degeneration to warrant a replacement. Something I'm glad of.
Plus this is the first doc to tell me that riding my bicycle is good for me.!
Perfect.
So as soon as I can get my work schedule fiddled to meet my cycling needs I'll begin during the week. As for the weekends, I plan on riding both days.

I need to knuckle down and ride all the time. Light at first for a few weeks then long and easy. RAGBRAI is the end of July. I need to be where that is painless. Well, mostly.

I'll need to go buy that replacement gear I've been putting off.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #33115
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Great news Head!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #33116
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,689
perfect indeed. congrats!

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Well, got the feedback from the knee doc. No surgery required... riding my bicycle is good for me.!
Perfect..

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #33117
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Yeah, great news! Happy riding!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #33118
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Great news,Knee replacements have a long recovery process. Only for those with serious bone to bone arthritis. DAMHIKT.

Just remember what doesn't kill you will make you stronger

No, seriously, Enjoy riding again.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #33119
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,829
Thanks guys, I just spent two hours out on the quad shagging missiles for a company kids at work thing. That was more workout than my knee wanted.

And by the time we got packed up the cafeteria was closed. Short coffee and a dried out danish from the mock-Starbucks.

I'll rest tonight and clean up the bicycle in preparation for Saturday.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #33120
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
I'll be doing this ride on Sunday:

http://finishtheride.org/

Long story short, last year a cyclist was hit and dragged onto a freeway offramp by a minivan driver who took off and hasn't been found yet. The cyclist lost his leg due to some very severe injuries. He vowed to ride again and this ride will be a fundraiser for the LA City Bike Coalition and their efforts to improve LA's hit-and-run problem.

The start and finish areas are close enough to my house to make it a nice 40mi loop by the time I'm done.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: